ADVERTISEMENT

Star injured???

Spencer tore another ACL at Big Tens but still won it all. It wasn't catastrophic. A catastrophe is something that leads to some ruin or a tragedy.
A torn ACL is literally the definition of a catastrophic injury. Being able to compete or even win with the injury is irrelevant. Those injuries require surgery to be repaired, they do not heal themselves and if left untreated will cause major mobility/ stability issues.

What a weird ass hill to climb and die on.

Reactions: mcpat and ff141
A torn ACL is literally the definition of a catastrophic injury. Being able to compete or even win with the injury is irrelevant. Those injuries require surgery to be repaired, they do not heal themselves and if left untreated will cause major mobility/ stability issues.

But it’s our hill, and we LIKE our hills.

Wel, it appears you've joined me on this "weird ass hill." Welcome fellow weirdo.

I've had an ACL, MCL, and LCL tear. I know what they're like and I know they're serious. Remember, the context was Jason Nolf. Nolf's knee injury was not catastrophic. He didn't even have surgery.

Maybe we just have a different definition of the term. I can understand that. Are you sure you know what "literally" means? I see people use that incorrectly often. Do you know what "catastrophic" means? I think the loosest definition one could use in this context is "extreme misfortune." I can agree with that here. The more common use is that it leads to "utter overthrow" or "ruin." Being able to compete and win a national championship on it proves there was no catastrophic result. It wasn't a catastrophe that way.

What happened to Iowa's might team in 2022 was catastrophic, imo, in sport's way. It lead to "utter overthrow" and "ruin" when it came to the championships. What a decimated team.

Wel, it appears you've joined me on this "weird ass hill." Welcome fellow weirdo.

I've had an ACL, MCL, and LCL tear. I know what they're like and I know they're serious. Remember, the context was Jason Nolf. Nolf's knee injury was not catastrophic. He didn't even have surgery.

Maybe we just have a different definition of the term. I can understand that. Are you sure you know what "literally" means? I see people use that incorrectly often. Do you know what "catastrophic" means? I think the loosest definition one could use in this context is "extreme misfortune." I can agree with that here. The more common use is that it leads to "utter overthrow" or "ruin." Being able to compete and win a national championship on it proves there was no catastrophic result. It wasn't a catastrophe that way.

What happened to Iowa's might team in 2022 was catastrophic, imo, in sport's way. It lead to "utter overthrow" and "ruin" when it came to the championships. What a decimated team.
So it wasn’t catastrophic for Spencer, but would be for most normal athletes.

So it wasn’t catastrophic for Spencer, but would be for most normal athletes.
Yeah, I agree to a large degree. I think the knees were pretty responsible for him not being a 4-timer. The covid year was catastrophic, imo. But for Nolf, it ended up not being that catastrophic in the short or long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gutt15
Yeah, I agree to a large degree. I think the knees were pretty responsible for him not being a 4-timer. The covid year was catastrophic, imo. But for Nolf, it ended up not being that catastrophic in the short or long run.
Definitely was the major factor for him not being 4 timer. We can see now he really needed 2 years to recover from double ACL replacements. He’s got nothing on his knees now. I can’t remember him ever not having something on his knees in college. If Spencer could start training for his final year in college now, he would have breezed to his 4th title.

I also have had a major reconstructive surgery, so you're preaching to the choir, bub. And I know what the word means, I did not choose it lightly.

You're confusing catastrophic physical injuries with catastrophic team based results - two very different things. You're incorrectly applying a Webster's Dictionary definition to a medical diagnosis.

Remove all sports, results, performances, stats, and records and take an ACL injury at face value for what it is - a catastrophic injury, which can take months if not years to fully recover from depending on the severity and recovery and that's assuming the individual is able to even have the surgery.
Now imagine they don't/ can't. I think you could classify that as a little more than "extreme misfortune," don't you think?

Damn near the entire medical community would agree that you are wrong.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and el dub
I also have had a major reconstructive surgery, so you're preaching to the choir, bub. And I know what the word means, I did not choose it lightly.

You're confusing catastrophic physical injuries with catastrophic team based results - two very different things. You're incorrectly applying a Webster's Dictionary definition to a medical diagnosis.

Remove all sports, results, performances, stats, and records and take an ACL injury at face value for what it is - a catastrophic injury, which can take months if not years to fully recover from depending on the severity and recovery and that's assuming the individual is able to even have the surgery.
Now imagine they don't/ can't. I think you could classify that as a little more than "extreme misfortune," don't you think?

Bub……… that’s cold…

Reactions: 12tdsaw

Well, I was originally addressing the statement that Nolf had a catastrophic knee injury. I don't think by the medical or Webster's dictionary it was catastrophic.

We're in the woods here. My main point was in defending the Hawks in light of a PSUer implying they've had it as bad as us in this area. They can cry me a river.

Peace to you, Hawkeye brother.

What Jason Nolf and Spencer Lee did against the best kids in the nation with their injuries was incredible and very, very few could match those performances. We don't know the severity of Carter's injury, but, we may find out if he is capable of the same.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
What Jason Nolf and Spencer Lee did against the best kids in the nation with their injuries was incredible and very, very few could match those performances. We don't know the severity of Carter's injury, but, we may find out if he is capable of the same.
NOT to take ANYTHING away from what Nolf did, but comparing it to Spencer Lee is not even in the same solar system!!!! While being even able to wrestle with such an injury is remarkable!!! To wrestle at a high level, and to be able to WIN, does not even make sense to me as how it can be done!?!?!?

That being said, to do it with a single injury one time is what I am referring to. Spencer Lee did it over and over again, with injury after injury!!! NEVER seen anything like it before!!! Believe I will NEVER see anything like it again!!!

NOT to take ANYTHING away from what Nolf did, but comparing it to Spencer Lee is not even in the same solar system!!!! While being even able to wrestle with such an injury is remarkable!!! To wrestle at a high level, and to be able to WIN, does not even make sense to me as how it can be done!?!?!?

That being said, to do it with a single injury one time is what I am referring to. Spencer Lee did it over and over again, with injury after injury!!! NEVER seen anything like it before!!! Believe I will NEVER see anything like it again!!!
NOT to take ANYTHING away from what Spencer did, but, you are correct, comparing them is not fair. While one of them was tech-falling Micah Jordan in the semis on his way to a national championship on one leg, Spencer Lee was counting the lights before being pinned in his semi-final match.

Yianni won an NCAA title with no ACL. Spencer had his fixed and had no tear in his ACL his SR year. Spencer was healthy and had no injuries. Not sure why people are acting like he was injured he wasn't. He definitely was during his career and in other years but his final year he wasn't injured. The man said excuses are for wussies so he definitely doesn't want others making them for him

Yianni won an NCAA title with no ACL. Spencer had his fixed and had no tear in his ACL his SR year. Spencer was healthy and had no injuries. Not sure why people are acting like he was injured he wasn't. He definitely was during his career and in other years but his final year he wasn't injured. The man said excuses are for wussies so he definitely doesn't want others making them for him

This factual post will NOT be well received here.

Nolf was gifted a semi final win over Hidlay.

That was a different season. The takedown that got taken away happened at the end of the 1st period. Do you think maybe, just maybe Nolf would have wrestled differently the rest of the match if he were trailing 2-0? None of us know what would have happened. I can tell you this, I'm from the same hometown as the HIdlay's and Hayden said that you can't blame his loss on that lost takedown, as he realizes the match would have been wrestled differently if he had been given the takedown.

The Hidlay's are complete class acts. I'm a PSU fan, but, if Hayden had beaten Nolf or Trent beats Brooks, I certainly would not be upset.

Agreed that he wasn’t injured per se, but he also wasn’t 100%

It was posted on the 1st page of this post that Starocci would not do Big Tens and then probably take the 4th seed at NCAAS and go from there... but I think it a terrible disservice to the original #2 seed who now moves into that top bracket and has to face #4 in the semis rather than meeting him in the Finals.... the number 3 seed has to be elated if he gets away without facing the 2 seed and has an easier path to the Finals... maybe i am wrong but this is how I see this playing out

Agreed 100%. This is an example of where human intervention to do the sensible thing should occur rather than going with formulas/standards.

Reactions: PSUWrestling2425
You spend a lot of time taking shots at Spencer.
No one is making “excuses” for Spencer but when a douche like you continues to take shots at him most here are going to stand up for him.

You spend a lot of time taking shots at Spencer.
No one is making “excuses” for Spencer but when a douche like you continues to take shots at him most here are going to stand up for him.
Not taking any shots at Spencer at all . He was injured most of his career but his SR year he was actually healthy. He won multiple titles with bad knees as did Yianni. Many guys have competed and won with no ACLs. Many believe he should've been given a chance to qualify the weight at Pan ams and I don't. That's not taking shots it's my opinion. He will have a chance soon and is now 100% healthy.

• Haha
Reactions: LIV4GOD
Not taking any shots at Spencer at all . He was injured most of his career but his SR year he was actually healthy. He won multiple titles with bad knees as did Yianni. Many guys have competed and won with no ACLs. Many believe he should've been given a chance to qualify the weight at Pan ams and I don't. That's not taking shots it's my opinion. He will have a chance soon and is now 100% healthy.
You're actually delusional, Corby.

NOT to take ANYTHING away from what Spencer did, but, you are correct, comparing them is not fair. While one of them was tech-falling Micah Jordan in the semis on his way to a national championship on one leg, Spencer Lee was counting the lights before being pinned in his semi-final match.

Call me old school but facts matter

You TWOOO idiots play dumb ALL the time or are you actually really this stupid????

1) SPENCER LEE WON 3 and was NVER 100%!!!
2) He WON as a TRUE Freshman after coming off surgery
3) IF you really think he was 100% his senior year? You certainly do NOT know much of anything about the sport!!! Also you certainly should NOT be on this board!!! Go back to you GARBAGE board and talk all stupid over there!!!

Reactions: el dub and T8KUDWN
He wasn’t “actually healthy” last year & he's not at 100% now, but he’s definitely going in the right direction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT