ADVERTISEMENT

Starting to wonder if Winston beats out Garza for POTY?

It was a little more than "one loss," it was a beat down, @ home, delivered by the 10th place team in the Big Ten, a team that scored 37 points in the entire game against Illinois and, more often than not, has looked like a middle school girls team on the road. It was senior night in Iowa City. Iowa was in the running for a share of the Big Ten title, a double bye in the conference tourney, and a 4 seed in the NCAA. And THAT was the effort Iowa fans saw?

Inexplicable. We all know college basketball has been crazy this year, but for Iowa to lose that game last night the way they did to the team they did under all those circumstances is mind-boggling.

Maybe the Hawkeyes win @ Illinois, but what if they don't? They'll likely lose their first game in the conference tourney--again--and lose in the first round of the NCAA--again--as, what, maybe a 9 or 10 seed?

The whole season is about to circle the drain. Maybe the Hawkeyes regroup and go on a run, but there's little reason, little evidence, to suggest they will after what we saw last night, IMHO.

BTW: I'll be shocked if the Izzo factor doesn't result in Winston being named Big Ten POY over Garza. Absolutely shocked. Those who believe otherwise may need to readjust those Hawkeye shades. Garza has earned it, but Winston will win it, so you might as well prepare yourselves.

We have some real men of genius posting in this thread. Garza is an absolute lock for B1G POY. Put your money where your mouth is if you’re so confident in anyone else winning it. In fact, I’ll take Garza -500. You put up 100 to win 500 on the field and I’ll take Garza -500 to win 100. I’ll accept bets up to $500. Who’s down?

Fran is COY with a number of the posters.
Fran has done a very nice job but losing 3 of last 4 would pump the brakes on that sentiment...although I'm definitely not conceding a loss Sunday. If garza didn't work his ass off and improve that much we probably are headed to NIT at best. Last night was disappointing but just thrilled we are dancing with all the adversity.

It was a little more than "one loss," it was a beat down, @ home, delivered by the 10th place team in the Big Ten, a team that scored 37 points in the entire game against Illinois and, more often than not, has looked like a middle school girls team on the road. It was senior night in Iowa City. Iowa was in the running for a share of the Big Ten title, a double bye in the conference tourney, and a 4 seed in the NCAA. And THAT was the effort Iowa fans saw?

Inexplicable. We all know college basketball has been crazy this year, but for Iowa to lose that game last night the way they did to the team they did under all those circumstances is mind-boggling.

Maybe the Hawkeyes win @ Illinois, but what if they don't? They'll likely lose their first game in the conference tourney--again--and lose in the first round of the NCAA--again--as, what, maybe a 9 or 10 seed?

The whole season is about to circle the drain. Maybe the Hawkeyes regroup and go on a run, but there's little reason, little evidence, to suggest they will after what we saw last night, IMHO.

BTW: I'll be shocked if the Izzo factor doesn't result in Winston being named Big Ten POY over Garza. Absolutely shocked. Those who believe otherwise may need to readjust those Hawkeye shades. Garza has earned it, but Winston will win it, so you might as well prepare yourselves.
My god, just jump. One loss.

Fran has done a good job with the hand dealt this year. We are gonna lose some games and like I have to tell my 6 year old “we aren’t going win every game”

Why does 1 win not have the same effect as 1 loss on posting abilities?

Garza has not had a single bad game in the Big10. The ONLY reason they would give it to Winston would be for a career achievement award.

Reactions: chuck285

This

We have some real men of genius posting in this thread. Garza is an absolute lock for B1G POY. Put your money where your mouth is if you’re so confident in anyone else winning it. In fact, I’ll take Garza -500. You put up 100 to win 500 on the field and I’ll take Garza -500 to win 100. I’ll accept bets up to $500. Who’s down?
Not betting, just agreeing with you that Luka is almost a lock for B1G POY and first-team All American.

It would not surprise me in the least that LG would not be selected as BIG player of the year. Wrong but not surprising.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

I get it, you are venting......and that's cool. But if you are gonna go all nuclear as least let the facts remain in tact. It might have fit your narrative better to say they will "lose in the first round of the NCAA--again--" but the last 3 times they have been there they have won their first round game. Plus came one bounce of the ball from taking down a 2 seed in the second round.

Some voters are going to vote for best player on the best team.

That would not be Garza, of course.

Nah. Garza had it in the bag over a month ago. He dominated the league, while Winston's middling teammates ruined his chances.

Holy fuking overreaction.

I'm pretty pissed at that awful effort but if you think Iowa would drop to a 10 seed in that scenario or that the pu game has any bearing in what will happen in the btt or ncaa your an absolute fool.

Garza has not had a single bad game in the Big10. The ONLY reason they would give it to Winston would be for a career achievement award.
More like team award......

FWIW, in the last 10 years, the worst team to have a CPOY was 2013 Michigan, when Trey Burke won it.

They finished tied for 4th with Wisconsin and were the 5 see in the BTT. They lost to Wisconsin in the Quarterfinals..............

And then proceeded to make a run in the NCAA Tournament to the National Championship game. :D

Lol at what one loss does to some people.

Well with MSU now in position to share a BigTen Title the media is all about the Spartans and don't factor out "his brothers suicide" as a narrative to garner support for Winston. He delivered when it counted against Iowa in E. Lansing and has continued to help team make the big wins down the stretch, where Garza is putting up big numbers but not the big wins needed at crunch time. This will be a factor in some voting members?

You mean like last season where they ended the regular season much the same way and were only an overtime loss away from the sweet 16?

Fran is 3-1 in first round games in the tournament. Only first round loss being against Twnnesee in overtime.

Holy fuking overreaction.

I'm pretty pissed at that awful effort but if you think Iowa would drop to a 10 seed in that scenario or that the pu game has any bearing in what will happen in the btt or ncaa your an absolute fool.
This...people need to get a grip.

You'd think in the rematch we would have used what we learned from the first meeting. Fran said last night that the team will learn from this and get better. :eek:

Some voters are going to vote for best player on the best team.

That would not be Garza, of course.
Not always, but never underestimate the media's love for anything MSU. In 2016, Indiana wins the league by 2 games yet Denzel Valentine is POY over Yogi Ferrell. The media is dying to be on Izzo's good side.

Dude get a grip come off the ledge.

Nah. Garza had it in the bag over a month ago. He dominated the league, while Winston's middling teammates ruined his chances.

You want to talk middling teammates look at the stats from our loss last night... Granted they typically play better but last night was a key example if when Garza has to do it on his own.

I don't think Winston will win because the expectations for MSU were much higher and he has performed as expected. However, Garza and way exceeded expectations.

You're ignoring the "Michigan St." angle. By practically any measure, Luka should be the overwhelming choice, but I can hear Tiny Tommy lobbying for Winston even as I type this.

Winston did not even make the Naismith Semifinal cut.

Those who did:

Udoka Azubuike (Kansas)
Vernon Carey Jr. (Duke)
Devon Dotson (Kansas)
Malachi Flynn (San Diego St)
Luka Garza (Iowa)
Markus Howard (Marquette)
Myles Powell (Seton Hall)
Payton Pritchard (Oregon)
Jalen Smith (MD)
Obi Toppin (Dayton)

I want Garza to win POTY in the B1G and I think he SHOULD.

But the controversy of him losing the B1G POTY, but winning that NATIONAL POTY, would almost be worth it.

Reactions: hawkeyekid

WPOTY

Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT