ADVERTISEMENT

Where there’s smoke…..

Fran (& most P5 coaches) makes plenty. His kids have been on schollie. Any coach could drop a couple hundred k (or give through a collective) to help get the roster they really needed. It would enhance his program, record, and in turn, lead to pay raises in new or re-negotiated C's.

Interesting thought... Can a coach "donate" to a NIL collective?

Fran! Hurry up and ask for a 2 million per year raise, so you can turn around and give it to the Swarm!

Even better, I'll "work" for the university as a consultant for 2 million a year, I promise that I'll give it all to NIL 😉.

Honestly, is there a way the NCAA could stop that with their current "rules"? They don't have the ability to prevent a guy from earning 2 million a year, but donating 1.9. 😂

My top (realistic) choice would be Drew Bryce at Grand Canyon. Midwesterner. IHistory of NCAA Tournament success as player and coach with mid-majors (hit “the shot” when playing at Valparaiso). Had a rough go when coaching Vanderbilt, but he was really young then and a lot of coaches do better their second time around with big programs.

Others that I think would be strong candidates are Eric Henderson at South Dakota State and Preston Spradlin at Morehead State.
The guy @ Clemson. Name escapes me at the moment.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Interesting thought... Can a coach "donate" to a NIL collective?

Fran! Hurry up and ask for a 2 million per year raise, so you can turn around and give it to the Swarm!

Even better, I'll "work" for the university as a consultant for 2 million a year, I promise that I'll give it all to NIL 😉.

Honestly, is there a way the NCAA could stop that with their current "rules"? They don't have the ability to prevent a guy from earning 2 million a year, but donating 1.9. 😂

Coaches or employees of the university can’t “directly” be involved in NIL or NIL negotiations. We know almost every NIL negotiation indirectly involves the coaching staffs. It would not be far fetched to assume a coach or two has donated money indirectly to a collective.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Coaches or employees of the university can’t “directly” be involved in NIL or NIL negotiations. We know almost every NIL negotiation indirectly involves the coaching staffs. It would not be far fetched to assume a coach or two has donated money indirectly to a collective.
But indirectly a coach could give to a charity who "supports" the collective.... hmmm

But indirectly a coach could give to a charity who "supports" the collective.... hmmm

In the land of no laws, I’m not sure any of it is really illegal. I don’t believe coaches can give to collectives, but…

University gives to coach
Coach gives to #1 Booster
#1 Booster gives to collective

I’m not sure if that is actually illegal, but again, when there are no laws or enforcement, does it really matter if it’s legal or not?

Barkley knows Dabo Sweeny
Brad Brownell.

https://clemsontigers.com/coaches/brad-brownell/

Brownell_Brad-2018-1.jpg

In the land of no laws, I’m not sure any of it is really illegal. I don’t believe coaches can give to collectives, but…

I’m not sure if that is actually illegal, but again, when there are no laws or enforcement, does it really matter if it’s legal or not?

Exactly.... It sure feels like a coach at UNC could give a couple million to an NIL collective and nothing would happen.

Now if Iowa did that, we'd get the death penalty... Probably UNI too for good measure

Reactions: iahawks10

Exactly.

Let's figure out what avenues need to be used to get some of this new TV money into players hands.

It's not that difficult. The ncaa isn't the government and they're not trying to enforce anything anyway.

If the AD isn't making this happen then they should be on the job.

Exactly.

Let's figure out what avenues need to be used to get some of this new TV money into players hands.

It's not that difficult. The ncaa isn't the government and they're not trying to enforce anything anyway.

If the AD isn't making this happen then they should be on the job.

I would be scared of what percentage the U of I gives to the men’s bball program though.

Right now, men’s basketball gets about 6.3% of Iowa’s $167 million revenue. Wonder if that would change and by how much if the U could give to NIL.

Not saying he's a bad choice, but going from Clemson (2 Sweet 16s in 6 seasons, maybe a Final Four) and ACC to Iowa/Big Ten isn't exactly a step up. Also, at 55 yo, not sure he wants a rebuilding project.
No way Brownell comes to Iowa, regardless of how much money is tossed his way. Seems to me Iowa has two choices if/when Fran leaves:

1) Hire young, proven up-and-coming head coach from a smaller school or one not paying him as much money as he might make in Iowa City.

3) Hire a top assistant at a highly successful program, say U-Conn, Duke, North Carolina, etc.

I don't see any way Iowa lands a good coach from another P5 program.

I'm really hoping Beth is working on the NIL problem now. Imagine a Fran coached team with 3 or 4 elite athletes - quick guards, in addition to the Sanfort bros, Dix, Freeman, Harding at point. Not sure what she can do realistically. But I would hope she has more creative problem solving potential, to overcome the damage Barta has done.

Last edited:
Speaking of Stoops, he's now coaching the Arlington Renegades in the UFL. How the mighty have fallen?
Fallen? He's got plenty of coin in the bank and probably having a lot of fun. He gets to coach and be around football (which he loves) with little or no pressure. He's doing it because he wants to...not because he has to. Sounds like a pretty good life.

No way Brownell comes to Iowa, regardless of how much money is tossed his way. Seems to me Iowa has two choices if/when Fran leaves:

1) Hire young, proven up-and-coming head coach from a smaller school or one not paying him as much money as he might make in Iowa City.

3) Hire a top assistant at a highly successful program, say U-Conn, Duke, North Carolina, etc.

Fran does a masterful job of keeping his most senior assistants as old guys/yes men/with no other prospects. Makes it impossible Iowa is able promote an assistant from within. Gatens is a young, hungry guy---but too inexperienced.

I think I'd prefer a younger guy from a Midmajor that has managed to build rosters using Portal, searching every noon, and cranny vs hiring an assistant from a Blue Blood that is mostly getting recruits based on name brand, not personal dynamics.

I'm really hoping Beth is working on the NIL problem now. Imagine a Fran coached team with 3 or 4 elite athletes - quick guards, in addition to the Sanfort bros, Dix, Freeman, Harding at point. Not sure what she can do realistically. But I would hope she has more creative problem solving potential, to overcome the damage Barta has done.
There's plenty of quick guards available now.

Frans not interested in quick guards, when he does have one he runs them off the team.

I'm hoping he can resist the urge to run Brock Harding off.

Fallen? He's got plenty of coin in the bank and probably having a lot of fun. He gets to coach and be around football (which he loves) with little or no pressure. He's doing it because he wants to...not because he has to. Sounds like a pretty good life.
Yeah, but the UFL? C’mon man.

I haven’t heard a peep since the first whispers. Guessing here but it doesn’t seem likely, unless something happens over the weekend. Unless, of course as others have mentioned, he sticks it to Iowa by taking a late offer after the tourney. They would be a douche canoe move.
You heard whispers, or you heard wishes?
Fran is not leaving this year. He and Margaret just bought a house in IC. Bad move if you are planning on leaving town to move to a house closer to work. No team is giving him the money he's making in IC, either. He isn't leaving to coach Patrick or Jack anywhere.
I will, however, say that I think Fran might be 2-3 years from retiring. He's never struck me as a guy who will coach until his body gives out. He has money, and he and Margaret could find charitable boards to work on to fill the time while waiting on the grandkids to arrive.

• Sad
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I also want to throw this out for people that really dislike McCaffery and berate him and his kids so egregiously. I honestly get it but he's done the best he can while being a limited coach overall. We all know this. In the long term, and I know it may sound ridiculous now, but considering how personal his family takes social media, we should be very wary of kicking/forcing Fran out simply because, you know, his son is dating Caitlin Clark. In the future, if any kids come down the line, it'd be nice to have them come here. I'm not saying any of this will happen of course, but it could, and we should at least be respectful of McCaffery because he hasn't hurt the school by any means, he's just a limited coach empirically. He also isn't a bad person by any means.

I know it sounds ridiculous because it's such a long term outlook, that may ultimately not even happen, so it is only hypothetical, but it could legitimately be a stain for our school long term if we treat him harshly. Karma would suck in a situation like this. Imagine if we somehow treated Greenway poorly and it resulted in us having no chance with his daughter coming here. Just saying.

I also want to throw this out for people that really dislike McCaffery and berate him and his kids so egregiously. I honestly get it but he's done the best he can while being a limited coach overall. We all know this. In the long term, and I know it may sound ridiculous now, but considering how personal his family takes social media, we should be very wary of kicking/forcing Fran out simply because, you know, his son is dating Caitlin Clark. In the future, if any kids come down the line, it'd be nice to have them come here. I'm not saying any of this will happen of course, but it could, and we should at least be respectful of McCaffery because he hasn't hurt the school by any means, he's just a limited coach empirically. He also isn't a bad person by any means.

I know it sounds ridiculous because it's such a long term outlook, that may ultimately not even happen, so it is only hypothetical, but it could legitimately be a stain for our school long term if we treat him harshly. Karma would suck in a situation like this. Imagine if we somehow treated Greenway poorly and it resulted in us having no chance with his daughter coming here. Just saying.
What migh or might not happen 35 years from now shouldn't remotely be considered in a decision to separate from Fran.

FRAN MCCAFFREY is the winningest coach in program history.

At Iowa, a B1G program, he's never seen the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament.

That's not exactly a focused endorsement to move up in the world.

It's also a pure example that Iowa is mediocre at its core. Will never be able to compete with the Big Dogs on a consistent basis - if ever again. Pay For Play would need a significant backer. UI doesn't have that for hoops.

Fran is not leaving this year. He and Margaret just bought a house in IC. Bad move if you are planning on leaving town to move to a house closer to work. No team is giving him the money he's making in IC, either. He isn't leaving to coach Patrick or Jack anywhere.
I will, however, say that I think Fran might be 2-3 years from retiring. He's never struck me as a guy who will coach until his body gives out. He has money, and he and Margaret could find charitable boards to work on to fill the time while waiting on the grandkids to arrive.
At least 2-3 years. Hawk fans just need to realize we are YEARS away from a new men's head BB coach.

So you are saying let’s wait 18-30 years for CC and Connor’s kids to commit to Iowa?🤪

I like your second option…👍

Yeah, but the UFL? C’mon man.
C'mon, what? There are big time coaches and players that go back and coach high school or small college after they step away from the big time. They do it because it's what they love to do. He's got all the coin he needs. Now he gets to do what he enjoys with minimal pressure and bank $500K/yr at the same time. Sounds like a great retirement gig to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGot5onIt
If I had a choice of:

A) Retiring and spending 24/7 with Margret
or
B) Working until I cannot stand up any longer

I'd choose .B

Given the Schopenhauer avatar, this post is incredibly optimistic. :)

Reactions: AEG82 and BlameIt
I think Fran would've left years ago if any decent program came calling. I'm afraid we're stuck with him until possibly Jack is an upperclassmen. Drake for Fran and Jack was our only hope. Best thing that could happen is for Jack to pick a school on the East coast. I do think it's wise that they keep Fran's salary at the bottom tier of the conference as a friendly nudge out the door.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT