ADVERTISEMENT

Where there’s smoke…..

I think Fran would've left years ago if any decent program came calling. I'm afraid we're stuck with him until possibly Jack is an upperclassmen. Drake for Fran and Jack was our only hope. Best thing that could happen is for Jack to pick a school on the East coast. I do think it's wise that they keep Fran's salary at the bottom tier of the conference as a friendly nudge out the door.

Fran has said many times that Iowa was his dream job. I don’t think he’s ever had interest in leaving. The only thing I see pulling him away from Iowa is the chance to coach Jack somewhere else. However, I've said many times, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jack transfer back to Iowa at some point.

Fran has said many times that Iowa was his dream job. I don’t think he’s ever had interest in leaving. The only thing I see pulling him away from Iowa is the chance to coach Jack somewhere else. However, I've said many times, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jack transfer back to Iowa at some point.
Hard to believe him when he's an east coast guy from Philly. Before he coached at ND he probably never even visited the state. I'd bet if you hooked him to a lie detector, he'd pick a Big East team.... probably Villanova would be his dream job.

But yeah, Fran's not going anywhere & it will be interesting to follow Jack's progress.

Reactions: Bierhalter
💯 This. The thing is, fans are giving hard earned money to kids who are just kind of good at a sport to play for their favorite team. Homeless kids all over the place but someone wants to give Tony Perkins 300K instead. All of this is kind of gross when you think about it. Much worse than even I thought it would be and I have been warning about this for 15 years.
Wait what’s your point? You feel money should be given to the homeless vs NIL players? Before I debate you, I want to understand your thesis.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Fallen? He's got plenty of coin in the bank and probably having a lot of fun. He gets to coach and be around football (which he loves) with little or no pressure. He's doing it because he wants to...not because he has to. Sounds like a pretty good life.
Your familiar with his bank account ?

Wait what’s your point? You feel money should be given to the homeless vs NIL players? Before I debate you, I want to understand your thesis.
Apparently the OP is a big time donor to homeless causes and all around saint.

My guess is the real issue is many people see the NIL process as dirty, which is fair assessment of the NIL situation. That said, I don't see it being evil that Tony Perkins who probably grew up relatively poor getting $250K to play basketball at Iowa while the coach gets $3.2 million.

To get to coach his sons.. I could see it.
Providence was in big on Jack.
Apparently the OP is a big time donor to homeless causes and all around saint.

My guess is the real issue is many people see the NIL process as dirty, which is fair assessment of the NIL situation. That said, I don't see it being evil that Tony Perkins who probably grew up relatively poor getting $250K to play basketball at Iowa while the coach gets $3.2 million.
i don’t blame Perkins, I blame the system. It’s broken and wrong. NIL should have never been a thing.

To get to coach his sons.. I could see it.
Why would jack say everything he said he then play for his dad anyways lol. And if part of getting out of Iowa city is tied to the desire to distance himself from that accident, why would he limit himself to state of Iowa. I would think they would go somewhere on the east coast.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Hard to believe him when he's an east coast guy from Philly. Before he coached at ND he probably never even visited the state. I'd bet if you hooked him to a lie detector, he'd pick a Big East team.... probably Villanova would be his dream job.

But yeah, Fran's not going anywhere & it will be interesting to follow Jack's progress.
His wife is from Minnesota. He WANTED the Iowa job, told the AD at the time to ignore any rumors about him interested in St. John's. The midwest is where Margaret wanted to raise the kids, closer to her parents.

His wife is from Minnesota. He WANTED the Iowa job, told the AD at the time to ignore any rumors about him interested in St. John's. The midwest is where Margaret wanted to raise the kids, closer to her parents.
Doesn't mean it was Fran's "dream" job.

Why would jack say everything he said he then play for his dad anyways lol. And if part of getting out of Iowa city is tied to the desire to distance himself from that accident, why would he limit himself to state of Iowa. I would think they would go somewhere on the east coast.
That's my thinking. He doesn't want to play for Iowa because he sees how hard fans could be on the coach's kid. I am sure he realizes this isn't exclusively an Iowa thing either, so I don't think he will ever play for his dad.

Fan to a smaller school would make sense if he is getting burned out. Coaching in the fish bowl of Iow City and Big 10 takes its toll. If he is looking at that I wouldnt blame him, but some of the best talent here is young, so Iowa could be a year or two away from making a run.

any news????

flame thrower fire GIF

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I sincerely hope of the ~400 responses in this thread….. at least half contribute to the SWARM to maintain a chance at being competitive
My money is more important to me than Iowa getting W's.

We weren't a top tier team before Pay For Play. We still aren't.

I'd much rather go to the Masters than contribute to possibly getting another Filip Rebraca type.

I'm not saying it would be Drake. Go back east somewhere.

Reactions: Underscore2
I sincerely hope of the ~400 responses in this thread….. at least half contribute to the SWARM to maintain a chance at being competitive
As I’ve said before:

Regarding the Swarm, I think 2 things need to happen:
  1. People who give should stop trying shame those who support the team in other ways. The Swarm isn’t for everyone, and that’s OK.
  2. People who don’t give* need to stop bitching about it at every opportunity. People are free to spend their money how they want.
Neither of these things are helping anyone.

*-I want to acknowledge that I have been a part of #2 on numerous occasions. I promise to do my part if the folks in #1 do theirs.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
As I’ve said before:

Regarding the Swarm, I think 2 things need to happen:
  1. People who give should stop trying shame those who support the team in other ways. The Swarm isn’t for everyone, and that’s OK.
  2. People who don’t give* need to stop bitching about it at every opportunity. People are free to spend their money how they want.
Neither of these things are helping anyone.

*-I want to acknowledge that I have been a part of #2 on numerous occasions. I promise to do my part if the folks in #1 do theirs.
#1 leads to #2

Not the opposite

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT