ADVERTISEMENT

State College Booing Spencer pre-match showed a total lack of class!

Exactly. Iowa fans in general didn’t think very highly of Steveson based on his antics on and off the mat. That didn’t keep Iowa fans from giving him a standing ovation. We know how Penn State fans behaved towards Spencer. Neither Willy, nor anyone else, has any clue how Iowa fans would react in the opposite situation. I, for one, would have been standing and clapping, and I know many others who would have done the same.
Well, there you have it, debate settled. You and some others would have stood and clapped = what every Iowa fan in attendance would do.
🦝

Reactions: Creek Side
Did Iowa cheer Steveson at introductions or after the dual was over? I haven’t read anything saying they cheered him at introductions before the match.

I dont understand what people don't understand about the booing Spencer.

he's the sports biggest star, wrestles for the 'enemy', jilted PSU for Iowa and is from PA.

it's sports. that's what people do.

Phillies fans are irrationally p*ssed off at Mike Trout for resigning with the Angels instead of coming back home.

Eagles fans booed Santa Claus.

And other than Gable, who has Carver 'respected' ? It's notorious for booing. Universally considered the harshest crowd to visitors and that's a badge y'all usually wear with pride.
Oh, I failed to see where anyone asked for your dbag ass opinion.

Shouldn’t you be turtleneck shopping?

Wow really? How about you ask some of YOUR “black” wrestlers about their experience at your noble institution. Here’s a hint: I know those who did, not a good conversation. You people always have to put color to stuff. STOP. You’ve never nor will ever walk in our shoes, so to use it as a tag line to a “get back message” is disgusting. My son picked Iowa OVER PSU. Culture was the foremost driver to that. Yep, Iowa boos folks. Yep, there are idiots in every crowd, but I honestly would not want to be around Carver if ever they come after my kid. Wanna know why? Because the TRUE fans, the folks on THIS page would do the unimaginable to that poor bastard. They’ve defended my son on here and he has yet to step on the mats as a Hawkeye.

So please, just stop. There is already too much division because of race we don’t need idiots heaping more coals on this fire.

what-do-you-mean-you-people.gif

Wow really? How about you ask some of YOUR “black” wrestlers about their experience at your noble institution. Here’s a hint: I know those who did, not a good conversation. You people always have to put color to stuff. STOP. You’ve never nor will ever walk in our shoes, so to use it as a tag line to a “get back message” is disgusting. My son picked Iowa OVER PSU. Culture was the foremost driver to that. Yep, Iowa boos folks. Yep, there are idiots in every crowd, but I honestly would not want to be around Carver if ever they come after my kid. Wanna know why? Because the TRUE fans, the folks on THIS page would do the unimaginable to that poor bastard. They’ve defended my son on here and he has yet to step on the mats as a Hawkeye.

So please, just stop. There is already too much division because of race we don’t need idiots heaping more coals on this fire.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/xTiTnooneW4SYfch8Y/giphy.gif

Mic drop - down goes PAhurler and uncle fester with the Texas drawl.

Stayed off this board for a long time but love seeing some beat downs of the bandwagon fans from out east. Glad Spencer saw what tools that fan base is and he wanted to get the hell out of there and wanted the opportunity to wrestle for the best wrestling fans in the world at the mecca of wrestling. Thank you penn state fans for doing your thing and pushing one of the greatest our way. I’ll buy you a beverage in Ann Arbor or Tulsa if I see you to express my appreciation. Cheers!

I dont understand what people don't understand about the booing Spencer.

he's the sports biggest star, wrestles for the 'enemy', jilted PSU for Iowa and is from PA.

it's sports. that's what people do.

Phillies fans are irrationally p*ssed off at Mike Trout for resigning with the Angels instead of coming back home.

Eagles fans booed Santa Claus.

And other than Gable, who has Carver 'respected' ? It's notorious for booing. Universally considered the harshest crowd to visitors and that's a badge y'all usually wear with pride.

Because he is a generational talent and has always been gracious and modest in victory and defeat. I could understand booing a volatile personality like, say, Gilman. But I was very surprised to hear the booing for Spencer. How do you dislike someone who wrestles for the championship with Pokémon music?

I appreciate your perspective, but I’m struggling to think that a strong defensive reaction of home fans to nuts hassling a “home” wrestler is unique to those at CHA. With that said, I’m glad you’re comfortable with your decision and hope your son has a healthy and welcome stay in IC. I spent two years on campus as an Econ grad student in the Brands/Steiner era, and dare I say I liked the general student body at least as much as that at PSU.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/xTiTnooneW4SYfch8Y/giphy.gif

Mic drop - down goes PAhurler and uncle fester with the Texas drawl.

Stayed off this board for a long time but love seeing some beat downs of the bandwagon fans from out east. Glad Spencer saw what tools that fan base is and he wanted to get the hell out of there and wanted the opportunity to wrestle for the best wrestling fans in the world at the mecca of wrestling. Thank you penn state fans for doing your thing and pushing one of the greatest our way. I’ll buy you a beverage in Ann Arbor or Tulsa if I see you to express my appreciation. Cheers!
You think fans influenced where Spencer would go to college and wrestle?

With his talent and goals, I would not have thought fans played a meaningful part in such a big decision. He was getting bad advice if they did.

Reactions: Creek Side
I was there and there were much fewer people booing than it sounded like when I rewatched it. I’m not a fan of booing college kids. I think in instances of the BJC you end up with fans who are casual fans. Everyone I know who is a real fanatic about wrestling (myself included) have nothing but respect for the Iowa wrestlers.

Lets go over this again. Here in NY, they will always talk about "how great or how passionate" the sports fans are? They will always use this as an excuse for their crappy behavior! Sometimes the will also say how knowledgeable they are which is yet another joke.

Most who can afford to go to pro sports games around here. A) have never played any meaning full sports in their lives. B) have a lot of money to waste and C) go and drink too much.

NO problem with any of that. They want to spend their time and money that way? It is all fine. Most can also tell you every stat in the book, because they will be in some fantasy league betting on something. Again, that is all good.

When you go to a game around here, which I have not been to one in many years. It just gets really stupid the crap you will see and hear. Now those who think this is somehow "cool, the thing to do" etc... Will talk about how they are PROs , get paid a lot of money, how they pay for their tickets etc......

Does this make it alright to act like a POS??? I do not know that it does and my opinion is it does not, but I am in a very small majority around here I will tell you that!

The reason I bring this up is because you can almost always see the trickle down effect from PRO sports. I have seen kids on my sons HS football team do shit like pointing the first down single after a run(gladly it was flagged for un sportsmanship). You can also clearly see what Coaches, and what programs run their teams with "old school pride!" They do not tolerate any BS and it shows, and most of those programs are the better ones!

I have not been to Carver yet(on bucket list) but I have been to NCAAs and B1Gs. I would say, like 99% of the fans who go are TRUE FANS! My guess is the overwhelming majority have "been in the trenches." These people TRULY know the sport!

Yea they might know stats, but much more importantly. They know what it takes to be a wrestler who owns those stats. EVERYONE I have ever met at these big events has been a quality person from what I saw. I sat right next to F*** st fans with my brother(both HUGE IOWA fans) and we had great conversation and some good joking with each other.

The only time you here booing is for bad calls, stalling, bad sportsmanship and the likes from everything I have seen. TWOOOO much respect to boo even a F*** st wrestler who is closing out a championship as long as he does it the RIGHT way, With CLASS!

Honestly I get it is "old skool" and I am in that boat, but it is the way it should be and they way we need to get back to!!!

Thanks for that message Coach. Well said as usual.

Sandersons inability to produce even an average 125 plays into it, I'm sure.
They could give two shits about individual weights, imo. They produce multiple national champs year in and out. They consistently national team titles. They aren’t happy SL went to Iowa and NOT PSU. That’s all.

I boo’d every Iowa wrestler’s introduction and yelled “sucks” right after the announcer said each of their names at intros.

Had I seen Tom, Terry, Spencer, Woods, Warner or Cass after the match, I would have sheepishly asked for their autograph and claimed it was for my son.

Maybe that makes me disrespectful. I get it if you think it does. But to me, it was all in good fun and what the home crowd is supposed to do.
Nope. Just means you're a jerk.
This isn't pro wrestling.

I didn’t expect a standing “O” but thought a healthy applause (not boos) to be well deserved, especially considering SL (Max too) was back in PA for the final time as a senior. I also feel if the tables were turned, Iowa fans would have provided a warmer homecoming if simply to acknowledge the accomplishments of a native Iowan.

It goes without saying but PSU fans have very high opinions of themselves. It is evident on their board and in the manner they speak of other programs. Possibly, the Lion wrestling team has earned them this “right”. But considering the past transgressions of their football program, you'd think they'd show a little bit of humility. Mentioning the booing of Penn State football players recently at Kinnick stadium is weak sauce. It was obvious to all attending the game, including the TV announcers — PSU players were taking "flops". They would literally sit down on the field, stop play, trainers would come out, players would smile while talking to the trainers before walking off with no apparent injury. I was there and close enough to see the interaction between players/trainers. The players would take a play or two off, rest & come right back in the game. If a truly injured player was booing during this game, they were simply caught up in the collateral damage of their foolish teammates. It was obvious enough that coach Franklin felt the need to hold a press conference and assure everyone he has not "coached" this type of behavior. And State Penn fans want to push the narrative Iowa fans were booing "injured players". Enough football.
Give us a break.

As a native Iowan, I appreciate all things "good" for wrestling and the Penn State program is one of them. I appreciate Spencer's accomplishments and what he's had to overcome. In the end, I felt he deserved a little more from Pennsylvania's wrestling fans...

Did Iowa cheer Steveson at introductions or after the dual was over? I haven’t read anything saying they cheered him at introductions before the match.
They didn't boo him and he always played up his "bad boy" image.
Love him or hate him, you had to respect his incredible talent

Not quite an answer to your question as I don't recall the pre-match handshake, but I did post this pre-dual(I was in attendance and saw Gable's warm welcome before the meet started):

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on the guy. Just wanted to point out that he is currently shaking hands and taking pictures with Hawkeye fans. Has been for the past 5 minutes and the line is probably 50 deep.

We sure as hell didn't boo him during introductions

Edited to add: there was a long line of Iowa fans waiting to get his autograph during pre-meet warmups

Last edited:
I was at the meet and don't have a big problem with the booing. What was really funny though was the guy in section 106 who kept yelling about the Hawks stalling. There was definitely some of that, but the way he was screaming about it was absurd. I only made a few comments back as he obviously didn't know jack squat. Comment I really wanted to make was questioning if it would be stalling if a guy strapped on a pair of roller-skates for 7 minutes while keeping one arm back. The guy kept yelling that the Brands brothers were stallers and that's what they coached. He obviously had never watched the brothers' matches. They were the opposite of stallers.

I agree that there are some frustrating things going on with Folkstyle right now. I hate the parallel, hook an ankle riding that is being used. It's not trying to improve position at all. Should be called a stalemate after about 15 seconds and the second time should be stalling. Really wish the Hawks would find a way to generate more shots. May take a change to the way they hand fight, but it needs to be done.

Overall the BJC was a nice arena, fans were very welcoming other than the jackass I mentioned above. PSU definitely has some studs. Hawks still have a puncher's chance, but man they gotta get after it to be in the right spot come Saturday of nationals. Go Hawks!

I was there and there were much fewer people booing than it sounded like when I rewatched it. I’m not a fan of booing college kids. I think in instances of the BJC you end up with fans who are casual fans. Everyone I know who is a real fanatic about wrestling (myself included) have nothing but respect for the Iowa wrestlers.
I was there and the boos were very loud. I expected that and it isn't a big deal. However, the Penn State crowd was also the most vulgar of any we have been to this season. I'm all for home environment and heckling. The amount of swearing, shoves, and threats were head and shoulders more than any of the other primary arenas. The OSU's, Michigan, and Nebraska will have a handful of idiots like you would expect. Penn States crowd had them everywhere besides the first row of elderly fans near the team bench. I will say the Penn State women seemed to like our team more than their own. That really doesn't surprise me considering the gene pool they are stuck with.

I was definitely bothered by the booing. Not how it should be handled of course.

Obviously nothing in the same stratosphere as what Iowa sports fans have done in the past at home (throw beer cans at black wrestlers, scream racial epithets, boo football players when they incur season ending injuries, etc.), but I agree that booing Spencer was out of character and reflected poorly on us.
Hey at least we don’t diddle kids though…

• Wow
Reactions: evashevsky58
I was there and the boos were very loud. I expected that and it isn't a big deal. However, the Penn State crowd was also the most vulgar of any we have been to this season. I'm all for home environment and heckling. The amount of swearing, shoves, and threats were head and shoulders more than any of the other primary arenas. The OSU's, Michigan, and Nebraska will have a handful of idiots like you would expect. Penn States crowd had them everywhere besides the first row of elderly fans near the team bench. I will say the Penn State women seemed to like our team more than their own. That really doesn't surprise me considering the gene pool they are stuck with.
🦝🦝

They could give two shits about individual weights, imo. They produce multiple national champs year in and out. They consistently national team titles. They aren’t happy SL went to Iowa and NOT PSU. That’s all.
I think not caring about which weights the champs come from is true for most of us. There are some, though, that gripe about 125 not having produced for a while. I don’t understand it, but it happens.

I think not caring about which weights the champs come from is true for most of us. There are some, though, that gripe about 125 not having produced for a while. I don’t understand it, but it happens.
Outside of Metcalf we were rotten at 49.

Because he is a generational talent and has always been gracious and modest in victory and defeat. I could understand booing a volatile personality like, say, Gilman. But I was very surprised to hear the booing for Spencer. How do you dislike someone who wrestles for the championship with Pokémon music?
Really? I wouldn’t say he is modest, but that’s an opinion. No one at CHA gave Bo, Ruth, Zain or Nolf an ovation. They all also were three time champs- which to this point, is all Spencer is.

I could care less if they boo him or not and really whether Iowa or anyone else has fans that boo people is not even a question. All fan bases do this. Mcpat pointing out times Iowa fans were booing people is missing the point. The actual point and what Iowa did for Steveson was to give an ovation recognizing his excellence in his final appearance. They have the wrestling intellect to recognize and honor greatness. If PSU fans don't have the ability to honor a great wrestler even if it's not on their team so be it. Maybe they don't think he is great, who knows and who cares. Considering the multitude of serious injuries that Spencer has had to endure the level of dominance he has shown has been nothing short of amazing. Even with all those injuries he absolutely has been the most dominant Iowa wrestler I have seen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT