ADVERTISEMENT

State College Booing Spencer pre-match showed a total lack of class!

That’s rich coming from you lil feller, mentally stable and rational is what most would think of you when they see some of your tweets / posts.

“Y’all” tried buying our table a beer at big 10s a few years back - was with a couple national champs who wore the hawk singlet. Your fanboy effort was sad - and one of Iowa’s legends was just laughing and making fun of you - I didn’t know who you were. I’ll say hi to you in Ann Arbor and buy you a beer if I hurt your fefeelings.
Do you think you're cool or something by posting this? People are gracious enough to buy you a drink and your groups first thought was to make fun of them? Im.glad the only Hawk fans I come across like you are the ones that post on this board and not those I meet outin the real world. They are nothing like you. Btw, Willie is pretty much known throughout the wrestling world...even overseas. I am sorry you're a complete nobody in the sport tho..

Reactions: el dub
Penn State is better AGAIN and is going to win another national championship. Oh I know...let's rip on them for their fans booing our wrestler..that should even things up. Lol

Btw, I was there. The fans booed everyone of your wrestlers when announced. They didnt specifically pick out Spencer. Why is it that you all are only interested in defending Spencer here? Are the others not worthy of your time? I didn't boo anyone but I certainly wasn't gonna clap for them either. Well, except for Murin because he's a local kid I like a lot.

Last edited:
Penn State is better AGAIN and is going to win another national championship. Oh I know...let's rip on them for their fans booing our wrestler..that should even things up. Lol

Btw, the fans booed ever one of your wrestlers when announced. They didnt specifically pick out Spencer. Why is it that you all are only interested in defending Spencer here? Are the others not worthy of your time?
You shouldn't let Iowa consume your mind the way it is. Damn dude. Not healthy.

Reactions: Chuck C
It was both. I wouldn’t have applauded him if he had won gold and nothing else at the college level. It was his overall greatness. Not A. Not B. But A+B.
Ok, so no standing-o from you if he didn’t have the gold medal. Glad we cleared that up.

The Gable thing was great. Loved seeing it.

I think because season tickets are for the much smaller Rec Hall, when they suddenly open the BJC to 10,000 more people, you dilute a lot of the more knowledgeable fan base and attract more…erratic individuals.
Wrestling is a very niche sport and even diehard football fans I know hardly follow the Lions wrestling team so I would say you're right. Unfortunately their exposure to wrestling might be the WWE kind of stuff, which is probably a different crowd.

Reactions: PAHURDLER
1) people love me. i'm a big hit
2) i never fan boy. ever.
3) last year was my first year at BIGs
4) you still don't know who i am
5) randos don't hurt my feelings. you just contributed to the perception that this board is full of mouth breathers.
You are still a Skid-mark who has an extremely overrated opinion of himself and his importance to wrestling which is zero btw

Jimmy Fallon Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

It's funny that when they open the BJC they blame casual fans for poor crowd behavior. However I don't remember, did Iowa fans get a lot of extra booing when we wrestled Okie St in Kinnick when we had an extra 24,000 "casual" wrestling fans??

Most venues when a guy comes into an arena with a strong history of success and it's the last time, he will ever wrestle in that venue the fans typically show their respect. Last year when Gable Stevenson came to Carver, the Iowa fans gave him a standing ovation at the end of his match. Iowa has a history of this type of class. I've never heard Carver boo someone during pre-match introductions. I've heard the boos when a guy showboats, puts his hand behind his ear after a win or acts like an idiot etc., but never pre match. I was shocked. I go back to an interview Spencer did recently when he said, the fans have been awesome and have been nice to him in arenas across the country. Telling him how much they have enjoyed watching him etc. I hope parents of future wrestlers see Friday night as I do. A total lack of respect and class and not something I would want my kid to be around. It was classless and a totally unnecessary act--pre-match and during the introductions. I have actually never seen or heard of a venue doing that in the past to anyone. I don't think Spencer has played a villain during his college years to earn that type of disdain. It tells me a lot about the current PSU fan base and it's not a good look!
It’s because their fans are band wagon fans. They just learned about wrestling when Carl got there.

Personally I don't like booing college athletes and I think it's silly in most cases but not everyone is going to be me. When I go to a match, it's been only two in recent years, I like to watch very intently so I'm pretty quiet. I'll cheer after the match of maybe at some big moment.
For me that sums up the lack of action in the match. The thumb- sitters. Yeah, we get it, you were there. Carver would have those wrestlers letting the fur fly. BJC- I'll cheer after the match OR at some big moment. I'm surprised you don't snap your fingers but that would be kind of hard to do. Pretender.

It’s because their fans are band wagon fans. They just learned about wrestling when Carl got there.
I’ve been making this joke for years but the sad thing is it really isn’t a joke.

85% of that crowd didn’t have a clue what they were watching or yelling at, and the officials still let them dictate calls.

For me that sums up the lack of action in the match. The thumb- sitters. Yeah, we get it, you were there. Carver would have those wrestlers letting the fur fly. BJC- I'll cheer after the match OR at some big moment. I'm surprised you don't snap your fingers but that would be kind of hard to do. Pretender.
Yas Yes GIF by State Farm

I’ve been making this joke for years but the sad thing is it really isn’t a joke.

85% of that crowd didn’t have a clue what they were watching or yelling at, and the officials still let them dictate calls.
Yeah, but it is an additional entertaining aspect to me, to just hear how bad they are at understanding wrestling.

It just killed me during the Bartlett match. Under a minute to go in reg and the camera panned the crowd. No one cheering them on. At a local event the home crowd would have been on their feet cheering them on. Give the tickets to someone who gives a darn. Grow the sport.

Yeah, but it is an additional entertaining aspect to me, to just hear how bad they are at understanding wrestling.
Well, their coaching staff and athletes seem to have the wrestling part figured out pretty well. I’m guessing after a couple more decades of winning titles on the regs, the fans will finally get a clue.

It just killed me during the Bartlett match. Under a minute to go in reg and the camera panned the crowd. No one cheering them on. At a local event the home crowd would have been on their feet cheering them on. Give the tickets to someone who gives a darn. Grow the sport.
I hear you. It’s kinda odd from an Iowa perspective. Too bad they don’t award teams for most passionate and knowledgeable fans.

Here I go again..

"PSU is better than us and going to win YET another national championship. Oh I know, let's rip on their fans for not being more boisterous. That'll even things up...."

Well, their coaching staff and athletes seem to have the wrestling part figured out pretty well. I’m guessing after a couple more decades of winning titles on the regs, the fans will finally get a clue.
You're talking to a guy that would tell his wrestlers to concede at the end of the matches instead of looking to win.

So there's that...

Yeah, I agree. It's pretty indisputable their coaching staff has it down.

Here I go again..

"PSU is better than us and going to win YET another national championship. Oh I know, let's rip on their fans for not being more boisterous. That'll even things up...."
If that was aimed at me I'd like to know something. You went, did you think the wrestlers we're encouraged to let it fly by the crowd during their matches? Did you want to whoop and Hollar but were held back due to peer pressure? Boisterous no, supportive yes.

I wonder if i had no real input for the good of the conversation and could do nothing but spew my teams trash all over an opposing schools wrestling forum on a regular basis...what would an average day be like?? i mean seriously I have never once gone to BWI and posted...Hell I've never been on that page EVER...not even to snoop. But I definitely cant see my day being structured around trolling this forum as some people do..... makes ya wonder what odd attraction draws people to places that they aren't welcome

If that was aimed at me I'd like to know something. You went, did you think the wrestlers we're encouraged to let it fly by the crowd during their matches? Did you want to whoop and Hollar but were held back due to peer pressure? Boisterous no, supportive yes
Good question. People pay for their tickets so I don't feel I'm in position to tell them how to support their team. As for myself, I think there were a few times I left my seat screaming or hollering only to feel like I had eyes on me for doing it. Lol.

• Haha
Good question. People pay for their tickets so I don't feel I'm in position to tell them how to support their team. As for myself, I think there were a few times I left my seat screaming or hollering only to feel like I had eyes on me for doing it. Lol.
Thanks for your honesty, I'm glad you got to go but sad more fans aren't as supportive as you.

I wonder if i had no real input for the good of the conversation and could do nothing but spew my teams trash all over an opposing schools wrestling forum on a regular basis...what would an average day be like?? i mean seriously I have never once gone to BWI and posted...Hell I've never been on that page EVER...not even to snoop. But I definitely cant see my day being structured around trolling this forum as some people do..... makes ya wonder what odd attraction draws people to places that they aren't welcome
You should ask JRod, Madden or JS or even NashvilleHawkeye why they like posting over on our board. Get your answer from one of your own. And get it from those that are way more respected than yourself.

The Gable thing was great. Loved seeing it.

I think because season tickets are for the much smaller Rec Hall, when they suddenly open the BJC to 10,000 more people, you dilute a lot of the more knowledgeable fan base and attract more…erratic individuals.
LMAO. so only the ”good” fans are allowed in rec hall???

First, I wanted to stay off this train wreck of a thread, but as I read pages 3-5 (don't ask me why) I ran across a few posts I felt the need to reply to for some reason. I'm sorry that this could turn into a book.

Let me first say I felt it was unnecessary to boo Spencer, but I know a lot of people boo all the stars on other teams, and the animosity toward Spencer for leaving their state. I have lost respect for some of the Iowa kids that went out of state to college when we have three good (subjectively) Division I programs in the state, so I kind of understand that part. I also know that all fan bases have good, knowledgeable, respectable fans, and fans that are mouth-breathers and know little or nothing about the sport. Over 40+ years of attending college and Senior level wrestling all over the country I have had the pleasure and displeasure of sitting next to or near many, many teams' fanbases. I have made friends in those opposing fanbases, and I have had times when it took everything I had to not knock someone out. I have to admit there have been many times I was embarrassed to see how other fans cheering for the same team as me acted (that includes a lot of high school fans).

All that said, here are the messages I want to respond to;

I could care less if they boo him or not and really whether Iowa or anyone else has fans that boo people is not even a question. All fan bases do this. Mcpat pointing out times Iowa fans were booing people is missing the point. The actual point and what Iowa did for Steveson was to give an ovation recognizing his excellence in his final appearance. They have the wrestling intellect to recognize and honor greatness. If PSU fans don't have the ability to honor a great wrestler even if it's not on their team so be it. Maybe they don't think he is great, who knows and who cares. Considering the multitude of serious injuries that Spencer has had to endure the level of dominance he has shown has been nothing short of amazing. Even with all those injuries he absolutely has been the most dominant Iowa wrestler I have seen.
I agree about his domination, but as someone that has followed this program since the '70s, I think there have been many others as dominant. Some only for a year or two, but others for their whole career. I know none have won four titles like Spencer most likely will, but several have been just as dominant with only one bad match or one thorn-in-the-side opponent. Many of them also battled injury/illness at times in their career that impeded their winning four titles.
That really seems odd to me. He's had exceptional wrestlers at every other weight.
He did have one pretty exceptional (stalling) 125 pounder, but a long drought since.
1) people love me. i'm a big hit
2) i never fan boy. ever.
3) last year was my first year at BIGs
4) you still don't know who i am
5) randos don't hurt my feelings. you just contributed to the perception that this board is full of mouth breathers.
1) Maybe some places, maybe not others
2) Subjectively not sure
3)Wow, that is surprising. What have you been doing the first weekend in March all these years? If you say you were at the Big 12 Tournament, I'll lose a lot of respect for you.
4) Does anybody really?
5)Full? I resent that.

I have had mixed feelings about you for years. I do think you have been anti-Iowa sometimes, and have, whether intentionally or not, influenced recruits away from Iowa. I love your passion for the sport, even if it is sometimes misguided. I also believe you to be very knowledgeable about the sport, and undeserving of some of the shots you take here.Your departure from Flo was devastating to them in my eyes. Running you off was a big mistake.

If I ran into you at the B1Gs, I'd let you buy me a soda pop. I might even buy you one.
IOWA FANS: "Whaah whaa whaahhh...you didn't give Spencer a standing O".

ALSO IOWA FANS: " Cael Sanderson (the true GOAT) is a cheater and a dirt bag "
Your point is? Truth is truth.
They have had a loyal fanbase for 70 years or more, just 83% of them learned about the sport in 2008.
True, but doubtful it will happen. My b-i-l has lived in PA off-and-on for 25 years, and says the coverage of the sport and fan support/knowledge overall does not compare to Iowa's.

Curious if anyone can report on CHA cheering Cael in the early 2000s, Logan Steiber, Kyle Snyder or anyone else from another team other than Steveson.

Curious if anyone can report on CHA cheering Cael in the early 2000s, Logan Steiber, Kyle Snyder or anyone else from another team other than Steveson.
My memory isn't what it once was, but I seem to remember Carl being well respected for his accomplishments until he left the Cyclowns a shambles and ran to the money at PSU. Strebler didn't meet the criteria as laid out in this thread for an ovation (neither did Carl when he last wrestled here). I'm pretty sure Snyder received some kind of ovation his last year here, but I can't remember with any certainty. Hopefully, someone on here can confirm that. I'm too lazy to look up if he wrestled in CHA after his first World Medal.

Reactions: GlenHawk and mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT