ADVERTISEMENT

Steveson

If he doesn't come to Iowa, are you going to be anti-Gable? Will you suddenly not respond in ANY way to anything he does?

No. Whether your reaction is to be mad, sad or glad - you're going to have a reaction. And as far as anyone can tell, Gable has been pretty respectful about the Iowa offer - so we really wouldn't have anything to truly be mad at (unless he just says something wild in the announcement tonight).

It's a GREAT business plan, and any marketing exec would tell you the same. Stoke the flames of the biggest fanbase - joy or anger is no difference. We were all already talking about him coming back. Even prior to the "he might be coming to Iowa" subject. He's a damn Olympic gold medalist.

In short, he doesn't have to care about the Hawk fans. AT ALL. Love or hate, they won't affect what/how he does in the WWE. He's considering it, although I'm not sure how seriously, been super respectful about it and he may choose to stay at Minnesota. Nothing for anyone to be mad at.
Have you talked to him?

How can you blanketly say "NO" to how anyone is going to respond? I don't really care because I don't give one F about the WWE. But you are implying that everyone is going to think and feel like you and that is just not the case.

We were talking about him before the rumors started about him coming to Iowa because he is a great wrestler. We are talking about him more now because he might actually come here. Most won't care about him at all if he chooses not to come here. Do you really think he will gain WWE fans from the Iowa fan base by teasing it? Just look at what happened to Gilman when he left here. Did all of his Iowa fans go with him? No - fans are emotional and you are silly to think that the reaction to Gable from Iowa fans will be any different. From other fan bases - maybe.
No. I'm not saying that people won't be pissed. I don't think anyone SHOULD - but that's my opinion. My point is just that regardless of whether he comes or not - he stoked the flames of the biggest fan base in college wrestling. He also made himself a "talking point" - a reason to even have an announcement.

In terms of being a celebrity - those are all net positives.

Have you talked to him?

You think I would tell you if i did?

Reactions: el dub
No. I'm not saying that people won't be pissed. I don't think anyone SHOULD - but that's my opinion. My point is just that regardless of whether he comes or not - he stoked the flames of the biggest fan base in college wrestling. He also made himself a "talking point" - a reason to even have an announcement.

Yes? (I’m an optimist.)

But my basic point is this - he is not really a WWE "celebrity" yet. Get your fans first then become the villain.

If he doesn't come to Iowa, are you going to be anti-Gable? Will you suddenly not respond in ANY way to anything he does?

No. Whether your reaction is to be mad, sad or glad - you're going to have a reaction. And as far as anyone can tell, Gable has been pretty respectful about the Iowa offer - so we really wouldn't have anything to truly be mad at (unless he just says something wild in the announcement tonight).

It's a GREAT business plan, and any marketing exec would tell you the same. Stoke the flames of the biggest fanbase - joy or anger is no difference. We were all already talking about him coming back. Even prior to the "he might be coming to Iowa" subject. He's a damn Olympic gold medalist.

In short, he doesn't have to care about the Hawk fans. AT ALL. Love or hate, they won't affect what/how he does in the WWE. He's considering it, although I'm not sure how seriously, been super respectful about it and he may choose to stay at Minnesota. Nothing for anyone to be mad at.
Pretty spot on @vhsalum. I'd be disappointed, but it would have zero impact on my thoughts about him one way or the other. It's a choice, and it's his to make.

Reactions: vhsalum
Agree, this new WWE can’t hold a candle to the characters they had in the 70’s and 80’s.I I didn’t know it fell this bad. Looks like a very glitzy lit up high school gym.
I can't speak to the quality during those decades. I watched some in the mid to late 90s and thought it was entertaining, but nothing since.

And my thoughts too. There's what? maybe 250 in attendance?
This is NOTHING compared to Carver.

I can't imagine the type of person that goes to this on a Tuesday night.

They are the lowest denominator.

Agree, this new WWE can’t hold a candle to the characters they had in the 70’s and 80’s.I I didn’t know it fell this bad. Looks like a very glitzy lit up high school gym.
NXT is the developmental arm for Smackdown and RAW. NXT is just a weekly learn the ropes league. They really sell the women to keep their fan base entertained.
Funny the money that is still made. Some call it "entertainment".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT