ADVERTISEMENT

Steveson

I could see this being a big test for Gable. Working with a very experienced veteran. If he doesn’t perform well, audience doesn’t buy it, I could see wwe questioning this for him right now. His segment last night was not good.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I mean he was announcing on some schmaltzie WWE or whatever it was broadcast. Did anyone actually think he was doing that and not staying there?

Reactions: el dub
Lesnar had the best body chemistry could build
Many did in the 1980’s. Lesnar became very good on the mic as a heel, had the natural look also. Gable doesn’t have the typical size or build they like, but neither did Rick Flair or Roddy piper, but they could create a character and work a mic better than anyone. Right now Gable is generic, I think they are trying to make him the good guy, but he has some work to do on his personality on the mic.

Dumb ass is making a dumb ass decision!!! That is the bottom line. Maybe he makes quick money now? Long run what?
You’re funny. It sounds like entertainment industry is a long term goal here. And that’s his bidness.

I don’t see how people watch it these days, but some enjoy it lol.

its-still.gif

You are wrong, on that nobody gives a shit about real wrestling. People in the Midwest knew who Leanar was. It’s why so many were cheering while he was wrestling. Even though he was being pushed as a heel
I said that WWE fans don't care about a guy's accomplishments in real wrestling.

Brock Lesner is / was the greatest physical specimen that promotion had ever seen. That is why he was pushed.

Reactions: el dub
Correct , I don’t think wrestling fans get how little regular sports fans care about real wrestling. As great at PSU’s success is lately I hear few talk about it. Your average psu sports fans might watch the ncaa finals if they remember it’s on.
I can assure you that on the west coast (which has rabid Football, baseball and basketball fans) sports fan don’t know much and don’t care at all about real wrestling. Most sports fans are aware that wrestling is a big deal in Iowa, but more often than not they confuse Iowa with Iowa St and Oklahoma with Oklahoma St.

Funny how on the same day I find video restoring my respect for Spencer, I lose more of it for a puppet paid to perform scripted wrestling stunts. There’s nothing wrong with Steveson earning a WWE paycheck. What’s classless and degrading is teasing Minnesota and Iowa fans of “actual” wrestling with fabricated interest in joining their team. All to create buzz for an actor’s first gig. Yes, Steveson succeeded in suckering ALL NCAA wrestling fans with his employer’s marketing trick. But whether the scam generates added interest in his WWE thespian career is debatable. While most on these threads have no issue with athletes chasing wealth or celebrity, few appreciate calculated deceit during the chase. The pettiest ones (me) will even root against this particular fame-whore in all future international matches. Run along now, Gable. They’re waiting for you in the make-up and costume departments.

Funny how on the same day I find video restoring my respect for Spencer, I lose more of it for a puppet paid to perform scripted wrestling stunts. There’s nothing wrong with Steveson earning a WWE paycheck. What’s classless and degrading is teasing Minnesota and Iowa fans of “actual” wrestling with fabricated interest in joining their team. All to create buzz for an actor’s first gig. Yes, Steveson succeeded in suckering ALL NCAA wrestling fans with his employer’s marketing trick. But whether the scam generates added interest in his WWE thespian career is debatable. While most on these threads have no issue with athletes chasing wealth or celebrity, few appreciate calculated deceit during the chase. The pettiest ones (me) will even root against this particular fame-whore in all future international matches. Run along now, Gable. They’re waiting for you in the make-up and costume departments.
That’s the beauty of the fake wrestling gig. They don’t really care if you love or hate them. Just tune in and keep talking about them.

You are taking this way too seriously.

I said that WWE fans don't care about a guy's accomplishments in real wrestling.

Brock Lesner is / was the greatest physical specimen that promotion had ever seen. That is why he was pushed.
Don’t know if I’d go that far, but he was the best combination of size, build, and real athletic ability. I doubt you will ever see another guy be the heavyweight champion of both WWE and the UFC again.

You’re funny. It sounds like entertainment industry is a long term goal here. And that’s his bidness.
unless you have some numbers to bring to the discussion? It appears that this is a floundering industry! Not too certain that he can make any big money long term in pro wrestling? I admit, I could be wrong but I am just not seeing it for him.

You say "coach for chump change!!??" What would a school pay for a 2X-3X O champion? Add camps, endorsements, etc.... He would also have a solid future long term. Unless there is already millions on the table? I am not seeing how this is a smart choice???

unless you have some numbers to bring to the discussion? It appears that this is a floundering industry! Not too certain that he can make any big money long term in pro wrestling? I admit, I could be wrong but I am just not seeing it for him.

You say "coach for chump change!!??" What would a school pay for a 2X-3X O champion? Add camps, endorsements, etc.... He would also have a solid future long term. Unless there is already millions on the table? I am not seeing how this is a smart choice???
7qEM.gif

WWE is huge Bird. I'm not a fan but they sellout huge venues consistently.

Reactions: creamery freak

The WWE grosses over a billion annually. There’s nothing floundering about it. And I’m in no way a fan. It is just reality.

If he’s successful in the WWE he will make more in one year than he would in 25 years in the real wrestling world.

And it doesn’t work out he always has real wrestling to fall back on. Multiple time NCAA champs and Olympic gold medal winners will always have draw.

He wants to act, apparently?

Reactions: vhsalum
I can assure you that on the west coast (which has rabid Football, baseball and basketball fans) sports fan don’t know much and don’t care at all about real wrestling. Most sports fans are aware that wrestling is a big deal in Iowa, but more often than not they confuse Iowa with Iowa St and Oklahoma with Oklahoma St.
West Coast fans have rabid Football fans? Maybe N. Cal with the Niners and Seattle with the Seahawks but the college football scene is pretty tame in my opinion. I lived in So Cal for about 7 years. When I would go to a sports bar on a Saturday or Sunday to watch football (way too often btw) there were plenty of football fans but they were mostly from somewhere else. Funny story...a good buddy of mine and I went to a big Sports bar in Long Beach to watch Iowa/Purdue (this was in the late 80s). Place had probably about 15 big screens and only had the sound on for one game. UCLA was playing. SO Cal was playing. Plus numerous other games. We asked the waitress to put on the sound to the Iowa game. She did and nobody even noticed. It was similar on Sunday...the bar was jammed but it was all people from somewhere else for the most part. Not a bad thing. Now I will admit when i was in So Cal the Raiders were in and out, the Rams were the Lambs, so it was tough to get people interested in local Pro football.

Reactions: kkhawk
I respect Gable as a wrestler. As a WWE act? Not so much. As an actor? I don't see it.

There's some sour grapes, to be sure, but I'm also not a fan of faux press conferences in which fan bases of real wrestling serve as dupes for entertainment value. It was disrespectful to Iowa and Minny fans to hint that either was a possibility. It was just part of his new act. The joke's on us.

I wish him luck in his pursuit of money.

So do we need to wait to change the thread title to Streibletson or some other variation rather than a properly spelled name? There is a standard to uphold.

Reactions: vhsalum
It’s about making bank. That’s what I know.
Obviously they were using his background as a real wrestler to bring us Iowa and Minnesota fans to watch that show, and hopefully what his first match against baron von pussy. They were probably impressed with the numbers that night, but don’t understand we will never be tuning in again after being made fools of .

Obviously they were using his background as a real wrestler to bring us Iowa and Minnesota fans to watch that show, and hopefully what his first match against baron von pussy. They were probably impressed with the numbers that night, but don’t understand we will never be tuning in again after being made fools of .
I’m guessing wrestling fans were just a minor blip in the overall viewership.

I’m guessing wrestling fans were just a minor blip in the overall viewership.
So the publicity stunt which had many fans all over the country (was on flo) thinking he was coming back to college didn’t really gain him or WWE much, other than pissing off the amateur wrestling fans. I guess it was trial run at how well he can manipulate people, a needed skill in that job to get a following.

GS will always hold a special place in Eggum's life.

He is undoubtedly the only reason Eggs survived as long as he has at Minnesota.

Recruiting his older brother was genius.

Reactions: Hawk fan in Minn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT