ADVERTISEMENT

Stevo Poulin

Kinnick.At.Night

HR Legend
Jun 27, 2018
Anyone know if Iowa is recruiting Poulin? Or will be? The videos of him wrecking kids when he was a young child were hilarious. It’s good to see that he’s panned out as a successful high schooler.

Reactions: BuckeyeintheChi
No inside info but I’d probably bet he stays in NY or ends up at state college depending on Cael’s interest

No inside info but I’d probably bet he stays in NY or ends up at state college depending on Cael’s interest

Interesting. Did I read correctly once that his father promotes him bigtime? As in, he might be "one of those dads" that tends to over-manage his kid's career? If so, I would suspect Cael doesn't go there.

Ive followed Stevo since he was a youth wrestler. His dad is in the Lavar Ball mold but maybe worse. He used to have banners placed up, a van or truck with signs on it, videos etc. Daddy probably had the kid doing crunches in the crib with a 5lb medicine ball

Dont know much about Stevo's personality or ego but would surely require a hard look at dad and how much trouble he may/may not be

Ive followed Stevo since he was a youth wrestler. His dad is in the Lavar Ball mold but maybe worse. He used to have banners placed up, a van or truck with signs on it, videos etc. Daddy probably had the kid doing crunches in the crib with a 5lb medicine ball

Dont know much about Stevo's personality or ego but would surely require a hard look at dad and how much trouble he may/may not be

Wow. That would get old quick. How does Stevo look to do on the Cadet and Junior circuit? Does he have potential like Spencer Lee did at that age?

Agreed, but Lonzo Ball was the #2 draft pick so just because he has a crazy dad doesn’t mean he can’t be successful.

Agreed, but Lonzo Ball was the #2 draft pick so just because he has a crazy dad doesn’t mean he can’t be successful.
No argument there. However, some coaches , at a minimum, do some asking about parents when there is a reputation out there.

Ive been contacted on 2 occasions on behalf of 2 different Big10 coaches regarding input about a wrestlers dad's behavior. It figured in to some degree.

On one of these occasions, I reported the dad is a real pain and has relentlessly disrupted the boys youth team, and to a lesser degree, HS team. The College coach took the kid anyway but it lasted only 1 season before he transferred out.

No argument there. However, some coaches , at a minimum, do some asking about parents when there is a reputation out there

Yep. Most programs, I would imagine, have their morals and values extend as far as their options.

In other words, there are programs who just don't need headaches. They've got similar options without that problem attached. Needless to say, Iowa, Penn State, Oklahoma State, and a few others are in that group.

Reactions: crablegs1
Interesting. Did I read correctly once that his father promotes him bigtime? As in, he might be "one of those dads" that tends to over-manage his kid's career? If so, I would suspect Cael doesn't go there.
His dad was/is the one who promotes him but wouldn’t be the first time cael’s recruited or had a kid with an overbearing parent. It’s been years since I’ve been to a tournament Stevo was in but the ones I did get a chance to go to his dad wasn’t really one of those over the top parents in the stands or anything like that

Reactions: slushhead

Lonzo sucks ass. Lakers were stupid. Shoots from the hip like a girl. Just a horrible draft choice.

Stevo’s dad would be handled by TnT. I’d give him a try. I think he has what it takes to be a Hawkeye and a good one, just get dad to step back. He’s a hammer. Not coming anyway and I’d take Ayala.

His dad was/is the one who promotes him but wouldn’t be the first time cael’s recruited or had a kid with an overbearing parent. It’s been years since I’ve been to a tournament Stevo was in but the ones I did get a chance to go to his dad wasn’t really one of those over the top parents in the stands or anything like that

I met the dad and son about five years ago. I came away impressed after talking to them for about 30 minutes. The dad claimed that the video blew up way beyond anything he anticipated.

If we are not going to recruit wrestlers because they have crazy dads we are eliminating about half the recruits out there. Dealing with parents is part of being a college coach, and high school coach, and ...

I like Ayala more but they may be 3 weight classes apart when it is all said and done. If he has interest in Iowa I would not write him off. I was pretty surprised to see he was actually still a top tier talent once he hit high school after that video. I was almost certain we would never hear about him again.

I met the dad and son about five years ago. I came away impressed after talking to them for about 30 minutes. The dad claimed that the video blew up way beyond anything he anticipated.
The dad is a normal wrestling dad during his kids matches and gets a bad rap.Hes not known for yelling at refs or making excuses when his son losses.Hes known for the videos and pictures when his son was young but was never a vocal parent

The dad is a normal wrestling dad during his kids matches and gets a bad rap.Hes not known for yelling at refs or making excuses when his son losses.Hes known for the videos and pictures when his son was young but was never a vocal parent

Doesn't he hang posters at tournaments and play a theme song that was written for his pre-teen son? Honest question--this is only what I've read.

No argument there. However, some coaches , at a minimum, do some asking about parents when there is a reputation out there.

Ive been contacted on 2 occasions on behalf of 2 different Big10 coaches regarding input about a wrestlers dad's behavior. It figured in to some degree.

On one of these occasions, I reported the dad is a real pain and has relentlessly disrupted the boys youth team, and to a lesser degree, HS team. The College coach took the kid anyway but it lasted only 1 season before he transferred out.
Almost every coach that has recruited out kids (football) have asked the same basic questions in order:
1) How are grades
2) How is his character
3) Does he play other sports
4) How are his parents

Reactions: lionlover
Doesn't he hang posters at tournaments and play a theme song that was written for his pre-teen son? Honest question--this is only what I've read.
The poster thing has stopped.We have seen the video with the crazy mom running on the mat and the way some dads act during kids matches.Hes not one of those parents yelling and screaming wanting to fight other dads.I think that's what people think and it's not true.Did he hang some posters yes he did but he's not even in my top 100 for crazy parents

Reactions: el dub
The poster thing has stopped.We have seen the video with the crazy mom running on the mat and the way some dads act during kids matches.Hes not one of those parents yelling and screaming wanting to fight other dads.I think that's what people think and it's not true.Did he hang some posters yes he did but he's not even in my top 100 for crazy parents

Sounds like maybe his antics are a thing of the past. That's good for him and his son, IMHO.

Just to be clear, my question about the dad was more about the degree to which he "manages" his son's career than about matside behavior. Speculation about some dads has pegged them as obstructionist when it comes to the coach trying to get an athlete to buy into and adopt his program. Some personalities are more manageable than others, and some coaches may have different degrees of tolerance for parental conflict and distraction. Especially those who have a lot of fruit on the tree. That was why I asked.

Just to be clear, my question about the dad was more about the degree to which he "manages" his son's career than about matside behavior. Speculation about some dads has pegged them as obstructionist when it comes to the coach trying to get an athlete to buy into and adopt his program. Some personalities are more manageable than others, and some coaches may have different degrees of tolerance for parental conflict and distraction. Especially those who have a lot of fruit on the tree. That was why I asked.
I understand it's a valid question.If I'm Iowa I definitely look to recruit him he's a Iowa type kid

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT