ADVERTISEMENT

Street ball can only take you so far...

HawkOptimist

HB Heisman
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
Iowa State has a ton of talent coming back. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I think they will be a top 5-10 team at the start of next season.

BUT, today was proof that throwing a basketball to 5 guys and saying "get up and down the court and shoot some 3s, boys" is not going to get it done over the long haul. If those 3s fall, you're a genius. If they don't, well, you get what we had today.

Not saying Fred is a bad coach, but I truly believe he is better suited for the NBA.

Originally posted by HawkOptimist:
Iowa State has a ton of talent coming back. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I think they will be a top 5-10 team at the start of next season.

BUT, today was proof that throwing a basketball to 5 guys and saying "get up and down the court and shoot some 3s, boys" is not going to get it done over the long haul. If those 3s fall, you're a genius. If they don't, well, you get what we had today.

Not saying Fred is a bad coach, but I truly believe he is better suited for the NBA.
In their most recent game, they beat the #9 team in the nation despite making only 2 three-pointers.

Today they played decent defense. They got outhustled badly, especially on the boards. They couldn't make baskets. Played probably their worst game of the year. Shit happens.

Street ball? I haven't seen that from Iowa State at all. They just didn't rebound at all today. Allowed a lot of second chance points and on offense they didn't seem to attack like they normally do.

What they do is not street ball. They have concepts and Hoiberg gives them the freedom to make good decisions. Watch Davidson tomorrow night and you'll see a lot of the same thing. Concepts of spreading the floor and making it hard for the defense to help and react to multiple shooters. Don't overthink/overcoach. And ISU and Davidson have been two of the most efficient offenses this year.

But you still have to hustle and make effort plays. Which ISU had no interest in doing, until it was a close game in the second half. At that point, anything can happen (including missing shots that ISU normally makes).

Hoiberg is a good coach because he is able to get good players and (generally) get them to play hard and together. Today they didn't play particularly hard.

I wouldn't call it street ball but they do a lot of clearing out and going one on one. That didn't work so well today with UAB being able to match up with Niang. I agree this sometimes happens but Fred deserves some blame for not getting the guys up and/or finding a better way to attack UAB.

Had they won two and got to the Sweet 16, they would be a top #7 in preseason. I will say they will be a top #12 team.

Oh, and did Fred finally have one of his transfers blow up in his face? BDJ just wasn't the guy. Guess that goes to show he wasn't that good.

This team wasn't as good as last year, no Ejim and no 24 year old point guard this year.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

Originally posted by HawkOptimist:

In their most recent game, they beat the #9 team in the nation despite making only 2 three-pointers.

Today they played decent defense. They got outhustled badly, especially on the boards. They couldn't make baskets. Played probably their worst game of the year. Shit happens.
That's the headline. UAB with 52 rebounds!

I can understand where one would get "street ball" from what Iowa State does though, because a lot of times they have guys who try to do too much themselves and end up forcing bad shots (which to their credit they make during the regular season just because......................
indifferent.r191677.gif
).

Niang, among others, likes to get one-on-one matchups and tries to create something on his own. How often do you see ISU successfully score off an offensive set in the half court? Maybe they need to run more, and that might help to limit some of the careless shots and general play by their team.

Defensively, though, that's simply a matter of want-to and that's been an issue the whole year with them both in wins and certainly in losses.

Niang should be a rebounding machine but it is harder to rebound when you clear out and have 4 players standing around the 3 point line that much.

Wasn't that #9 team down 2-3 players? At least the fella's from Ames got their hair colored to help them remember this game. Seen high school teams do that.

Hoiberg is an excellent coach, and they don't play "street ball". ISU was simply outplayed today and their relative lack of size inside bit them in the a$$. Their rebounding was atrocious.

VerbumDei

AMDG

Can't even begin to project where ISU is going to be pre-season 2015-16 until we get an announcement from Niang, and we know FH is back (I'd put that at around 98%, but you never know. If the Bulls get ousted earlier I'd drop that to around 90%). With Niang, they are still going to be around #10 or close to it since everyone except Hogue is back, assuming there are no other unknown defections. Without him, they are still top 25

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:
Can't even begin to project where ISU is going to be pre-season 2015-16 until we get an announcement from Niang, and we know FH is back (I'd put that at around 98%, but you never know. If the Bulls get ousted earlier I'd drop that to around 90%). With Niang, they are still going to be around #10 or close to it since everyone except Hogue is back, assuming there are no other unknown defections. Without him, they are still top 25
Fred isn't going anywhere. Neither is Niang. If anybody might possibly leave, it would be Morris, but I would be surprised at that, too.

Isu just played a terrible game. Not a single player had a very good game. It's hard to win when that happens, they picked a bad time to have their worst game. Fred is a great coach and I too don't believe they play street ball. It was sad fully one of those days.

Street Ball was what Ole Miss tried playing today. That did not work. I don't think Iowa State plays street ball.
Very good team, good passing, good shooters but they just got beat today the same way Iowa did as a 3 seed.
They may have went in to that game with too much confidence. If your not a 1 seed, anyone is vulnerable.

'clones gave up 18 offensive rebounds(to their 9) and were outboarded by 17 overall. tough to overcome that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT