ADVERTISEMENT

Summer Relief On the Way? Supervolcano Possibility In Italy

Fake news! Have you ever actually seen a volcano erupt?

Me either….just another way that big lava is pulling the cinder over our eyes….
Yeah that one in Iceland. I can’t remember the exact spelling of it but I think it was something like. JfjangkwiALGNFKWehelppeiBzzbfnelllrjwerbcj9er

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
For a million bucks about all you get is “something something bend over and kiss your ass goodbye”

For a million bucks about all you get is “something something bend over and kiss your ass goodbye”
They did a study where they concluded that drilling holes and trying to cool the Yellowstone caldera with water was as likely to speed up an eruption as slow one.

So we’ve got that going for us.

They did a study where they concluded that drilling holes and trying to cool the Yellowstone caldera with water was as likely to speed up an eruption as slow one.

Like that would cool a mantle plume

Well, yeah, which basically makes the author of the article in the original post about as concrete as that Yianni guy on Ancient Aliens.
You mean Giorgio. Yanni, who also exists, is a long haired Greek composer of keyboard shlock music.

Reactions: Aardvark86

Drilling won't do diddly. Magma chambers even for calderic volcanoes are far beyond the reach of modern drilling equipment. The Russians have dug the deepest hole on earth and even that was superficial and multiple miles away from Earth's mantle.

Like that would cool a mantle plume
If you pumped in an enormous amount of water over time it would cool it, but cooling releases gases and they don’t know what the result would be.

Last edited:
Drilling won't do diddly. Magma chambers even for calderic volcanoes are far beyond the reach of modern drilling equipment. The Russians have dug the deepest hole on earth and even that was superficial and multiple miles away from Earth's mantle.
I don’t think they mean to reach it, more create a heat sink that lowers the temperature in the upper layers.

Reactions: GOHOX69
If you pumped in an enormous amount of water over time it would cool it, but cooling releases gases and they don’t know what the result would be.

It would be a technological challenge just making it through the crust

Reactions: GOHOX69
I don’t think we should try it. I’m just saying that they’ve studied ways to screw with the caldera and even if we could cool it, it’s unclear that would help.
I got ya. I meant nasa budgets in general.

Reactions: mnole03
Hey WWJD, how bout you take a break from fvcking up everyone’s day pal!!! Lol, I kid. But seriously, give it a break.

Send in Hillary Swank and Adam Eckhart plus the skinny white beatbox guy from Hustle & Flow.

Great. The old "it might not happen soon, so let's ignore it" argument.

It (nor Yellowstone, nor any of the others) is unlikely to happen tomorrow. But what preparations have we made?

I bet somewhere there's a "plan" that we paid a $million to develop in 2007, dropped in a file cabinet, and promptly forgot about. I wonder what it says? And how relevant it is today? And whether we could find it if it actually happens?
I mean honestly, what can we do to stop a super volcano from happening?

Here's something completely different to think about:

How would such a supervolcano eruption impact the Ukrainian war effort?

Depends on whether we get actual nuclear winter, and how long it lasts.

Would a couple of years of failed crops and livestock die-off reduce the polluter population enough for CO2 levels to start falling?
Depends on if enough people in China and India starve to death or not.

PerCapitaCO2emissions.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition

yeah, that's basically like dropping a mentos into a bottle of coke.

Absolutely, but since we are the top super power in the world, along with being responsible for a majority of CO2 already in the atmosphere, shouldn't the US lead by example?
Economically no, and don’t China and India both produce us in CO2

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT