ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano to Iowa State?

I thought he took money from Sunkist before the NIL deals became allowable. And, NIL deals have to be approved and recorded with university - and clearly what he received from Sunkist was not. Heard this from a reliable source but have no first-hand knowledge. Anyone?

Reactions: el dub
Would love him to come to Ames. Learned not to get my hopes up about any big recruit coming there.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
I thought he took money from Sunkist before the NIL deals became allowable. And, NIL deals have to be approved and recorded with university - and clearly what he received from Sunkist was not. Heard this from a reliable source but have no first-hand knowledge. Anyone?
Good luck figuring that one out. There used to be rules, then there were sorta rules and now there are no rules. Similar to Laws it appears.

So he was in Ames this weekend and absolutely no pictures of him in attendance and @smalls103 is the only one reporting this. I’m thinking click bait.

Reactions: chuck285
So he was in Ames this weekend and absolutely no pictures of him in attendance and @smalls103 is the only one reporting this. I’m thinking click bait.
This is actually one time you can’t blame willie.

Although if you want to be factual he didn’t arrive until late Sunday night and left today, so to me that’s not really the weekend

Money for "training" expenses is not NIL earnings.

For example, current college wrestlers who are on the US National Team get paid a stipend each month from USA Wrestling and it is totally ok with the NCAA. The athletes just work with their school's compliance department/NCAA to document the money was used for training expenses or living expenses, such as, travel (travel / lodging to go train somewhere, or travel for a competition). Rent payments, and food are considered appropriate uses of the money. Therefore, accepting money from a club as a stipend to train during an Olympic Redshirt probably did not violate any NCAA rules. This happens every year, not just in Olympic years when guys take Olympic redshirts. If you are a college wrestler on the US National Team you get paid a monthly stipend and just have to tell compliance it went to pay for rent and food etc. Typically $800 / $600/ $400 (1st place guy / 2nd place guy / 3rd place guy at the Trials). If a club wanted to pay him $2,000 a month he would just have to show it went to cover rent, travel, food, chiropractor visits, etc.

I'm going to predict he goes to PSU and that this visit was just to drive up the money offer from PSU. PSU needs him to win the championships and WILL make sure they paid the amount needed for his services and he knows it.
That sounds very plausible to me, Twister.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkinBako
The Big Fish in the small pond theory works too. Don't underestimate the need for relevance for Iowa State and it will only take a couple of fed up boosters to make it work. There are still plenty of those around who remember the glory days and want to see it return. Suriano would at least draw attention to the program.

If Suriano ended up in Ames I would project ISU to finish in the 4th-8th place range at nationals. 2 finalists and 3 or 4 rd of 12 type guys should get you 60-65 points. Sprinkle in a few qualifiers who win a match or 2.

Reactions: MitchLL
If Suriano ended up in Ames I would project ISU to finish in the 4th-8th place range at nationals. 2 finalists and 3 or 4 rd of 12 type guys should get you 60-65 points. Sprinkle in a few qualifiers who win a match or 2.

A bit optimistic for the scenario given. Round of 12s only score a couple of points, a couple more if they get bonus which isn’t common. A more realistic number for the above is 50ish. Add 4 for each champ.

And they said, not seeing that many round of 12 types at ISU. Parker and Coleman? Who else?

A bit optimistic for the scenario given. Round of 12s only score a couple of points, a couple more if they get bonus which isn’t common. A more realistic number for the above is 50ish. Add 4 for each champ.

And they said, not seeing that many round of 12 types at ISU. Parker and Coleman? Who else?
Degen, Colbray, maybe Broderson. Regardless its not a stretch to say Iowa state scores in the 35-40 point range this year. Add 20-25 points from a transfer finalist is in the range of 60 points.

Parker and Degen are at the same weight and Colbray isn’t even on the team.
I don't think Parker has the horsepower for 149, and Degen is one more injury waiting to happen.

The mere fact that Degen and Parker are fighting for the same spot is a testament to some piss poor pre season planning.

I think the only reason Degen is still on the roster is so he can be on the "farewell tour" when ISU goes to Montana for the dual.

BAU at ISU.

Rumor also on Clone forum that Dresser might be hanging out at 7-11 again looking for a 25lber.

Seems they have a jailbird running from the cops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gobblin
it's honestly one of the better outcomes because he's not on a contending team and out of the big ten so he only gets one crack at spencer.
Absolutely agree, if he's coming back for a year then any school that's a non threat for national championship is best case scenario scenario for us.

Time for the clown fans to pony up and see if they can buy themselves a mercenary (looking at you, crabcakes).

it's honestly one of the better outcomes because he's not on a contending team and out of the big ten so he only gets one crack at spencer.
The contending team thing I agree with. As for getting more than one crack at Spencer, that works both ways.

The contending team thing I agree with. As for getting more than one crack at Spencer, that works both ways.
Typically wrestling multiple times is more beneficial to the worse wrestler, which is anybody Spencer ever faces. Especially if he has had to change anything about his style due to having zero acls, it would stand to reason that the less Spencer wrestles the top competition, the better.

That being said, I'd still pick Spencer to beat Suriano 10 out of 10, because it's Spencer freaking Lee.

I don't think Parker has the horsepower for 149, and Degen is one more injury waiting to happen.

The mere fact that Degen and Parker are fighting for the same spot is a testament to some piss poor pre season planning.

I think the only reason Degen is still on the roster is so he can be on the "farewell tour" when ISU goes to Montana for the dual.

BAU at ISU.

Rumor also on Clone forum that Dresser might be hanging out at 7-11 again looking for a 25lber.

Seems they have a jailbird running from the cops.
Degen is healthy for once - anyone is one injury from being done. It's not his farewell tour, he wanted to come back for a healthy season & not go out like he did last year. And you are completely correct about poor pre season planning. There is more I could say but won't. It makes zero sense not to have them both in the line up. Doesn't make the team stronger by any means.

Degen is healthy for once - anyone is one injury from being done. It's not his farewell tour, he wanted to come back for a healthy season & not go out like he did last year. And you are completely correct about poor pre season planning. There is more I could say but won't. It makes zero sense not to have them both in the line up. Doesn't make the team stronger by any means.
Outside of hiring Carr's Daddy for the CRTC to get David on campus, what has been Dresser's greatest accomplishment in his nearly five years in Ames?

Asking for a friend. And you know that's not me because I don't have any friends.

Outside of hiring Carr's Daddy for the CRTC to get David on campus, what has been Dresser's greatest accomplishment in his nearly five years in Ames?

Asking for a friend. And you know that's not me because I don't have any friends.
I agree Dresser has not accomplished much, but getting Carr did help. He now has an NCAA Champion. But, framing it (my perception) as if hiring Nate Carr is a shady way to land a top recruit, is not as ridiculous as it seems. ISU is dad's alma matter where he was a 3x NCAA champion, David's brother recently graduated from there, and hiring an Olympic Bronze Medalist to coach your RTC makes sense in every situation. Was it a carrot, certainly it was, but it passes the smell test because Nate (and David) certainly has the ties and the credentials.

Btw, Suriano is in Columbus today getting the Grand Tour from Tan Tom.

"Go to ISU, Nick. It'll be perfect for you."

I know you miss the Wainwrights, Bobby, but they were weak and stupid  people - and that's why we have wolves and other large predators. |  MetaFilter

I agree Dresser has not accomplished much, but getting Carr did help. He now has an NCAA Champion. But, framing it (my perception) as if hiring Nate Carr is a shady way to land a top recruit, is not as ridiculous as it seems. ISU is dad's alma matter where he was a 3x NCAA champion, David's brother recently graduated from there, and hiring an Olympic Bronze Medalist to coach your RTC makes sense in every situation. Was it a carrot, certainly it was, but it passes the smell test because Nate (and David) certainly has the ties and the credentials.

Btw, Suriano is in Columbus today getting the Grand Tour from Tan Tom.

Agreed completely. Now explain Derek Fix.

Degen, Colbray, maybe Broderson. Regardless its not a stretch to say Iowa state scores in the 35-40 point range this year. Add 20-25 points from a transfer finalist is in the range of 60 points.
I watched Briggs from Wartburg major Broderson. He may make round of 12 at Big 12, but don’t see it at nats!

I'm going to predict he goes to PSU and that this visit was just to drive up the money offer from PSU. PSU needs him to win the championships and WILL make sure they paid the amount needed for his services and he knows it.
I had a former Hawkeye great tell me the very same thing today... Therefore, there might be some truth to your theory and the Surianos and Carl have mended fences. Carl knows he has a shot to knock of Iowa this season if he can land Suriano, so he may help facilitate the NIL money the Surianos are allegedly asking for. Also, it makes sense for Dresser to try and get him. ISU goes from a 15th place team to a top 10 team overnight. That helps the cause at ISU and lifts the prominence of the program..

However, if anyone else is going to try and compete with PSU in the courting of Suriano, and dis the guys currently on his team that have been putting in the time, it is Ryan. If for no other reason just to prevent Suriano from ending up at PSU. If that happens, we should be sending Tom Ryan a case of Omaha Steaks after Iowa wins the NCAAs, because his preventing PSU from getting Suriano may have sealed the Championship for the Hawkeyes.

I don't care about Dresser's accomplishments, all I care about is Jarrett's last season. Once he's done, ISU is behind me. And if he gets screwed this season b/c of azz kissing, they can all go to hell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT