ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano to Iowa State?

PSU recruiting in 2016 came pretty close to this year's tOSU
1 - Mark Hall
2 - Suriano
5 - Manville

Side note.... FLO ranked that PSU class only #2 behind NC St, because, see,..... NC St got more top 100 guys. Lol!

I'd also point out that no one in the current class that tOSU got comes close to Hall as far as credentials. Hall won 2 consecutive Jr World FS gold medals (won finals of 2nd one by TF) before heading to PSU.

Now if tOSU can have multiple consecutive years of getting many top 10 p4p guys, they might someday approach PSU. PSU, since Cael, has had so much success getting top 10 guys, they start out on 3rd base before Cael "develops" them.
Do you recall what Decatur was ranked? I know he was very high, it's incredible really. He demonstrates that he's the best wrestlers in the country for about the first minute of every match, I always felt bad he was sacrificing everything to be at a sucked out weight. Everybody's body responds differently to hard cuts....I was worried they'd chew him up and spit him out.. Kinda like Keyshawn Hayes...both very talented. Rooting for JDecatur against non Hawks, seems like a very selfless individual.

Decatur was ranked #5 in one of them. I remember seeing him wrestle a highly ranked Iowa HS kid in some tournament (don't remember who) and Decatur looked awesome... clearly faster. Thought he'd be a collegiate star.

tOSU builds a monster recruiting class right after NIL is put into practice. Yet, PSU was building monster recruiting classes before NIL.

Is NIL leveling the playing field by making loopholes PSU exploited now open to everyone?

Reactions: el dub and Jrjt0518
tOSU builds a monster recruiting class right after NIL is put into practice. Yet, PSU was building monster recruiting classes before NIL.

Is NIL leveling the playing field by making loopholes PSU exploited now open to everyone?
PSU had “many” factors to build off of and still does. I would say the NIL most likely will make the top schools more untouchable as far as team titles. The good thing is when it comes to the NCAAs there still will always be those guys that were not top recruits that work their way up the ladder to unseed the seeded.

Last edited:
PSU recruiting in 2016 came pretty close to this year's tOSU
1 - Mark Hall
2 - Suriano
5 - Manville

Side note.... FLO ranked that PSU class only #2 behind NC St, because, see,..... NC St got more top 100 guys. Lol!

I'd also point out that no one in the current class that tOSU got comes close to Hall as far as credentials. Hall won 2 consecutive Jr World FS gold medals (won finals of 2nd one by TF) before heading to PSU.

Now if tOSU can have multiple consecutive years of getting many top 10 p4p guys, they might someday approach PSU. PSU, since Cael, has had so much success getting top 10 guys, they start out on 3rd base before Cael "develops" them.
And they got only one ncaa title out of the 3, I’m sure Carl was not ”happy” about that.

Do you recall what Decatur was ranked? I know he was very high, it's incredible really. He demonstrates that he's the best wrestlers in the country for about the first minute of every match, I always felt bad he was sacrificing everything to be at a sucked out weight. Everybody's body responds differently to hard cuts....I was worried they'd chew him up and spit him out.. Kinda like Keyshawn Hayes...both very talented. Rooting for JDecatur against non Hawks, seems like a very selfless individual.
Jordan Decatur is up at 141, Jacob Decatur transferred to DIII Baldwin Wallace. Jordan Decatur has tons of talent And you are correct, we see it in the first minute of many matches, That is why Ryan stuck with him for so long the past two seasons despite what we all saw the last 5 minutes of those matches. I think you are way off on his "sacrificing everything" for the team... He wasn't having to cut that much.
2020 season, Koontz was cutting more (he placed at the Cliff Keen beating two guys ranked in top 15) but Decatur looked so impressive in practice they pulled the redshirt. However, they still had Koontz weigh in for every dual meet for a month just in case Decatur missed weight. Koontz was then asked to cut to 125 since Heinselman was struggling, which he did (winning two Opens, and losing to DeAugustino of NW 3-2, before spraining ankle just before PSU dual which ended his season). Decatur has been a poor cutter, not a big cutter. He doesn't have the will and discipline. The toughness is lacking, and sometimes the will to fight in matches. It could also be a mental thing. He doesn't perform well if uncomfortable. Decatur missed weight at the Big Ten Tournamnet despite only being four pounds over two days before weigh-ins. Selfless individuals don't miss weight at the Big Ten Tournament. He is a super nice and respectful kid and he is well liked on the team, but they also know he let them down repeatedly with his efforts. I hope we see him reach his potential at 141 this season.
Hayes wasn't thrown under the bus. He was constantly injured. Unless McKenna transferring in their junior years was throwing him under the bus. Hayes could not beat McKenna (then Pletcher) or Micah Jordan up at 149.

Last edited:
No evidence at all. Just the amounts of great recruits that one team can get in a two-three year period with 9.9 schollys. Again jmo. Not going back and fourth with you. Look at the numbers posted above. Not that hard to figure out!!!
"No evidence at all" but I'll still make the claim... Not exactly the best way to support an accusation or argument.
With that said, Tom (and Anthony Ralph) are great recruiters. Gobblin is correct that Ryan is a fraud.Ryan was the sleazy used car salesman in a previous life.

"No evidence at all" but I'll still make the claim... Not exactly the best way to support an accusation or argument.
With that said, Tom (and Anthony Ralph) are great recruiters. Gobblin is correct that Ryan is a fraud.Ryan was the sleazy used car salesman in a previous life.
You got it. Carry on!!!

Came across this article, dated yesterday…
NIL Deal a Double Edged Sword for PSU Wrestling

Reason I’m posting it is because Cael sounds uneasy about NIL and likely tOSU’s recent haul. Here’s the quote if you want to skip the article:

Of course, with all the good that comes with athletes benefiting from their name, image and likeness, there’s a downside with unforeseen repercussions.

“I think the unintended, but obviously clear, consequences would be involved in the recruiting aspect, where it's not supposed to be a part of,” Sanderson said.

Jordan Decatur is up at 141, Jacob Decatur transferred to DIII Baldwin Wallace. Jordan Decatur has tons of talent And you are correct, we see it in the first minute of many matches, That is why Ryan stuck with him for so long the past two seasons despite what we all saw the last 5 minutes of those matches. I think you are way off on his "sacrificing everything" for the team... He wasn't having to cut that much.
2020 season, Koontz was cutting more (he placed at the Cliff Keen beating two guys ranked in top 15) but Decatur looked so impressive in practice they pulled the redshirt. However, they still had Koontz weigh in for every dual meet for a month just in case Decatur missed weight. Koontz was then asked to cut to 125 since Heinselman was struggling, which he did (winning two Opens, and losing to DeAugustino of NW 3-2, before spraining ankle just before PSU dual which ended his season). Decatur has been a poor cutter, not a big cutter. He doesn't have the will and discipline. The toughness is lacking, and sometimes the will to fight in matches. It could also be a mental thing. He doesn't perform well if uncomfortable. Decatur missed weight at the Big Ten Tournamnet despite only being four pounds over two days before weigh-ins. Selfless individuals don't miss weight at the Big Ten Tournament. He is a super nice and respectful kid and he is well liked on the team, but they also know he let them down repeatedly with his efforts. I hope we see him reach his potential at 141 this season.
Hayes wasn't thrown under the bus. He was constantly injured. Unless McKenna transferring in their junior years was throwing him under the bus. Hayes could not beat McKenna (then Pletcher) or Micah Jordan up at 149.
Good responses there. Wasn't aware Jordan Decatur struggles so much with self-discpline, though I am aware Jordan is up at 141 now, I intended to convey that I was worried they"d chew him up with was in the past tense. I had no idea he was such an undisciplined weight cutter. It's really strange that Tom Ryan was unable to hold him accountable for 2 years. That's the entire reason a coach exists. I doubt Brands would have the same issue. But I really wanted to segway into Keyshawn Hayes there anyway, I know it sucked with Micah and him ending up same weight as Srs. I remember Hayes as having been very talented yet wrestling up a weight class or two every single damn year. I watched the wrestle off between he and Mckenna 141) and I remember feeling bad for hayes cause a stall call or or something ended up sending it to overtime but Hayes was winning the match almost the whole time. Didn't mckenna win in rideouts? That tight of a match settles it? I know tan ryan was going for the championship that year but I have an extreme dislike for coaches that recruit over someone because they may bring an extra .5 points in at nationals and at that point considering Hayes performance the year prior compared to Mckenna's I thought Hayes had the better tourny. Neither AA'd but hayes was up a damn weight class or even 2. Either way I thought it was in poor taste to KH that he had to wrestle up a weight class or 2 like every single year of his eligibility.

Good responses there. Wasn't aware Jordan Decatur struggles so much with self-discpline, though I am aware Jordan is up at 141 now, I intended to convey that I was worried they"d chew him up with was in the past tense. I had no idea he was such an undisciplined weight cutter. It's really strange that Tom Ryan was unable to hold him accountable for 2 years. That's the entire reason a coach exists. I doubt Brands would have the same issue. But I really wanted to segway into Keyshawn Hayes there anyway, I know it sucked with Micah and him ending up same weight as Srs. I remember Hayes as having been very talented yet wrestling up a weight class or two every single damn year. I watched the wrestle off between he and Mckenna 141) and I remember feeling bad for hayes cause a stall call or or something ended up sending it to overtime but Hayes was winning the match almost the whole time. Didn't mckenna win in rideouts? That tight of a match settles it? I know tan ryan was going for the championship that year but I have an extreme dislike for coaches that recruit over someone because they may bring an extra .5 points in at nationals and at that point considering Hayes performance the year prior compared to Mckenna's I thought Hayes had the better tourny. Neither AA'd but hayes was up a damn weight class or even 2. Either way I thought it was in poor taste to KH that he had to wrestle up a weight class or 2 like every single year of his eligibility.
I agree with your comments on coaches who recruit over a guy. With regards to McKenna, the guy got 3rd at NCAAs his freshmen year. What really set KeShawn back was his shoulder injury at the start of the 2017 season. Regarding Decatur, many within the program lost respect for Ryan for how he did not seem to hold Decatur accountable and kept favoring him, protecting him etc. As I stated in a previous post, last season in the Ohio State vs Iowa dual, Koontz had been off the mat for a month due to testing positive and being under a 10 day Covid quarantine. Then, he had to wait a month to have his carditis screening before he was cleared to participate in any type of workout. He returned to practice two days prior to the dual after a month of not being allowed any type of workout on university property and Ryan throws him out against DeSanto. People are still hoping and cautiously optimistic that Decatur develops so as to not let all that skill and talent go to waste.

Came across this article, dated yesterday…
NIL Deal a Double Edged Sword for PSU Wrestling

Reason I’m posting it is because Cael sounds uneasy about NIL and likely tOSU’s recent haul. Here’s the quote if you want to skip the article:

Of course, with all the good that comes with athletes benefiting from their name, image and likeness, there’s a downside with unforeseen repercussions.

“I think the unintended, but obviously clear, consequences would be involved in the recruiting aspect, where it's not supposed to be a part of,” Sanderson said.

I heard on Willie's podcast, that both Cael and Tom Brands are being very firm with inbound recruits when the topic of NIL comes up. Their standard reply is "I can't talk about that" and they move on. Both are maintaining their integrity on this subject and my hat is off to Tom/Terry for doing so.

Other schools have blurred the line between NIL and recruiting, potentially either promising $NIL openly or with a wink and a nod passing recruits over to a handler so to speak to close the deal. Word is PSU has already lost a top target due to 'guaranteed' NIL alone. I am not going to say tOSU is the culprit but their current class is the strongest in the nation by far.

Apparently the arbitor is each respective university's compliance office, so at least for now we cannot expect uniformity across the Big 10. More unintended consequences on the way.

Last edited:
I am not quite sure where I heard it Flo or Willie, but the rumor is both Cael and Tom Brands are being very firm with inbound recruits when the topic of NIL comes up. Their standard reply is "I can't talk about that" and they move on. Both are maintaining their integrity on this subject and my hat is off to Tom/Terry for doing so.

Other schools have blurred the line between NIL and recruiting, potentially either promising $NIL openly or with a wink and a nod passing recruits over to a handler so to speak to close the deal. Word is PSU has already lost a top target due to this alone. I am not going to say tOSU is the culprit but their current class is the strongest in the nation by far.

Apparently the arbitor is each respective university's compliance office, so at least for now we cannot expect uniformity across the Big 10. More unintended consequences on the way.
Pretty much a given there was going to be "unintended consequences".

I heard on Willie's podcast, that both Cael and Tom Brands are being very firm with inbound recruits when the topic of NIL comes up. Their standard reply is "I can't talk about that" and they move on. Both are maintaining their integrity on this subject and my hat is off to Tom/Terry for doing so.

Other schools have blurred the line between NIL and recruiting, potentially either promising $NIL openly or with a wink and a nod passing recruits over to a handler so to speak to close the deal. Word is PSU has already lost a top target due to 'guaranteed' NIL alone. I am not going to say tOSU is the culprit but their current class is the strongest in the nation by far.

Sounds about right on all fronts. Surprising news would be that Ohio state is doing anything by the books.

Reactions: MVPFAN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT