ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano to Iowa State?

The Iowa and PSU rivalry didn't begin until the internet era, so while fans go at each other online, it is more good natured in person. The Okie State rivalry on the other hand predates the internet, and the dislike is deeper IMO. I've seen fist fights between Iowa and Okie State fans (most recently at Battle on the Gridiron), but nothing like that between Iowa and PSU fans.

The Iowa and PSU rivalry didn't begin until the internet era, so while fans go at each other online, it is more good natured in person. The Okie State rivalry on the other hand predates the internet, and the dislike is deeper IMO. I've seen fist fights between Iowa and Okie State fans (most recently at Battle on the Gridiron), but nothing like that between Iowa and PSU fans.
I personally detest PSU and can live with O K St but I’m only 32 and OK St hasn’t really been a threat like PSU in my day.

i still don't understand your angst.

even if NLWC paid Snyder a gazillion (of Grips money) to wrestle there, it's totally legal. it was their choice, and kyle's choice.

if you think Kyle left because of money, you're loonier than i thought.

you're free to hate penn state for whatever reason/s you want, but this topic aint one
Isn’t it interesting that Kerkvleit left OSU less than two months after Snyder left the OSU campus? Less than 3 months later Kerk announces he’s going to PSU.
How do you chalk this up to pure coincidence? This is a good enough reason for a few haters.

Isn’t it interesting that Kerkvleit left OSU less than two months after Snyder left the OSU campus? Less than 3 months later Kerk announces he’s going to PSU.
How do you chalk this up to pure coincidence? This is a good enough reason for a few haters.
Kerk went to tOSU to train with Snyder. When Snyder left Kerk followed. Not much to be mad at here.

as far disliking.. It’s psu more right now bc of Carl and them being more recently elite. I didn’t like OSU growing up but can never dislike John. Good coach, great wrestler, and good announcer. The whole playing the edge thing gets to me but when push out comes , no mas.

as far disliking.. It’s psu more right now bc of Carl and them being more recently elite. I didn’t like OSU growing up but can never dislike John. Good coach, great wrestler, and good announcer. The whole playing the edge thing gets to me but when push out comes , no mas.
I had a lot of "disdain" for Smith and all things Okie State when I was a young lad. Rivalry thing. Then I had a little conversation with John Smith in a bar in Iowa City after Nationals was over (not sure of the year - 91 or 95) but he was a "normal" good dude just shooting the breeze as far as I was concerned. Still want to kick the crap out of the Pokes of course.............but he's a hard guy not to like outside of the competition factor, IMO. Does a good job with the announcing, and seems to really care about U.S.A. Wrestling in general.

I had a lot of "disdain" for Smith and all things Okie State when I was a young lad. Rivalry thing. Then I had a little conversation with John Smith in a bar in Iowa City after Nationals was over (not sure of the year - 91 or 95) but he was a "normal" good dude just shooting the breeze as far as I was concerned. Still want to kick the crap out of the Pokes of course.............but he's a hard guy not to like outside of the competition factor, IMO. Does a good job with the announcing, and seems to really care about U.S.A. Wrestling in general.
This. The Okie State rivalry is in large part so intense because Okie State was literally rebuilt in the 80s to be the anti Iowa, so the contrast in styles and high level of success was easy to hate. But John Smith is right there with Tom Brands among active college wrestling coaches doing whatever they can to help promote and grow the sport.

It was 100% because Snyder left. Can't really fault Snyder for wanting to get better but Ohio State also has plenty to hate for the way Snyder left. Didn't tell anyone and basically just left in the middle of the night. Which was a slap in the face to Tervel and the coaching staff. His results since leaving have not objectively shown that he has gotten any better though.

Plus it also cost them Kerk. In the end though I'm not sure Kerk is gonna be the elite wrestler many thought he would. Even if Gable leaves he still seems solidly behind Cass who looked amazing at U23, Mason and even Schultz for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
That is my impression, too.

It could be that Carl wanted Kerk real bad and knew the formula would be to get both in well before making an offer to KS.
I feel like we're really stretching with this argument. It presupposes that the only reason Penn State would want Kyle Snyder, one of the most decorated US Freestylers ever already and still in his physical prime, would be to get Greg Kerkvleit. There's no doubt that it had additional benefits for Carl & Co. beyond just actually getting Snyder, but are you trying to claim that it would not have been a great benefit on its own?

Reactions: fronk71
I feel like we're really stretching with this argument. It presupposes that the only reason Penn State would want Kyle Snyder, one of the most decorated US Freestylers ever already and still in his physical prime, would be to get Greg Kerkvleit. There's no doubt that it had additional benefits for Carl & Co. beyond just actually getting Snyder, but are you trying to claim that it would not have been a great benefit on its own?
Never underestimate the level Carl will go to. We could start with Andrew Long, which is where it actually did start IMO. I believe the term is precursor. (I don't think Carl is the anti-Christ, but he might throw a little shade on a hot summer day......).

Last edited:
That is kind of funny. I have spent time with Iowa fans in many places for many years, and have never seen fist fights, a few playful wrestling matches, and a lot of fun trash talk.

Yes, but I’m done with this argument.

Hell, he might end up at none of the three schools mentioned. Or just be done with college wrestling.
Would he need to be part of a team this semester to compete in post season or could he start competing second semester and still qualify for post season?

Would he need to be part of a team this semester to compete in post season or could he start competing second semester and still qualify for post season?
I assume he can just pop in somewhere for second semester being "enrolled". I think "tigerguy" stated the most likely scenario... he never sees the inside of a classroom. Because he probably wouldn't be "flunking out" or on any academic probation until well after Nattys are done.

That is kind of funny. I have spent time with Iowa fans in many places for many years, and have never seen fist fights, a few playful wrestling matches, and a lot of fun trash talk.
To be fair, there was a lot of alcohol involved at the Battle on the Gridiron because of the tailgaiting beforehand. And the other fight was outside a bar between sessions and it was broken up quickly by friends on both sides and everyone went on with their day.

Not sure if he ever has to go to Ames. Think they can just show up at Detriot and collect the check.

Reactions: el dub
Same. Conversed with some Poke fans in between sessions every now and again (and Clones and Penn Stater's, etc), and sometimes when Iowa or Okie State had their hoops teams playing. No fights or wrestling matches, just normal sports friendly banter. It's not hard, even for me. 🙂

With the current state of 125 at P. State, I don't see any way that Carl doesn't bring in a transfer for the season. Nick is the top of the list. I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up at P. State unless he doesn't wrestle anywhere this year.

So, fill me in here... with all the Covid guys back this season, is the Hildebrandt kid anything more than a 6-8 guy at Nattys?

That's not many points.

It's November. The deadline to enroll for the first semester passed a long time ago.

So, fill me in here... with all the Covid guys back this season, is the Hildebrandt kid anything more than a 6-8 guy at Nattys?

That's not many points.

The only big potential point scorer on the street is Suriano.

Reactions: Grip220

That's not many points.
Most likely with Vito and Glory back. He’s comparable to Teske. Howard only scored 1.5 points last year.

Reactions: MitchLL
Zero bonus points last year all of his matches were close, however, that’s his style. An excellent rider and decent defense.

He is enrolled at PSU.
Then he should be in the room and on the roster? (no idea, haven't looked) Looks like he's on his last year, beat Teske 4-2 in SV-1 and lost to Spencer and McKee on his way to 4th last year.

Did Carl tell him he might be wasting his last season on the pine if Suriano walks thru the door 2nd semester? (queue sinister background music ) Duh,duh,duh!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT