ADVERTISEMENT

SWARM!!

Well it's been extremely recent then.
Yeah, no shit. Like a QB that just committed on Tuesday you mean? The Swarm has only been up and running for 5-6 months now. This is the first recruiting class and transfer class where it's been able to make an impact. A lot of people - sounds like you included - seem to be hung up on the equal pay for current players part (which is how the coaches wanted it) but that is only one part of what the Swarm does. That sets the floor so every FB, MBB, and WBB player has a monthly stipend. Then the other part of the Swarm sets the ceiling where they can match top players up with businesses, car dealerships, etc. to create more opportunities way beyond that.

You'll need to be more specific. It obviously needs more funding, but as far as I know, this is the best the U of I has. Maybe @Tx_Hawk would want to comment as well.
Well he can please help us here.

Prior to any very recent updates, the money was only going to help CURRENT members of the football and men's and women's bb teams.

Nothing was in place for POTENTIOL recruits.

Go for it. I have been duped into donating gifts, major gifts to UI athletics through the years (I’m old). TV money made my donations and ticket purchases inconsequential. Now your telling me giving for 18-22 year olds to line their pockets to make some of your saturdays more happy—- yeah, a big NO.

Good grief people there is hunger, hospitals, education oops that need help…. But by God, let’s pay kids(and obscene amounts to head coaches (not assistants)) for what? Seriously we need a recalibration
You're telling us you donated money that went into the hands of millionaire coaches and administrators profiting off the players' labor, but that paying the people actually playing the games and risking their bodies is too far?

Reactions: mikesright
OMG.

You run this place?

Let me spell this out again.

Not very long ago, I'm talking like a week ago, ZERO dollars were for any RECRUITS.

It was ALL for CURRENT players.

YOU are saying there have been UPDATES.

I'm asking for a link or source where it talks about these UPDATES.
So, you don't think Proctor has an NIL deal lined up?

Reactions: HawkFaninOK
So, you don't think Proctor has an NIL deal lined up?
I have absolutely no clue and I'm not going to pretend I do.

What I'm telling you is what I know from a RECENT CONVERSATION from the guy that runs the damn SWARM.

I'm not making a single thing up here.

IF there have been updates, I'd seriously like to know.

I'm not going to donate to how the SWARM was set up two weeks ago.

If it's now attracting new talent that will change.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
I have absolutely no clue and I'm not going to pretend I do.

What I'm telling you is what I know from a RECENT CONVERSATION from the guy that runs the damn SWARM.

I'm not making a single thing up here.

IF there have been updates, I'd seriously like to know.

I'm not going to donate to how the SWARM was set up two weeks ago.

If it's now attracting new talent that will change.
It’s helping attract new talent by having it in place. Swarm is more organized than other schools. So when a player gets on the team they have immediate access to $ and NIL opportunities. No, swarm isn’t going to just cut a check to a recruit….but explaining what we have in place to potential recruits, in turn, helps Iowa get commitments.

@HawkMachine, I believe Blairs response of "it already has" was in reference to NIL being a contributing factor to getting Cade McNamara, not that they made some huge update to how the Swarm NIL works. So to that end, the Swarm has already been used to help get a national recruit to come to Iowa.

It seems you want Iowa to have a thriving NIL that you can contribute to that helps get players to Iowa. But it sounds like it isn't setup the way you want, which is a you problem, not an Iowa problem.

But it sounds like it isn't setup the way you want, which is a you problem, not an Iowa problem.
You're absolutely right.

It's NOT set up how I would like it. I think it can be IMPROVED and have made suggestions.

I won't speak for all, that would be foolish, but I think I can speak for many.

It should be easy to direct funds to a specific sport.

Selfishly, if I donate money for Iowa athletics, I want it to go to one or two sports, wrestling and football.

Wrestling isn't in the SWARM and I understand why.

I'm not a basketball fan so I really don't want any of my funds going to bb.

I want it all going to football.

You're absolutely right.

It's NOT set up how I would like it. I think it can be IMPROVED and have made suggestions.

Selfishly, if I donate money for Iowa athletics, I want it to go to one or two sports, wrestling and football.

Write them a check and on the memo line put "OnLy FoR fOoTbaLl" - That should show 'em

=
You're absolutely right.

You can direct funds to a specific sport or even a specific player.

@Tx_Hawk can explain it better than I can if he's around. And he's not a dick like me. ;)

Wrestling would have been included, but they didn't want to. They want to do NIL through the HWC.

As a wrestling maniac, I can verify Blair's comment about the wrestling program. Wrestling's decision not to take part in SWARM has nothing to do with how SWARM is being run and everything to do with the fact that the wrestling program already has the HWC which functions as its NIL vehicle.

Does anyone know if I join at the $2500 level, do I get to choose which home game the tailgate pass is to?

I will probably only be escape the cattle farm in Oklahoma for 1 game next year.

Does anyone know if I join at the $2500 level, do I get to choose which home game the tailgate pass is to?

I will probably only be escape the cattle farm in Oklahoma for 1 game next year.
You will be able to join all tailgates and events. They will send you a card to show you are a member so no passes necessary.

Has Kirk chipped in? Is he allowed to? I also think the University should give equal hawk points (or whatever they call it) for donating to the swarm. Are they?
Can’t. Separate non affiliated non profit

You're telling us you donated money that went into the hands of millionaire coaches and administrators profiting off the players' labor, but that paying the people actually playing the games and risking their bodies is too far?once B1
You're telling us you donated money that went into the hands of millionaire coaches and administrators profiting off the players' labor, but that paying the people actually playing the games and risking their bodies is too far?
Facilities. However, once B1G tv money came into existence we diverted our giving exclusively to academics at Iowa, and a hospital in the community we live it(substance abuse, cancer, and behavioral health programs) and local human services. Changed our estate plan away from athletics too. When it’s a 6 figure estate gift (maybe 7 figure depending on market and how long I live) equates to a amount of money an athletic department spills on a monthly basis, seemed pretty ridiculous and unimportant.

That’s us, you do you

Reactions: Lumas Etima
Go for it. I have been duped into donating gifts, major gifts to UI athletics through the years (I’m old). TV money made my donations and ticket purchases inconsequential. Now your telling me giving for 18-22 year olds to line their pockets to make some of your saturdays more happy—- yeah, a big NO.

Good grief people there is hunger, hospitals, education oops that need help…. But by God, let’s pay kids(and obscene amounts to head coaches (not assistants)) for what? Seriously we need a recalibration

Yeah, my wife and I are both retired. We bought 2-4 season tickets for 45 years with I-club and Alumni group membership and other sports donations. We still love the hawks but give all our donation money to lot needier causes. The newer and younger hawk fans along with the working fans etc can give to NIL, which is fine as because as I said I spent the money on the hawks and traveled to games.

Go hawks

Take Cade's word for it.... SWARM is a complete waste of time.🤦‍♂️

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it outside of the rules to offer any amount of money to any athlete who has yet to commit to a college program? Sure, it's being abused all the time, just as dirty programs have broken rules for decades, but Iowa has always done its best to be as clean as possible, so by definition, SWARM can only "legally" offer financial assistance to athletes already committed -- just like any NIL collective operating within the rules. In other words, unless I'm mistaken, we have some fans complaining that we aren't breaking NIL rules.

By the way, this is also a good time to put in a plug for the Inner Circle. Just as diehard wrestling fans are hopping on the SWARM bandwagon, we could really use some football fans to hop on the Inner Circle wagon. Inner Circle membership has some really cool perks and also supports the HWC, which in turn supports the Iowa wrestling program.

To knock off PSU and get back to winning national team championships annually, we need to bolster our wrestling NIL. We're talking about the most successful program in modern collegiate athletics -- a real source of pride for anyone who loves the U of I. Living legend Spencer Lee and his teammates would really appreciate your support! You can check it out at Inner Circle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT