ADVERTISEMENT

Swiderski

Yeah I didn't make my point very well. What I meant to say is that this was Real's first match of the season, it was his Iowa debut, and it was his first time in Carver. Similar to Hall for PSU losing in his debut and first match in Carver, I'd think this would be when Real is at his most vulnerable compared to getting half a season's worth of duals under his belt and multiple matches in Carver. Swiderski is definitely tough, but if they go at it again I think Real widens the gap. Too good, too athletic and fast, too savvy. If Swiderski was going to get him, I do think this would've been his best chance.
Swiderski’s best chance to get Woods is a month and 4 matches into his career? Not that I’m betting for Swiderski if/when they meet again this year, but sign me up for the true frosh improving more than the 5th year senior by the time they meet again.

The humorous and hypocritical view of this Swiderski kid from ISU fans is worth noting.

If an Iowa kid acted like he did after the match on Sunday, Clone fans would be in an uproar. Same with the antics of the Cuban. Imagine a Hawk wrestler sticking his tongue out and acting like a six year old?

Remember ISU fans criticizing Metcalf and his schtick during his time at Iowa?

The difference is the color of the singlet. Oh, and the winning team and the losing team.

That NEVER changes.

Reactions: DirkTang1 and Hwt1
Swiderski’s best chance to get Woods is a month and 4 matches into his career? Not that I’m betting for Swiderski if/when they meet again this year, but sign me up for the true frosh improving more than the 5th year senior by the time they meet again.
He'll improve no doubt, I just think Real's experience and savvy now that he's seen him will widen the gap, and I think Real will settle in now that he has his 1st match of the season and Carver debut behind him. Again, the only offense I remember seeing out of Swiderski was in the 3rd when he countered Real's bad shot and in the last 30 seconds of the match when he knew he was going to lose.

The humorous and hypocritical view of this Swiderski kid from ISU fans is worth noting.

If an Iowa kid acted like he did after the match on Sunday, Clone fans would be in an uproar. Same with the antics of the Cuban. Imagine a Hawk wrestler sticking his tongue out and acting like a six year old?

The difference is the color of the singlet. Oh, and the winning team and the losing team.

That NEVER changes.
I had this thought as well. Imagine it was Desanto that did that. The whole world would’ve been calling for his head.

I saw a giant chip on a true freshmen grow even bigger after losing a razor close match (1td-0) to a seasoned stud.
That kid absolutely hated losing in carver today. Woods rematch in March will be dead even odds at best
You saw a giant chip grow even bigger? Really, he did't like losing? Ya think???

Woods 1st match of season, controlled the match, set the pace, chased him, rode him out! May have gotten a little tired in 3rd, which will not be the case down the rode!

Not taken anything away from their kid, but I'll take Woods all day if you want to put some $$$ down let me know?

Woods obviously is not going to be at his best in his first match since March. Swiderski struggles in 2 out of the 3 collegiate wrestling positions and is amazing from neutral. If they meet up in March, I’ll take the guy that’s proven he can win matches at that tournament.

If the Hawks had a true freshman battle a returning blue chip recruit and all American to a tight match in a hostile arena the way Swiderski did they would be anointing him the next national champ. It all depends if your goggles are Crimson or Gold...
My goggles are black and gold and I wouldn't mind Swiderski entering the portal and heading east next season. Just not too far east.

If the Hawks had a true freshman battle a returning blue chip recruit and all American to a tight match in a hostile arena the way Swiderski did they would be anointing him the next national champ. It all depends if your goggles are Crimson or Gold...
Crowning somebody champ based on him LOSING a close match in December is pretty short sided no matter what color your goggles are. I think he’ll be on the podium this year and has the talent to win national titles going forward, but the kids got some work to do

Crowning somebody champ based on him LOSING a close match in December is pretty short sided no matter what color your goggles are. I think he’ll be on the podium this year and has the talent to win national titles going forward, but the kids got some work to do
I completely agree! He has loads of work to do. Like most freshmen he struggles getting off bottom. Not uncommon skill to struggle with. That said, I like his ceiling. It is very his high. I predict AA honors at least 3 years. Most programs in the country would be happy with a 3 year AA guy.

I completely agree! He has loads of work to do. Like most freshmen he struggles getting off bottom. Not uncommon skill to struggle with. That said, I like his ceiling. It is very his high. I predict AA honors at least 3 years. Most programs in the country would be happy with a 3 year AA guy.
Don't disagree. My responses were mostly directed at posts saying the kid is a worldbeater right now and will win it all this year. I like our guy, the guy who beat him.

Nobody is saying that. At least nobody I saw posting. There should be nothing wrong with recognizing talent.
Post #6 in this thread.

And I'm pretty sure in every one of my posts I've said the kid is clearly loaded with talent.

That NEVER changes.
Man we do the same thing…

True freshman vs Woods with his experience and accolades in carver with a lit up home crowd with that close of an outcome? The gap ain’t getting wider I’m afraid

Man we do the same thing…
Wrong.

Example...Gilman.

Every Hawk fan knows/knew Gilman was a punk. His schtick was cringeworthy.

I think it's safe to say many Iowa fans only cheered for him because of the singlet he wore. He got called out plenty when he infiltrated that Gopher team huddle.

Clone fans don't seem to have an issue with the Cuban's stunt.

Reactions: Hawk170
Wrong.

Example...Gilman.

Every Hawk fan knows/knew Gilman was a punk. His schtick was cringeworthy.

I think it's safe to say many Iowa fans only cheered for him because of the singlet he wore. He got called out plenty when he infiltrated that Gopher team huddle.

Clone fans don't seem to have an issue with the Cuban's stunt.
Wrong. Many hawk fans loved gilmans antics because he was a hawk. Loved nelsons display, loved woods going off, loved Eierman stall taunt, loved Mocco kicking, Loved Metcalf pushing Caldwell, loved brands antics as a coach and wrestler. But act so above it and how dare they when getting it back.

Wrong. Many hawk fans loved gilmans antics because he was a hawk. Loved nelsons display, loved woods going off, loved Eierman stall taunt, loved Mocco kicking, Loved Metcalf pushing Caldwell, loved brands antics as a coach and wrestler. But act so above it and how dare they when getting it back.
Mike Evans is not impressed with being left off your list of fan-favorite Hawkeye villains.

01252014_iowawrestlingvsminnesota_mike-evans-013.jpg

What your examples fail to explain is that the Iowa fanbase for wrestling is probably 3X-5X larger than any other fanbase in the country.

Without being able to prove it, I'm comfortable saying the majority of Iowa fans didn't like the incidents you mentioned. Especially the shit Metcalf pulled.

. . . Especially the shit Metcalf pulled.
Metcalf was old school. Go celebrate as you wish in the back, but don’t clown it up on the mat before the parting handshake. I was pulling for Caldwell to win that match, but also loved Metcalf’s response to the flippy-flips.

In hindsight, times were changing, and the concept of sportsmanship was morphing
into something I did not recognize. And I wasn’t even an old man. By today’s standards, the backflip was benign . . . not so much at the time it happened, though.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
Metcalf was old school. Go celebrate as you wish in the back, but don’t clown it up on the mat before the parting handshake. I was pulling for Caldwell to win that match, but also loved Metcalf’s response to the flippy-flips.

In hindsight, times were changing, and the concept of sportsmanship was morphing
into something I did not recognize. And I wasn’t even an old man. By today’s standards, the backflip was benign . . . not so much at the time it happened, though.
Especially with time on the clock.

What your examples fail to explain is that the Iowa fanbase for wrestling is probably 3X-5X larger than any other fanbase in the country.

Without being able to prove it, I'm comfortable saying the majority of Iowa fans didn't like the incidents you mentioned. Especially the shit Metcalf pulled.
There’s a reason we get this from almost everyone and they don’t do it much to each other. The crowd at carver loves it when our guys do it and boo when others do. It’s complete hindsight to call out gilman. He was loved until he was a NLWC guy. It would be the same thing if desanto went there. We would go from praising him for intensity to calling him a punk too. Embrace the hate. We are darth Vader and we want the smoke. We’re not choir boys for crying out loud if you can’t take it don’t give it. But to call out ISU for it is chicken crap. Take the W enjoy the hate and go hawks

Reactions: HawkeyePA
There’s a reason we get this from almost everyone and they don’t do it much to each other. The crowd at carver loves it when our guys do it and boo when others do. It’s complete hindsight to call out gilman. He was loved until he was a NLWC guy. It would be the same thing if desanto went there. We would go from praising him for intensity to calling him a punk too. Embrace the hate. We are darth Vader and we want the smoke. We’re not choir boys for crying out loud if you can’t take it don’t give it. But to call out ISU for it is chicken crap. Take the W enjoy the hate and go hawks
I had no problem with Swid after match. Really don’t like the Cuban. Never really liked Gilman, really don’t like perry. Woods is cocky, better back it up. It is entertaining and sells tickets/viewers. Also, let’s talk Metcalf. Time on the clock- fair game. Never had a problem with his.

For whatever it is worth.....he JUST turned 18. Most elite level kids are sitting back a year as well. Hell Chittum was 18 in his SOPHMORE year. MJ Gaitlan is in the same boat (turned 18 this summer/spring). I know, I know, 1 year in age should not make a difference....but when you are watching kids graduate HS at 20, hell even 19... the differences in physical maturity is apparent as a general rule

I can see problems with the ISU lineup going forward, similar to that shitshow they had with Parker/Degen a few years ago.

Swid looks huge for 141 and Johnson is too short for 157. When Swid outgrows 141, Paniro will be a man without a weight class. Gaitin really, really needs to add muscle and either wait for Carr to leave, or cut to 157.

That's just my uneducated view. But Dresser has proven to have problems getting guys at the right weight in the past.

Maybe he retires in a year and Metcalf inherits the issue?

Meanwhile, Iowa continues as Big Bro.

I just enjoy these discussions. Will be interesting to see how Casey does going forward. Like most, I think the kid's a stud and could very well make the podium. That said, come March, just like Spencer Lee (who clearly is in a class of his own), we'll see a different Real Woods than we saw in his first match back.

I see 141 and 197 as the most wide open at this point. I don't see anyone that has really separated themselves from the pack. Nick Lee and Eireman have owned this weight the last couple years and Yanni before that. There has been a clear leader(s) of the group for the past several years. Now we have a wide open group. Matthews, Woods, Alirez, Filius, Jack, Hardy, Bartlett, Swid, Alverez, Bergland. This is so wide open at this point. I think once we get into the big 10 dual season and the conference tournaments we will see someone step up and be the man at this weight. But at this point I am not ready to go to Vegas with anyone. I know I am cheering for Hardy as he is a almost local kid and Swid as I love his let it fly attitude.

I can see problems with the ISU lineup going forward, similar to that shitshow they had with Parker/Degen a few years ago.

Swid looks huge for 141 and Johnson is too short for 157. When Swid outgrows 141, Paniro will be a man without a weight class. Gaitin really, really needs to add muscle and either wait for Carr to leave, or cut to 157.

That's just my uneducated view. But Dresser has proven to have problems getting guys at the right weight in the past.

Maybe he retires in a year and Metcalf inherits the issue?

Meanwhile, Iowa continues as Big Bro.
I wouldn't be so sure that Paniro is the odd man out. He has beaten Gomez and Murin...

Agreed

I wouldn't be so sure that Paniro is the odd man out. He has beaten Gomez and Murin...
Swid is the golden boy for ISU. He's going to be allowed to pick his weight, like Ian Parker was.

And Paniro's success is at 149. He's built like Bono, but I just don’t see him successful at 157, imo.

Look how ISU screwed Degen to see the potential problem here.

The next couple years are critical for ISU if they think they can sneak into the top ten at Nattys.

You saw a giant chip grow even bigger? Really, he did't like losing? Ya think???

Woods 1st match of season, controlled the match, set the pace, chased him, rode him out! May have gotten a little tired in 3rd, which will not be the case down the rode!

Not taken anything away from their kid, but I'll take Woods all day if you want to put some $$$ down let me know?
I’m not betting money against a Hawkeye.
But, I’ve seen freshmen phenoms before and this kid reminds me of a freshman Griffith, O tool, Yianni, Lee, Starocci.
I didn’t say he didn’t like losing, I’m saying he hated it. Saw a bit of young Terry or Tom Brands in the way he left the mat. Kid has a fire in him.
I’m rooting for Real every time, but dang that Swerderski kid is special and to beat him again would be special.

No money bets. But, if Real does lose in the rematch, you have to post a thread with a heartfelt apology to me and confess your unforgivable shortcomings of being a wrestling fan. And if Real wins, I do the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT