ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee preparing to add 10% 'talent fee' to ticket prices to raise money to give its players

It's an arms race, so whatever the big boys do, anyone that wants to keep up will have to follow a similar path.
I understand, but at some point its time as fans to say, F NO. Look at what happened with T A&M. That shows that throwing out all the $$$ doesn't mean your going to win more. I feel the same way about this as the deal with the Chiefs trying to hold up the Jackson county tax payers to replace or rebuild Arrowhead. Sorry, but HELL NO! If they can afford to pay just three players on their 53 man roster 110 MILLION $ a year, then they have the financial ability to pay to keep their house in order, and not go to taxpayers, many of whom can't even afford the cost of "the game experience". This is going right down the same road. Take in 80-90 million $ a year in just TV revenue, and then ask the fans to pay for the courts 22% of revenue to the players. Absolute nonsense. If it comes to that, I'll be fine watching Iowa play teams outside the top 12-15 teams that want to go down that rabbit hole, knowing full well that most of them aren't going to win shit either.

You'd think, but somehow people just keep on paying. Like with all the prices going to the moon the last few years. You'd think there would be a ceiling, but people keep paying.

From the story:

Up to $22M in revenue sharing is expected to come next year (it still has to be approved by a federal judge) and this is one way Tennessee fans will help pay for it.

Tennessee hopes to recoup about $10M through the surcharge, which will come in addition to a football ticket price increase averaging 4.5 percent across all seats.

So, a $100 ticket last year would cost $115 this year.

I'd pay 10% for talent like ?Iamaleavaela or whatever his name is.

Reactions: pistachio1999
I mean, the pretense of a “student athlete” is over now. Business is business.

Pony up the dough or settle for a vastly inferior product. That’s the dilemma all schools face.
But don't the players still go to school? Don't they still have to meet academic requirements to remain eligible, at least in the Big Ten? If so, they are definitely still "student athletes." It's just that with the vast amounts of money college football is generating, the athletes must receive a fair share of it, since they're the ones creating it.

I don't know that the academic side of things has changed one bit. Anyone have any info in that regard?

Reactions: amahawk
No, it's a terrible idea.

The whole NIL is a terrible idea.
The NIL thing isn't the problem. The problem, as others have noted in this thread and on and off since this all happened, is the lack of control, the lack of enforceable rules so that every team is on a level playing field. That's where the NCAA failed most miserably. Had the pay for play system been introduced years ago and done so with fair guidelines, all would be fine today. Instead, it's a mess. But don't blame the college players. They are the ones generating all this money. Obviously they should be getting their fair share.

Need salary caps and more parity. We will get there.

In the NFL there is no cap on deals that Mahomes can do on his own, right?

Need salary caps and more parity. We will get there.

In the NFL there is no cap on deals that Mahomes can do on his own, right?
I don’t see a cap happening. Who is negotiating for the athletes?

I think any artificial limits imposed lose in the courts but I guess we might find out.

I don’t see how the ncaa can say how much an athlete can earn doing commercials or endorsements. No league does that.

But don't the players still go to school? Don't they still have to meet academic requirements to remain eligible, at least in the Big Ten?
abc637228103927b9184f9d6b8638e7e_w200.gif

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT