ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Athletes Publish List of Demands

So Clemson already re-named to buildings on their campus. Other schools will follow

Probably the one that will cause the biggest issue is changing the school song.

They are smoking something asking for funds donated to BLM but everything else is reasonable. Of course scholarships are contracts so the school could just threaten to pull schollies. A bet they could replace every athlete making demands w/o batting an eye

Yeah, I’m sure they will attract any top athletes in the future if they pull the scholarship of every black athlete. That is also sure to attract a lot of great national publicity! Do you charge a consulting fee for such great advice or you just give it away for free?

Also pretty sure there are laws that would prohibit University funds being donated. It would have to be coaches/private donors and be under IRS limits. Also would likely turn off many applicants but Austin is a liberal cesspool anyhoos so who knows

They are smoking something asking for funds donated to BLM but everything else is reasonable. Of course scholarships are contracts so the school could just threaten to pull schollies. A bet they could replace every athlete making demands w/o batting an eye
No white artist allowed? Seems racist to me....

Reactions: B1G and MVPFAN
Also pretty sure there are laws that would prohibit University funds being donated. It would have to be coaches/private donors and be under IRS limits. Also would likely turn off many applicants but Austin is a liberal cesspool anyhoos so who knows
That's what I thought....not that I'm an expert in the finances of college athletics lol.

I always liked the Mitch Miller version better - “I’ve been working on the railroad” much better. Even teased T-sips I know by singing “The Eyes of Texas are working on the Railroad”.

Yeah, I’m sure they will attract any top athletes in the future if they pull the scholarship of every black athlete. That is also sure to attract a lot of great national publicity! Do you charge a consulting fee for such great advice or you just give it away for free?
Maybe they should just let the inmates run the asylum? I mean at what point is enough? How do you keep donors who give millions to the program if you start taking their names off the buildings because their just rich white people? How about they take Kinnicks name off the stadium in favor of Malcum X field at the Martin Luther King stadium? Where's the tipping point? Do you actually think its OK to start appeasing these type of demands, because once you start caving in to such demands, someone will surely push the envelope to see just how far you're going to bend over.......

Maybe they should just let the inmates run the asylum? I mean at what point is enough? How do you keep donors who give millions to the program if you start taking their names off the buildings because their just rich white people? How about they take Kinnicks name off the stadium in favor of Malcum X field at the Martin Luther King stadium? Where's the tipping point? Do you actually think its OK to start appeasing these type of demands, because once you start caving in to such demands, someone will surely push the envelope to see just how far you're going to bend over.......
I'd have figured someone from Missouri (a boarder state) could answer that on their own? :)

Last edited:
Malcum x lol

I'd have figured some from Missouri (a boarder state) could answer that on their own? :)
Born and bred a Hawk though here in Misery now. Wasn't but a few years ago that Mizzou went through something similar, and they let the mob come in and run a bunch of folks out as well. While I totally understand the need for change and to evolve, at some point the institution itself must uphold their own standards, so NO we are not changing the names of buildings or dishonoring those alums who have been generous in giving back for the greater good, and yes that includes people of all races.

Born and bred a Hawk though here in Misery now. Wasn't but a few years ago that Mizzou went through something similar, and they let the mob come in and run a bunch of folks out as well. While I totally understand the need for change and to evolve, at some point the institution itself must uphold their own standards, so NO we are not changing the names of buildings or dishonoring those alums who have been generous in giving back for the greater good, and yes that includes people of all races.
I do realize how sensitive this issue is...and, passions run deep.

I didn’t look into it but apparently you did so I’ll trust you on this. The names that are being requested for removal are rich, white donors?

I never said that they needed to meet every demand being made. I’m simply saying that pulling the scholarship of every black player is such a dumb idea, no university personnel with any brains would ever consider it unless they wanted to not be able to recruit any good black athletes (and any athletes of any race who realized how dumb it was) in the future.

For your other post on stripping the names if rich white donors, where was that demanded? I didn’t know confederate generals were recent donors.

Finally, on where does it end, that is up to each school and player. Poor black kids don’t have a lot of pull in society. This is one area where young black men can have a lot of leverage. There are 65 P5 programs. If the top HS kids say we are only going to schools that do xyz, the schools either need to adapt or fall behind athletically. If you told me Iowa was going to win a national title and some B1G titles but need to add MLK field to Kinnick, let me head over to the stadium to start painting the name on the field. I want to win.

I do think this will finally lead to college football creating its own organization that pays the athletes. When they see the power they have to disrupt the status quo, they will recognize the power they have to demand pay.

Reactions: naturalmwa
I never said that they needed to meet every demand being made. I’m simply saying that pulling the scholarship of every black player is such a dumb idea, no university personnel with any brains would ever consider it unless they wanted to not be able to recruit any good black athletes (and any athletes of any race who realized how dumb it was) in the future.

For your other post on stripping the names if rich white donors, where was that demanded? I didn’t know confederate generals were recent donors.

Finally, on where does it end, that is up to each school and player. Poor black kids don’t have a lot of pull in society. This is one area where young black men can have a lot of leverage. There are 65 P5 programs. If the top HS kids say we are only going to schools that do xyz, the schools either need to adapt or fall behind athletically. If you told me Iowa was going to win a national title and some B1G titles but need to add MLK field to Kinnick, let me head over to the stadium to start painting the name on the field. I want to win.

Still don't know where you getting this idea that it's every black athlete at UT. From the Twitter feed it's only a handful of football players and a soccer player. And we have no idea what race these athletes are. Most of them could be white for all we know. I think you wrongly assume by thier demands that all are black and you're way off base thinking it's every black athlete.

I do think this will finally lead to college football creating its own organization that pays the athletes. When they see the power they have to disrupt the status quo, they will recognize the power they have to demand pay.

I'm not sure a separate organization would be profitable. It would essentially be minor league football, like the XFL. A full scholarship plus room and board might be more valuable than what they would make in a separate organization.

Still don't know where you getting this idea that it's every black athlete at UT. From the Twitter feed it's only a handful of football players and a soccer player. And we have no idea what race these athletes are. Most of them could be white for all we know. I think you wrongly assume by thier demands that all are black and you're way off base thinking it's every black athlete.

You are correct that it is not every black athlete and there are white athletes supporting it. The statement mentioned collectively the football team, so I assume most football members are on board.

My original point still stands though. Let’s say 60 of the football players are on board. If you pull their scholarships, what do you think the reaction would be from recruits, the remaining players, the media, etc. Do you think fans would prefer to go 2-10 every year to keep the name of some confederate general on a school building?

eye-roll-homepage-gif.gif.cf.gif

Why are you implying student athletes are mentally ill? And why are you implying that mentally ill people and student athletes are both incapable of running their own lives?
because I am implying there are people who run these places, leaders. they are absent in Austin and seattle and iowa city. because that.

because I am implying there are people who run these places, leaders. they are absent in Austin and seattle and iowa city. because that.
What you are saying is authoritarian, at best. At worst, given that they are only asking to stop venerating dead racists, and you are implying a leader should stifle that, what you are saying could be read as racist.

What you are saying is authoritarian, at best. At worst, given that they are only asking to stop venerating dead racists, and you are implying a leader should stifle that, what you are saying could be read as racist.
And fund domestic terrorist organizations...

Ever watch the movie "The Express"? No? It'll just give you another reason to add to the already long list of reasons to hate Texas
Except like most sports movies "The Express" was largely fiction. Do you really think that Syracuse took a bus from upstate New York to Dallas to play in the Cotton Bowl. And I wish that West Virginia would have sued them over that nonsense.

If you want a true, but sad story about Ernie Davis here you go:
Davis, the first black Heisman winner, Head Coach Ben Schwartzwaelder and another black Syracuse player, John Brown (I think) met with President Kennedy in the White House for coffee and doughnuts one morning. On their way back to Syracuse they stopped in Philadelphia for lunch at a diner. The owner of the diner told them that he didn't serve blacks. Schwartzwaelder told him, "This is Ernie Davis, he won the Heisman. We had coffee with President Kennedy this morning." The diner owner told them, "Good for you. Why don't you go back to Washington and have lunch with Kennedy, because you aren't eating here."

BTW, "Remember the Titans" was a great move, but it also was about 80% fiction.

Reactions: naturalmwa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT