ADVERTISEMENT

The 2 and Sit With Luka

bansheexyz

HR All-State
Sep 24, 2017
Do we win this game if we throw caution to the wind and just let Garza play as many minutes as he can regardless of foul count? He seems to recognize his own foul count pretty well and his replacements are nowhere near as good. Just maximize his minutes and never pull him. If he fouls out, so be it, Nunge can fill in the rest of the way. I'm just tired of seeing him sit due to the "risk" of not having him late. Are points late in games worth more than points in the first half? I don't get the logic.

Do we win this game if we throw caution to the wind and just let Garza play as many minutes as he can regardless of foul count? He seems to recognize his own foul count pretty well and his replacements are nowhere near as good. Just maximize his minutes and never pull him. If he fouls out, so be it, Nunge can fill in the rest of the way. I'm just tired of seeing him sit due to the "risk" of not having him late. Are points late in games worth more than points in the first half? I don't get the logic.

Not only that, but he isn't key to end of half/end of game situations. That's a guard's game in those situations. Iowa just doesn't have shooters who can create their own shots. They have guards who can create, but those guys can't shoot from outside. Well, maybe Ulis could, but we don't know enough about him to know if he is a good shooter. We know he can create, though.

I like the rule in theory, but there are exceptions to every rule. I’d be more than okay with Luka returning with two fouls in the first half. Especially if he picks up number 2 around the 10:00 mark. Luka and a couple of others (Weiskamp-JBo) can be trusted not to pick up their third.

Reactions: WSC72
Dumb rule. Especially with your superstar. Sit him for a while but bring him back in with maybe 6 min left.

Dare the refs to foul out the NPOY. People would be shocked at how few of games that the officials would foul out Garza if we kept playing him despite Fran’s rule.

He may have lots of games where he ends up with 4 fouls but very few that the refs would have the guts to call that 5th on him.

Last edited:
I like the rule in theory, but there are exceptions to every rule. I’d be more than okay with Luka returning with two fouls in the first half. Especially if he picks up number 2 around the 10:00 mark. Luka and a couple of others (Weiskamp-JBo) can be trusted not to pick up their third.
And so what if he did pick up a third. He didn’t foul the whole second half. That’s what is so stupid. You are exchanging the remote risk of losing significant time if he fouls out for the guaranteed loss of minutes by sitting him.

What would be the response had Fran kept him in for some the remaining 12 minutes, and he picks up his 3rd foul? Coaches are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. A perimeter player can "hide" on defense and avoid fouls a lot easier than a post player can.

Also, I have no doubt that Fran’s foul rules for both halves hurts our defense. Players are scared to play aggressive on defense cuz they know for sure, 100%, that they’ll have to sit.

If you want to stay in the game, you have to back off & let your guy score layups instead of risking the foul called on you.

Last edited:
Also, I have no doubt that Fran’s foul rules for both halves hurts our defense. Players are scared to play aggressive on defense cuz they know for sure, 100%, that they’ll have to sit.

mid you want to stay in the game, you have to back off & let your guy score layups instead of risking the foul called on you.

That's a really good point.

Garza’s not real good defensively. You leave him in there with 2 and Indiana would have went at him relentlessly. Easy baskets for them or he picks up His 3rd. Then he’s sitting even longer.

Personally, I’d have pulled him with 2 fouls and then watched the rest of the half. I’d probably sit him for at least 5 min to lower the chances of a BS touch foul. He went out around 12:30 in the first half. When he went out, Iowa was up 10. At 7:30 in the first half, Iowa was up 7, maybe I roll the dice a little longer. At 5:00, Iowa was still up 8. At 3:49, IU hit a 3 and pulled within 6. That’s when I would have put Luka back in (if he wasn’t already in). At that point, Iowa had scored 4 points in 7 minutes. Get Luka in and work inside-out for the last few minutes of the half.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Shouldn't have mattered,.. Against Indiana, if Jack and Patrick would have had their normal games we should have been able to close out the first half in OK shape minus Garza...

We opened the 2nd half 14-0 and then crapped our pants. Garza sitting in the first half did not affect that

I might posit that you do throw caution to the wind when you voluntarily restrict the POY‘s Minutes...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT