ADVERTISEMENT

The Cavalry is Not On Its Way: ZERO WR Recruits Coming In Next Year?

Mota is a WR recruit.
No, he's an "Athlete".

As for how he projects at Iowa, that remains to be seen. His commitment graphic indicates wide receiver, which is certainly a possibility, but he was reportedly grouped with defensive backs on his most recent visit to Iowa City and clearly projects well as a safety prospect for Phil Parker. Versatility is an asset and Mota certainly brings that.

So again, we are WAY behind the 8 ball on WR/Slot. Our putrid 5yrs of offense are piling up and taking their toll.

No, he's an "Athlete".

As for how he projects at Iowa, that remains to be seen. His commitment graphic indicates wide receiver, which is certainly a possibility, but he was reportedly grouped with defensive backs on his most recent visit to Iowa City and clearly projects well as a safety prospect for Phil Parker. Versatility is an asset and Mota certainly brings that.

So again, we are WAY behind the 8 ball on WR/Slot. Our putrid 5yrs of offense are piling up and taking their toll.
Just because recruiting services list as an athlete doesn't change the fact from day one when he steps foot on campus he is a WR. He was recruited by schools as both DB and WR however as he stated in interviews, such as one with this very site, after he committed he did so because Iowa is going to let him play WR. Just like Noah Fant who some schools projected as DE like Nebraska others like Iowa recruited him as a TE. He's a guy yes can play both and maybe they could years later switch him back because as Mota stated when he got his first offer it was as a DB and when he first visited last winter he was with DB recruits. But again from this site's interview he's starting off at WR and being able to play that position and his relationship with Copeland one of the things that sealed the deal with his commitment. Iowa deserves its criticism in recruiting for lack of skill players but OP is skewing the facts by ignoring that he will be a WR as a freshman when he arrives at Iowa.

The Hawkeyes initially offered at defensive back, but recently had wide receivers coach Kelton Copeland get in touch with Mota to let him know they would be happy to have him on offense as well.

"I was talking to the receivers coach and he seems like a great coach and a great person, so I think our connection can be really good and that's what kind of pushed it too," Mota said. "Then my degree will probably be in business and they have a really good business school there."

Reactions: Birky
But not as a receiver. Says Mota never played receiver in HS. Who cares? He is one of the most naturally gifted runners to come to Iowa in a while. He'll be great wherever he plays, and I hope it's at receiver. I'm just worried that the defense will get yet another gifted athlete over the offense.
And yet when some posters suggested using Nwankpa at wide receiver, they were laughed at. Impossible. Can't be done we were told. It definitely is tough to run down the field and catch a Petras pass, but maybe not quite as difficult as some would have us believe, should the pass actually be within catchable range.

But the bottom line is beyond debate: no accomplished wide receiver would be attracted to the nation's next-to-worst offense and its ancient "passing attack" led by an incompetent QB.

And yet when some posters suggested using Nwankpa at wide receiver, they were laughed at. Impossible. Can't be done we were told. It definitely is tough to run down the field and catch a Petras pass, but maybe not quite as difficult as some would have us believe, should the pass actually be within catchable range.

But the bottom line is beyond debate: no accomplished wide receiver would be attracted to the nation's next-to-worst offense and its ancient "passing attack" led by an incompetent QB.
Not one person said that. What was said, is that it would be pretty hard to have a guy switch from defense to offense in the middle of the season. I know that doesn't fit your usual narrative though.

I mean even Keegan wasn't a elite get for Iowa. The kid had 8 offers as a 4*. Don't think schools like Bama and other title contenders were kicking themselves for losing out on that one.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
The responses to the OP, which makes one of the simplest, easiest to comprehend points imaginable, are laughable. Are Hawk fans really this dense?

Let me use even shorter words so even the illiterates can understand:

1. Iowa's receivers bad this year.
2. Iowa has not many receivers on its roster this year.
3. Iowa needs to add lots of receivers next year to improve very bad situation.
4. Iowa doing bad job recruiting lots of receivers to improve very bad situation next year.
5. The only recruit so far who might play receiver next year has less than 10 receptions in his hs career.
6. When team needs many good receivers to improve, smart coaches recruit many good receivers.

Is that simple enough? Or will there be more geniuses who respond with...but, but, 17 yr old Mota, who plays on a struggling 2-4 small school team, says he can play receiver at Iowa so end of story. WR issue solved.

Saban recruits to win. Kirk recruits to make sure their personalities align with his dictatorship way of running a program.
I know right, I've never heard of players having issues with Saban's style of coaching. He is the best friend to all of this players.

The responses to the OP, which makes one of the simplest, easiest to comprehend points imaginable, are laughable. Are Hawk fans really this dense?

Let me use even shorter words so even the illiterates can understand:

1. Iowa's receivers bad this year.
2. Iowa has not many receivers on its roster this year.
3. Iowa needs to add lots of receivers next year to improve very bad situation.
4. Iowa doing bad job recruiting lots of receivers to improve very bad situation next year.
5. The only recruit so far who might play receiver next year has less than 10 receptions in his hs career.
6. When team needs many good receivers to improve, smart coaches recruit many good receivers.

Is that simple enough? Or will there be more geniuses who respond with...but, but, 17 yr old Mota, who plays on a struggling 2-4 small school team, says he can play receiver at Iowa so end of story. WR issue solved.
In all honesty, the short hand version of this is much better than your regular posts.

"We have no recruits"

"BULLSHIT!! WE HAVE A GUY!!!"

(RATIONALE PEOPLE LOOKING AROUND KNOWING 1 GUY ISNT GOING TO CHANGE A DAMN THING)
Bullshit ! Add Mota and probably another WR recruit this year to Arland Bruce, Keagon Johnson, Brody Brecht, Jacob Bostick, Diante Vines, Jack Johnson and Alex Wick and you have an excellent group to work with. Or aren't you RATIONAL enough to grasp it ?

Bullshit ! Add Mota and probably another WR recruit this year to Arland Bruce, Keagon Johnson, Brody Brecht, Jacob Bostick, Diante Vines, Jack Johnson and Alex Wick and you have an excellent group to work with. Or aren't you RATIONAL enough to grasp it ?
where is the guarantee that bruce johnson or brecht are here next year or the year after?
Seems pretty unlikely....

Reactions: littlez
I think we are all going to feel better about the wide receiver position when guys get back healthy after the bye week. We still need to recruit more WR's and maybe better WR's but some guys are getting back healthy. It will make a difference.

Reactions: kceasthawk
If you can’t argue rationally, then it’s probably time to sit this one out.

You guarantee anything, so I guess nothing matters?
What are you talking about? He’s absolutely right. Brecht has proven nothing, his main sport is baseball. Keegan showed some potential last year but that is it. And now he’s missed almost half the season this year. We know nothing about what happens with him next year. Ragaini gone after this year. Bruce will maybe be our leading returning wideout with 15 catches (maybe) next year? Most might be a really good athlete but he’s never been a full time wide receiver. This is a shitshow. No way around it. Plus we will have a QB that has never thrown a pass next year.

If you can’t argue rationally, then it’s probably time to sit this one out.

You guarantee anything, so I guess nothing matters?
whats irrational?
thinking brecht might leave to focus on what is most likely to make him financially set for life?
or that bruce or kj could decide leaving this horrible offense is best for their future?

if you find those irrational, you should probably sit out any topics on our offense.

I can't guarantee that anyone will be here, why do you think it is unlikely that they won't be here ?
if brecht can get his control dialed in I don't think it's a stretch to think he'd leave college.

if you're bruce or kj (especially considering these are not "born hawks") are you really not watching this horrible offense, along with the success of jones and then thinking it might be best for your future if you move on?

its certainly not likely ALL leave, but we can't even afford to lose 1 currently

You don’t think Bruce being a Kansas kid isn’t paying attention to KU and their offense and QB? He could be dynamite in that offense. He catches 1 pass a game for us.

Brecht isn’t going anywhere with playing baseball at Iowa too. If anything would be for mlb draft in 2 years.
Even if he’s not FB is is 2nd sport. He’s proven nothing as a receiver. We need full time receivers.

Even if he’s not FB is is 2nd sport. He’s proven nothing as a receiver. We need full time receivers.
Do to hamstring injury he’s only basically played 3 games as a freshman. Kind of tough to “prove” yourself with that sample size. But he’s a big body wr something Iowa lacks. Give the kid a little time before you write him off.

IIowa lacks both skill and depth at the WR position. Period. Hell, Iowa is the only power 5 team that has freshmen walk-ons routinely taking snaps at WR (and tripping over their own feet when targeted). In many weeks, Iowa travels with just 2 or 3 scholarship WRs. So at the very least, you would think the staff would aggressively look to correct the situation. To start, they would be loading up the recruiting class with WRs who can come in next year and immediately have an impact (esp with Ragaini graduating after this year), right? WRONG.

Although the Hawks already have a big class of 16 commits for next year, ZERO scholarships have been allocated to WRs who can help plug a major hole. It's like Ferentz is living in the twilight zone. There is one small town Iowa recruit listed as an "athlete" that could transition to WR, Alex Mota. Of course, he's never played WR and is an undersized (170 lb) running back/LB for a team that just got destroyed by powerhouse Waverly Shell Rock 42-7. Not exactly the type of star recruit who is going to come in and immediately improve the WR position at a Big 10 school.

So what exactly is the staff doing to improve the situation? No doubt, top WR prospects aren't jumping at the chance to play for offensive guru Brian Ferentz and see 2 targets per game. But surely the Hawks can sell instant playing time and zero competition at the position to Chicago/Kansas City/Florida area kids.

A quick look at what some of Iowa's peers are doing in recruiting shows that the staff has been caught flat footed. Minnesota, for example, has 4 WRs and an athlete committed to next year's class...they hail from South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Chicago, and Michigan. You know, the places skill position players generally come from. Not small town Iowa. Wisconsin has WRs coming in from Las Vegas and Cleveland. We won't even bring up with the schools in the Big 10 east have coming in, as it's depressing.

So what exactly is Kelton Copeland being paid for this year? To coach up Alex Wick, who came to Iowa on his own dime? To teach WRs how to block? He's certainly not tearing things up on the recruiting trail.
I hate your pessimism. But I have to agree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT