ADVERTISEMENT

The Cavalry is Not On Its Way: ZERO WR Recruits Coming In Next Year?

Didn't we just get 2 quality commits?
I'm not trying to bag on our guys, I hope they get here and blow up. One is a mid/low 3 star and the other doesn't have a rating. Couple that with our inability to coach up talent, and you see the concerns. We have proven we don't know how to turn projects into products at WR.

Reactions: WaterTower
Arland Bruce and Keagan Johnson strike me as guys who will be leaders for the Hawkeyes for the next several years. I don't know what they are thinking, but I believe they both will play big roles in rejuvenating the offense throughout their careers.
Prepare to be disappointed. Doubtful either sticks around til next year.

Then lets hope isaac teslaa commits. He would be a good one and with experience and success

Current WR Room

Keagan Johnson 4*, Arlan Bruce IV 4*, Brody Brecht and Diante Vines are both highest tier 3*s. None have given any indication of transferring.

These kids are perhaps more loyal and less panicky on the roster than the message boards.

Reactions: millhawk
Current WR Room

Keagan Johnson 4*, Arlan Bruce IV 4*, Brody Brecht and Diante Vines are both highest tier 3*s. None have given any indication of transferring.

These kids are perhaps more loyal and less panicky on the roster than the message boards.
I have a really strong feeling Isaac Teslaa is coming soon.

IIowa lacks both skill and depth at the WR position. Period. Hell, Iowa is the only power 5 team that has freshmen walk-ons routinely taking snaps at WR (and tripping over their own feet when targeted). In many weeks, Iowa travels with just 2 or 3 scholarship WRs. So at the very least, you would think the staff would aggressively look to correct the situation. To start, they would be loading up the recruiting class with WRs who can come in next year and immediately have an impact (esp with Ragaini graduating after this year), right? WRONG.

Although the Hawks already have a big class of 16 commits for next year, ZERO scholarships have been allocated to WRs who can help plug a major hole. It's like Ferentz is living in the twilight zone. There is one small town Iowa recruit listed as an "athlete" that could transition to WR, Alex Mota. Of course, he's never played WR and is an undersized (170 lb) running back/LB for a team that just got destroyed by powerhouse Waverly Shell Rock 42-7. Not exactly the type of star recruit who is going to come in and immediately improve the WR position at a Big 10 school.

So what exactly is the staff doing to improve the situation? No doubt, top WR prospects aren't jumping at the chance to play for offensive guru Brian Ferentz and see 2 targets per game. But surely the Hawks can sell instant playing time and zero competition at the position to Chicago/Kansas City/Florida area kids.

A quick look at what some of Iowa's peers are doing in recruiting shows that the staff has been caught flat footed. Minnesota, for example, has 4 WRs and an athlete committed to next year's class...they hail from South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Chicago, and Michigan. You know, the places skill position players generally come from. Not small town Iowa. Wisconsin has WRs coming in from Las Vegas and Cleveland. We won't even bring up with the schools in the Big 10 east have coming in, as it's depressing.

So what exactly is Kelton Copeland being paid for this year? To coach up Alex Wick, who came to Iowa on his own dime? To teach WRs how to block? He's certainly not tearing things up on the recruiting trail.
What about Dayton Howard?

I mean of course we’re going to sign some receivers. It’s a question of whether of any of them can play. Or if we have a QB that can get them the ball.

What about Dayton Howard?
That is the not rated guy I mentioned. Big frame. Can't complain about a guy like that's potential but not likely polished enough would be my guess.

What the hell do I know though, kid might be a vicious down field blocker and play every snap for 4 years.

It sounds like Mota will be a WR, that could be the other guy.
I saw him say that was his position somewhere when he signed. That's another top tier 3* WR recruit (5.7, highest level of 3*) in the upcoming class. That is not a bad room.

It's hard to get consistency out of your receivers when a team gets down to one schollie WR.

Last edited:
Howard, Buie, and possibly Teslaa who is proven. Thats 2 commots and a third thats a highly probable. I really believe we get a qb in the portal and have a decent offense next year.

Howard, Buie, and possibly Teslaa who is proven. Thats 2 commots and a third thats a highly probable. I really believe we get a qb in the portal and have a decent offense next year.

Not sure why everyone is willing to sell both Joe and Carson. Really none of us have seen either play much. We aren't in desperate need of a QB. There are reasons, although not necessarily good ones, that Joe didn't play this season. Major coaching error. One or both of those guys is going to be good.

Brad Banks, Nate Chandler, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, James Vanderburg, Jake Rudock, CJ Beathard and Nate Stanley all say these three years of bad QB play is an anomaly and has reached an end. The odds favor the emergence of a good QB.

Yikes. If anyone was wondering just how bad WR recruiting is going this year and how important having talented WRs is to a team, look no further than what comparable Big 10 schools have been able to accomplish in WR recruiting this past month (we won't even get into what Michigan, Penn State, or Ohio State have done):

Wisconsin - despite a brand new staff, they have already signed FOUR Power 5 WRs out of the portal, from schools like USC, Oklahoma State, and Cincinnati. They also signed a 4**** WR out of high school, who picked them over Oregon.

Nebraska - they have a brand new coach, yet have already signed TWO Power 5 WRs out of the portal, from Baylor and Virginia. They also signed four stud WRs out of high school, including a 4**** who picked them over Georgia, Michigan, USC, etc.

Michigan State - they had an awful year last year but have already signed THREE WRs out of the portal, including from Wisconsin and Boise State. They also beat out most of the PAC 12 for a high school WR recruit.

Minnesota - landed TWO WRs out of the portal, including a 4 star and a kid from Boise State. They also signed FIVE 3*** WRs out of high school.

Iowa had a better season than all of the above and kept their head coach. Shouldn't the program be reaping the benefits in recruiting? You would think. Instead, the Hawks lost their top two WRs on the roster then went out and failed to upgrade at WR through the portal.

Less quality WRs is a recipe for an even worse offense than this year's 130th ranked offense. The Hawks have no one to blame but Kirk for not making a change at offensive coordinator & WR coach sooner. Instead, the Hawks have just 1 WR from the portal, a 0 star out of a D2 school, and a group of low rated high schoolers with few, if any, other options.

Last edited:
Yikes. If anyone was wondering just how bad WR recruiting is going this year and how important having talented WRs is to a team, look no further than what comparable Big 10 schools have been able to accomplish in WR recruiting this past month (we won't even get into what Michigan, Penn State, or Ohio State have done):

Wisconsin - despite a brand new staff, they have already signed FOUR Power 5 WRs out of the portal, from schools like USC, Oklahoma State, and Cincinnati. They also signed a 4**** WR out of high school, who picked them over Oregon.

Nebraska - they have a brand new coach, yet have already signed TWO Power 5 WRs out of the portal, from Baylor and Virginia. They also signed four stud WRs out of high school, including a 4**** who picked them over Georgia, Michigan, USC, etc.

Michigan State - they had an awful year last year but have already signed THREE WRs out of the portal, including from Wisconsin and Boise State. They also beat out most of the PAC 12 for a high school WR recruit.

Minnesota - landed TWO WRs out of the portal, including a 4 star and a kid from Boise State. They also signed FIVE 3*** WRs out of high school.

Iowa's loss of it's top two WRs and failure to upgrade at WR through the portal is the recipe for an even worse offense than this year. The Hawks have no one to blame but Kirk for not making a change at offensive coordinator & WR coach sooner. Instead, the Hawks have just 1 WR from the portal, a 0 star out of a D2 school, and a group of low rated high schoolers with few, if any, other options.
Yea. After the last two seasons it was going to be tough to recruit wide receivers and we are seeing that now. I didn’t expect us to have this much trouble recruiting oline but that’s been an issue as well.

It's like we don't have any WRs and none coming in. I guess we can line up some 2nd string defensive tackles out there as WRs.

Iowa had better season than all of the above and should be reaping the benefits in recruiting. Yet the Hawks lost their top two WRs and failed to upgrade at WR through the portal. That is the recipe for an even worse offense than this year. The Hawks have no one to blame but Kirk for not making a change at offensive coordinator & WR coach sooner. Instead, the Hawks have just 1 WR from the portal, a 0 star out of a D2 school, and a group of low rated high schoolers with few, if any, other options.
You have a point.

I think the uncertainty of Brian’s future is creating a dark cloud over the Iowa program. It’s not that hard for other schools competing with Iowa for transfers to throw shade at Iowa’s 130th ranked offense and the lack of changes to the staff as not boding well for the future.

If Brian remains at OC in 2023, then I will have no problem saying nepotism is more important at Iowa than doing what’s best for the Iowa program.

You have a point.

I think the uncertainty of Brian’s future is creating a dark cloud over the Iowa program. It’s not that hard for other schools competing with Iowa for transfers to throw shade at Iowa’s 130th ranked offense and the lack of changes to the staff as not boding well for the future.

If Brian remains at OC in 2023, then I will have no problem saying nepotism is more important at Iowa than doing what’s best for the Iowa program.
Why did such a good QB want to come here and one of the best TEs available? Are they stupid?

You have a point.

How about we all just stop pretending and acknowledge that blood is thicker than water.

Reactions: littlez
It's like we don't have any WRs and none coming in. I guess we can line up some 2nd string defensive tackles out there as WRs.
Hey, they wouldn't get benched for not blocking. I think that you are on to something. I bet they will be lining up for tryouts

Why did such a good QB want to come here and one of the best TEs available? Are they stupid?

CadeM might have known TEnd ALL would follow him and the hawks would want ALL. So CadeM will have two really good TEnds to throw to. Watching some of Cade at Mich and some other film he is really good at leading running backs out of the backfield with passes so maybe the hawks talked with Cade about using that type of play more.

Maybe Cade thought the hawks would get a couple of portal WRs but that doesnt seem to be happening. I just hope Brecht, Vines, and a couple of others pan out to be above avg and they run a lot of double TEnd and maybe only two WRs.

Reactions: Bishop1971
CadeM might have known TEnd ALL would follow him and the hawks would want ALL. So CadeM will have two really good TEnds to throw to. Watching some of Cade at Mich and some other film he is really good at leading running backs out of the backfield with passes so maybe the hawks talked with Cade about using that type of play more.

Maybe Cade thought the hawks would get a couple of portal WRs but that doesnt seem to be happening. I just hope Brecht, Vines, and a couple of others pan out to be above avg and they run a lot of double TEnd and maybe only two WRs.
Brecht and Vines will be good WRs.

I think so also and I just watched some tape on Seth Anderson which showed some good moves off the LOS to get open early, looked like good speed, and the best thing was he really can leap and high point a pass and bring it in.

Anyone else with thoughts about Seth?

lol based on what?

Brecht has 9 catches in 2 years at Iowa (for a total of 0 yards after catch) and seems to injure himself almost every week in practice. Who knows if he will even suit up next year if he has a good baseball season.

Vines has been on campus as long as Tory Taylor, yet has shown nothing thus far to get excited about other than being one of the few scholarship WRs on the roster. He picked Iowa over Holy Cross so it would be quite a stretch for him to suddenly become a legit Big 10 WR.

Take a look at the Top 100 WRs in the Big 10 last year. Most were Brecht's age or younger. WRs don't typically see a great improvement through development like OLs do. If Iowa is going to improve at WR, it needs to bring in transfers because development isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
lol based on what?

Brecht has 9 catches in 2 years at Iowa (for a total of 0 yards after catch) and seems to injure himself almost every week in practice. Who knows if he will even suit up next year if he has a good baseball season.

Vines has been on campus as long as Tory Taylor and shown nothing thus far to get excited about other than being one of the few scholarship WRs on the roster last year. He picked Iowa over Holy Cross.

Take a look at the Top 100 WRs in the Big 10 last year. Most were Brecht's age or younger. WRs don't typically see a great improvement through development like OLs do. If Iowa is going to improve at WR, it needs to bring in transfers because development isn't going to happen.
Yea. I think at receiver and running back, it’s just recruiting guys. Iowa didn’t develop Kaleb Johnson, he came in a stud. ISM, Greene, Wadley, Brandon Smith same thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
I think so also and I just watched some tape on Seth Anderson which showed some good moves off the LOS to get open early, looked like good speed, and the best thing was he really can leap and high point a pass and bring it in.

Anyone else with thoughts about Seth?
Seth is a stud. He catches with his hands, high points the ball, and beats guys on 50/50 balls. We haven't had a guy with all of those traits in awhile.

Reactions: uihawk82
Yea. I think at receiver and running back, it’s just recruiting guys. Iowa didn’t develop Kaleb Johnson, he came in a stud. ISM, Greene, Wadley, Brandon Smith same thing.
Would disagree. ISM. Greene, Wadley and Brandon Smith all needed a lot of development when they arrived. It took all of them several years to hit their stride. They all did, with excellent coaching. Go Hawks !

Would disagree. ISM. Greene, Wadley and Brandon Smith all needed a lot of development when they arrived. It took all of them several years to hit their stride. They all did, with excellent coaching. Go Hawks !
Cue the........should have been playing earlier, seniority is the only way at Iowa.......except when its repeatedly proven otherwise.

Greene developed a lot the year before his 2008 breakout right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT