ADVERTISEMENT

The Cavalry is Not On Its Way: ZERO WR Recruits Coming In Next Year?

Jake Christensen looked like Steve Young compared to Spencer Petras. Jake started 14 games, his soph year with no other option and two games before Stanzi took over.
Good Lord, you must have a short memory. I'll never forget JC and his 5 yard darts to guys 8 or 9 yards away. without question his game against PSU was the WORST game I've ever seen by a college QB......

@IowasLaw

paging-mr-herman-pee-wee-herman.gif

IIowa lacks both skill and depth at the WR position. Period. Hell, Iowa is the only power 5 team that has freshmen walk-ons routinely taking snaps at WR (and tripping over their own feet when targeted). In many weeks, Iowa travels with just 2 or 3 scholarship WRs. So at the very least, you would think the staff would aggressively look to correct the situation. To start, they would be loading up the recruiting class with WRs who can come in next year and immediately have an impact (esp with Ragaini graduating after this year), right? WRONG.

Although the Hawks already have a big class of 16 commits for next year, ZERO scholarships have been allocated to WRs who can help plug a major hole. It's like Ferentz is living in the twilight zone. There is one small town Iowa recruit listed as an "athlete" that could transition to WR, Alex Mota. Of course, he's never played WR and is an undersized (170 lb) running back/LB for a team that just got destroyed by powerhouse Waverly Shell Rock 42-7. Not exactly the type of star recruit who is going to come in and immediately improve the WR position at a Big 10 school.

So what exactly is the staff doing to improve the situation? No doubt, top WR prospects aren't jumping at the chance to play for offensive guru Brian Ferentz and see 2 targets per game. But surely the Hawks can sell instant playing time and zero competition at the position to Chicago/Kansas City/Florida area kids.

A quick look at what some of Iowa's peers are doing in recruiting shows that the staff has been caught flat footed. Minnesota, for example, has 4 WRs and an athlete committed to next year's class...they hail from South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Chicago, and Michigan. You know, the places skill position players generally come from. Not small town Iowa. Wisconsin has WRs coming in from Las Vegas and Cleveland. We won't even bring up with the schools in the Big 10 east have coming in, as it's depressing.

So what exactly is Kelton Copeland being paid for this year? To coach up Alex Wick, who came to Iowa on his own dime? To teach WRs how to block? He's certainly not tearing things up on the recruiting trail.

Good Lord, you must have a short memory. I'll never forget JC and his 5 yard darts to guys 8 or 9 yards away. without question his game against PSU was the WORST game I've ever seen by a college QB......
Did you miss my post? Petras had 24 TDs and 24 Ints in 3 starting seasons. Jake was 17/6 in his one starting season. Jake was a weak arm but he could see the open receivers and try to get them the ball. He wasn't a turnover factory like Petras.

This is not a suggestion that Jake was a good QB, only by comparison to Spencer Petras.

Last edited:
Did you miss my post? Petras had 24 TDs and 24 Ints in 3 starting seasons. Jake was 17/6 in his one starting game. Jake was a arm but he could see the open defenders and try to get them the ball. He wasn't a turnover factory like Petras.

This is not a suggestion that Jake was a good QB, only by comparison to Spencer Petras.
He was neither.......

He was neither.......
So you'd take the guy with the 1:1 TD/Int ratio, plus all of Spencer's other problems, over the guy with the nearly 3:1 TD/Int ratio? That really doesn't sound like a plan for winning football.

I think every football coach from HS up would take the kid with the weak arm over the turnover and mistake factory that was the Petras era.

So you'd take the guy with the 1:1 TD/Int ratio, plus all of Spencer's other problems, over the guy with the nearly 3:1 TD/Int ratio? That really doesn't sound like a plan for winning football.

I think every football coach from HS up would take the kid with the weak arm over the turnover and mistake factory that was the Petras era.
I'm saying I couldn't care what the numbers say, the guy was as bad a QB as we've ever had here, and yes his OL sucked about as bad as the one that was here last year as well...

and yet he had these for winning seasons
2020 covid year 6-2
2021 10-4 BT West Champonship
2022 8-5 , 24-11 for a 69.2% winning %'d;

again he did not have X-Box numbers because he didn't need to. only posters on this board would bitch about that as not being good enough, as only 15-0 will make them happy BUT they probably bitch about the scoring and ypg not being enough.

2020 covid year 6-2

again he did not have X-Box numbers because he didn't need to. only posters on this board would bitch about that as not being good enough, as only 15-0 will make them happy BUT they probably bitch about the scoring and ypg not being enough.
Iowa State 10 Iowa 7
Illinois 9 Iowa 6
Nebraska 24 Iowa 17
Enough said.

for someone of limited intelligence I am not surprised by your response. but here is my counter response 1 BT West Championship
55-24 OSU
14-13 Michigan
42-3 ISU
49- 24 USC
What were the scores of the latest games played against OSU, Michigan, and ISU? It ain’t pretty. 🤦‍♂️
We can’t even dream of competing against Michigan and Ohio State offensively at the moment. You are right things have fallen really fast!
Why are you hating on the iowa coaching staff like that? Bringing up how good they used to be.
I think our offense is averaging a little more than a touchdown per game against those teams. Is that good?

Last edited:
for someone of limited intelligence I am not surprised by your response. but here is my counter response 1 BT West Championship
55-24 OSU
14-13 Michigan
42-3 ISU
49- 24 USC
All of those scores were prior to 2020. I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove to him, but I would chill on talking about others’ intelligence. You come across as a real jerk. Is that what you want?

Regardless, the Iowa offense has been pretty lousy the past couple seasons. That doesn’t mean it won’t get turned around, but you’re trying to defend the indefensible. By all objective measures Iowa sucked on offense in 2021 and 2022. The criticism was warranted. It has to change. Do you honestly believe Kirk, Brian, or anyone else on staff were happy with the offensive results the past two seasons? C’mon, man.

What were the scores of the latest games played against OSU, Michigan, and ISU? It ain’t pretty. 🤦‍♂️
We can’t even dream of competing against Michigan and Ohio State offensively at the moment. You are right things have fallen really fast!
Why are you hating on the iowa coaching staff like that? Bringing up how good they used to be.
I think our offense is averaging a little more than a touchdown per game against those teams. Is that good?
I think with the portal players we can now compete. Rewatched a couple games and we had a lot more open receivers being missed than i expected and tunnel vision on the drop off passes.

I think with the portal players we can now compete. Rewatched a couple games and we had a lot more open receivers being missed than i expected and tunnel vision on the drop off passes.
I definitely agree. Things are looking up with all the portal stuff. It just doesn’t change what happened the last couple years and the changes that should have been made.

2020 covid year 6-2

Most of those games were a matter of overcoming Spencer's defects. He had some good games but the wheels could fly off at any moment, and also often did.

I definitely agree. Things are looking up with all the portal stuff. It just doesn’t change what happened the last couple years and the changes that should have been made.
If you rewatch games from last season ... we had a QB who often played "spooked" ... and part of the reason why he played spooked is because he couldn't always trust his OL to protect him.

The nice thing is that the portal players offer a "clean slate."

I think some guys lost faith in Brian and/or Petras ... and that likely led them to abandon-ship from the O. The fact that Coach Copeland apparently had to field phone calls from parents asking about their kids touches ... that doesn't sound like the sort of thing that flies well with Kirk.

Don't get me wrong ... I understand the source of the frustration of the guys. But it's annoying that some guys on the O (particularly those who bailed) took little to no ownership for their contributions for why the O was floundering. It's a team game after all ... and success is predicated upon guys doing their job.

If you rewatch games from last season ... we had a QB who often played "spooked" ... and part of the reason why he played spooked is because he couldn't always trust his OL to protect him.

The nice thing is that the portal players offer a "clean slate."

I think some guys lost faith in Brian and/or Petras ... and that likely led them to abandon-ship from the O. The fact that Coach Copeland apparently had to field phone calls from parents asking about their kids touches ... that doesn't sound like the sort of thing that flies well with Kirk.

Don't get me wrong ... I understand the source of the frustration of the guys. But it's annoying that some guys on the O (particularly those who bailed) took little to no ownership for their contributions for why the O was floundering. It's a team game after all ... and success is predicated upon guys doing their job.
Like Johnson playing in just over 1/3 of the games while he was on roster. Or Bruce not learning to separate from Defenders. Like Charlie Jones, a healthy Johnson and Iowa's another 10 W division winner. And, yeah, parents calling about their kids touches, aside from just terrible parenting, is not going to do anything but reduce your kid's chances of staying at Iowa.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Like Johnson playing in just over 1/3 of the games while he was on roster. Or Bruce not learning to separate from Defenders. Like Charlie Jones, a healthy Johnson and Iowa's another 10 W division winner. And, yeah, parents calling about their kids touches, aside from just terrible parenting, is not going to do anything but reduce your kid's chances of staying at Iowa.
Yeah ... the what-if situation here is kinda crazy ... pretty much for EACH of the last 2 seasons.

I'll be excited if our O can show some actual competence.

Figuring that the D should be excellent, we still have Tory, and our place-kicking game should be even more consistent ... it's kinda hard to NOT see things shake out pretty well for the Hawks. The main unknowns is that there were shake-ups on the staffs of A LOT of B1G squads in the west. Will all that "newness" make the preps that much more difficult?

Reactions: Feldbush
2020 covid year 6-2

No but he did have X rated numbers.

The horrible passing numbers only tell part of the story. I’d venture to say at least 1/3 of the sacks were highly avoidable. As bad as the line was a semi-mobile qb with good pocket awareness makes a huge difference. The offense is going to look light years better. I don’t know what the O/U will be for Iowa but for the first 3 games I’m going to pound the over.

The horrible passing numbers only tell part of the story. I’d venture to say at least 1/3 of the sacks were highly avoidable. As bad as the line was a semi-mobile qb with good pocket awareness makes a huge difference. The offense is going to look light years better. I don’t know what the O/U will be for Iowa but for the first 3 games I’m going to pound the over.
Me too! I'm making bank before they figure it out. Probably 3 games.

Me too! I'm making bank before they figure it out. Probably 3 games.
I wish I had your collective confidence ... given the reliance of Iowa O's on excellent execution ... with all the new moving parts on O ... I'd still imagine that there will probably be some sort of transition period, right?

Perhaps I'm wrong. Obviously, Iowa's O has be abysmally bad in recent years. Thus, maybe the "new pieces" are enough to jumpstart things a little more abruptly. We'll see ...

Reactions: Bishop1971
SP threw to a receiver when they were open. It's too late by that time. I was at the nebby game yelling throw it and he would wait to strides too long and the defender would recover or he would wait until the receiver was trapped between a defender and out of bounds. Ridiculous

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15 and GHawk
I wish I had your collective confidence ... given the reliance of Iowa O's on excellent execution ... with all the new moving parts on O ... I'd still imagine that there will probably be some sort of transition period, right?

Perhaps I'm wrong. Obviously, Iowa's O has be abysmally bad in recent years. Thus, maybe the "new pieces" are enough to jumpstart things a little more abruptly. We'll see ...
Hope you're wrong. I want a 3d tv. Lol

2020 covid year 6-2

If last year was a low point, then overall I think we’re in a good place as a program. EVERYTHING that went wrong on offense is fixable. From a roster standpoint I think the roster is in a much better place than this time last year. Would have preferred a change at OC but we’ll have to see if BF makes changes.

SP threw to a receiver when they were open. It's too late by that time. I was at the nebby game yelling throw it and he would wait to strides too long and the defender would recover or he would wait until the receiver was trapped between a defender and out of bounds. Ridiculous

I believe i said after games last year that being fair to BF, it felt like I saw a dozen quick easy passes designed to pick up easy yards, build some confidence, etc for Petras…and he just missed the throws, often badly.

And idk if I’ve ever seen a qb with worse pocket presence. He made it easy for opposing defense to just target a spot 5-7 yards from the line of scrimmage, knowing Petras would be there.

you expect better against Michigan and OSU who consistently get top 5/10 recruiting classes vs Iowa who gets 40 and 50 recruiting classes except the very rare top 25 class 30, which has happened in year 2021, 2022 and in 2023 why do you place unreal expectations on this staff,

the avg recruiting class rankings before the last 3 years was 47.5 not what I would classify as the top level of recruiting to produce the type of production in points, yards and wins.

I suggest that you and others on this board enjoy the success the Hawks have enjoyed. rather than piss and moan about wanting better than their recruiting rankings.

this just proves how damn good they are at developing the talent they do get.

If last year was a low point, then overall I think we’re in a good place as a program. EVERYTHING that went wrong on offense is fixable. From a roster standpoint I think the roster is in a much better place than this time last year. Would have preferred a change at OC but we’ll have to see if BF makes changes.

I believe i said after games last year that being fair to BF, it felt like I saw a dozen quick easy passes designed to pick up easy yards, build some confidence, etc for Petras…and he just missed the throws, often badly.

And idk if I’ve ever seen a qb with worse pocket presence. He made it easy for opposing defense to just target a spot 5-7 yards from the line of scrimmage, knowing Petras would be there.
I agree. You also knew what side of the field he was going to throw to cur he would always stare down the defense on that side a he walked up to the line of scrimmage. He would only look to the middle and that side during the play unless he had to scramble

here were the defensive numbers Iowa faced last season
Illinois 2nd in yards allowed @ 263.8 pg, 1st in scoring defense @ 12.3 pg.
ISU 7th @ 285.6 ypg, 21st @ 20.3 ppg
Minnesota 5th @ 279.5 ypg 4th @13.3 ppg
Wisconsin 11th @ 305.4 ypg 27th @20.5 ppg

on side note
Iowa 4th @ 277.9 ypg 6th @ 14.4 ppg
Michigan 3rd @ 277.1 ypg 5th @ 14.1 ppg

as you can see the BT playes defense and it plays a major role in how many yards and ppg each team racks up

Nebraska gave up 27.6 ppg
was the lowest scoring defense in the BT in 2022 kinda hard to put up the ppg that you demand, so based on those stats it will be very hard for them to avg 25 ppg this fall. if the defenses are as good as last year,

here were the defensive numbers Iowa faced last season
Illinois 2nd in yards allowed @ 263.8 pg, 1st in scoring defense @ 12.3 pg.
ISU 7th @ 285.6 ypg, 21st @ 20.3 ppg
Minnesota 5th @ 279.5 ypg 4th @13.3 ppg
Wisconsin 11th @ 305.4 ypg 27th @20.5 ppg

on side note
Iowa 4th @ 277.9 ypg 6th @ 14.4 ppg
Michigan 3rd @ 277.1 ypg 5th @ 14.1 ppg

as you can see the BT playes defense and it plays a major role in how many yards and ppg each team racks up

Nebraska gave up 27.6 ppg
was the lowest scoring defense in the BT in 2022 kinda hard to put up the ppg that you demand, so based on those stats it will be very hard for them to avg 25 ppg this fall. if the defenses are as good as last year,
Out of Conference games. Think about it.

you expect better against Michigan and OSU who consistently get top 5/10 recruiting classes vs Iowa who gets 40 and 50 recruiting classes except the very rare top 25 class 30, which has happened in year 2021, 2022 and in 2023 why do you place unreal expectations on this staff,

the avg recruiting class rankings before the last 3 years was 47.5 not what I would classify as the top level of recruiting to produce the type of production in points, yards and wins.

I suggest that you and others on this board enjoy the success the Hawks have enjoyed. rather than piss and moan about wanting better than their recruiting rankings.

this just proves how damn good they are at developing the talent they do get.
I’ve enjoyed about 2/3 of the team immensely. And no I don’t expect better against Michigan and Ohio State. They are out of our league, as you stated and showed how low your opinion of iowa football is, the last two years because of the offense. Can’t believe how much you are hating on iowa!
I expect better against South Dakota State (3 points), Iowa State (7 points), Illinois (6 points), Minnesota (13 points), Nebraska (17 points), Wisconsin (17 points), Kentucky (7 points).

Iowa has got blown out five times the last two years against teams they had no shot of beating because of the offense (Purdue 21, Wisconsin 21, Michigan 21, Michigan 22, Ohio State 22). Or they were in dog fights with teams they couldn’t score against without immense defensive or special team help (Iowa State 21, Colorado State 21, Northwestern 21, SDSU 22, Iowa State 22, Illinois 22, Minnesota 22, Wisconsin 22, Nebraska 22).

Last edited:
I’ve enjoyed about 2/3 of the team immensely. And no I don’t expect better against Michigan and Ohio State. They are out of our league, as you said, the last two years because of the offense. I expect better against South Dakota State (3 points), Iowa State (7 points), Illinois (6 points), Minnesota (13 points), Nebraska (17 points), Wisconsin (17 points), Kentucky (7 points).

Iowa has got blown out five times the last two years against teams they had no shot of beating because of the offense (Purdue 21, Wisconsin 21, Michigan 21, Michigan 22, Ohio State 22). Or they were in dog fights with teams they couldn’t score against without immense defensive or special team help (Iowa State 21, Colorado State 21, Northwestern 21, SDSU 22, Iowa State 22, Illinois 22, Minnesota 22, Wisconsin 22, Nebraska 22).
you need serious help. did you not read what type of defense that ISU had last season? and that was in a conference that defense is optional. and the others only 21points with another scored 22 is not blowing anybody out.

if 55-24 over OSU and 49-24 over USC god I have no idea what you call that. if teams scoring 21 or 22 points vs Iowa are blowouts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT