ADVERTISEMENT

The Cavalry is Not On Its Way: ZERO WR Recruits Coming In Next Year?

you need serious help. did you not read what type of defense that ISU had last season? and that was in a conference that defense is optional. and the others only 21points with another scored 22 is not blowing anybody out.

if 55-24 over OSU and 49-24 over USC god I have no idea what you call that. if teams scoring 21 or 22 points vs Iowa are blowouts.
Those are years big fella. Not points given up. Keep up.
Iowa also had the Ironman in 1939. By your logic Iowa’s current coaching staff should be commended for their record. 😊

Those are years big fella. Not points given up. Keep up.
Iowa also had the Ironman in 1939. By your logic Iowa’s current coaching staff should be commended for their record. 😊
these were the score in 2022
#4 Michigan 27-14
#2 OSU 54-10 again you were expecting Iowa to compete with teams getting top 5-10 recruiting classes vs Iowa who was using players who were in classes in the 40's

2021 in the 10-4 BT West championship season
#4 PSU lost to Iowa 23-20
#2 Michigan beat Iowa 42-3

Iowa did go 10-2 in the regular season despite the level of recruits brought in. again you are demanding that IA play at the same level of Michigan who gets top 5/10 classes. talk about somebody that needs to keep up.

these were the score in 2022
#4 Michigan 27-14
#2 OSU 54-10 again you were expecting Iowa to compete with teams getting top 5-10 recruiting classes vs Iowa who was using players who were in classes in the 40's

2021 in the 10-4 BT West championship season
#4 PSU lost to Iowa 23-20
#2 Michigan beat Iowa 42-3

Iowa did go 10-2 in the regular season despite the level of recruits brought in. again you are demanding that IA play at the same level of Michigan who gets top 5/10 classes. talk about somebody that needs to keep up.
I have no idea what any of these dribble means. Again the last two years we haven’t been able to compete against the Ohio States or Michigans because of the offense. It’s getting blown out by Wisconsin, Purdue in 2021, losing games against Iowa State Illinois and Nebraska in 2022 that shouldn’t be happening.
Why are you hating on the recruits iowa is bringing in?? You are an Iowa hater!!!

I have no idea what any of these dribble means. Again the last two years we haven’t been able to compete against the Ohio States or Michigans because of the offense. It’s getting blown out by Wisconsin, Purdue in 2021, losing games against Iowa State Illinois and Nebraska in 2022 that shouldn’t be happening.
Why are you hating on the recruits iowa is bringing in?? You are an Iowa hater!!!
you are the one hating on this team not me, I live in reality while you live in/on fantasy land/Island.. class rankings plays a very big role in the success of any team.

Iowa's #23rd Ranked class will be true JR's and RSSO's this fall. that class was just the 2nd highest ranked recruiting class under KF's as the highest class was the 2005 class at #11, and that class what was left of them as RSJR's won 9 games then as RSSR's won 11 games and if Stanzi diesn't get hurt Iowa could have possibly been playing for a NC, even in 2002 if Iowa does not lose to ISU, Iowa could have played for not only a NC but played OSU for the outright BT Championship.

key injuries and a key loss can screw up a very great season and still end up a very good season.

Reactions: F5n5
you are the one hating on this team not me, I live in reality while you live in/on fantasy land/Island.. class rankings plays a very big role in the success of any team.

Iowa's #23rd Ranked class will be true JR's and RSSO's this fall. that class was just the 2nd highest ranked recruiting class under KF's as the highest class was the 2005 class at #11, and that class what was left of them as RSJR's won 9 games then as RSSR's won 11 games and if Stanzi diesn't get hurt Iowa could have possibly been playing for a NC, even in 2002 if Iowa does not lose to ISU, Iowa could have played for not only a NC but played OSU for the outright BT Championship.

key injuries and a key loss can screw up a very great season and still end up a very good season.
I am definitely hating on the offensive coordinator. Sign me up for first in line for that.
So how is our defense and special teams so good? And our offense been so terrible? With your recruiting ranking theory that shouldn’t happen? Can’t wait for this answer. It’ll be everything but pointing at the obvious answer which is who is coaching those units. 😊

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
If last year was a low point, then overall I think we’re in a good place as a program. EVERYTHING that went wrong on offense is fixable. From a roster standpoint I think the roster is in a much better place than this time last year. Would have preferred a change at OC but we’ll have to see if BF makes changes.
Agreed ... I think that most of the ills on O are fixable.

I think that unit/locker-room politics muddied the waters over the past few years too ... with guys losing confidence in Brian & Spencer.

If there is any "extra" added benefit to having mercenaries come in via the transfer-portal ... is that it's closer to a "clean"-reboot. Skill players don't have to worry about having Spencer as their QB ... and with Brian and Jon establishing really good rapport with some of the new QBs ... if McNamara can "sell it" to the rest of the skill guys, then that's all you really need in the locker room.

The last ingredient is execution ... we'll see if they can get there. That's the bad part of having so many guys injured during the spring ... things weren't able to advance as much as might be ideal.

"dribble"?

If you rewatch games from last season ... we had a QB who often played "spooked" ... and part of the reason why he played spooked is because he couldn't always trust his OL to protect him.

The nice thing is that the portal players offer a "clean slate."

I think some guys lost faith in Brian and/or Petras ... and that likely led them to abandon-ship from the O. The fact that Coach Copeland apparently had to field phone calls from parents asking about their kids touches ... that doesn't sound like the sort of thing that flies well with Kirk.

Don't get me wrong ... I understand the source of the frustration of the guys. But it's annoying that some guys on the O (particularly those who bailed) took little to no ownership for their contributions for why the O was floundering. It's a team game after all ... and success is predicated upon guys doing their job.
That was my impression. Spencer lost all poise and confidence and became gun shy, bad O line play created and compounded the Problem. At some point i Would have bet money that putting Cooper at wildcat would have been more productive.

I am definitely hating on the offensive coordinator. Sign me up for first in line for that.
So how is our defense and special teams so good? And our offense been so terrible? With your recruiting ranking theory that shouldn’t happen? Can’t wait for this answer. It’ll be everything but pointing at the obvious answer which is who is coaching those units. 😊
The obvious answer, to anyone who knows a thing about football, as to why the offense has struggled the past couple seasons is poor offensive line play

The obvious answer, to anyone who knows a thing about football, as to why the offense has struggled the past couple seasons is poor offensive line play
I don’t disagree. I mean we had arguably the best college football center in decades in 2021 and our line still was maybe average at best. We should have been trying to add guys in the portal last offseason.

I don’t disagree. I mean we had arguably the best college football center in decades in 2021 and our line still was maybe average at best. We should have been trying to add guys in the portal last offseason.
I think we'll soon know if this is the right answer. The coaches may have recognized high ceilings for young linemen and, given the limit on schollies, just chosen to ride out the learning curb. If we see a jump now it's an investment that paid off. If not, should have hit the portal harder for linemen both last year and this year.

Reactions: eyesofhawk
Other than being behind in NIL they definitely should have gotten people to jump in, easy sell I am sure

if you would pay attention the recruiting fo the defense had started to pick before the offense did, plus the defense seems to get the more athletic players,

as a former DC it is easier to build a defense and get them to play together. as for the play calling on defense you do have the basic but it is more about reaction reflex's

as Hayden once said the players line up and basically and say " see the ball, get the ball" a over simple analogy but is really is close to being reality.

played HS ball and there were very few plays for the defensive players to know or run. this vs the offense which was run on multiple plays from multiple formations.

there is a lot of information for the offensive players to remember, then you have to be prepared for the play to be changed at the line of scrimmage and also be ready for a change in the snap count,

the defense does not have to remember all that, wait for the ball to be snapped and then react.

too bad you never played fb as you would know this.

this could be Iowa's starting DL
DE 4* Craig
DT 4* AA Game starter Graves
DT 5th year SR's Lee
DE 5th year SR Evans
LEO 5th year SR Higgin
WILL 4* ACC defense POY Jackson.
MLB to betermined
CB 4* AA game starter DeJean
CB Harris 4th year JR
SS 5* AA game starter Nwankpa
FS 2 year starter Schulte
this years defense could be better than last.

also LB Kueter a 4* Under Armour AA will be joining the team in June as will 4* Under Armour AA Lauck and UA AA OL Lieghton Jones. the OL Just got some much needed help,

if you would pay attention the recruiting fo the defense had started to pick before the offense did, plus the defense seems to get the more athletic players,

as a former DC it is easier to build a defense and get them to play together. as for the play calling on defense you do have the basic but it is more about reaction reflex's

as Hayden once said the players line up and basically and say " see the ball, get the ball" a over simple analogy but is really is close to being reality.

played HS ball and there were very few plays for the defensive players to know or run. this vs the offense which was run on multiple plays from multiple formations.

there is a lot of information for the offensive players to remember, then you have to be prepared for the play to be changed at the line of scrimmage and also be ready for a change in the snap count,

the defense does not have to remember all that, wait for the ball to be snapped and then react.

too bad you never played fb as you would know this.

this could be Iowa's starting DL
DE 4* Craig
DT 4* AA Game starter Graves
DT 5th year SR's Lee
DE 5th year SR Evans
LEO 5th year SR Higgin
WILL 4* ACC defense POY Jackson.
MLB to betermined
CB 4* AA game starter DeJean
CB Harris 4th year JR
SS 5* AA game starter Nwankpa
FS 2 year starter Schulte
this years defense could be better than last.

also LB Kueter a 4* Under Armour AA will be joining the team in June as will 4* Under Armour AA Lauck and UA AA OL Lieghton Jones. the OL Just got some much needed help,
Can you please explain in your vast football knowledge and experience, why the offense is so bad and the defense is so good?!?

You are utterly wrong about recruiting on defense.

4 of the top 6 recruits in 2020 were on offense. None of those 4 are on the team currently.
5 of the top 6 recruits in 2021 were on offense. 3 of those 5 aren’t on the team and the only starter is Colby.

So these two classes are upperclassmen. And you are all about recruiting stars.

Not to mention the offense gets all the help in the transfer portal, switching guys from defense to offense.

Reactions: IowasLaw
in the 2020 year OL Lois was injured in Pool accident and never recovered but unlike some coaches honored the scholly

next was QB Hogan who left
Logan Jones a AA game selection switched to Center at the beginning of last spring practices m unlike Linderbaum who made the switch as a true FR which allowed him 2 springs to prepare to start vs Jones who only had 5 months to learn and get used to his linemates.
OL Elsbury is still here
OL Volk transferred to UNI
WR Keagon Johnson didn't even play last season sorry can't miss somebody that didn't play

WR Bruce way to many bitched about how he performed returning punts and the drops. don't see the major loss like you.

Last edited:
in the 2020 year OL Lois was injured in Pool accident and never recovered but unlike some coaches honored the scholly

next was QB Hogan who left
L

So you are incredibly wrong about recruiting dating back to 2019?!? Most of our top recruits are on offense unlike your “our defense recruiting started to pick up before our offense” comment. 🤦‍♂️
Literally like 75% of our top recruits are on offense from 2019 to 2021.

I’ll wait for all your answers big fella.
All I know is we had all these top recruits come in, 75% on offense from like 2019 to 2021. Like 15 of the top 20 guys, taking the top six or seven guys from those three classes. That would be the redshirt seniors to juniors on this years team. A little different from “our defensive recruiting is better than the offense.”😊 So the problem isn’t recruiting.

Last edited:
So you'd take the guy with the 1:1 TD/Int ratio, plus all of Spencer's other problems, over the guy with the nearly 3:1 TD/Int ratio? That really doesn't sound like a plan for winning football.

I think every football coach from HS up would take the kid with the weak arm over the turnover and mistake factory that was the Petras era.
How do you think Jake would have done behind that OL last year and no WR threat and no real RB threat for much of the season?

How do you think Jake would have done behind that OL last year and no WR threat and no real RB threat for much of the season?
The line wasn't much better in 2007. The receivers were young but promising. Not much better. But, you know we are arguing about top maggot on the pile. I'm more looking at the future C McN and an improved line and receiving group (that actually plays).

Honestly, I think JC would have had more success as he was a more mobile QB than Petras. Not a lot more mind you, but some.

We're talking about arguably the two worst starting QBs in the KF era here.
You know what’s funny. I was working out of state in 2007. That wasn’t that long ago. But it was before Big Ten Network was everywhere, and streaming games on your phone was a thing. I feel like I could only see like two or three games on cable that year!!!

You know what’s funny. I was working out of state in 2007. That wasn’t that long ago. But it was before Big Ten Network was everywhere, and streaming games on your phone was a thing. I feel like I could only see like two or three games on cable that year!!!

On the plus side, you probably got to rewatch the Sparty 2 OT game from that year about 1,000x since…the one where I think Jake completed like 5 or 6 passes the entire game.

Yes it does however having an inaccurate, statue of a qb with no pocket presence doesn’t help. Of all positions for Iowa to struggle inexcusable to have the OL being that unit with the Ferentzs being so called OL gurus. For what ever reason Iowa was a year late to the party and better late then never this year hitting the portal to fill weak spots. KFs stubbornness reared it’s ugly head last year refusing to go after any OL (especially T) and a qb in the portal to compete for the starting job.

Yes it does however having an inaccurate, statue of a qb with no pocket presence doesn’t help. Of all positions for Iowa to struggle inexcusable to have the OL being that unit with the Ferentzs being so called OL gurus. For what ever reason Iowa was a year late to the party and better late then never this year hitting the portal to fill weak spots. KFs stubbornness reared it’s ugly head last year refusing to go after any OL (especially T) and a qb in the portal to compete for the starting job.

I think not having the Swarm ready a year earlier - which I pin on Barta dragging his feet; accounted for not being more active last year in the portal.

Kirk also likely assumed (as did many of the fans to be fair) that the OL struggles in ‘21 was a blip and would bounce back the following year.

The line wasn't much better in 2007. The receivers were young but promising. Not much better. But, you know we are arguing about top maggot on the pile. I'm more looking at the future C McN and an improved line and receiving group (that actually plays).
Bulaga was starting early on as a youngster, because I do remember him starting the Iowa State game and I don't believe he ever left the lineup. I can't recall the other starters from that year on OL, but looking at the roster it sure looks more talented than what we had last year, but a lot.

its really simple the biggest difference is this INJURIES. the offense has bee riddled with INJURIES while the defense has stayed HEALTHY. it was bad enough that the starters were underclassmen but the backups were even younger and less experienced.

even the casual fan should know/realize that.

Reactions: sober_teacher
It's really simple, it's about development. The offense has had a problem with development over the past few years, from the QB position, to arguably the highest rated WR group recruited by Iowa. The line has taken a step back. They have addressed the developmental issues by going out and grabbing transfer kids.

its really simple the biggest difference is this INJURIES. the offense has bee riddled with INJURIES while the defense has stayed HEALTHY. it was bad enough that the starters were underclassmen but the backups were even younger and less experienced.

What injuries?
Tight end, no.
Quarterback, not really.
Running back, no.
Offensive Line, Britt I guess.
Wide Receiver, when you lose all those guys (five scholarship guys left after 2021) and don’t replace them, you have no depth, so that’s on the staff.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT