ADVERTISEMENT

The Hawkeyes have won the opening toss and elected to kick USC’s ass!

Roy L Fuchs

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2012
Shout out to the Hawkeye crowd in attendance...really made some noise!

FS1 should be renamed the USC Sports Network. Sickening bias towards the Trojans. Most of the time was spent debating what is wrong with USC rather than what may be right with Iowa.

Several missed holding calls against the Trojan o-line and the qb did not posses the ball in a throwing motion on that first half strip by Eppy. That should have been a fumble not an incomplete pass in the first half. What the hell replay did they watch?!??

Go Hawks!

FWIW: The game replay is on right now on FS1 for those who may have been working or doing something that prevented them from watching the game LIVE. Or if you're like me (forgetful) and not setting the DVR. :)

Shout out to the Hawkeye crowd in attendance...really made some noise!

FS1 should be renamed the USC Sports Network. Sickening bias towards the Trojans. Most of the time was spent debating what is wrong with USC rather than what may be right with Iowa.

Several missed holding calls against the Trojan o-line and the qb did not posses the ball in a throwing motion on that first half strip by Eppy. That should have been a fumble not an incomplete pass in the first half. What the hell replay did they watch?!??

Go Hawks!
Yes, the broadcast team and the studio team were heavily USC leaning. At least Herbstreit maintained his neutrality in the broadcast of the OSU game. He did a great job.

Sometimes I wonder if people hear any mention of the other team they are immediately labeled "biased" for the other team.
I didn't get the impression that the announcers were leaning either way. I think they yelled and shouted when both teams scored and were excited for the back and forth effort of both teams. I heard Gus mention numerous times how great the defense of Iowa was and how effective the passing offense of USC was. Both teams were getting praise.
I agree the announcers were less excited near the end of the game but that's when the USC QB was out and the trojans couldn't do anything. The game just wasn't as exciting after that for an average viewer with no skin in the game for either program.

Yes, the broadcast team and the studio team were heavily USC leaning. At least Herbstreit maintained his neutrality in the broadcast of the OSU game. He did a great job.

I'd say Herbstreit is slightly more professional doing his on-air evaluations compared to Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart. I would actually describe their behavior as a borderline disgrace (especially Bush), and I hope the Big Ten office has the balls to say something to FOX about it.

On a lighter note, kicking USC's ass made it worth it. I would like someone out there with good YouTube edit skills to make a video going back and forth between Bush during the pre-game and post-game shows. He would look like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. LOL.

Hell, even Gus Johnson sounded deflated as f*** when Iowa was scoring late, and Gus is from Michigan.

Honestly, go back and watch Niemann's pick 6. It's like "Cheer the f*** up, Gus. Nobody died...........well not literally anyway. :cool:"

I guess I didn't get this impression. I think he was just plain bored with the game at that point and not mourning the Trojans.

The one thing I was hoping for was a lot more references to Hayden and highlights of his big Holiday Bowl wins. I'm actually befuddled that there wasn't something like that near the end of the game. I didn't watch much of the pre-game show, but my guess is that there was no shortage of footage from the '03 Orange Bowl.

Sometimes I wonder if people hear any mention of the other team they are immediately labeled "biased" for the other team.
I didn't get the impression that the announcers were leaning either way. I think they yelled and shouted when both teams scored and were excited for the back and forth effort of both teams. I heard Gus mention numerous times how great the defense of Iowa was and how effective the passing offense of USC was. Both teams were getting praise.
I agree the announcers were less excited near the end of the game but that's when the USC QB was out and the trojans couldn't do anything. The game just wasn't as exciting after that for an average viewer with no skin in the game for either program.
I agree with the first part. There were two calls that stood out as odd: The first one was after USC’s second touchdown, Gus yelling “Everybody’s open! Those are 5 stars!” And the second was the uninspired pick six call late in the game.

The first call you could chalk up to trying to get the audience excited. But that was also a bizarre statement. The second, the game was over. But why not try to create energy for the viewers?

Meh.

Most of the complaint is not about the Fox announcers, Johnson and Klatt. For the most part they did a fine job. The studio crew however with Bush and Lienart was ridiculous. As I mentioned, I tuned in a half hour early for what was listed as the Holiday bowl pregame. What I actually saw was 10 minutes talking solely about USC, and then 10 minutes about the CFP games upcoming. Basically not a word about Iowa, until the studio panel made their predictions on the game. Quinn picked Iowa 27-24. The two USC homers both said that Iowa had never seen skill players like USC would have, and they would basically mop the field up with the game but overmatched Hawkeyes. After the game it was a full on pity party about all the issues with USC's coaching, administration, water quality, ozone depleation, you name it, and hardly a word about how Iowa basically pushed them up and down the field all night, and it was Iowa's skill players that made almost ALL the big plays and not the mighty men of Troy. Quite frankly, Fox should be embarrassed with their product for the evening.

I guess I didn't get this impression. I think he was just plain bored with the game at that point and not mourning the Trojans.

The one thing I was hoping for was a lot more references to Hayden and highlights of his big Holiday Bowl wins. I'm actually befuddled that there wasn't something like that near the end of the game. I didn't watch much of the pre-game show, but my guess is that there was no shortage of footage from the '03 Orange Bowl.
No not really. Until the last five minutes it would have been hard to tell that Iowa was evening playing in the game. The only mention about the 02/03 Orange bowl was when the two asshats mentioned that they played in that game, and won big of course....

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
No not really. Until the last five minutes it would have been hard to tell that Iowa was evening playing in the game. The only mention about the 02/03 Orange bowl was when the two asshats mentioned that they played in that game, and won big of course....

It was embarrassing listening to Bush describe the 2002/3 Orange Bowl and Leinert had no clue what he was getting at.

That and according to Leinert, Iowa hasn’t seen an offense like USC’s in the B1G.

I didn't get the impression that the announcers were leaning either way. I think they yelled and shouted when both teams scored and were excited for the back and forth effort of both teams. I heard Gus mention numerous times how great the defense of Iowa was and how effective the passing offense of USC was.

I agree. Watched the game live in a bar where it was impossible to hear what the announcers were saying. Watched the replay on FS1 Saturday morning and was surprised, after reading the criticisms of USC bias, to find that the broadcasters were very good. Gus calling the kickoff return for a td was especially awesome. I have not heard the Matt L. and Reggie B. stuff, although I'm sure that part was biased and bad.

Reactions: steelrain
Let's not forget how much air time "The Wave" got as well as air time regarding Hayden and the black helmets. They also did the image of the Hayden Fry coaching staff and all the great coaches that came from the program.
Yep! Poor Iowa everyone hates us! Come on people!

He literally said a few minutes later "I feel for them. It's tough." In the same tone as he called Niemann's pick.

I haven't said they were biased and no, they weren't f***ing bored, either, so let's get that asinine attempt to defuse the "bias" argument out of the way.

He clearly sounded deflated. Not bored. Not uninterested. Not nonchalant. It was borderline depression.

I'm just telling ya what it sounded like.

I agree with the first part. There were two calls that stood out as odd: The first one was after USC’s second touchdown, Gus yelling “Everybody’s open! Those are 5 stars!” And the second was the uninspired pick six call late in the game.

The first call you could chalk up to trying to get the audience excited. But that was also a bizarre statement. The second, the game was over. But why not try to create energy for the viewers?

Tbf, Im not sure there is a huge audience anymore with a minute 1:40 left and Iowa up big. Not much energy will come to the viewers other than the Iowa fans still watching the domination.

Reactions: JStandefer
I thought Gus and Klatt did a good job. There was a very slight bit of the typical lack of respect for Iowa, but they were just as critical of the one sided officiating as I was (minus the cuss words of course). Bush and Leinart, on the other hand, were embarrasingly biased in the studio. I fully expected Bush to break down in tears, he was devastated! Leinart was just stunned and confused.

Yep! Poor Iowa everyone hates us! Come on people!
Personally never said that I had any problem with the game coverage. THought Klatt was very respectfully of the program and of KF, especially the last few minutes. If you watched the studio show however, there's no way to just brush that off. Not just the fact that they really didn't say anything at all about 1/2 the teams, (Iowa) that were playing in the pregame segment, but even to a fan not involved with either team, Bush especially was very unprofessional. Most of his talking points were about a game that happened 16 years ago?, and he gave no insight at all other then that his opinion that basically Iowa didn't belong on the field with USC. After the game is was just disbelief that HIS program had fallen so low, when in fact they haven't been really relevant since that 03 Orange bowl.

Personally never said that I had any problem with the game coverage. THought Klatt was very respectfully of the program and of KF, especially the last few minutes. If you watched the studio show however, there's no way to just brush that off. Not just the fact that they really didn't say anything at all about 1/2 the teams, (Iowa) that were playing in the pregame segment, but even to a fan not involved with either team, Bush especially was very unprofessional. Most of his talking points were about a game that happened 16 years ago?, and he gave no insight at all other then that his opinion that basically Iowa didn't belong on the field with USC. After the game is was just disbelief that HIS program had fallen so low, when in fact they haven't been really relevant since that 03 Orange bowl.

I wish iowa had a period of not really relevant like USC in the middle of the 2000s. They won a national championship, although stripped of BCS they still won AP

I just felt like Iowa didn't play into the pre-determined narrative and they were trying to figure out how to spin what was happening to fit what they had prepped to say. Iowa had athleticism that they didn't expect. Iowa had creativity and explosiveness that they didn't expect. It felt like the really wanted to talk about USC's youth and talent but didn't seem to realize that Iowa had an awful lot of young talent out there contributing. But that is really not a complaint. I get it. Virtually the entire broadcasting world has bought the narrative that the Big Ten is slow and unathletic and certainly cannot hold a candle to the SEC or Pac 12. Hopefully they learned something. I mean, I sincerely doubt they did. But we can hope.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT