ADVERTISEMENT

The Lee signing and how it should affect our plans next year and the year after

The Vak

HR All-American
Jan 25, 2002
First, I'm going to set aside the equally as huge signing of Gavin Teasdale, simply because he's a year further away, so it's a little harder to project.

This signing, to me, indicates we really now have no choice but to start Marinelli this season and redshirt him the following year while Lee, Mejia and Renteria also redshirt. Kaleb Young could be redshirted this season and then wrestle the year Marinelli is redshirted. That gives us a shot at a title this year, then a reloading year, then three years of Lee/Marinelli/Mejia/Renteria/Young all together. That's dynamite, folks.

Well with Teasdale coming in the 2019 year, and having Wagner, Rathburn, Renteria, Mejia, Lee and Teasdale all around 125,133 and hopefully a couple of these in the 141 range I think the redshirts could be used in different years for some of these guys for different reasons.

I mean with Teasdale and Lee coming in around this weight I am not sure Renteria and Mejia should be redshirted that first year if they are the best guys at their respective weights. Also we don't really know what we are dealing with as far as a lot of the guys on the team and coming in. We may be in better shape in 2018 than you think.

This may be a winning combo come 2018
125/ 133 Lee / Mejia / Renteria / Wagner / Rathburn
141 Turk / Happel
149/157 Sorenson/ Kemerer / Troy
165 /174 Marnelli /Young
184 / 197 Could use some more firepower here.
HWT Stoll / Bradley

A lot of ways this could play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mendoza77
I was thinking the same thing. 2017 has title potential with Marinelli. 2018 is a rougher road.

I doubt Spencer Lee wants to redshirt. Did you see that interview? Kid needs to wrestle. Besides, he should be the one to decide. I will (I think) be the first to say it - in roughly 10-15 years, Spencer is the next Hawkeye head coach.

Sucks, but sometimes the less rated Iowa guys get don't get mentioned.

I have no problem going all in next year and taking the following year as a regroup and let The guys gain some weight. What's good about this is a guy like JRent might sit a year behind Turk but will be AA/Title Ready. If Spencer weighs a pound under 132 his true freshman year, you sit him. Same with Meija. Wagner can wrestle the spot just fine after Gilman/Clark
Leave

Reactions: pumpdog20
I doubt Spencer Lee wants to redshirt. Did you see that interview? Kid needs to wrestle. Besides, he should be the one to decide. I will (I think) be the first to say it - in roughly 10-15 years, Spencer is the next Hawkeye head coach.

Not if he is too light he doesn't. He can redshirt and wrestle opens and freestyle to his hearts content. I do not want them to waste a year of his or Meija's eligibility unless they are good and damn well ready.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Whoa Nelly!

I believe young Mr. Lee stated he wants to be an Athletic Director (I believe that is correct), and the academic programs Iowa has will allow him to do that. I suppose he could Coach before that time arrives however..............lot of water is going to flow under the bridge before that conversation can be had.

Reactions: Herky the Uruk-hai
Pretty loaded team! Can you guys please consult with Northwestern's staff! I can't bare to watch that team. We need good recruiting and optimism,which you guys got now!

Pretty loaded team! Can you guys please consult with Northwestern's staff! I can't bare to watch that team. We need good recruiting and optimism,which you guys got now!
You need more program support. You're in a wrestling hotbed, the best wrestling conference, a cool city, and offer excellent academics. If the administration went all in on wrestling you would be scary

You need Jake Herbert. He has a bunch of irons in the fire and wants to develop youth wrestlers, but NWestern NEEDS Jake to revitalize that program.

Northwestern should be getting similar talents like Cornell is getting out east, stud wrestlers with the brains to go to school at a high academic caliber school.
Your academic reputation is a draw for recruits. Your coaching and maybe lack of backing from your AD is definitley not doing you any favors.
Northwester needs a guy like Scott Goodale from Rutgers (A good recruiter and manager) or you need a guy with a lot of past accolades with a big name like Coleman Scott, Burroughs or Herbert.
Northwestern should be Cornell West in the college wrestling world.

I would red shirt as many kids as possible. Remember T-shirt when he was a freshmen at Iowa. I'm not sure if it will happen, but when you throw out kids to early it can ruin a career. You never want to get a kid use to losing.

I would red shirt as many kids as possible. Remember T-shirt when he was a freshmen at Iowa. I'm not sure if it will happen, but when you throw out kids to early it can ruin a career. You never want to get a kid use to losing.

Our two new recruits are going to be in a room with the likes of the Brands, McD, Gilman, and Clark (and hopefully Ramos). They are going to get worked one way or another. If they break, it isn't going to be because they didn't redshirt their freshman year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT