ADVERTISEMENT

The Legend of Jon Budmayr

WOuldn't it be nice if our QBs had an OC\position coach that could get them these stats thus far in the year:

QB1
50/62 (80%) 562 yds 4 TD ZERO INT's
30 rushes 158yds 5 TD

QB2
6/11 88 yds ZERO INTs
21 rushes 223yds 4td
Which team and QB duo is this?

Why are fans trying to find others to blame for the offense?

Copeland? He’s work with the offensive system he has. It’s not his fault the offensive system isn’t designed to help get receivers open and QBs at Iowa don’t like to throw to receivers. 3.5 catches a game average? They only get thrown to 4 to 5 times a games (It seems like that anyway) and a lot of it is when they are double covered.

Budmayr? Even though I have no inside knowledge, I do know Iowa scripts the first so many plays a game. The Iowa offense looks competent for the first two series in the game (even against PSU) then they look like straight garbage once Brian is out of those scripted plays. I’m guessing Jon B has quite a bit of influence on those scripted plays. Brian Ferentz has complete control after those scripted plays.

The Iowa offense’s poor performance does not lay at the door step of these two coaches.

I think the wide blockers have been all right. Wish we would treat them like wide receivers as everyone else does.
First, I love the name change, wide blockers is way more accurate.

Second, I wonder if the offensive consultant/analyst or anyone else on the staff has considered reducing the number of wide blockers and distributing that help to the turnstile-like offensive line…especially when attempting to throw a forward pass.

It took me awhile, but it appears they are North Dakota State QB stats. Their starting QB grew up less than 10 miles from Kinnick Stadium.
As much as I'd love to think those stats would translate to the Iowa offense, should they be on the roster, without an OL to block, WR who create separation, and a coaching staff who makes decisions to put all these positions in the best situations to be successful, I'm not sure there's a QB on the planet who could make this a potent offense.

As much as I'd love to think those stats would translate to the Iowa offense, should they be on the roster, without an OL to block, WR who create separation, and a coaching staff who makes decisions to put all these positions in the best situations to be successful, I'm not sure there's a QB on the planet who could make this a potent offense.
I like Entz, he adjusts to his players. This year they saw they have the chance to throw it more, so they scheme around their A gap power game.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Think about this.....
He's failed upwards and is THAT bad..... but still more qualified to be an OC than our current OC Tommy Boy.

chris farley cinema supremo GIF
LOL,TommyBoy is the perfect meme for BF

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
We're now going into week 7 and the revamped offense under offensive guru Budmayr currently ranks...132nd out of 133 D1 schools.

The only school with a worse offense is mighty Sam Houston State. Interestingly, their head coach makes less than Budmayr, 1/2 of what Brian's salary, and 5% of what Kirk makes. Let that sink in. lol

Copeland? He’s work with the offensive system he has. It’s not his fault the offensive system isn’t designed to help get receivers open and QBs at Iowa don’t like to throw to receivers. 3.5 catches a game average? They only get thrown to 4 to 5 times a games (It seems like that anyway) and a lot of it is when they are double covered.

Budmayr? Even though I have no inside knowledge, I do know Iowa scripts the first so many plays a game. The Iowa offense looks competent for the first two series in the game (even against PSU) then they look like straight garbage once Brian is out of those scripted plays. I’m guessing Jon B has quite a bit of influence on those scripted plays. Brian Ferentz has complete control after those scripted plays.

The Iowa offense’s poor performance does not lay at the door step of these two coaches.

I will agree that the first few series usually looks better, because BF and staff have had ALL WEEK to put together their plan.

Most of the blame clearly falls on BF, as once the scripted plays are done and he has to call on the fly....and "scratch where it itches". He fails miserably.

Players and other offensive staff share the blame, but the offensive buck stops with BF and he should have been replaced LAST SEASON

If a player drops a pass here and there, that is a player problem. When you have widespread drops amongst a core set, that is a coaching problem.

Same can be said for the OL, if a player misses a block once in a while, that's a player problem. If the OL as a whole is a hole, that's a coaching problem.

I don't think elite defenses go with elite offenses without elite athletes.

Is my new theory.

It is like Iowa didn't have an offensive player drafted in the first round last year...Or a lineman drafted in the first round of 2022..Quite the definition of "bare"
This is so true. We have good running backs, in fact we have 3 of them. While not burners they all run hard and are legitimate D1 backs. Obviously losing Lachey is a huge blow as he is/was another NFL tight end. All, while a nice tight end is a notch below. I"m tired of hearing how we don't have any talent. Most of our o linemen are 3 star guys and a few are 4 star guys. If we look at the recruiting rankings, would our offense rank at 130th? The answer is no. Not all of our o linemen suck. That's not a thing. Find a scheme, find ways to be creative. Do something different. Or we can continue to run 15-20 yard routes that take 5-7 seconds to develop and hope our receivers can get open. Absolute joke.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
It cracks me up more than anything else to hear the primary U of Iowa football beat writers all coming out and touting good ol' Budmyr as a top 3 candidate to replace Brian. I can't imagine a worse and more disappointing hire that would send the fan base and the offense in a downward spiral the team would not recover from for a decade to come.

If a player drops a pass here and there, that is a player problem. When you have widespread drops amongst a core set, that is a coaching problem.

Same can be said for the OL, if a player misses a block once in a while, that's a player problem. If the OL as a whole is a hole, that's a coaching problem.
I can't understand why this is so hard for people to follow. It's as if they feel like coaches have no influence on the roster or the performance of the players when they perform poorly. They HAVE to be friends/family of the staff. Only way you could possibly be that obtuse.

Reactions: obfuscating
It cracks me up more than anything else to hear the primary U of Iowa football beat writers all coming out and touting good ol' Budmyr as a top 3 candidate to replace Brian. I can't imagine a worse and more disappointing hire that would send the fan base and the offense in a downward spiral the team would not recover from for a decade to come.
Hard Pass on Jon Budmayr and his mentor Paul Chryst for OC consideration…there is a reason Wisconsin did not want them…as well as Deacon Hill while we are at it.😉

The good news is we have finally seen the last of Brian.

But can someone please tell me how Jon Budmayr still has a job? He may have managed to underperform Brian himself, and that's saying a lot.

Never before has a "qb whisperer"/"gift from God," whose claim to fame was "convincing" Deacon Hill to de-commit from Division 2 Fordham and come to Iowa, proved to be such an absolute failure as a coach. Did anyone notice how bad Hill's throwing motion was...only to see Lainez throw just as poorly? The guy needs to be cut from the University payroll effective immediately.

Last edited:
Coleslaw-Recipe-2-1200.jpg

"Much of the praise and NFL hype this year went to Iowa's 2022 MVP, Sam LaPorta. IowaLaw never saw it, and was outspoken that LaPorta's stats were misleading. - Slaw

If the value of a tight end is based solely on his 40 time (it's not), he should have a great career.

If pass catching and blocking are factors (they are), I wouldn't get my hopes up, as LaPorta is below average at both. - slaw"

Lions' Sam LaPorta having one of the best rookie TE seasons in NFL history after three-TD night - CBS Sports​

Reactions: squeezebox
The good news is we have finally seen the last of Brian. But someone please tell me how Jon Budmayr still has a job. He may have actually underperformed even Brian Ferentz.

Never before has a "qb whisperer" who was credited for convincing Deacon Hill from de-committing from Fordham and coming to Iowa proved to be such an absolute failure as a coach. The guy needs to be cut from the University payroll effective immediately.
Everyone on the offensive side of the ball besides Betts and Hodge should move on. Copeland, WR's drop way too many passes, terrible at getting WR's to commit to him. Can we not find a WR over 6 foot? Why do we have a bunch of midgets sprinting around that can't catch anything above their heads (Goodbye Nico). Budmyar, wtf do you even do besides convince shi**y Qbs to transfer here. Barnett, goodbye. You are terrible at your job, terrible. What was once a staple for Iowa, you have made the weakest unit on the entire team. We don't even have OL getting drafted anymore under you. GTFO!

Maybe because when the WRs are targeted they all try to body catch every ball for one reason that position Coach needs to get the boot oh and none run good routes to get separation

Reactions: Iowa Gobbler
I was mildly surprised to see Washington and Moulton in the game early so that was a bit refreshing. We have 5 solid RBs on team, I really wonder if we see any portal entries from this group prior to the summer?
I wish I shared your optimism on the reasons for the freshmen RBs playing. The fact that seldom used Moulton had twice as many carries as Jaz Patterson tells me that Kirk believes Jaz is gone. It's not like Kirk has shown a pattern of wanting to get young guys into games prior to that.

Reactions: GHawk and ddeanHawk
The good news is we have finally seen the last of Brian. But someone please tell me how Jon Budmayr still has a job. He may have actually underperformed even Brian Ferentz.

Never before has a "qb whisperer" who was credited for convincing Deacon Hill from de-committing from Fordham and coming to Iowa proved to be such an absolute failure as a coach. The guy needs to be cut from the University payroll effective immediately.
I might be wrong, but has the Capt’ ever fired one of his assistant coaches/family members? I fully expect John ‘the gift from Heaven’ Budmayr to be back next season….😢

Top 5 regrettable Iowa football "isms" under Kirk and Brian.
(in no particular order). On 2nd thought, maybe a bingo card is needed? :)

5. "That's Football"
4. Any reference to the Ravens, Jonathon Ogden, Browns or obscure 80s OL reference
3. "Budmayr is a gift from Heaven"
2. "What's the upside?"
1. "You don't see practice, we do!" OR "Just clean some things up...we'll get better."

What else ya got?

I might be wrong, but has the Capt’ ever fired one of his assistant coaches/family members? I fully expect John ‘the gift from Heaven’ Budmayr to be back next season….😢
Not only will he likely be back, but he'll have a raise and a bigger title. Something like "QB whisperer, special assistant and gift to the program".

5. "That's Football"
4. Any reference to the Ravens, Jonathon Ogden, Browns or obscure 80s OL reference
2. "What's the upside?"
1. "You don't see practice, we do!" OR "Just clean some things up...we'll get better."

What else ya got?
It's complicated

5. "That's Football"
2. "What's the upside?"

What else ya got?
The post bowl game presser with "It's complicated" is a good one.

Ummmmm source?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT