ADVERTISEMENT

The most wonderful time of the year: what's on the Saturday menu for football?

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
Hawks don't kick until 6:30 but we will be watching from home. So, I have the whole day to work with. At the moment I'm leaning towards smoking a few racks of babybacks but I might co-opt someone else's plan if it sounds good... Whatcha got planned HROT?

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Local hangout, good friends cold beer, spicy food and multiple flat screens....

Hawks don't kick until 6:30 but we will be watching from home. So, I have the whole day to work with. At the moment I'm leaning towards smoking a few racks of babybacks but I might co-opt someone else's plan if it sounds good... Whatcha got planned HROT?
I love the night games as gives you the entire day to work with ... Hitting the gym ... walking the dogs ... watching college football ... smoking some spare ribs ... then the HAWKEYES!

Cheers to an exceptional weekend!

Reactions: Tenacious E
I love the night games as gives you the entire day to work with ... Hitting the gym ... walking the dogs ... watching college football ... smoking some spare ribs ... then the HAWKEYES!

Cheers to an exceptional weekend!
Current plan is to pick up the ribs on the way home from work so they can soak in the dry rub all night. Get the fire going in the morning and then mow while the ribs smoke. Shooting for half time ribs and I'm trying to keep it keto so I'm making some homemade coleslaw with it.

I am flying to Newport Beach, CA tomorrow with the wife (pic in another thread) and daughter. We're paying for the in-laws to come to help babysit. I will hopefully find a spot by the beach that has it on!
Nice. Doesn't sound terrible...

Reactions: jasonrann
Current plan is to pick up the ribs on the way home from work so they can soak in the dry rub all night. Get the fire going in the morning and then mow while the ribs smoke. Shooting for half time ribs and I'm trying to keep it keto so I'm making some homemade coleslaw with it.
Nice! Sounds like a great day in store! ... Homemade slaw sounds like a great addition to the menu!

Moving my daughter in to college tomorrow, so no guarantee we’ll be back in time - nor guarantee that I’ll be in the mood for football.

That's my plan. Ribs on at 1:00

Hopefully the rain stays away so I can move the TV outside and watch by the firepit.

Stopping tonight to pick up a pork butt and two chickens. Beer can smoking the chickens and the pork butt all day Saturday. Friends coming at 4 to drink a few beers and watch the Hawks cruise to a easy win!!!! GO HAWKS!!!

Nice. Doesn't sound terrible...

It's paradise, E. Fly into Santa Ana and it's a 15 minute cab ride to our place at the beach. It will be 78-80 and sunny every day. We won't even rent a car because everything is within walking distance.

It's paradise, E. Fly into Santa Ana and it's a 15 minute cab ride to our place at the beach. It will be 78-80 and sunny every day. We won't even rent a car because everything is within walking distance.
do you guys have a hotel you like to go to? always looking for vacay ideas.

Reactions: jasonrann
Try another slaw idea...
Medium to large head of cabbage ( I chop it coarsly so it stays crunchy.)
1 cup sugar or 12 packs Nutra Sweet
1/3 cup or a bit more of vinegar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup or more to taste of catsup
5 drops of Tabasco Sauce

Makes approx. 2 quarts of slaw that always gets compliments. This is an old family recipe from a Piedmont NC aunt of mine renowned for her kitchen work. Can’t find a pic...

Reactions: hawkeye54545
Try another slaw idea...
Medium to large head of cabbage ( I chop it coarsly so it stays crunchy.)
1 cup sugar or 12 packs Nutra Sweet
1/3 cup or a bit more of vinegar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup or more to taste of catsup
5 drops of Tabasco Sauce

Makes approx. 2 quarts of slaw that always gets compliments. This is an old family recipe from a Piedmont NC aunt of mine renowned for her kitchen work. Can’t find a pic...
Sounds interesting. Perhaps I will make a side batch of that subbing low carb stuff...

No idea I'm just doing the cooking. But much like our midwest seafood I doubt they are as good or fresh as you Floridians get. I'm just the che

Live in Houston. Most of them have gone into the mud. I’d plan on doing shrimp boil

The old saying is you don't eat mudbugs in any month ending in an "r". You're dangerously close to September...

Used to be a tailgating group that would always share theirs and I thought they were good but it was warmer those years I'm sure.

do you guys have a hotel you like to go to? always looking for vacay ideas.

Up until two years ago, I was booking through VRBO. Now, we have a specific rental we stay at as we know the owners really well. If that one isn't available, I rent through Beachview Realty in Newport Beach. That saves the 10-15% that VRBO and Airbnb charge. Holler if you want contact information for either. We occasionally get places right on the beach. The one this weekend is a new one we haven't tried before and is about six houses off the beach. It's pretty simple. We pick up keys at the real estate office on our way from the airport. We use a specific driver from the airport that is waiting on us when we arrive.

We prefer the rental over a hotel. This place is $1,400 for five days (and cheaper during non-summer) and accommodates up to six people and has three bedrooms. It has a full kitchen so we can do some meals there. The grocery/liquor store is right across the street. It's a slick setup. Restaurants/bars are all over the place, easy to walk to.

I have been going out there at least once/year for 20 years. @Rudolph knows the area really well too. It is the best way for me to get my beach fix because the weather is consistently around 68-78 degrees so it isn't Africa hot. The beaches are huge and go on for miles. The water is a little chilly at times, but I'm pretty much just dipping feet in anyway.

Reactions: Rudolph
Got a tee time at 0730 tomorrow. Post golf beer at a local brew pub close to the course. For the afternoon games I will be cooking some wings along with homemade salsa at the house.

For the Iowa game it will be carne asada on the grill. I am getting some fresh roasted Hatch green chile today along with pico, avocados, lime etc to make wraps and guacamole.

Firing up the grill , steaks , football all day before heading downtown Nashville for the new I club viewing location. Go hawks!

Babybacks and wings baby!

Whatcha got.?

A bag of pre-washed pre shredded cabbage
a few diced scallions
1/2 cup mayo
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
a squeeze of lemon juice
a hit of garlic powder
salt and pepper
do that to taste making adjustments to everything if needed.

Reactions: billanole
Doing a major experiment in preparation for the Iowa State game.

On a jar of Musselman's Apple butter I read a recipe for bbq sauce that called for mixing 1 cup of apple butter (I won't be using Musselmans) with 1 cup of chili sauce. I intend to add 2 tablespoons of fresh ground, dried ancho chilis.

I intend to throw 60 ounce of boneless country style ribs in my instant pot for 30 min, then load it in a cast iron roaster, open top and throw it on the grill, low and slow for a few hours, basting with the sauce periodically and see what I get.

Have friends coming over for ISU and I want to have the formula figured out.

Got a tee time at 0730 tomorrow. Post golf beer at a local brew pub close to the course. For the afternoon games I will be cooking some wings along with homemade salsa at the house.

For the Iowa game it will be carne asada on the grill. I am getting some fresh roasted Hatch green chile today along with pico, avocados, lime etc to make wraps and guacamole.
What time do I come over?

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
A bag of pre-washed pre shredded cabbage
a few diced scallions
1/2 cup mayo
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
a squeeze of lemon juice
a hit of garlic powder
salt and pepper
do that to taste making adjustments to everything if needed.
Just a suggestion... chopping a “fresh” head of cabbage brings it up a notch.
I hope to give your recipe a try soon. I like the scallion, garlic, and lemon juice additions. Thanks.

Moving my daughter in to college tomorrow, so no guarantee we’ll be back in time - nor guarantee that I’ll be in the mood for football.
I moved my daughter (no pics) into college last week.

Hardest 2-3 days I’ve dealt with in my life apart from the death of my father when I was 10. I was totally unprepared for the emotion I felt.

I wish you luck!

Reactions: artradley
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT