ADVERTISEMENT

The New WBB Recruiting Thread

All Iowa Attack Win Versus Fast
gc.com/boxscore

All Iowa Attack pulled away from a close game midway through the third quarter last night in their second tournament game to beat the NJ Sparks 64-52 despite the poor 3-point shooting of Ashley Joens, Taylor Kissinger, and practically everyone else (combined 4/29) except for Elle Ruffridge. She was sensational! The 5'3" guard from Pocahontas IA was 7 of 11 from three and scored a game leading 29 points.

The Attack fell behind by one early in the third quarter after having led by four 29-25 at the half. Hannah Fuller began a 15-4 run with her only three pointer of the game to retake the lead. Elle R followed quickly with one of her threes that helped to push their lead to 44-34. The Attack did not let up and stretched the lead to 15 late in the game before their final margin of thirteen.

Ashley finished the game with 12 points and a team leading 6 rebounds while Grace Berg had 5 rebounds and led the team with three steals. Despite her short stature, Elle R also had 5 rebounds. Carlie Littlefield led the team with 4 assists.

Madison Treece and Jinaya Houston are listed on the roster but have not played.

AIA plays their fourth game of the tournament tonight at 8:00pm CDT against the Miami Suns

Last edited:
ELLE RUFFRIDGE

School: Pocahontas Area
Class: Junior
Height: 5-3
Position: Guard

Why she’s in the Iowa Eight: Ruffridge could threaten the state’s all-time scoring record before she graduates. She’s already racked up 1,345 points in two seasons. The Iowa career best of 2,756 was set by Deb Remmerde of Rock Valley, who graduated in 2003. Ruffridge averaged 27.1 points last season.

Ruffridge is fun to watch. She is a Missouri State commit. Her height is all that keeps her from being a High Major recruit. I saw her win a state title and she was a force on the court.

AIA lost their final game in the Chicago Nike EYBL tournament this morning to Cy-Fair by the score of 70 to 58. The Attack built a 28-17 lead early in the second quarter only to be outscored 21-2 for the rest of the half and trailed 38-30. The second half was similar to the first. Throughout the third quarter, the Attack narrowed the deficit and regained a small lead, but once again Cy-Fair made a run to finish the game.

Grace Berg led the Attack with 16 points and seven rebounds. Taylor Kissinger contributed 15 points while Ashley Joens chipped in with 12. Hannah Fuller led with 5 assists.

gc.com/box score

Last edited:
Ashley Joens scored a late field goal for AIA to cap a dramatic come from behind 59-58 victory against the Miami Suns to put them in this mornings final. Ashley led the Attack scoring with 21 points and also had 8 rebounds. Taylor Kissinger led the team with 12 rebounds and also made 14 points.

gc.com/box score

Last edited:
Deja Church after the Midwest Showdown (Prospect Nation)
Church is an impressive physical presence on the perimeter. She has a strong build and uses her frame well to punish any defender who tries to get in her way en route to the rim. She showed versatility with the range to hit the 3-point shot and score on rebound put-backs. Given Church’s athleticism, skill and versatility expect her name to emerge as an ELITE prospect when the new rankings release this month.

Was Iowa in Chicago watching? With Ashley Joens' huge tournament wonder how many offers she will pick up.

Also at the Peach State Basketball...
Anaya Peoples & Katlyn Gilbert are 2 scoring options that play well together & are tough to guard.

Chases's sister is a baller...
CnmN0DSVUAAbYaG.jpg:large

#4 in black. North Tartan 2021

Last edited:
I see Kansas State is hiring Chrissy Carr's dad as a "player development coach". Gee, I wonder why?
Another Kelsey Mitchell situation?

Nov is the early signing, we have one commit, Oak or others do we expect more by then. Nothing is sure but what are your hopes and expectations

All Iowa Attack competed in the Nike EYBL championship recently (the last week in July) and finished 5-1 losing to a Boo Williams team that featured the top ranked player (Megan Walker, VA) in the 2017 class. Taylor Kissinger (who recently committed to Nebraska) and Ashley Joens led the way for AIA. Jinaya Houston was listed on the AIA roster but did not play. Madison Treece, who played for AIA in April this year (and last year as well) and was listed on the roster (but DNP) for the Nike EYBL regional tournament in Chicago in early July, was not listed on the roster for this tournament.

On a separate note, I found this [three years old] comment about Bailey Helgren by a Minnesota Hoops blogger...

Bailey Helgren, Metro Stars Black and Edina, is huge (6-foot-4) but mobile and athletic. I saw her finish in transition, I saw her shoot the 3. Sky's the limit.

She has been listed at 6'5" more recently and was ranked among the top players on at least one GBB recruiting service. She has been mentioned here as a possible Iowa recruit. Perhaps someone here knows more about her status with Iowa.

Last edited:
2017 (as it stands now) What do the Hawks have?
What do they need?
The 2017 Roster:
Seniors (2)
Christina Buttenham 6-0 F/G
Chase Coley 6-3 F/C
Juniors (4)
Carly Mohns 6-1 F
Megan Gustafson 6-3 C
Hannah Stewart 6-2 F/C
Tania Davis 5-4 G
Sophs (5)
Kathleen Doyle 5-9 G
Makenzie Meyer 5-10 G
Bre Cera 5-10 G
Alexis Sevillian 5-6 G
Amanda Ollinger 6-1 F
Freshmen
Jinaya Houston 6-1 F
The roster has 6 players that can play forward/wing positions.
6 players that can play guard positions.
3 players that can play the post.
The posts will all be SR or JR. A post would seem to be a priority. Non-poster suggested they aren't really looking for a 2017 post. If that is true, a 2018 post is an absolute must. And they have to hope Megan stays healthy.
They have a good array of guards. They are good with the ball, can score, and defend. Iowa seems to be able to attract back-court players of top caliber. I'm not worried there.
The forwards are also good but 4 of the 6 will be juniors and seniors. There is a need there.
If i had to guess, they will take at least 2 more for 2017 (they have three to give). And if one isn't a post, i figure they will take the best forward they can and then another best player regardless of position.
They will only lose two in 2017, and could build a class of 5 in 2018.
2017 will have (for now) 9 of 12 being JR and SO

Thanks Oak but yikes we will be thin with young bigs. I know its not the norm but if Amanda doesn't earn big minutes making us better now, redshirting her into the 17 class seems reasonable.

I really like Ashley. She does remind me of Ally Disterhoft . She has range, can post up, defends, and rebounds.

I really like Ashley. She does remind me of Ally Disterhoft . She has range, can post up, defends, and rebounds.
According to the ESPN profile she is only 5'9", but from the Press Citizen article from April 3rd she is 5'11". That's quite a discrepancy.

Joens burst onto the scene as a freshman, averaging 18.7 points and 6.7 rebounds per game. The 5-foot-11 Joens followed up a smashing debut season as a freshman with an even better sophomore campaign. In her never-ending attempt to stay in front of the competition, Joens ranked in the top six in Class 5A in both scoring (19.3, third) and rebounding (8.9, sixth) while helping the Little Hawks to a 19-4 record. Joens also shot better from the field (48.7 percent) and the free-throw line (70.4 percent) and cut her turnovers in half. She [also] raised her 3-point percentage to 40 percent.

For all her accomplishments this [past] season, Joens has been named the Press-Citizen player of the year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT