ADVERTISEMENT

The problem with giving an extra year

The NCAA is giving all NCAA Qualifiers the extra year.... and, those granted the extra year will not count against current scholarship rules... example: Lugo comes back next year and his current scholarship amount stays intact and does not count against the 9.9.

He’s not throwing s#%^ against the wall like some of the people in the “know” on this forum. This is one of the few people on this forum who shouldn't be questioned.

He’s not throwing s#%^ against the wall like some of the people in the “know” on this forum. This is one of the few people on this forum who shouldn't be questioned.

Really, based on what? I am guessing that is down the list of priorities right now.

Is it a concern, yes. But not the most important issue right now. Frankly
They will look at basketball & football first.

That's why the NCAA f***ed up by not simply postponing everything indefinitely, with the option to reconvene at a later date to see if a plan could be made to make sports work

I do think their hand was forced by all the universities closing campuses, but they'll have their own repercussions to deal with in trying to figure this mess out that they clearly thought they could just wash their hands of by cancelling everything.

Lol boy are they gonna be in for a rude awakening in a few months, and especially if the NCAA does in fact grant eligibility (have they already?) to existing seniors who may want an extra year. The schools are gonna have to deal with that as well in their own way.

I understand the inconvenience of this all, but there was clearly an opportunity to make this less inconvenient......and they chose poorly.
ESPN analyst Jay Bilas made a fantastic point when this news broke that I don't think you've even considered.
The NCAAs was set to make over $1B alone from the bball tourney, this is a HUGE financial hit for them. This is straight up damage control.
Bilas is a practicing attorney and I'm going to take his word for it, but without knowing the specific structure of the contracts, he speculated that the NCAA canceled instead of postponed because of insurance reasons.

Again he his guessing, but he believes they're probably up shit creek if they try to ride it out and instead can file some sort of claim if the event is canceled for reasons beyond their control.

As of 4 years ago, the tourney netted the NCAA 82% of their yearly revenue. This is a massive blow to them and if they aren't bailed out they could be in serious trouble. So, regardless of what you think and how pissed off you are, this wasn't a decision they made lightly.

Now after we factor in the immediate health concerns it's pretty damn clear they didn't just "**** up and puss out."

ESPN analyst Jay Bilas made a fantastic point when this news broke that I don't think you've even considered.
The NCAAs was set to make over $1B alone from the bball tourney, this is a HUGE financial hit for them. This is straight up damage control.
Bilas is a practicing attorney and I'm going to take his word for it, but without knowing the specific structure of the contracts, he speculated that the NCAA canceled instead of postponed because of insurance reasons.

Again he his guessing, but he believes they're probably up shit creek if they try to ride it out and instead can file some sort of claim if the event is canceled for reasons beyond their control.

As of 4 years ago, the tourney netted the NCAA 82% of their yearly revenue. This is a massive blow to them and if they aren't bailed out they could be in serious trouble. So, regardless of what you think and how pissed off you are, this wasn't a decision they made lightly.

Now after we factor in the immediate health concerns it's pretty damn clear they didn't just "**** up and puss out."
Nah, they still f***ed up and pussed out. I couldn't give a single f*** about money. How 'bout that? :)

I shared this link, parents of these athletes are heart broken. These kids have dreamed of this moment since they were 5-6 years old! I feel sick for my son and all these athletes. I feel sadness for the fans looking forward to this diversion from life’s daily struggles. This is something that the two greatest wrestling fan bases can work together on. Let’s help all our boys have the option. We are one in this struggle!

I shared this link, parents of these athletes are heart broken. These kids have dreamed of this moment since they were 5-6 years old! I feel sick for my son and all these athletes. I feel sadness for the fans looking forward to this diversion from life’s daily struggles. This is something that the two greatest wrestling fan bases can work together on. Let’s help all our boys have the option. We are one in this struggle!

Mr. Brooks, after all the conspiracy sh#$ that armbartilt and his ilk has thrown out here, you have my mad respect for darkening the cesspool door. I admire you for taking the high road and I'm sure Aaron will bring home the title next year.

25 Lee is champion, no match needed.
33 Got to have a 8 man bracket to sort this out.
41 Pletcher vs Lee
49 Lugo vs Kolo but really Sasso better match but too boring.
57 Deakin champion, no match needed.
65 Bull v Cenzo 2 out of 3 because its so much fun to watch
74 Kem vs Hall
84 Who cares?
97 Moore champion, no match needed.
Hwt Gabler Stebersin champion, no match needed.
Any undefeated guy not ranked number 1 should have a shot. Glory at 125. Adams at 197. Whoever else

Mr. Brooks, after all the conspiracy sh#$ that armbartilt and his ilk has thrown out here, you have my mad respect for darkening the cesspool door. I admire you for taking the high road and I'm sure Aaron will bring home the title next year.

Most hawks fans are really good people, I think John knows that. Hate to speak for anyone else, but I think most of us like watching his son wrestler. Very talented and hasn’t gone Mark Hall cocky mode ;) so it is smart to work together.

The NCAA is giving all NCAA Qualifiers the extra year.... and, those granted the extra year will not count against current scholarship rules... example: Lugo comes back next year and his current scholarship amount stays intact and does not count against the 9.9.
Fact or hoping? If confirmed this is cool but I'd guess a lot of seniors won't do it regardless.

Reactions: andegre
The crazy post people make come with the territory. I don’t think anyone believes half the post, but they are funny at times. We need to make sure all these kids have the option of another year and I’m only talking about the qualifiers. Between these two fan bases I have no doubt we can get it done. We need to be loud and we need to be often!! We can do this.

On another note, when leaving the BIG10 tournament this year 3 Hawks fans stopped my wife and I in the parking lot and we all spoke about Aaron and how great the Hawks year had been. Great dudes! I appreciate Iowas great team and history. I own lots of Iowa gear. Great program! If you truly love wrestling and competition you have to appreciate and respect your opponents. They make you great. Just a quick story

The crazy post people make come with the territory. I don’t think anyone believes half the post, but they are funny at times. We need to make sure all these kids have the option of another year and I’m only talking about the qualifiers. Between these two fan bases I have no doubt we can get it done. We need to be loud and we need to be often!! We can do this.

I do support allowing anyone who hasn't used a redshirt to be allowed to apply it to this year. So Spencer Lee, Aaron Brooks, Assad, Nevils etc are unharmed because they had the option in place t start the year.

I can also be talked into also using that same theory on the Olympic redshirts.

But I am not necessarily on the fence with allowing all the others a free year back. I get that's very unfair to alot but that's my take. Too many issues with that.

What? Are you chastising/lecturing me for my post?
Just because you may not know the facts and I do (in this case), relax. As I previously stated, in response to another post asking for my source, you can take it or leave it. I don't have to give up my source to satisfy you. Ok, my source, is called Deep Throat.
Man,
What? Are you chastising/lecturing me for my post?
Just because you may not know the facts and I do (in this case), relax. As I previously stated, in response to another post asking for my source, you can take it or leave it. I don't have to give up my source to satisfy you. Ok, my source, is called Deep Throat.
You're right, free country and all.

Man, **** you

Real tears

Man,

You're right, free country and all.

Man, **** you

I post information from a trusted and very close source to the situation. You then lecture me about my post... Then you get more bent out of shape when I respond? Get over it.

Hmm, seems I might have been correct all along (which I knew) because it wasn't rumor or speculation.... Want to retract that lecture?

Unfortunately for Service Academy athletes, getting an additional year of eligibility isn’t going to help them. Guys like Jared Prince, Trey Chalifoux, Spencer Carey, Ben Harvey, etc. will not get another opportunity to wrestle at the NCAA Championships as there is basically zero chance their branches will let them delay commissioning just so they can wrestle an additional year.

Reactions: Edgar Wade
I post information from a trusted and very close source to the situation. You then lecture me about my post... Then you get more bent out of shape when I respond? Get over it.

Hmm, seems I might have been correct all along (which I knew) because it wasn't rumor or speculation.... Want to retract that lecture?
My point of view: what I originally posted along with every other thing that is out there on the net about what is/could/might happen. With aIl the shock/noise I simply stated don't post things as fact unless they are in deed fact.

You then doubled down on it. That response was the only post I read before my reply. All I could think was **** this tone deaf dude.

Because you may be right doesn't change any of the above. If you can understand that I apologize to you. If not, well you know...

Last edited:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA How would you even know? High road??? It is all just PR damage control. I dream that he has to give testimony under oath corroborated with others testimony.

3ff26bd6a41bb90ba0da1c4ff8c5c7e0.jpg

and to others PR shtick posting about how nice John Brooks is and how great Iowa fans are accepting of Aaron's wrestling.... BUT THAT WAS NOT THE EFFIN POINT dumb ass.... I said his Dad asked for money before committing. Not speculation. First hand knowledge. So I will pass this message to you Cali and your kiss ass brown nosers trying to do damage control.

1zcl21.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA How would you even know? High road??? It is all just PR damage control. I dream that he has to give testimony under oath corroborated with others testimony.

3ff26bd6a41bb90ba0da1c4ff8c5c7e0.jpg

and to others PR shtick posting about how nice John Brooks is and how great Iowa fans are accepting of Aaron's wrestling.... BUT THAT WAS NOT THE EFFIN POINT dumb ass.... I said his Dad asked for money before committing. Not speculation. First hand knowledge. So I will pass this message to you Cali and your kiss ass brown nosers trying to do damage control.

1zcl21.jpg
First hand knowledge means that you were present and personally witnessed the alleged request of funds. Is this what you're saying?

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I'm one of the first around here to jab the PSU Trolls on all things from slush funds, slippery slopes, to lack of institutional control and converting Catholics to Mormons, etc. (some in jest which should be obvious, some not).

But I have stated previously and will again, there have been several of their outstanding wrestlers who appear to be solid/good people all the way around, and at least from afar, Aaron Brooks at this point in time has displayed those qualities to me as well. That starts with his parents.

I'm one of the first around here to jab the PSU Trolls on all things from slush funds, slippery slopes, to lack of institutional control and converting Catholics to Mormons, etc. (some in jest which should be obvious, some not).

But I have stated previously and will again, there have been several of their outstanding wrestlers who appear to be solid/good people all the way around, and at least from afar, Aaron Brooks at this point in time has displayed those qualities to me as well. That starts with his parents.

I guess you were not at the US open.......
Well then, moving forward we shall all defer to your judgement from afar....

I guess you were not at the US open.......
Well then, moving forward we shall all defer to your judgement from afar....
I'm making a personal statement from what I have clearly stated is witnessed from afar. I don't know how that could possibly be confusing to anyone.

If evidence to the contrary surfaces in the future, I'll certainly retract it. But not to appease you. Don't like it? GFY

First hand knowledge means that you were present and personally witnessed the alleged request of funds. Is this what you're saying?
asked and answered. here is the recap

School wants Aaron and recruits him. Dad asks school rep for money. School rep discusses the feasibility and legality with school Admin and legal counsel--I was in on the discussion. Aaron lands at PSU.

Doesn't mean a thing...... But it happened.

BTW in case you were unaware, bribes are not in writing or notarized either.

Reactions: el dub and chuck285
I'm making a personal statement from what I have clearly stated is witnessed from afar. I don't know how that could possibly be confusing to anyone.

If evidence to the contrary surfaces in the future, I'll certainly retract it. But not to appease you. Don't like it? GFY

so you admittedly don't know anything but giving all your opinion...
Go watch the end of Zahid Vs Brooks at the US open... and then, back at ya---GFY!

School wants Aaron and recruits him. Dad asks school rep for money. School rep discusses the feasibility and legality with school Admin and legal counsel--I was in on the discussion. Aaron lands at PSU.

Okay, so to answer my question, you did not personally witness this alleged incident. Therefore, you do not possess first hand knowledge of said alleged incident. Thanks for the clarification.

so you admittedly don't know anything but giving all your opinion...
Go watch the end of Zahid Vs Brooks at the US open... and then, back at ya---GFY!
Do you have any functioning brain cells? I can't possibly make it any simpler, and you double down on your dumb bastard of the day award.

Okay, so to answer my question, you did not personally witness this alleged incident. Therefore, you do not possess first hand knowledge of said alleged incident. Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah. OK Perry Mason. Wow. you sure busted me. ...Moron.

And why would a school set a meeting and get a legal opinion if they weren't asked??? Staff needed something to do? Too much money? Coaches just bored? support the local lawyers? Your point holds no logic. dumbass

Reactions: MVPFAN
Do you have any functioning brain cells? I can't possibly make it any simpler, and you double down on your dumb bastard of the day award.

educate yourself, watch the video. you might be able to make an education opinion.. but I really dont care.

Yeah. OK Perry Mason. Wow. you sure busted me. ...Moron.

And why would a school set a meeting and get a legal opinion if they weren't asked??? Staff needed something to do? Too much money? Coaches just bored? support the local lawyers? Your point holds no logic. dumbass
My point, which I believe that I've established, is that you do not possess first hand knowledge of what it is that you claim.

Also, I get the sense that you're under the impression/misconception that you can not be held liable of defamation due to anonymity. May I suggest that you familiarize yourself with what is called a "John Doe" lawsuit, where Rivals can be issued a subpoena to provide your ISP, email provider and other information that would reveal your identity. Just something for you to think about as you continue to open yourself up for potential litigation.

I do support allowing anyone who hasn't used a redshirt to be allowed to apply it to this year. So Spencer Lee, Aaron Brooks, Assad, Nevils etc are unharmed because they had the option in place t start the year.

I can also be talked into also using that same theory on the Olympic redshirts.

But I am not necessarily on the fence with allowing all the others a free year back. I get that's very unfair to alot but that's my take. Too many issues with that.

What are the issues? I still don't follow this take at all.

I don't believe you, but if that is true that is absolutely a recruiting violation lol.

If you have first hand knowledge why not do more than post sentences on a forum? Take it to the media and report the violation to the NCAA.

How were you in on the discussions? What was your role?

Reactions: TarpHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT