ADVERTISEMENT

The problem with giving an extra year

The NCAA needs to figure out a way to hold the tournament. So many problems with just giving kids an extra year. I can even image what happens if they cancel the Olympics too.

Then what happens to kids on Olympic Red shirts years?

This. Find a way to hold the tournament still. Should have just stuck with no-fans in the first place. Or postponed 2 weeks and see where things are at in another 2 weeks from now.

Just watched the Zahid/Brooks match from US Open. They both got a little chippy. Zahid clubbed him back hard as if to say, "Why are you getting chippy when I'm beating you 6-0?" (Answer: because you're beating me 6-0.) My opinion of Zahid was enhanced. My opinion of Brooks is unchanged: good wrestler who wrestles for a team I don't like, and whom I don't intend to root for regardless of whether his dad posts on Iowa's board. Sorry, I'm all in on Assad. My opinion of Penn State recruiting is unchanged: we all see the smoke, but show us the fire.

asked and answered. here is the recap

School wants Aaron and recruits him. Dad asks school rep for money. School rep discusses the feasibility and legality with school Admin and legal counsel--I was in on the discussion. Aaron lands at PSU.

Doesn't mean a thing...... But it happened.

BTW in case you were unaware, bribes are not in writing or notarized either.
Armbartilt, as insistent as you are, I want to believe you. Why was a legal opinion needed? Was it a wrestling club thing—some sort of gray area where it was being considered?

Reactions: TarpHawk
so, lets clear this up, Aaron was recruited by Penn State, Maryland, Ohio State Iowa State and Michigan for the most part. This Armbar guy allegedly was negotiating? I’m trying to follow this. Is he saying he asked for money? Or does he no somebody who asked for money? I’m a bit lost but I do enjoy a good story if he could share it with all of us. We have people fighting over toilet paper in grocery stores, if he can top that, I wanna hear it! Lol

so, lets clear this up, Aaron was recruited by Penn State, Maryland, Ohio State Iowa State and Michigan for the most part. This Armbar guy allegedly was negotiating? I’m trying to follow this. Is he saying he asked for money? Or does he no somebody who asked for money? I’m a bit lost but I do enjoy a good story if he could share it with all of us. We have people fighting over toilet paper in grocery stores, if he can top that, I wanna hear it! Lol

It's best to just put armbartilt on ignore.

NOTE : This was posted in another thread.

OK, this is what needs to be done!

I used my far superior MegaTronBrain(MTB) to come up with this plan, so there is NO reason to try and dispute it!!!!

ALL current qualifiers will be invited to a "midseason NCAAs Tournament" next season. This gives time for everything to subside. It also allows the kids to train normally and for the NCAAs to set up the tournament.

Current Seniors would be allowed to practice with team but not allowed to compete for the team. This gives them the chance to become 2020 champions, AAs, etc.... without taking away from others.

They would also be allowed to work, would not have to attend classes, even Train back in home states or wherever they obtain a job when possible.

It also allows those like Spencer Lee, to continue on their current paths.

Is it 100% perfect? Probable not, but it is the best possible case once entering all this BS into the MTB!

Please refrain from asking the MTB to come up with solutions for all other sports without offering monetary rewards as this is very taxing on the system and requires 1.21 gigawatts of power to boot!

You all are very welcome:D

Man,

You're right, free country and all.

Man, **** you
Not cool at all. Thought you were better than that.

Bman’s source is about as good as a source gets. Dude knows what he’s talking about. Things can change but his info is good based on current circumstances.

No need to go low like that.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
Not cool at all. Thought you were better than that.

Bman’s source is about as good as a source gets. Dude knows what he’s talking about. Things can change but his info is good based on current circumstances.

No need to go low like that.
Not to speak for the man, but shortly after the post you quoted, he explained his position and offered an apology. I believe anybody with a shred of empathy could understand where he was coming from. Emotions were raw and seeing someone post with absolute certainty what was going to happen before the NCAA even acknowledged the issue obviously struck a nerve. Again, to me this is understandable based on the impact that this situation has had on him and his family. It appears he's since moved on and is in better spirits and we should probably do the same.

I do find it interesting that the Iowa staff never reached out and recruited Brooks.

They seem to put an even higher emphasis recently on guys that buy into the team culture and don't bring issues that could be a distraction to the team.

From the surface, Brooks seems like a good dude and if there was no smoke I'd be a little disappointed the staff didn't at least make contact to see if he'd be interested in coming to Iowa.

Makes me wonder a little though what smoke was circling at the most connected levels that would give the staff pause.

If I put my tin hat on I could see a scenario where some concerning information became known and they didnt even try to get into that bidding war/who could get deeper into the grey area of incentive packages.

Seems like enough recruiting battles have played out and data has been gathered that it's pretty obvious Penn State is as creative as they come with finding a wide range of packages they can offer to top the competition.

Mr. Brooks has only represented himself in a positive light on message boards and seems like a very nice guy but if any shady dealings did happen, excusing them because someone is nice in the public eye goes against the very effort of achieving an even playing field where all are abiding by the same rules. If nothing inappropriate happened then its unfortunate that any shade was thrown towards the Brooks family.

It's seems pretty apparent that not all teams are playing by the same rules though so when you have people so insistent that something inappropriate happened and with supposedly first hand knowledge, it makes you at least interested to hear all information to see if there is any validity to the claim.

Not sure why Iowa didn’t recruit Aaron. I’m an Iowa fan, the funny thing to me is how many people create stories to post information. Not just about Aaron but kids in general. I know many of these parents and it’s crazy the recruiting stories you hear. I’m just having some fun with whomever the fictional poster is. Idc what they say, it’s not true. My understanding with some of these schools is they thought he would be 174lbs, I would
Explain he wasn’t done growing, but some don’t listen.

Thanks for the additional back story and insight into Aaron's recruiting process, John. Most of us fans obviously arent closely connected to the situations and are only privy to the info that makes it public.

Thanks for the additional back story and insight into Aaron's recruiting process, John. Most of us fans obviously arent closely connected to the situations and are only privy to the info that makes it public.
No problem, I enjoy sharing what I can, it’s really amazing meeting some of these coaches and other families. Wrestlers and their families are amazing people and the fans are so passionate. Enjoy these times! Iowa is a powerhouse again and recruiting well! You are only as good as your rivals! These are fun times!

I do find it interesting that the Iowa staff never reached out and recruited Brooks.

They seem to put an even higher emphasis recently on guys that buy into the team culture and don't bring issues that could be a distraction to the team.

From the surface, Brooks seems like a good dude and if there was no smoke I'd be a little disappointed the staff didn't at least make contact to see if he'd be interested in coming to Iowa.

Makes me wonder a little though what smoke was circling at the most connected levels that would give the staff pause.

If I put my tin hat on I could see a scenario where some concerning information became known and they didnt even try to get into that bidding war/who could get deeper into the grey area of incentive packages.

Seems like enough recruiting battles have played out and data has been gathered that it's pretty obvious Penn State is as creative as they come with finding a wide range of packages they can offer to top the competition.

Mr. Brooks has only represented himself in a positive light on message boards and seems like a very nice guy but if any shady dealings did happen, excusing them because someone is nice in the public eye goes against the very effort of achieving an even playing field where all are abiding by the same rules. If nothing inappropriate happened then its unfortunate that any shade was thrown towards the Brooks family.

It's seems pretty apparent that not all teams are playing by the same rules though so when you have people so insistent that something inappropriate happened and with supposedly first hand knowledge, it makes you at least interested to hear all information to see if there is any validity to the claim.

I do recall the Flo guys explicitly stating that they have on good source that a wrestler's parent did ask a school for money. Of course they didn't mention any names and clearly aren't interested in investigating compliance.

Just watched the Zahid/Brooks match from US Open. They both got a little chippy. Zahid clubbed him back hard as if to say, "Why are you getting chippy when I'm beating you 6-0?" (Answer: because you're beating me 6-0.) My opinion of Zahid was enhanced. My opinion of Brooks is unchanged: good wrestler who wrestles for a team I don't like, and whom I don't intend to root for regardless of whether his dad posts on Iowa's board. Sorry, I'm all in on Assad. My opinion of Penn State recruiting is unchanged: we all see the smoke, but show us the fire.

I read that Assad got sixth at Mac’s Nattys in Maine.

I would love to hear the rest of armbars story.
Although I understand the intrigue, there are problems with making such accusations anonymously on a public forum. Mainly, the accused and/or their families could suffer potential negative consequences whether the accusations are true or not.

If in fact the accuser has information of potential recruiting violations, there are proper channels to address those claims. Smearing a man's reputation, publicly on the internet for all to see, is irresposible and not how it should be handled.

I understand Mr. Brooks seems genuinely amused by the accusations and has handled the situation graciously. However, there have been instances of similar situations that haven't been as benign. That's all I have to say about this topic.

John, since we have you here...you mentioned on this board a couple of years ago that Iowa didn't reach out to Aaron. That seems odd, and I've been told otherwise. Can you clarify?

Sure, He just wasn’t someone on their radar. I’m not sure why, maybe they didn’t think he would go that far to school? We looked at all available options. Maybe he wasn’t a fit or they thought he was a 174, in which case he wouldn’t have fit into the lineup. Who knows? With 9.9 scholarships these coaches have to build a lineup. It’s an educated guessing game. Iowa has to be on everyone’s list due to the HWC and tradition. Perry is a beast! Just wasn’t on their radar.

Reactions: chuck285
Although I understand the intrigue, there are problems with making such accusations anonymously on a public forum. Mainly, the accused and/or their families could suffer potential negative consequences whether the accusations are true or not.

If in fact the accuser has information of potential recruiting violations, there are proper channels to address those claims. Smearing a man's reputation, publicly on the internet for all to see, is irresposible and not how it should be handled.

I understand Mr. Brooks seems genuinely amused by the accusations and has handled the situation graciously. However, there have been instances of similar situations that haven't been as benign. That's all I have to say about this topic.

No offence but your constant input of lawyer speak drivel on cesspool topics can go away any time. The d-bag lawyer's forum is the place for that shit, not the cesspool.

Reactions: el dub
Not sure why Iowa didn’t recruit Aaron. I’m an Iowa fan, the funny thing to me is how many people create stories to post information. Not just about Aaron but kids in general. I know many of these parents and it’s crazy the recruiting stories you hear. I’m just having some fun with whomever the fictional poster is. Idc what they say, it’s not true. My understanding with some of these schools is they thought he would be 174lbs, I would
Explain he wasn’t done growing, but some don’t listen.

Hopefully Aaron, along with all deserving wrestlers, receive an additional year. Lord knows they deserve it for missing their post-season. Kind of makes me sick hearing Iowa didn't even reach out, he seems to be a great young man you raised and in my bias opinion would have looked much better donning the black and gold. Do you think he is capable of holding 184 for up to 4 more years if given the additional year?

Hopefully Aaron, along with all deserving wrestlers, receive an additional year. Lord knows they deserve it for missing their post-season. Kind of makes me sick hearing Iowa didn't even reach out, he seems to be a great young man you raised and in my bias opinion would have looked much better donning the black and gold. Do you think he is capable of holding 184 for up to 4 more years if given the additional year?
I think he can stay 184, he is an inch taller than me and I stayed around 205 until I was around 30. He has my build. I told the Iowa fans I met in the parking lot this same thing, he’s a better person than wrestler. The constant smile on his face is the love of competition. Like I said before Penn State and Iowa make each other great. Fun to watch them go at it. A true competitor appreciates his opponents. Especially the worthy ones! Iowa should appreciate Penn State as a great rival! I know I love Iowa.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT