ADVERTISEMENT

The Problem with the De Jean Call

The definitive proof aspect of in game video replay has been a joke for a number of years now. Maybe it’s just time to shit can the whole thing. College football survived for many decades without it.
I have argued this point for years. Sure replay corrects some bad calls. But, it also makes a lot of mistakes and slows down the game. Watch any college or pro game any week of the season and you will see some unbelievable replay calls.

Replay was meant to be a quick review of a small number of plays per game. It was never meant to take 4 or 5 minutes and change judgement calls!

I agree that replay is a detriment to the game. It does fix some calls, but at the cost of super long reviews of crap that don't matter, or the absolute worst, when they invent a call like the DeJean call. When that happens, it truly feels like a conspiracy to make shit up.

I've seen baseball fans argue that replay reviews should be the onfield officials watching the replay for 30 seconds on the jumbotron. They can fix obvious mistakes that way, but otherwise it is quick and move on with the game.

I've sat on this thought since the Minnesota game, but had a fun conversation with a fellow from Wisconsin this weekend (at the Packer game) so thought I'd share a perspective.

This fellow and I are long time baseball umpires. We've both been to pro school, have done camps, and have made it up to AAA ball.

The most critical thing you are taught as an umpire (official) is to NOT insert yourself into the game. Be as invisible as possible. Let the players play and the game play itself out.

So this fella and I were talking about the De Jean illegal fair catch call, and both quickly and immediately agreed on the following:

1. It's really a judgement call that should have remained on the field. That was a live play where everyone reacted accordingly.
  2. Replay was never intended to afford rules experts to show how technically smart they are. And NEVER to overturn judgements.
  3. Rule books are very complex. It's the job of the ON-FIELD officials, who have to manage the game, to interpret and deliver good or bad news throughout the game.
  4. The guys in the booth often make these Wizard of Oz calls that put on-field officials in impossible positions.They are simply the man behind the curtain at some of the most crucial times.
  5. Football needs to learn from baseball from an officiating standpoint. Be in position, stay out of the way, call strikes and outs, keep the game moving and BE CONSISTENT.
Was the guy in the booth on the De Jean call TECHNICALLY correct? Maybe. But he overruled the JUDGEMENT of the on field officials and hung them out to dry. He just needed to stay out of the way. Instead, he inserted himself into the game and forcefully impacted the outcome. HUGE NO NO.

On a parting note, my Wisconsin guy knows the guy in the booth who made that call and told me flat out that NO ONE wants to work with him. Also said the guy writes books and pontificates at clinics, but is really shunned when it comes to putting together field crews. He's just full of himself.

On Iowa. Beat the Vols!

Take all of that for what it's worth.

Essentially my assessment from the moment the TD was nullified that day. The stripes on the field KNEW what was going on with Cooper during that punt and were allowing it to play out.

There has to be clarification on the signal itself during the off season to avoid this from happening again. A clear hand above the head with a wave is the ONLY hand signal that declares a fair catch, like it use to be for decades prior to the past couple of years. Anything else is live, so if you get lit up because you have failed to extend your hand above your head and wave…………..TFB!

Personally I thought it was a great call that was made at the most opportune moment.

Signed,

PJ

they took away the single greatest play in the history of college football.
I am not sure I can disagree with you there, sir.

Maybe the Stanford band coming into the field would possibly eclipse the DeJean play for drama and level of bizarrenes, but then that was extraneous inteference by people not on the football team.

so I have to say the DeJean "touchdown" was arguably the greatest play in the past 150 years.

Reactions: F5n5
Personally I thought it was a great call that was made at the most opportune moment.

Signed,

PJ
thank you, PJ, for your objective analysis of the situation. (and we all noticed how you were jumping up and down from the get-go to get the refs to nullify the TD)

Is it possible for Iowa to tell the Big Ten that Ken Koester is no longer allowed in Kinnick and the conference should not try to schedule him for one of our games? If I am President Wilson I would be tempted to have him arrested for trespassing if he showed up but unfortunately I do not think that is possible. Too bad. Guess my bitterness about the call may be showing!

Pretty much agree with most posts in this thread about the stupidity and/or megalomania behind that call. But it was so bizarre that I don't buy those as the real reason. It would be nice if the conspiracy and/or corruption that led to that call comes out. Instead of investigating players who make small bets on random games, somebody ought to commission an investigation to look into matters like this that are of national importance.

they took away the single greatest play in the history of college football.
Most people consider this the greatest play in football history....
giphy.gif

How long ago was this game? Does it suck yes, but it's over already. Let it go.
Just giving a point of view from seasoned officials, and in particular one from a HIGHLY regarded official in Wisconsin who gave insight and an objective point of view. No More. No less.

I have no problem with my team taking a loss. Just how the call came about...and we're seeing more and more of this from the booth.

Peace.

At the end of the day, the play is reviewable because it was a scoring play, but an “invalid fair catch” is not included in the items that can be reviewed.
Even the next day, when they were working feverishly to exonerate the officials, they stated there are items that can be reviewed and an “invalid fair catch” was not one of them…. But the two officials (not the rules committee) deemed that to be incorrect so they made up a rule on their own allowing it to be reviewed.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I have argued this point for years. Sure replay corrects some bad calls. But, it also makes a lot of mistakes and slows down the game. Watch any college or pro game any week of the season and you will see some unbelievable replay calls.

Replay was meant to be a quick review of a small number of plays per game. It was never meant to take 4 or 5 minutes and change judgement calls!
Think about it this way...When games are televised, these timeouts for reviews allow the conferences/leagues to switch over to commercials, move through their ad inventory, and pull in the dollars necessary to recoup the broadcaster's investment.

It also allows for the "smart rules guys" who can't be trusted on the field to impact games in seismic ways.

Sports are imperfect, up and down the line (players, coaches, officials, etc.,). Humans are imperfect. Nobody bats .1000

That's the beauty of it.

You can't perfect sports or life's imperfections, no matter how hard you try. And when you try, you land on outlandish expectations and the loss of consistency and a perception of unfairness.

JMO

Biggest change I want to see made is that replay booth gets 2 min to review the play. after that, the camera gets turned off, headset gets disconnected. Either the play stands or gets overturned.

Not one second more.

Reactions: GHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT