ADVERTISEMENT

The Swarm Collective

How else do you explain why the majority of the rubes on this board say they don’t donate to Swarm?
Because it is still a free country, and any of us can decide where and when we want to direct our donations.
I realize it is more aligned with your belief system to have everyone fall in line with what you do, because that makes you feel like less of an outsider. You appear to latch onto a certain agenda, and then you hold on for dear life trying to justify your choices. Rube is seemingly, more of a projection of what you are.

Reactions: RothMatt
Are people/fans speaking out against the Swarm. I havent read anything like that but I and others are saying "pass" as far as donating which is their choice.

Do you have some quotes of people saying stuff against the Swarm?
Read through this thread.

I was listening to the interview with Swarm founder Brad Heinrich on the "From the Hawkeye of the Storm" podcast. He said they are about to come out with Swarm Beer. Now this is an idea I can get behind. I would have no problem supporting the Swarm if I get some good Iowa-brewed beer out of the deal.

🍺🍺🍺
👍👍👍
;);)

Because it is still a free country, and any of us can decide where and when we want to direct our donations.
I realize it is more aligned with your belief system to have everyone fall in line with what you do, because that makes you feel like less of an outsider. You appear to latch onto a certain agenda, and then you hold on for dear life trying to justify your choices. Rube is seemingly, more of a projection of what you are.
I'm a person of principles you call it agenda I call it having a set of balls.

It's a free country when the subject matter is something you favor isn't that right?

I believe in the concept of putting your money where your mouth is. I want Iowa to have the best athletic teams as possible and in todays environment contributing to Swarm helps tremendously in achieving that goal.

I was listening to the interview with Swarm founder Brad Heinrich on the "From the Hawkeye of the Storm" podcast. He said they are about to come out with Swarm Beer. Now this is an idea I can get behind. I would have no problem supporting the Swarm if I get some good Iowa-brewed beer out of the deal.

🍺🍺🍺
👍👍👍
;);)
It better taste a lot like Busch Lite to make it big around these parts.

• Haha
Reactions: Max_Rebo
I'm a person of principles you call it agenda I call it having a set of balls.

It's a free country when the subject matter is something you favor isn't that right?

I believe in the concept of putting your money where your mouth is. I want Iowa to have the best athletic teams as possible and in todays environment contributing to Swarm helps tremendously in achieving that goal.
A set of balls is being able to decide how you want to spend your money, and not through intimidation or condescension from someone like you! You seem to believe that because YOU want Iowa to have the best athletic teams, that others should have that same agenda. I disagree. I have been listening to Iowa basketball and football since I could put a transistor radio to my ear in 1955. Your principles are bought by dollars, and you think you have a set of balls, and perhaps you do... the size of a shrew.

I had reservations about it when all this NIL stuff started, but the proof is in the pudding! there is absolutely no way we land those 2 guys specifically w/o a strong NIL program, that is why I am on board! I guess it's a question of how much Iowa Football /Basketball matter to you!
Misinformed and misguided gonna be...misinformed and misguided...

If you were a part of SWARM you would know how involved they were in getting these players. You don't have to donate If you don't want to but don't minimize what they are doing for Iowa athletics.
Sounds like Swarm is a secret society that will only tell donors what deals are made?

I agree and I don’t care for it either. But that’s the reality of the situation until the NCAA steps in and gets it’s under control.

NIL was never intended to operate in this way at all. But we all knew this would happen. The players are just taking advantage of the situation as it exists today. I am ok with that. I’m not ok with the situation because it’s a situation that could have been prevented and wasn’t.

The issue should be with the NCAA and not the program or it’s players. The NCAA failed miserably.
<<The NCAA failed miserably>>

Truer word was never spoken!

I gotcha. You think they're stealing the money and not giving it to the players. Hilarious. You think there aren't enough coaches, big donors, etc that know exactly how much money is coming in and out to know if this was a problem?

Not to mention we're not talking about a huge sum of money at the moment. It's a pretty stupid proposition to start an NIL collective to try to steal a portion of a couple million.

If that's your excuse for not donating it's beyond weak.
Yeah, except it's already quietly being looked into at several places.

You understand that good, reputable non-profits have audits conducted, right?

No bro. I am a finance guy. Fraud and theft can be intentional or unintentional and I like to see also the cash flow that would show how much goes into various expense buckets. If something ain't audited and a report available I would never get in it. Never.
Because you're sensible. Blindly giving or investing leads to...blindy being robbed at some point.

"I'm sorry Suzie, I'd like to give you a $20 donation to help with your school's band trip but you've not itemized your expenses and I frankly just can't help you."

Brad, we got a guy in Mt. Vernon that will donate $10 a month if you open the books and itemize everything for him. Get on that STAT so we can pull in some 5 stars!
If Brad was smart and above-board, he would have done that from the start. If Brad was all about altruism for athletes and all about fan support, he'd do this, vs. selling "access" and "insider" status.

When Brad says, "We're private", Brad is saying, "Pay me...and THEN I'll show you"

This. I haven’t seen any evidence the SWARM did anything to land any transfer. Not saying it didn’t, just wish it would announce that it entered into a contract with player X. I think this would get more people on board with joining. For now we just have to speculate what players the SWARM has contributed to.

Instead of badgering the people that are asking for evidence maybe just show them that what you are doing and that it works so they will contribute
The players announce that they have entered into contracts via Swarm. We don’t make those announcements.

If Brad was smart and above-board, he would have done that from the start. If Brad was all about altruism for athletes and all about fan support, he'd do this, vs. selling "access" and "insider" status.

When Brad says, "We're private", Brad is saying, "Pay me...and THEN I'll show you"
I’m not sure where all the venom stems from here. We have to show everything we do (revenues, expenses, etc) on governmental forms which anybody can access.

Im not trying to sell insider status at all. I’m offering experiences that fans wouldn't otherwise have, if that makes sense. But I’m not trying to create a class system for Iowa athletics.

Guys, I’m merely trying to help the Hawks. I’m not getting paid.

Why not? Collective's all over the country are releasing press releases about their partnerships with players.

The only press releases the SWARM collective has released is about it's partnerships with businesses, which I understand it needs in order to offer the players an opportunity to "earn" their money.

But if you want to offer players more money for those "volunteer" opportunities, you have to engage the fan base. I think the SWARM collective could be better in that regard. Don't just offer the fans more access. Most don't even care about that. Show them the results of what you're doing with their money and more will come. But as of now, we all just have to speculate about the impact SWARM is having.
Do you happen to follow the swarm on social media? We attempt to show what is going on at every event we have.

Sounds like Swarm is a secret society that will only tell donors what deals are made?
That’s not it at all. We disclose what every player will make under the collective. We don’t on the Swarm Inc side, as those deals are private between the company and the kid. It’s not for me to disclose. We just help them happen!

I’m not sure where all the venom stems from here. We have to show everything we do (revenues, expenses, etc) on governmental forms which anybody can access.

Im not trying to sell insider status at all. I’m offering experiences that fans wouldn't otherwise have, if that makes sense. But I’m not trying to create a class system for Iowa athletics.

This is the Hawkeye board be prepared for a few trolls :). Even still its something new, the whole thing has changed college athletics to more of a business. For some that is not for the better. For some they consider it the cost of doing business. Honestly I am on the fence about in general. I may come around on it in time, and I will definitely be looking forward to seeing that first 990. Good luck, keep moving forward.

This is the Hawkeye board be prepared for a few trolls :). Even still its something new, the whole thing has changed college athletics to more of a business. For some that is not for the better. For some they consider it the cost of doing business. Honestly I am on the fence about in general. I may come around on it in time, and I will definitely be looking forward to seeing that first 990. Good luck, keep moving forward.
No problem. And thanks for the encouragement. Go Hawks!

Reactions: Franisdaman
Its not a fan’s responsibility to compensate players…

Is it the world we live in? Yes

But dont guilt fans into thinking its their fault the Hawks can’t compete unless they pay the salaries

At the same time, fans shouldn't bitch about Fran not landing top transfer AND high school prospects when most of the NIL money has been going towards football players

We all know we lost out on transfers a year ago because we got outbid.

We all know we lost out on JP Estrella, a high school prospect, last year because we got outbid.

Fran has embraced SWARM but there's only so much money to go around & SWARM clearly earmarked a lot of their resources for the haul of football transfers that they brought in.

As a result, Iowa men's basketball is having a hard time competing against "basketball schools" and against schools that don't have a football program (where collectives spend more or all on basketball).

Fran gets criticized a lot for not landing highly rated prospects but the lack of money that the SWARM can offer has made his job that much harder.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill

he is no diferent than this site or Hawkeye Insider with charging posters to read what they get for free, especially recruiting news as that from Tyler Barnes,

you have too much patience and are way too kind in your responses ;)

I don't care if someone doesn't want to contribute to the Swarm. I disagree with those who write that non-contributors aren't true Hawkeye fans or don't have standing to criticize the recruiting or the program in general. Everyone has the right to do so. Whether your criticism has merit can be judged by those who read it. It's not dependent on whether you donate or how much you donate. But Brad should not be demonized or his motives questioned. He's running the NIL collective - with that comes a pitch to contribute to the collective; that's what any fundraising organization must do if it wants to meet its objectives and goals. The Swarm in no different in that regard.

Reactions: GHawk and littlez
the ones that bitch about Fran missing or failing to get the top players out of the portal are usually the one that can't or won't contribute to the collective heavy emphasis on the won't, I am limited on my ability as I only get $1480 a month in SS and I will need what I have in the stock market going forward

right now my stocks that I own are in the red. but it will start to go back up.

I don't care if someone doesn't want to contribute to the Swarm. I disagree with those who write that non-contributors aren't true Hawkeye fans or don't have standing to criticize the recruiting or the program in general. Everyone has the right to do so. Whether your criticism has merit can be judged by those who read it. It's not dependent on whether you donate or how much you donate. But Brad should not be demonized or his motives questioned. He's running the NIL collective - with that comes a pitch to contribute to the collective; that's what any fundraising organization must do if it wants to meet its objectives and goals. The Swarm in no different in that regard.
It’s astounding to me that there’s people out there questioning his motives. He’s literally the only guy that stepped up out of tens of thousands of alumni. If you don’t want to donate totally understand that. But just keep your mouth shut then and be grateful that someone is doing the work so we can enjoy a better product.

At the same time, fans shouldn't bitch about Fran not landing top transfer AND high school prospects when most of the NIL money has been going towards football players

We all know we lost out on JP Estrella, a high school prospect, last year because we got outbid.

Fran has embraced SWARM but there's only so much money to go around & SWARM clearly earmarked a lot of their resources for the haul of football transfers that they brought in.

As a result, Iowa men's basketball is having a hard time competing against "basketball schools" and against schools that don't have a football program (where collectives spend more or all on basketball).

Fran gets criticized a lot for not landing highly rated prospects but the lack of money that the SWARM can offer has made his job that much harder.

Don’t like that Swarm is getting charged to hold dinner events by UI unless the UI has to for compliance purposes. As some other poster said, success for Barta’s job is reliant on the Swarm being successful. I have to assume he would understand that but maybe he’s close enough to retirement that he doesn’t care.

It’s astounding to me that there’s people out there questioning his motives. He’s literally the only guy that stepped up out of tens of thousands of alumni. If you don’t want to donate totally understand that. But just keep your mouth shut then and be grateful that someone is doing the work so we can enjoy a better product.
Could not agree more.

Trolling??? Stupid??? If that is really your true thoughts then it is not only wrong but you must be some big time conservative dude that wants to rule everyone else's lives, which is the antithesis of what this country is about.

Get off your high horse about donating money for a game at a university that pulls in over $100 million a year into the athletic budget.
Respectfully, and politics aside, you're completely blind to what is going on if you think the "athletic budget" is the same as, or even adjacent to, how NIL compensation and collectives work these days.

If you want to have an intellectually honest argument, consider comparing our NIL efforts and collective fundraising to that of other B1G schools or top-tier power-5 schools.

The world has changed, man, all Hawk fans need to open their eyes. And perhaps their wallets if they can muster it.

I'll never say those that aren't donating aren't Hawkeye fans, but their complaints about missing recruits where NIL is a factor will fall on deaf ears with me.

I appreciate you clarifying. The way others described it made it sound like insider-only, secret, club-type, while others questioned the Fandom of those not contributing.

I personally have no stake, obviously. I DO worry about the ability for a smaller state school being able to compete with much larger schools and fan bases. Then again, we've competed for this long.

So is it 501c-3, filing 990, etc? Is there a Board, etc., or do you have to do it all?

I will also listen to Hawkeye of the Storm, as well. I like Cory Brada's approach and attitude.

That’s not it at all. We disclose what every player will make under the collective. We don’t on the Swarm Inc side, as those deals are private between the company and the kid. It’s not for me to disclose. We just help them happen!
Again, thanks for clarifying.

the ones that bitch about Fran missing or failing to get the top players out of the portal are usually the one that can't or won't contribute to the collective heavy emphasis on the won't, I am limited on my ability as I only get $1480 a month in SS and I will need what I have in the stock market going forward

right now my stocks that I own are in the red. but it will start to go back up.
I, for one, am actually amazed that our programs land some of the recruits that we do. I will NEVER bitch about a coach who recruits honestly, on the level, and can look at himself/herself in the mirror.

I place blame on recruits and their parents more than I do the coaches. Proctor is a prime example of the problems we have in recruiting and, in a certain way, society as a whole.

Looked like the Michigan center that went to Kansas basketball insinuated he got over 6 figures by making the move to Kansas.

Respectfully, and politics aside, you're completely blind to what is going on if you think the "athletic budget" is the same as, or even adjacent to, how NIL compensation and collectives work these days.

If you want to have an intellectually honest argument, consider comparing our NIL efforts and collective fundraising to that of other B1G schools or top-tier power-5 schools.

The world has changed, man, all Hawk fans need to open their eyes. And perhaps their wallets if they can muster it.
I thought you would say they need to open their bungholes.

Don’t like that Swarm is getting charged to hold dinner events by UI unless the UI has to for compliance purposes. As some other poster said, success for Barta’s job is reliant on the Swarm being successful. I have to assume he would understand that but maybe he’s close enough to retirement that he doesn’t care.
I am just guessing that right now they have to do that to keep the appearance of arms length.

I'd push out an advert or message during games when dudes are drunk and hopefully happy after wins.

Wife: "WTF did you spend $300 for on Saturday?"

Looked like the Michigan center that went to Kansas basketball insinuated he got over 6 figures by making the move to Kansas.

pretty incredible, isn't it?

Kansas was probably doing stuff like this all the time before NIL (all under the table). Now it's all legal

Remember the Adidas scandal? Now, I suppose $100,000 shoe contracts are no big deal

pretty incredible, isn't it?

Kansas was probably doing stuff like this all the time before NIL (all under the table). Now it's all legal

Remember the Adidas scandal? Now, I suppose $100,000 shoe contracts are no big deal
And probably spending more because of the risk involved…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT