ADVERTISEMENT

The truth about the Trump economy (?)

I'm torn. I owed $1,800 to the IRS last year and $1,000 this year (never owed the previous 30 years), BUT my portfolio is soaring!

Wife (pic in another thread) decided to get some cash into the market about four months ago. Up 10% already in that amount of time. I just hope it keeps going!

Reactions: alaskanseminole
What happened to your pay check?

Wife and I paid more taxes in 2018 than we did in 2017 because of the diddling he did with the deductions. Not sure how 2019 will turn out yet, but guessing it will be similar to 2018.

Wife and I paid more taxes in 2018 than we did in 2017 because of the diddling he did with the deductions. Not sure how 2019 will turn out yet, but guessing it will be similar to 2018.

It turned out well for us but the only deduction we had was our state taxes as we have already paid the house off. Couple that with three kids and the increased child tax CREDIT and things turned out really good for us.

Tax Deductions have been shown to disproportionately help the wealthy/well to do, at least according to democrats prior to these tax changes, so I am not sure why democrats are upset with this tax plan. It actually took some of the "tax gaming" out of the system, the very gaming that lower class individuals could never afford to do.

I added the question mark. The article is provocative reading, but I don’t agree with it 100%.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/c...ut-trump-economy-by-joseph-e-stiglitz-2020-01
Wow, you liberals think that most of that is actually important? Taxes going up for you? If you live in a blue state, your taxes are increasing because the destructibility of state and local taxes has less impact. This is by design. But you blame that wrong people, you blame Trump, when in reality you should be blaming the democrats running your states and cities. They should be lowering your tax bill, rather than relying upon the rest of the country to subsidize your tax bill.

Wow, you liberals think that most of that is actually important? Taxes going up for you? If you live in a blue state, your taxes are increasing because the destructibility of state and local taxes has less impact. This is by design. But you blame that wrong people, you blame Trump, when in reality you should be blaming the democrats running your states and cities. They should be lowering your tax bill, rather than relying upon the rest of the country to subsidize your tax bill.
Yes, by design. Those high tax areas were already subsidizing red states. Now they get to even more.

Great! That's a net positive for me since I won't be paying for health insurance!!

giphy.gif

2019 was my best, how about you?

Calendar year 2019 was indeed a great year for investors, though it isn't as good if you stretch it out a bit & include the last quarter of 2018 (or even just December 2018). Half of the 2019 increase was simply getting back the losses from that stretch.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT