ADVERTISEMENT

The Vehicle Gods Hate Me

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
So….a few months back I sold the Ferrari Van. (2001 Dodge Caravan that my coworkers stuck Ferrari stickers on…and I left on)

Bought a Tesla Model 3 for the wife and took over the 2016 Volvo XC 60 as my main mode of transportation to work and long trips. Figured it’d be good for another 4 or 5 years.

Any who….this week it starts having transmission issues. Well this escalated quite quickly to needing a new transmission in a couple days time.

Estimated cost 11K

Basically more than the value of the vehicle.

Looks like I’m gonna buy another vehicle. Even though I’m fabulously wealthy like everyone on GIAHORT it’s quite the kick to the gonads 😢

Just posted to vent and let you fine people laugh at my expense 😁

I don't laugh about car shit, it's no joke. My Audi S6 is ten years old (118,000 miles) and I have put $4,500 into it since last fall with a couple other things still looming. It sucks. Going to try to hold out another year for my next upgrade.

11k for a transmission?
Yes…and computer issues.

Unfortunately where I live it’s damned near impossible to get anyone to actually work on a Volvo transmission. Had to tow it to Pensacola…

Apparently a transmission rebuild/change also includes computer programming that Volvo seems to keep a tight reign on. As in they don’t release programming software to non dealers. For this…apparently…you have to go through a dealer.

Probably getting totally hosed but I already brought it to a transmission place that said they worked on Volvo’s in Niceville and they won’t touch it.
Kind of optioned out

Reactions: lucas80
I feel your pain. I hate vehicle repairs, especially because I have never known or care to know much about vehicles. I feel like once something bad starts, it’s all down hill in a hurry.
Usually seems to happen right after it’s all paid off.
Which is a soon as I take it off the lot because as you said, we’re all rich.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Yea you might want to shop around for a transmission.
I just got the cost estimate about an he ago and am still going through the options.

Main limitation factor is finding someone that’ll actually do the work that isn’t a dealer. As I said in the previous response apparently the computer reprogramming is something non dealers can’t do…at least around here.

Reactions: ericram
I’d be on board with an invasion of Sweden at this point.

Volvo plant would be #1 on the targeting list 😁
Even the locals prefer Tesla:

As per Car.info data, the Tesla Model Y actually became Sweden's best-selling car in 2023, with 16,416 units sold over the year. The Model Y was able to beat popular vehicles such as the Volvo XC40 and XC60, which saw 13,661 and 11,669 vehicle registrations in 2023, respectively.

Even the locals prefer Tesla:

As per Car.info data, the Tesla Model Y actually became Sweden's best-selling car in 2023, with 16,416 units sold over the year. The Model Y was able to beat popular vehicles such as the Volvo XC40 and XC60, which saw 13,661 and 11,669 vehicle registrations in 2023, respectively.

Go back to anything by Honda or Toyota
I drove my Honda Accord from 1994 to 2010. Put at least 300k on it but I’m not sure because the odometer broke.

Only reason I junked it was because it couldn’t pass the German yearly inspection anymore. Nazi bastards…

If I had been in Florida I’d still be driving it.

Reactions: hwk23
Best car I ever owned was a Honda accord 😔
Then I decided to go with those Nordic bastards Volvo!!!
Since the military was shipping it for free back to the States, my dad bought one of these before we rotated out in '85.

i4aX8G5.png

I learned to drive manual with it. That tranny was a tank.

OP should have just stopped at admitting he drives a hand me down Volvo.

Our 2020 Highlander transmission went bad a couple months back with a little over 60,000 miles. Nearly $9,000.00 for a new transmission. Fortunately they threw in a lifetime power train warranty when we bought it. I thought it was ridiculous for it to go out so soon.

So….a few months back I sold the Ferrari Van. (2001 Dodge Caravan that my coworkers stuck Ferrari stickers on…and I left on)

Bought a Tesla Model 3 for the wife and took over the 2016 Volvo XC 60 as my main mode of transportation to work and long trips. Figured it’d be good for another 4 or 5 years.

Any who….this week it starts having transmission issues. Well this escalated quite quickly to needing a new transmission in a couple days time.

Estimated cost 11K

Looks like I’m gonna buy another vehicle. Even though I’m fabulously wealthy like everyone on GIAHORT it’s quite the kick to the gonads 😢

Volvos have shitty transmissions!!???

11k!!!?

Shit...I paid like $2500-3k for a transmission in my '05 diesel Jeep. And the GM transmission estimate for my prior 325 series was ~$3k (~2014) when I sold it (guy bought it as-is, knowing he'd have to replace that soon).

$11k is nutso!!!! Is that the "dealer estimate"?

Yes…and computer issues.

Unfortunately where I live it’s damned near impossible to get anyone to actually work on a Volvo transmission. Had to tow it to Pensacola…

Apparently a transmission rebuild/change also includes computer programming that Volvo seems to keep a tight reign on. As in they don’t release programming software to non dealers. For this…apparently…you have to go through a dealer.

Probably getting totally hosed but I already brought it to a transmission place that said they worked on Volvo’s in Niceville and they won’t touch it.
Kind of optioned out

This thread really should have been added to the old "Tranny Took A Dump On Me" archive....

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Worst vehicle I ever drove was the Ferrari van. Kept driving it out of spite.

Frau, friends, co workers all gave me shit about it but it just made me want to keep driving that piece of crap.

I obviously have a couple screws loose in that regard.

Does that Volvo have the Aisin (Toyota sourced) 6 or 8 speed AT? Usually Aisins are fairly robust but Volvo has had issues with their AT's in recent years so who knows why is crapped out so quickly.

If so, my bet is hell yeah a brand new AT for that is $11k. Used, probably not as much obviously - and my bet is yeah, you will have issues finding anybody that wants to work on them. My bet is that all in cost is a helluva lot of labor just to get the damn thing out and a new one put back in.

(not trying to rub it in, but...) welcome to the not so wonderful world of owning European vehicles! And, yeah...your vehicle may be what is termed as "mechanically totaled" (worth a lot more in parts than being fixed up).

• Sad
Reactions: Joes Place
Does that Volvo have the Aisin (Toyota sourced) 6 or 8 speed AT? Usually Aisins are fairly robust but Volvo has had issues with their AT's in recent years so who knows why is crapped out so quickly.

If so, my bet is hell yeah a brand new AT for that is $11k. Used, probably not as much obviously - and my bet is yeah, you will have issues finding anybody that wants to work on them. My bet is that all in cost is a helluva lot of labor just to get the damn thing out and a new one put back in.

(not trying to rub it in, but...) welcome to the not so wonderful world of owning European vehicles! And, yeah...your vehicle may be what is termed as "mechanically totaled" (worth a lot more in parts than being fixed up).
Pretty much what I’m hearing 😔
Thanks? 😁
Oh…and 8 speed

Did you try a transmission fluid change?

I had an old Volvo (850) that started developing some transmission issues. (going into Limp mode, throwing codes, etc.) It was suggested by a random guy on YouTube that I could either have a certain solenoid (1 of five, but he had the part number) in the transmission replaced or ... do a couple "drain and fill" operations. I did the latter which cost me around $200 for parts which was mostly for the imported transmission fluid.

For the most part, it resolved the issue. It still felt a little funky going through the shifting sequence, but the car did not throw any more codes and it never went into Limp Mode again.

Incidentally, Volvo factory parts are in general, far more expensive than Mercedes parts, depending on where you buy them.

If you are like me and consider that all dealership mechanics and service department lie 90-100% of the time, one option is to do your own diagnosis.

You need an OBD code reader and access to the million or so YouTube videos about diagnosing and resolving your Volvo issues. You can/should also join a website devoted to the maintenance and care of Volvos. Some are free, but none are expensive. My Mercedes Forum costs only about $20 a year and they have moderators who respond to questions. ... It is one of the greatest online membership values out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: cfbfan23

Estimated cost 11K

You need to get a 2nd opinion. 11K for a tranny hooker is too much. Find Joe Blow tranny guy and see what he says. Trannys are all the same.

• Haha

Estimated cost 11K

You now own a very safe paperweight.

if the car is otherwise in great shape maybe 11k is not egregious to get another 50-100k miles out of it (and you will recoup some of it when you sell it)
can you buy this car used for 11k, probably not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT