ADVERTISEMENT

They were going to fake that punt, right?

gojojo

HR Legend
Jul 24, 2001
Bret used his 2nd TO on that final 4th down as he didn't like the look for his fake punt attempt, correct? He wanted to relive Wisco 2010 but had to call the TO and go for it as we were playing a base D...KF had seen this before from Bert.

With 2 time outs and our struggles on offense I don't see why he'd call a TO if they were planning on punting with just under 4 minutes to play, we'd need two first downs to run out the clock and I don't see how likely that is backed up in the shadow of our own endzone.

He got owned this time....

Anyone else think the same?

I would have to look at the replay but at the time I dont think they were going to fake the punt. You fake the punt when you are desperate like in 2010. But with the hawk offense mostly sputtering and Kirk's usual very conservative offense late with the lead I thought Bert was punting. He had two timeouts and there was time to stop the hawks and get the ball back.

I think he changed his mind though or someone talked him into going for it.

Reactions: hawkcub
I don’t know. What I think I heard from Bert post-game suggested no fake.

I would have to look at the replay but at the time I dont think they were going to fake the punt. You fake the punt when you are desperate like in 2010. But with the hawk offense mostly sputtering and Kirk's usual very conservative offense late with the lead I thought Bert was punting. He had two timeouts and there was time to stop the hawks and get the ball back.

I think he changed his mind though or someone talked him into going for it.

I would have absolutely punted. As you said, everyone knows KF is running 3 straight up the middle. With 2 timeouts you'll get the ball near midfield with over 2 minutes left.

That's why I think it was a fake.

If he was initially planning on punting, why change your mind and use a timeout? You are essentially pushing all your chips in..if you don't get the first you're in a lot of trouble with only 1 timeout left.

It sure seems odd to blow your 2nd to with that much time left against an anemic offense. Once he didn't like the fake and had to use a TO I felt he thought he had to go for it with only the one TO left.

Who knows...just thought I'd throw it out to see if anyone else thought the same. Love beating that guy.

Looked to me like the center wiggled the ball in an attempt to draw an offsides call against the Hawks. Didn't happen, hense the timeout.

Bret used his 2nd TO on that final 4th down as he didn't like the look for his fake punt attempt, correct? He wanted to relive Wisco 2010 but had to call the TO and go for it as we were playing a base D...KF had seen this before from Bert.

With 2 time outs and our struggles on offense I don't see why he'd call a TO if they were planning on punting with just under 4 minutes to play, we'd need two first downs to run out the clock and I don't see how likely that is backed up in the shadow of our own endzone.

He got owned this time....

Anyone else think the same?
I did in real time. If Ill-Annoy was going to punt there was no need for Bert to waste one of his two remaining timeouts.

If they weren’t going to fake the punt there was absolutely no reason to call a timeout there.

Exactly. If their intent was to punt, they would have been better off taking the delay of game penalty and keeping the timeout.

They intended to fake punt, didn't like something about Iowa's defense, and decided to run a straight-up offensive play.

That actually makes a lot of sense. It certainly explains why he would waste a TO in that situation.

Punting with two TOs would have been the right decision. After wasting the timeout like they did, then going for it was probably the right call. Not sure what he was thinking there. I don’t think he had a fake on.

I would have absolutely punted. As you said, everyone knows KF is running 3 straight up the middle. With 2 timeouts you'll get the ball near midfield with over 2 minutes left.

That's why I think it was a fake.

If he was initially planning on punting, why change your mind and use a timeout? You are essentially pushing all your chips in..if you don't get the first you're in a lot of trouble with only 1 timeout left.

It sure seems odd to blow your 2nd to with that much time left against an anemic offense. Once he didn't like the fake and had to use a TO I felt he thought he had to go for it with only the one TO left.

Who knows...just thought I'd throw it out to see if anyone else thought the same. Love beating that guy.
Your thinking makes sense but it seems the ILL offense was getting some easy pitch and catch passes in short yardage situations, like the one where DLee was playing 8 yards off on 3rd and 3, to go for a fake punt.

I was pretty sure at the time that they were going to fake it, just like in 2010

I absolutely believe BB had the fake punt called...
I also believe BB made 2 wrong decisions there..
it was just bad coaching..

my guess is that BB was starving for a cheeseburger and wanted the game over

KF would have punted and played defense and took his chances that way...

all they needed was a FG

Reactions: AlvySinger
My wife asked me, “He didn’t intentionally screw his team over did he?” Her knowing about the Iowa connection.

That’s how dumb his decisions were at the end.

Reactions: F5n5
I absolutely believe BB had the fake punt called...
I also believe BB made 2 wrong decisions there..
it was just bad coaching..

my guess is that BB was starving for a cheeseburger and wanted the game over

KF would have punted and played defense and took his chances that way...

all they needed was a FG
Mine, too!

Of course they were going to fake it. But the famous Ferentz memory is even better when it comes to negative events. They would NEVER allow Bret to do what he did to them ten years ago.

Bielema saw the Hawks were ready and called it off. The Ferentz Fear Factor prevailed.

I don't think he was eying a fake. I think he looked at clock again that said 3:45 with 2 timeouts, not 3, and the odds of Iowa getting the 1st down (or not), then the Tory Taylor field flip after.

They were down there pretty far, 20 or less?

Someone saw this and Bret decided this was it - simply an odds game & this was their drive they needed.

I think he probably was going to fake it. And our memory of the Wisconsin 2010 game is why we were prepared for it, and what forced the timeout.

We'll never know for sure. But I want to live in a world where we ultimately got revenge for that season-destroying play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT