ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking of joining a union…

BigAssTurkeyLeg

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2021
Anyone on here have experience in union work? I have been in the food industry as a cook most of my working life. I’m looking to join my local IBEW.

Anyone hear a union man/woman? If so what is your experience? Is it worth it to join a trade union?

I looked into it at one point with the goal of eventually owning my own plumbing company. I was at a weird point where I was ready to be done with corporate America. Benefits are outstanding, you have assured income. The problem is during your apprenticeship that income is like 35 grand and it last like 4 years. ( yes you make more each year but it isn't much). Union plumber or electrician would be a great gig for a 18 year old. By the time your 25 you are making decent money, with a pension, and by thr time your 40 you are damn near retired.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
If you are ok with corporate America screwing you over, by all mean don’t join a union.

Reactions: pjhawk
IBEW made me the master electrician I am today. No better training out there. I will never forget my union roots. Now, that being said, if you are an entrepreneur type, the union will only take you so far. If you’re ok working for someone else, you’re set. Otherwise, you will have to leave it at some point.

IBEW made me the master electrician I am today.
The only thing you’re a master of is bating.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Moral
I would always recommend joining the union. As a manager I never liked them, but I always recognized that management was more willing to compromise so that in the end, the unions won more than they lost. Union officials would probably say they deserved even more, but that‘s just the nature of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT