ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

I get the feeling that Ukraine has been told that it has one opportunity to get this spring offensive correct or the west will push for peace
I don’t think this at all. A stalemate doesn’t do the West any good.

Russia just needs to lose...

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukraine launched an investigation Wednesday into a gruesome video circulating on social media that purportedly shows the beheading of a Ukrainian soldier.

The video spread quickly online and sparked outrage from Ukrainian officials. The Kremlin called the footage “horrible” but said it needed to be verified.

The Associated Press was not able to verify the authenticity of the video or the circumstances of where and when it was shot.

Meanwhile, a Russian defense official claimed that fighters from Russia’s paramilitary Wagner group have seized three districts of Bakhmut, the embattled city that for months has been the focus of Moscow’s grinding campaign in the east.

The video circulating online appears to show a man in green fatigues wearing a yellow armband, typically donned by Ukrainian fighters. He is heard screeching before another man in camouflage uses a knife to decapitate him.

A third man holds up a flak jacket apparently belonging to the man being beheaded. All three men speak in Russian.

Since Russia’s forces invaded Ukraine more than a year ago, they have committed widespread abuses and alleged war crimes, according to the United Nations, rights groups and reporting by The Associated Press. Ukraine has repeatedly accused Russia of targeting apartment buildings in its strikes, and images of hundreds of civilians lying dead in the streets and in mass graves in Bucha after Russian forces withdrew have horrified the world.

In general I will believe every bad rumor about Russia, but this doesn’t seem like a Russian thing. Maybe a Chechen thing, or a Wagner thing.

Every time I see Russia digging trenches I think of the stories about rounding up convicts and hunting down conscripts. I think if the stories about massive supply issues. I wonder who is going to man those trenches, and defend them with what? My big hope is that Ukraine will find a spot that they can punch through a mine field and roll through some conscripts who will surrender by the thousands, just like they did last Summer and Fall when Ukraine drove on them.

In general I will believe every bad rumor about Russia, but this doesn’t seem like a Russian thing. Maybe a Chechen thing, or a Wagner thing.
It’s Wagner. Andrei Medvedev identified the guys.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard of the Ghost Army. Thanks!
You might also enjoy
Bodyguard_of_Lies.png

Officials in Kyiv are pounding their fists over leaked U.S. intelligence that downplays Ukraine’s ability to recapture seized territory from Russia this spring.

Senior Ukrainian officials are particularly incensed by a “top secret” assessment from February suggesting Ukraine would make only “modest territorial gains” from its planned operation. The Washington Post, which reported the document on Monday, said it was part of the growing leak of classified U.S. intelligence on the war in Ukraine, China, Israel and other global hotspots.

Kyiv says the document shows the U.S. is once again underestimating its military’s capabilities.

“The same people who said Kyiv would fall in three days are now leaking harmful and equally ridiculous information ahead of an offensive critically important for the entire free world,” said a person in regular contact with senior officials in Kyiv.
“There are some people who continue to be hesitant” about Ukraine’s military chances in the counteroffensive, a Ukrainian defense official said, “but we’ve proved everybody wrong.” The projections of Ukraine’s chances are “not the truth,” this official continued. “It gives us grounds for suspicion” of just how seriously the U.S. backs Ukraine’s objectives of fully pushing Russia out of the country.
That sentiment is widespread within the Ukrainian government, per another person with similar high-level contacts in Kyiv. All three people were granted anonymity to detail sensitive internal deliberations in Ukraine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT