ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

The other scenario is the probing force finds resistance, pulls back, and then waits for heavy weapons/reinforcements to arrive.

I wouldn't stick a fork in any confrontation too early.

Right? I mean, long term, the numbers and resources alone means Russian prevails given enough time.

Of course...see Vietnam, Afghanistan...sometimes there just isn't enough time.

When you finally get to embrace her...
FMFcJVXXsAECp_Q

I'm loving this threat, BTW. Great stuff.

Thanks...obviously, I won't be able to keep updating it around the clock...

For other people adding posts and who may find this thread later and add to it (I hope)...the basic premise is updates around the events and development of the invasion itself, and comments/discussion thereof.

Not really about political commentary/debate, should be able to find that elsewhere on HROT. I hear there's politics discussed on here from time to time.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but what happens when/if Putin wins the battle? I would think there are enough dissidents/underground resistance that a permanent occupation by Russia will be extremely difficult. Putin can't afford to keep 200k troops in Ukraine for infinity. This fightback by Ukraine could last many years at a high cost to Putin.
This i why I’m still suprised Putin actually pulled the trigger here. Had to be convinced they could sweep the board and take the capital quickly. Still might happen, only day 2, but the longer Ukrainian resistance continues the worse it becomes for Putin.

The other scenario is the probing force finds resistance, pulls back, and then waits for heavy weapons/reinforcements to arrive.

I wouldn't stick a fork in any confrontation too early.
Exactly, could just be a team of cav scouts making contact and mapping out enemy positions.

When the U.S. invaded Iraq in 2003 it was about three weeks before we moved on Bagdad (~400 miles from the jump off in Kuwait).

This i why I’m still suprised Putin actually pulled the trigger here. Had to be convinced they could sweep the board and take the capital quickly. Still might happen, only day 2, but the longer Ukrainian resistance continues the worse it becomes for Putin.
He threatened he could take Kiev in 'two weeks' back in 2014.

Remember this?
Monday, March 31, 2003
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The U.S. war plan has "failed," veteran war correspondent Peter Arnett told Iraqi TV in an interview that aired Sunday.
"The first war plan has failed because of Iraqi resistance. Now they are trying to write another war plan," Arnett said. "Clearly, the American war planners misjudged the determination of the Iraqi forces."

Reactions: Nole Lou
Right? I mean, long term, the numbers and resources alone means Russian prevails given enough time.

Of course...see Vietnam, Afghanistan...sometimes there just isn't enough time.
I don't know about that. If their offensive gets bogged down, they'll create a meat-grinder situation which will pretty much kill the "peacekeeper" angle. Then they're just stuck in someone else's back yard trying to hang on. That is not a historical strength of the Russia military.

Reactions: Nole Lou
It'd be a shame if some Ukrainian "rebels" got a fastboat and a few stingers and got within range of Putin's Black Sea palace....
What is a heat seeking SAM going to do to Putin's Black Sea palace?

TOWs, like Obama was somehow getting into the hands of jihadists in Syria, would be a more suitable weapon for that occasion.

If Russia moves south to Lviv, and then to the Moldavian (constitutionally neutral) border Ukraine is geographically isolated from NATO reinforcement.
I would presume that's the aim if the Russians are doing anything that far west.
Doubtful they would invade Poland....at least at this point. Likely an action to prevent military aid from slipping across.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT