ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

Fact remains…he waited over a year after Trump left.

Seems to me it would have much smarter to invade while his “stooge” was in office. A no brainer.
You're right, but maybe Covid delayed the situation? Maybe all the preparations for the invasion weren't ready at the time. I can't imagine all that needed to happen economically in preparation for the incoming sanctions. Putin also probably wanted to see if his Ukrainian coup attempt would work.

If Putin invades before the American election or coup attempt it puts a huge dent in the chances for re-election or coup attempt as Trumps popularity was already low AF.

Last edited:
You're right, but maybe Covid delayed the situation? Maybe all the preparations for the invasion weren't ready at the time. I can't imagine all that needed to happen economically in preparation for the incoming sanctions. If Putin invades before the election or coup attempt it puts a huge dent in the chances for re-election or coup attempt as Trumps popularity was already low AF.
It’s all speculation. Maybe Putin just believed their intel and thought Ukraine was a soft target. Maybe he just miscalculated big time.

Might be as simple as that

I don’t agree with that…Putin was going to invade no matter the President. For whatever reason he decided it was time.
If it was ever going to have a chance of success it had to happen before NATO membership.
After the September declarations from the WH Putin saw that window closing.
They pressed for a multi-party treaty to guarantee Ukrainian neutrality and were told to pound sand, so they pounded Ukraine instead.

Former Russian ambassador and current CIA Director cable from 2008:

FNAlT8BXMAAkyst

I think he was banking on NATO/EU disunity because he thought he had them by the balls with their oil/Lng reliance
I also think his intel/military miscalculated bigly in regards to the Ukraine military and he bought it
Completely underestimated Ukrainian will and strength, and completely overestimated Russian capacity.
Aside from grinding forward in the Donbass under artillery superiority they've been in reverse everywhere since mid-March.
EU is still gonna get fooked in this deal.
Germans and French understood pushing Ukrainian membership for NATO was likely to end up with a war, and so they sought to avoid it.
Question is, do we assume the neocons were naïve about this outcome, or desired this outcome. After the coup I used to think the former, but after they immediately pressed again when they came back in power I can't help but think this is exactly what they wanted.
If you were among the PNAC crowd this has been the best possible outcome.

Reactions: Madman_1
I don’t agree with that…Putin was going to invade no matter the President. For whatever reason he decided it was time.

I think he was banking on NATO/EU disunity because he thought he had them by the balls with their oil/Lng reliance

I also think his intel/military miscalculated bigly in regards to the Ukraine military and he bought it
The intel group was wrong on pro russia sentiment. Not sure what they thought of ukraine military but i know a person involved in training and planning their defense and the uk military was pretty stout. Poland and romania are top level.

Reactions: h-hawk
It’s all speculation. Maybe Putin just believed their intel and thought Ukraine was a soft target. Maybe he just miscalculated big time.

Might be as simple as that
I think we are going to see a lot of stories about dead or imprisoned officers soon enough. Putin is a megalomaniacal idiot, but he was also fed rosy information. I also think nobody in Russia knew just how rotten with corruption their military has become, and how grievously their readiness and operational capacity had been affected.

Why are you such f ucking piece of shit? Why do you constantly lie and distort the truth of such basic facts such as an Iranian backed and armed Shiite (30% of Yemens population) insurgency that invaded and pushed the Sunni (70% population) majority governnment out of the capital, disrupting and destroying basic human services and food supply in the process, killing thousands? That same Saudi-backed government is UN recognized as the legitimate, fairly elected government of Yemen. All you do on this site is repeat pro-Russian and pro-Iranian anti-American and anti-democratic propaganda that are blatant lies designed to bolster fascist and authoritarian regimes. Be careful. If things keep going this badly for your motherland, you might get recalled into service in an active unit and conscripted into being cannon fodder to hold the line in Crimea.

057dfe195dd1b207ee4e5777ac3b345b.gif

If they captured him, it’s incredible.
Can't really be sure of the mole on his face, but unless it is just horrible jpg artifacting the ear looks different. At the bottom, above the lobe, the captured guys ear seems smooth where the clearerer pic of the general has a ridge.

Ka6wSmw.png

I hope it is the general alleged, just to see how Moscow tries to spin it.

This is incredible news if it is confirmed. Throughout the war we've been told about high ranking officers having to be closer to the lines than you'd see in Western armies. Well, if true this guy was pinched off behind Ukrainian lines.
Just how far have the lines moved, and how fast are the Ukrainians moving them? If this is in fact a Lt. General, and he was trying to escape by hiding his identity, the Russians must be near collapsing, at least in some pockets.

Can't really be sure of the mole on his face, but unless it is just horrible jpg artifacting the ear looks different. At the bottom, above the lobe, the captured guys ear seems smooth where the clearerer pic of the general has a ridge.

Ka6wSmw.png

I hope it is the general alleged, just to see how Moscow tries to spin it.
that can be explained by low res photo, but the nose on the captured is completely different. Downturned/beak-ish on the gen. Not so on the prisoner.

"Pierced from the Russian front in the region of #Kharkov ! 2000 to 4000 Ukrainian soldiers broke through the front near Kharkov! Russian forces are withdrawing for the time being"

"9/9) Ukrainian forces conduct a so far successful counter-offensive towards #Kharkiv . With, according to observers, "support from the local population", the armed forces advanced nearly 50 km in just 3 days. (via #Ukraine War Map)"

These (auf1 155) are actually self propelled howitzers. Could not find verification of this donation but it may have just been announced.

"The #France will soon deliver AUF1 155 tanks, AMX 10RC armored vehicles and TRF1 guns to Ukraine! The rest of the abandoned AMX30s could also be given away."

More captured munitions.

"recognizing that the Russian army #Russia had many real weapons, they withdrew and left their weapons everywhere. The number of clips on the internet must be more than 10 stores. This is just a counterattack in a small city."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT