ADVERTISEMENT

This should concern all the well-heeled members of GIAHORT....

You were going to make a due process argument. Or is it equal protection argument? Rich people a protected class?

The right of all persons to have the same access to the law and courts and to be treated equally by the law and courts, both in procedures and in the substance of the law. It is akin to the right to due process of law, but in particular applies to equal treatment as an element of fundamental fairness.

And no... apparently rich people are a targeted class under this administration.

bad-seinfeld.gif

The IRS has a yearly conference where they have breakouts of agents studying and discussing the massive tax fraud endemic in the HR community. Strategies are agreed upon to combat this lucrative tax avoidance scheme that permeates the corporate HR managerial masses.
Trad knows that the jig is up.
Trad is a lot of things.....including a “smart man”, right? ;)

Reactions: billanole
The right of all persons to have the same access to the law and courts and to be treated equally by the law and courts, both in procedures and in the substance of the law. It is akin to the right to due process of law, but in particular applies to equal treatment as an element of fundamental fairness.

And no... apparently rich people are a targeted class under this administration.
You can hire enough agents to chase 250 inner city fraudsters who underpaid an average $1K in taxes, or one agent to chase the $250K cheat. ROI, baby.
It bottles the mind how many working people are OK with rich people cheating big time vs working folks chiseling a bit. Talk about a wierd discrimination…

Are you just forgetting the part that they are past due $250K in taxes? This is actually smart on their part because these are the people that have the ability to pay their debt. I would think you'd agree with this strategy.

Edit: nm, I must be new around here if I thought that

Are you just forgetting the part that they are past due $250K in taxes? This is actually smart on their part because these are the people that have the ability to pay their debt. I would think you'd agree with this strategy.
Yep, why should the IRS chase folks with no ability to pay? Go for the guy with assets who won’t play by the rules.
ROI, baby.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael

How so? Is the IRS suppose to actively audit poor people too?🤣

Reactions: billanole

So much bullshit, Trad!
The “rich” might be targets because they are the ones who are “jobbing” the system and have the resources to do so? The IRS is asking for an equal playing field to fight these tax cheats.
Those rich bastards are the reason my tax bill is as high as it is! The Orange Turd has made tax scams and tax fraud the new national pastime for the rich and wealthy.

The IRS says they owe $250,000 but that may not be true.

Ahh, now it is clear.
Trad‘s company is getting audited and a primary focus is the last seven year’s worth of expense accounts.

Last edited:
True. But you are required to provide “documentation” in case of an IRS inquiry. Legit paperwork satisfies being accurate in the vast majority of cases.

My experiences with the IRS is they are required to point out mistakes...and apply the law. Unless the fileris intentionally trying to defraud (cheat) the tax code, there is nothing to really be concerned about....other than a guilty conscience.
Yes. I always keep 7 years worth of files and I never stress when I press that button because I know I'm doing the best I can (which is essentially just answering the Turbo Tax questions).

Reactions: Kelsers
Yes. I always keep 7 years worth of files and I never stress when I press that button because I know I'm doing the best I can (which is essentially just answering the Turbo Tax questions).
Doing ur best is all that is expected….there are a lot of folks who are doing their best to defraud and cheat the tax man, too.
I had a “dispute” with the IRS 3 years ago that took damn near a year to settle (a really simple math error the IRS could have corrected by turning the page on my return…my tax guy told me “in the old days” (10 years ago when the IRS wa staffed) he could gave phone called the agent and had the matter corrected in 10 minutes….that is what this personnel shortage causes… poor level of customer service..Congress needs to make sure the IRS is properly staffed…

Should they not scrutinize people who take the EITC credit even though there is massive fraud? Or what about examining PPP loans? And in the near future, people claiming the Employee Retention Tax Credit which is being advertised daily on your TV and radio.
How's that for the near future?

IRS getting it done

The Internal Revenue Service has collected $160 million in back taxes this year by cracking down on millionaires who haven’t paid what they owe, the agency said Friday.

The recent effort to target high-income individuals has been boosted by an increase in federal funding provided by Democrats last year through the Inflation Reduction Act. Republicans have criticized the amount of money the IRS is getting, and future funding is uncertain.

In September, the IRS started seeking back taxes from about 1,600 taxpayers with income above $1 million and more than $250,000 in tax debt. So far, the IRS has closed 100 of those cases, collecting $122 million, it said Friday.

Reactions: RileyHawk
You can hire enough agents to chase 250 inner city fraudsters who underpaid an average $1K in taxes, or one agent to chase the $250K cheat. ROI, baby.
It bottles the mind how many working people are OK with rich people cheating big time vs working folks chiseling a bit. Talk about a wierd discrimination…
Those people have been told by the rich and powerful that the rich and powerful are victims. And they buy it.

The country is littered with dupes.

IRS getting it done

The Internal Revenue Service has collected $160 million in back taxes this year by cracking down on millionaires who haven’t paid what they owe, the agency said Friday.

The recent effort to target high-income individuals has been boosted by an increase in federal funding provided by Democrats last year through the Inflation Reduction Act. Republicans have criticized the amount of money the IRS is getting, and future funding is uncertain.

In September, the IRS started seeking back taxes from about 1,600 taxpayers with income above $1 million and more than $250,000 in tax debt. So far, the IRS has closed 100 of those cases, collecting $122 million, it said Friday.
Again, I ask...why not collect taxes from folks who make the money? If you were looking for water, would you be searching for it in the desert?

Reactions: torbee
IRS getting it done

Let’s hope the people in Washington D. C. spend it wisely.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The IRS announced on Friday it is launching an effort to aggressively pursue 1,600 millionaires and 75 large business partnerships that owe hundreds of millions of dollars in past due taxes.

IRS Commissioner Daniel Werfel said that with a boost in federal funding and the help of artificial intelligence tools, the agency has new means of targeting wealthy people who have “cut corners” on their taxes.

“If you pay your taxes on time it should be particularly frustrating when you see that wealthy filers are not,” Werfel told reporters in a call previewing the announcement. He said 1,600 millionaires who owe at least $250,000 each in back taxes and 75 large business partnerships that have assets of roughly $10 billion on average are targeted for the new “compliance efforts.”

Werfel said a massive hiring effort and AI research tools developed by IRS employees and contractors are playing a big role in identifying wealthy tax dodgers. The agency is making an effort to showcase positive results from its burst of new funding under President Joe Biden’s Democratic administration as Republicans in Congress look to claw back some of that money.

“New tools are helping us see patterns and trends that we could not see before, and as a result, we have higher confidence on where to look and find where large partnerships are shielding income,” he said.

In July, IRS leadership said it collected $38 million in delinquent taxes from more than 175 high-income taxpayers in the span of a few months. Now, the agency will scale up that effort, Werfel said.

“The IRS will have dozens of revenue officers focused on these high-end collection cases in fiscal year 2024,” he said.

A team of academic economists and IRS researchers in 2021 found that the top 1% of U.S. income earners fail to report more than 20% of their earnings to the IRS.

The newly announced tax collection effort will begin as soon as October. “We have more hiring to do,” Werfel said. “It’s going to be a very busy fall for us.”

Grover Norquist, who heads the conservative Americans for Tax Reform, said the IRS’ plan to pursue high wealth individuals does not preclude the IRS from eventually pursuing middle-income Americans for audits down the road.

“This power and these resources allow them to go after anyone they want,” he said. “The next step is to go after anyone they wish to target for political purposes.”

Senate Finance Committee Chair Ron Wyden, D-Ore., said the IRS’ new plan is a “big deal” that “represents a fresh approach to taking on sophisticated tax cheats.”

“This action goes to the heart of Democrats’ effort to ensure the wealthiest are paying their fair share,” he said in a statement.

David Williams, at the right-leaning, nonprofit Taxpayers Protection Alliance, said “every business and every person should pay their taxes — full stop.” However, “I just hope this isn’t used as a justification to hire thousands of new agents,” that would audit Americans en masse, he said.

The federal tax collector gained the enhanced ability to identify tax delinquents with resources provided by the Inflation Reduction Act, which Biden signed into law in August of 2022. The agency was in line for an $80 billion infusion under the law, but that money is vulnerable to potential cutbacks by Congress.

House Republicans built a $1.4 billion reduction to the IRS into the debt ceiling and budget cuts package passed by Congress this summer. The White House said the debt deal also has a separate agreement to take $20 billion from the IRS over the next two years and divert that money to other non-defense programs.

With the threat of a government shutdown looming in a dispute over spending levels, there is the potential for additional cuts to the agency.

To save the IRS time, just have them send all their money owed to my account.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT