ADVERTISEMENT

Thomas Gilman

The Vak

HR All-American
Jan 25, 2002
66cd16e5-8462-4d39-a658-0bd31df432b4_text.gif

I was...unprepared for the onslaught of emotions I felt at the end of match 2.

I've never not been a fan of his. He was the same guy at PSU he was at Iowa..he just wasn't on my team anymore.

Personalities like Thomas Gilman are what made wrestling appealing to me. Others like it for other reasons I understand.

He was a joy to follow. A hardhead for sure. I loved it.

Not sure why people are jumping to the conclusion that Gilman is done.

I doubt he does another Olympic cycle, he is 29 after all, but I can see him making a run and challenging Vito at 61kg next year.
They are having a non Olympic weight championships this year. I think the US spot qualification takes place in a month or so.

Reactions: MilleGinja
Not sure why people are jumping to the conclusion that Gilman is done.

I doubt he does another Olympic cycle, he is 29 after all, but I can see him making a run and challenging Vito at 61kg next year.
Because in his interview yesterday he said he was not sure if he was going compete at the trials or continue to compete at all. continue

They are having a non Olympic weight championships this year. I think the US spot qualification takes place in a month or so.
I believe in 2021 they still had world championships for Olympic weights and Gilman won his gold. Maybe that was just because it was 2021 and not 2020. The previous cycle I think it was just non-Olympic weights where Steiber got his. That’s said, my memory is not what it once was so anyone feel free to clarify/correct me.

I only want Gilman to stick around because I've always wanted to see him and DeSanto face off once. I'm sure Gilman wins comfortably, but they are among my favorites in the black and gold (along with Spencer of course) so it'd be a fun dream match of alumni.

I think all the supposed hate and animosity is driven up by the fans. In reality these athletes all respect each other for the most part. They put too much energy into wrestling to waste any with hating their opponents/rivals.

Reactions: Sett1997 and eb05
I’m glad SL won, but it seems like Gilman has grown immensely as a human being. I cheered for him as a Hawk, but he was immature in those years and did a lot of things that weren’t a great look for him or the UofI. It seems like he has grown and I am really glad to see that for him. Would have been happy for him to represent USA if he won and both matches were closer than appearance. Don’t care if he is wrestling for NLWC, he is always a Hawk.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
if he really has changed , then better retire, because that little bit of being an a$$ was an edge that he used.

And he was tweeting like a PSU fanboy throughout the entire NCAA tournament.

I’m glad he showed a lot of humility and respect this weekend, but it’s going to take more than that for him to suck me back into being a fan of his.
He’s loyal to the team he’s on. He’s in the room with those guys every day of course he’s going to cheer them on.

And he was tweeting like a PSU fanboy throughout the entire NCAA tournament.

I’m glad he showed a lot of humility and respect this weekend, but it’s going to take more than that for him to suck me back into being a fan of his.

That's the way I see it. A couple comments in an interview isn't enough to be convinced his core personality has changed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT