ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from Ames

DogBoyRy

HB Legend
Jul 28, 2006
ISCCU did a nice job in that south end zone. Iowa should do the same to the North. Get rid of the NB area and then nice add nice club section. Would probably increase revenue if done right.
We've faced two bad olines. Our secondary looked a lot better especially cb's with 7 db's and deep help.
That might be one of the more athletic ISU teams we've faced except for Oline.
I thought Richardson looked a little woosy in the second half. Maybe he was just frustrated.
How can ISU manage to give real time top 25, conference and baseball scores, even video from games n progress when our idiots can't figure it out.
Jack Trice tailgating has improved 1000% thanks to Pollard and ISU's admin. To bad our "leaders" have their heads in the sand.
Like him or not Pollard is kicking Bartas butt in alot of the stuff that counts to fans.

Reactions: Hawk Supreme
Like I said in another thread - it's time to end, or significantly reduce, the series with ISU. Iowa gains very little nationally from beating ISU, but garners all kinds of "guff" when losing to the cyclowns. Why should Iowa financially support ISU? If the series must continue, let's play 2 out of 3 years in Kinnick and take the 4th year off. I can imagine that ISU would balk at this proposal, but so what. If Iowa AD said "take it or leave it", they would likely begrudgingly take it. If not, too bad, with only 3 non-conference games in the future, Iowa can certainly find a replacement from another geographical area that would also enhance Iowa's recruiting base.

Like I said in another thread - it's time to end, or significantly reduce, the series with ISU. Iowa gains very little nationally from beating ISU, but garners all kinds of "guff" when losing to the cyclowns. Why should Iowa financially support ISU? If the series must continue, let's play 2 out of 3 years in Kinnick and take the 4th year off. I can imagine that ISU would balk at this proposal, but so what. If Iowa AD said "take it or leave it", they would likely begrudgingly take it. If not, too bad, with only 3 non-conference games in the future, Iowa can certainly find a replacement from another geographical area that would also enhance Iowa's recruiting base.

Need some hard facts/numbers on the old Iowa argument of supporting ISU. I also doubt ISU would agree to anything but home/home and would simply look elsewhere for home/home series. I think Mizzou, Nebby and Minny would be the ones to approach first.

Need some hard facts/numbers on the old Iowa argument of supporting ISU. I also doubt ISU would agree to anything but home/home and would simply look elsewhere for home/home series. I think Mizzou, Nebby and Minny would be the ones to approach first.
would love to dump the hawks for a rotation of kneebraska and U of M

With the nine game big ten schedule coming up, I'd like to see us do the ISU game every other year. It's a good rivalry to keep going, but i want some other home and homes. If the only power 5 conference teams we will ever see are ISU and big ten teams....that needs to change.

Of course not...it would be a mutual decision.

They dump us, we dump them... who cares? Just as long as someone dumps someone.

As has been said here before, this game does not benefit Iowa. If we lose, we look like dogshit, and if we win well, we were supposed to win anyway.

It would be nice to free that game up to play some better Power 5 teams.

Reactions: lenoxhawks
Cap'n Kirk looked pretty misty from getting a victory over ole ISU - looks like it meant a lot to him. I'm guessing he doesn't realize how big of a deal Iowa is nationally...

Reactions: Hawk Supreme
This has developed into a highly competitive rivalry. Home and home is good for both schools. Hawks need to play in that type of hostile atmosphere. It is also great to keep the money instate. Play one cupcake, ISU and one power 5 plus 9 conference games.

Reactions: uniFIGHTuniFIGHT
This has developed into a highly competitive rivalry. Home and home is good for both schools. Hawks need to play in that type of hostile atmosphere. It is also great to keep the money instate. Play one cupcake, ISU and one power 5 plus 9 conference games.

Agreed. I saw something posted by a Cyclone fan (can't remember if it was here or on CF) which I agreed with. I hate Iowa losing to ISU more than any other team on the schedule, but there are games on the schedule I'd much rather Iowa win. You know who quits playing rivals just because they might lose? Losers.

This game was nationally televised on Fox after the Yankees.

Right?

Agreed. I saw something posted by a Cyclone fan (can't remember if it was here or on CF) which I agreed with. I hate Iowa losing to ISU more than any other team on the schedule, but there are games on the schedule I'd much rather Iowa win. You know who quits playing rivals just because they might lose? Losers.

This.

Basically. ISU needs Iowa more than Iowa needs ISU.

They'd be fine without us. Doesn't mean they'd become a great program, but they're also in a good conference and have a nice home schedule to sell and they'd have an opportunity to replace us with another P5 team. Our recruiting mostly just overlaps with ISU here in Iowa with the handful of D1 recruits that are homegrown and with a few kids in neighboring states. It's not like they'd be missing out on the chance to sell recruits on the Iowa game.

That said, I want the series to continue. 1 bad mid-major program, Iowa State, 1 interesting home&home with another P5 school from a part of the country we don't visit often.

Cap'n Kirk looked pretty misty from getting a victory over ole ISU - looks like it meant a lot to him. I'm guessing he doesn't realize how big of a deal Iowa is nationally...

What meant a lot was his team dealing with thr adversity of a former great Hawkeyes' death and still finding a way to win the football game.

Leave it to a skirt fan to act like a douche.

You probably saw me make that comment. It's exactly how I feel about the game. It's a relief when you win, but agonizing when you lose.

Agreed. I saw something posted by a Cyclone fan (can't remember if it was here or on CF) which I agreed with. I hate Iowa losing to ISU more than any other team on
the schedule, but there are games on the schedule I'd much rather Iowa win. You know who quits playing rivals just because they might lose? Losers.
They are *NOT* our rival - we are theirs.
I find it disgusting that the loser mentality of ISU is so contagious!

To the poster who said they need hard/fast numbers to support that Iowa vs. ISU games help financially benefit ISU. It's common sense - just look at attendance #'s when ISU plays another in-state school (UNI or Iowa) vs an out-of-state non-conference team. Do you think the stands would have been full yesterday if ISU was playing, for example - Ball State, or another MAC team?

I also knew someone would bring up the "loser mentality" for wanting to drop this series - that's why I posted it after a Hawkeye win. It's a matter of $ and sense and not wanting to support another in-state D1 program. ISU certainly does need Iowa more than Iowa needs ISU.

To the poster who said they need hard/fast numbers to support that Iowa vs. ISU games help financially benefit ISU. It's common sense - just look at attendance #'s when ISU plays another in-state school (UNI or Iowa) vs an out-of-state non-conference team. Do you think the stands would have been full yesterday if ISU was playing, for example - Ball State, or another MAC team?

I also knew someone would bring up the "loser mentality" for wanting to drop this series - that's why I posted it after a Hawkeye win. It's a matter of $ and sense and not wanting to support another in-state D1 program. ISU certainly does need Iowa more than Iowa needs ISU.

It is also common sense that UNI or ISU will fill up Kinnick, let's say, versus Illinois State. See where I'm going here? I doubt an every other year stadium at capacity versus 80-85% capacity would make or break either program considering the current revenue from TV contracts the P5 leagues enjoy. So NO, Iowa nor Iowa State need each other, but common sense says 2 P5 teams from a small population state should probably play the damn game unless a riot results. And Iowans probably won't riot over a game...now, if you serve warm beer and tough ribs at the tailgate it could happen:)

This game was nationally televised on Fox after the Yankees.

Right?
It was televised nationally at the end of the Yankee game, but a number of stations left the baseball game to do the entire football game. The Iowa stations, of course, but my buddy the Hawkeye fan in Cincinnati got the whole thing. Maybe it's a Big Ten territory kind of decision. OTOH, my inlaws in Wichita missed the first quarter because of baseball.

In any case, the point is that it was scheduled as a national telecast. Had the baseball game not gone into extra innings, every Fox station in the country would have been carrying it from the start.

It is also common sense that UNI or ISU will fill up Kinnick, let's say, versus Illinois State. See where I'm going here? I doubt an every other year stadium at capacity versus 80-85% capacity would make or break either program considering the current revenue from TV contracts the P5 leagues enjoy. So NO, Iowa nor Iowa State need each other, but common sense says 2 P5 teams from a small population state should probably play the damn game unless a riot results. And Iowans probably won't riot over a game...now, if you serve warm beer and tough ribs at the tailgate it could happen:)

Not going to do the math but a 100% paid attendance game at $90 a pop vs 90% full at $50 is a chunk of change. Not a program breaker but a decent amount.

I heard some ISU fans jabbing at this as well.

Really, how dense do you have to be to know the circumstances surrounding the game?

Maybe a slight pass to ol' sker here, but douchey nonetheless.

I used to be in the corner of those saying to drop the series, but you know what, this is a pretty good rivalry. And I was highly emotional watching the game, with both the ups and downs, so it obviously meant a lot to me, more than just another W in the books.

Reactions: StatisticsLie
Of course ISU makes a lot of money from the Iowa game. And Iowa makes a lot of money from the ISU game. IIRC, the only game Iowa has sold out in the last few years was ISU, and Iowa charges a premium for the ticket.

Is it more important financially to ISU than to Iowa? Sure. It makes up a bigger percentage of the budget because (a) it brings in more money, and (b) the budget is much smaller.

But the idea that canceling the game would cripple, or even badly hurt, ISU financially is laughable. We heard the same thing when Nebraska left the Big XII. All you have to do is look at ticket sales/attendance for years when neither team played in Ames....and that's despite having a bad team. Last year ticket sales were among the best in history for ISU, with a team coming off a 3-9 season and with no Nebraska, UNI or Iowa on the home schedule.

As a Cyclone fan, I agree it is a good rivalry. Both universities have a lot to be proud of and this is a day to show case that to the nation. Over 100,000 people tailgating and a sold out stadium makes for good TV. Sucks to be on the loosing end, but there is always next year.

Reactions: JRich52806
Its a neat game but doesn't benefit Iowa at all compared to ISU. For that I would be for us either not continuing the series or have it be 2 for 1 at Kinnick.

I used to be in the corner of those saying to drop the series, but you know what, this is a pretty good rivalry. And I was highly emotional watching the game, with both the ups and downs, so it obviously meant a lot to me, more than just another W in the books.
Agree with all of this, however, until isu can be considered even a middle of the pack program it truly is a no win situation for Iowa. What good is it to beat a 2-10 team? On the flip side, losing to a 2-10 team? isu needs to get their house in order.

They are *NOT* our rival - we are theirs.
I find it disgusting that the loser mentality of ISU is so contagious!

What a dumb assertion.

Throughout the State, every day this week, people discussed this game, it was covered in more papers than any other, people wore their colors more than for any other.

We are definitely rivals. Unless you have invented some other definition...this is HR after all...

Reactions: herkster8
The arrogance of Iowa fans amuses me. This isn't 1985 and the program is far from what it once was, and quite frankly, never shall return to again. In modern times (Since 2000) the series is tied at 8-8. Not really seeing a big brother getting any traction here.

Reactions: TazKB
The arrogance of Iowa fans amuses me. This isn't 1985 and the program is far from what it once was, and quite frankly, never shall return to again. In modern times (Since 2000) the series is tied at 8-8. Not really seeing a big brother getting any traction here.

Why do clone fans always go to the selective time frame for their arguments?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT