ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from Ames

ISU's basketball team (under Hoiberg) was above average. Barely. Definitely not elite. Two second rounds, one sweet 16 and one bounce in the first round. It's a little above average. Not much. They didn't win anything. Conference Tournaments don't count in my opinion.

Wait, so there are levels between mediocre and elite?

You are wasting your time with this one. He thinks that being number 50 is much more significant than being number 100......not realizing the cutoff for significant exposure and a national player is 1 - 10. He still is obsessed with being the tallest midget.

No, being 25 out of 125 is much better than 122 out of 125 but clone fans can't quite grasp the obvious.

Feel free to tell us how it really is though.

Last edited:
In a pool of 125 there isn't much difference between #50 and #100? Genius at work here fellas, 'hey rock star I want to give you a raise from 100k to 200k' genius 'nah, there really isn't much of a difference between the two, I will stay at 100k'

Some help here, who has referred to Iowa as 'elite' in this thread?

Iowa 6-5 in KF era in bowl games. 3 game losing streak right now in them. And yes two conf titles

Kirk, who admitted this past off-season he needed to re dedicate himself to the program, has accomplished more in 17 years than ISU has in its history. Was that your point?

Any suggestion of a 2 for 1 deal will get you laughed all the way to the parking lot unless it is ISU demanding 2 games at Trice to 1 at Kinnick. I am in agreement to stopping the series as ISU gains nothing but revenue every 2 years..... And we are just fine financially.

The idea that ISU is going to demand anything from any Power 5 team is delusional. Being generous, there might be 5 Power 5 programs less relevant than ISU.

There's going to be 4 conferences of 16 teams eventually. I said it the first time the Big 12 almost imploded. ISU needs to be proactive and find a home. And I'm not an ISU hater either. The argument about this is ridiculous based on history alone. Iowa is well above average. They certainly haven't beat many SEC teams since 2008 when they ounded South Carolina, and they certainly haven't been a BCS team since 2009, but these things do ebb and flow.

ISU has a much improved football team this year. And a lot of both fan bases won't define a rivalry game as exactly what it is. Where strange tings happen, and often time the underdog wins. And it is a rivalry.

Also very true is the argument about Iowa having to play 9 B1G games. And it will remain one of our OOC P5 games will be ISU. And when we lose, the rest of the country won't understand that is is fairly common in this series. As it really is in a lot of rivalry series. And they won't understand it is a tough game notwithstanding the ultimate results of either team.

The idea that ISU is going to demand anything from any Power 5 team is delusional. Being generous, there might be 5 Power 5 programs less relevant than ISU.
But of of those 6 teams only one hasn't won a conference championship since 1911.

Bart-dancing.gif

There's going to be 4 conferences of 16 teams eventually. I said it the first time the Big 12 almost imploded. ISU needs to be proactive and find a home. And I'm not an ISU hater either. The argument about this is ridiculous based on history alone. Iowa is well above average. They certainly haven't beat many SEC teams since 2008 when they ounded South Carolina, and they certainly haven't been a BCS team since 2009, but these things do ebb and flow.

ISU has a much improved football team this year. And a lot of both fan bases won't define a rivalry game as exactly what it is. Where strange tings happen, and often time the underdog wins. And it is a rivalry.

Also very true is the argument about Iowa having to play 9 B1G games. And it will remain one of our OOC P5 games will be ISU. And when we lose, the rest of the country won't understand that is is fairly common in this series. As it really is in a lot of rivalry series. And they won't understand it is a tough game notwithstanding the ultimate results of either team.
I'm curious what you mean by "be proactive and find a home." Seriously. I found very little in your post with which to disagree, and certainly nothing offensive. But I wonder what you think ISU could/should be doing.

Realistically, ISU is in an excellent position now. It's getting more conference money than was imaginable in the past, and benefits from an excellent TV contract. I think the TV payout per school in the Big XII right now is better than the BiG, although that certainly will change when the latter negotiates its new contracts.

I liked the old Big Eight and am sorry everything changed. But the bottom line for the Cyclones now is considerably better than it was in those days. And it's one hell of a lot better than anyone would have predicted. If I'd been told 20 years ago that the conferences were going to do a radical shakeup, with Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado going elsewhere, I would not have expected ISU to come out of the carnage smelling like a rose, but that's what happened.

It may not survive the next round. ISU is isolated and doesn't bring anything to a power conference that makes it particularly attractive. All-around good athletics program, yes; good fan support, yes; good facilities, yes; good academics, yes; but no TV sets and no football tradition, no recruiting territory, no geographical proximity to anything. Of all the current power conferences, the best fit for ISU obviously is the BiG, but ISU brings absolutely nothing to that league it doesn't already have with Iowa.

Pollard and the others in charge know this, and a lot more, of course. Jamie has been pretty sharp in this regard. I have no doubt he's exploring every possibility. But the fact remains that if Texas and Oklahoma bail out, the other schools are going to have a problem -- hell, that would make Trice the biggest football stadium in the conference!

I would think if that were to happen, we might see the remaining schools get together with BYU, Colorado State, maybe Louisville and/or Memphis. But there wouldn't be a "name" school in the bunch.

It's certainly NOT "laughable" (as one cyclown fan mentioned in this thread) for the Iowa AD to propose a 2 for 1 series schedule of two games in Kinnick to one game in Ames. Granted it IS arrogant, but Iowa has earned that right with the overall stronger football program. If Barta played hardball with Pollard on this issue, isu would relent because Pollard wants this series in the worst way. It would be a "win/win" situation for Barta - either isu accepts (a win with more of these so-called rivalry games in Kinnick) or isu says no, in which case Iowa can provide more variety in their schedule for their fanbase.

It's certainly NOT "laughable" (as one cyclown fan mentioned in this thread) for the Iowa AD to propose a 2 for 1 series schedule of two games in Kinnick to one game in Ames. Granted it IS arrogant, but Iowa has earned that right with the overall stronger football program. If Barta played hardball with Pollard on this issue, isu would relent because Pollard wants this series in the worst way. It would be a "win/win" situation for Barta - either isu accepts (a win with more of these so-called rivalry games in Kinnick) or isu says no, in which case Iowa can provide more variety in their schedule for their fanbase.
You are so far off base, it is quite comical. Pollard makes fun of Hawkeye fans because it is so easy to do....... You epitomize this thought.

You are so far off base, it is quite comical. Pollard makes fun of Hawkeye fans because it is so easy to do....... You epitomize this thought.

When you are isu getting to #100 is to be celebrated.

Meanwhile the rest of the planet laughs at isu for going over 100 years without a football conference title. The only school to do so.

Does this stops clone fans from spouting off their mouths? Thus why clowns are to be laughed at and not taken seriously. Same thing with your AD.

What is next Pollard screaming "it's not fair" again?

When you are isu getting to #100 is to be celebrated.

Meanwhile the rest of the planet laughs at isu for going over 100 years without a football conference title. The only school to do so.

Does this stops clone fans from spouting off their mouths? Thus why clowns are to be laughed at and not taken seriously. Same thing with your AD.

What is next Pollard screaming "it's not fair" again?
Actually, my guess is they are laughing at you

Reactions: I4cy
So Cloneswithsigh - if Barta wanted to revise series what kind of leverage would Pollard have to keep football series with Iowa going? Other than little 12 conference and proximity this game does NOTHING for Iowa. You, Pollard, and the rest of the 30 people from clown nation are truly clowns!

It is not laughable to think Barta might propose it. However, it is laughable to think ISU might accept it.

Reactions: moxyfruvous
What is laughable is that I think Iowa plays Pitt, and ISU plays Arkon. But I might have missed something, and maybe Iowa plays ISU again this Saturday?

Laughable = Laffy!

Laffy Taffy!

So Cloneswithsigh - if Barta wanted to revise series what kind of leverage would Pollard have to keep football series with Iowa going? Other than little 12 conference and proximity this game does NOTHING for Iowa. You, Pollard, and the rest of the 30 people from clown nation are truly clowns!

Clone fans nor Pollard will never answer your question. They have no leverage because they are little bro and they know it. Even Fox knows it which was why the brought it up on Saturday and CPR nodded in agreement.

But do tell us how it really is clone fans no one will laugh really.

Last edited:
In a pool of 125 there isn't much difference between #50 and #100? Genius at work here fellas, 'hey rock star I want to give you a raise from 100k to 200k' genius 'nah, there really isn't much of a difference between the two, I will stay at 100k'

Some help here, who has referred to Iowa as 'elite' in this thread?
There's a huge difference between being the 50th best team and the 100th best team. It's generally a 2-3 win difference. So yeah, the awesome/elite/championship-caliber 50th best team at 7-5 is leaps-and-bounds better than the 100th best 5-7 team. So you're right. F-me.

But what's telling is how you defend the 50th best team as not being mediocre.

lol

What is laughable is that I think Iowa plays Pitt, and ISU plays Arkon. But I might have missed something, and maybe Iowa plays ISU again this Saturday?

Laughable = Laffy!

Laffy Taffy!
Iowa plays an ISU of some kind every week.

That's a joke.

Cyclones play at Toledo. I wish it were Akron. Toledo won at #18 Arkansas last Saturday playing without their all-American candidate RB.

I really could care less who Iowa State plays, this week or the remainder of the season. Cyclone fans should just be grateful that Iowa failed on the fake field goal, and Canzeri fumbled, otherwise you'd be looking at an ass kicking, instead of just a kicking.
BTW, I see your setting it up so when ISU loses to Toledo you can claim they were world beaters, since they beat #18 Arkansas.

That's a joke.

Cyclones play at Toledo. I wish it were Akron. Toledo won at #18 Arkansas last Saturday playing without their all-American candidate RB.

Pitt is an isu? Nope Pitt has won a conference championship more recently than 1912. They even had to win more than 2 games to do it unlike isu's last conference championship in football.

That's a joke.

Who has the tougher schedule right now on Sagarin? It isn't isu.

Ouch now the clones don't even have the SOS blankly to cuddle up with.

ISCCU did a nice job in that south end zone. Iowa should do the same to the North. Get rid of the NB area and then nice add nice club section. Would probably increase revenue if done right.
We've faced two bad olines. Our secondary looked a lot better especially cb's with 7 db's and deep help.
That might be one of the more athletic ISU teams we've faced except for Oline.
I thought Richardson looked a little woosy in the second half. Maybe he was just frustrated.
How can ISU manage to give real time top 25, conference and baseball scores, even video from games n progress when our idiots can't figure it out.
Jack Trice tailgating has improved 1000% thanks to Pollard and ISU's admin. To bad our "leaders" have their heads in the sand.
Like him or not Pollard is kicking Bartas butt in alot of the stuff that counts to fans.
I do not agree at all. With the exception of their end zone(and ours will as nice or better) we are kicking their ass in facilities.

It is not laughable to think Barta might propose it. However, it is laughable to think ISU might accept it.
First of all the Iowa game balances out the home games from the 9 game conference season which alternates between 4 and 5 home games. So any change would need to fit within our conference schedule. I understand that same issue has already been cleared for Iowa by the Big 10 regarding the Iowa State game when they go to a 9 game schedule.

If we ever were to agree to a 2 for 1, it would only be because Iowa agreed to pay a very high price tag. I don't think Iowa wants a 2 for 1 that bad, plus it would screw up things with their upcoming 9 game conference schedule.

Bottom feeders play on the road at Akron.
When teams left the Big 12, ISU had to scramble to replace those teams on the schedule. Some of these teams bailed us out, but it required a home and away or 2 for 1 agreement.

First of all the Iowa game balances out the home games from the 9 game conference season which alternates between 4 and 5 home games. So any change would need to fit within our conference schedule. I understand that same issue has already been cleared for Iowa by the Big 10 regarding the Iowa State game when they go to a 9 game schedule.

If we ever were to agree to a 2 for 1, it would only be because Iowa agreed to pay a very high price tag. I don't think Iowa wants a 2 for 1 that bad, plus it would screw up things with their upcoming 9 game conference schedule.
I don't think it would necessarily screw up their conference schedule. They'd just drop us one year out of four. That is, things would be like they are now, except that every fourth year instead of going to Ames they would schedule another team.

Probably a double-directional.

Iowa's last road game at a non-P5/BCS team was 2002 at Miami(OH).

ISU:

2003 at NIU
2005 at army
2007 at toledo
2008 at unlv
2009 at kent state
2013 at tulsa
2015 at toledo
2017 at akron
2021 at unlv
2025 at arkansas state

How in the actual f*** do they have a non-conference game scheduled (against a mid major no less) 10 years in advance?......
That's an excellent question. Especially since that will be the first time in the history of ISU football that the team has played Arksansas State.

Well Gus Malzhan had em rolling so maybe ISU thought they would be playing a SEC team by that point.

Reactions: PCBHAWK
Well Gus Malzhan had em rolling so maybe ISU thought they would be playing a SEC team by that point.
The way the conferences are expanding, that wouldn't shock me much more than Rutgers becoming the 14th member of the BigTen.

Iowa's last road game at a non-P5/BCS team was 2002 at Miami(OH).

ISU:

2003 at NIU
2005 at army
2007 at toledo
2008 at unlv
2009 at kent state
2013 at tulsa
2015 at toledo
2017 at akron
2021 at unlv
2025 at arkansas state
Scheduling non conference games was a little different prior to the 9 game conference schedule. So 5 road games in 13 years since the 9 game conference schedule was started isn't too bad. I would prefer the non-conference games all to be home games, but doesn't everybody. Those teams need to get an occasional return game to fill out their home schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT