ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from Ames

I thought "modern times," i.e., since 2000, was a pretty fair place to start. But even if you go back 20 games, the record is still tied at 10-10. So for one school to consider itself "Big Brother" is kind of silly. And going back more than 20 years is redonkulous.

The arrogance of Iowa fans amuses me. This isn't 1985 and the program is far from what it once was, and quite frankly, never shall return to again. In modern times (Since 2000) the series is tied at 8-8. Not really seeing a big brother getting any traction here.

I am going with the selective time frame/selection of games process that is popular here. Other than the ISU/Iowa game what are the accomplishments of the programs since 2000? I am sure there will be some selected random event that leans towards ISU but other than "Seneca Wallace was really good" there probably won't be much. Hence the different status of the programs. And NO I don't want 100 chiming in.

I believe when the series was renewed in the '70s, it was originally a 4 for 1 Iowa.
When it was renewed, the contract called for two games, both in Iowa City. The athletics directors -- Clay Stapleton at ISU and Evy at Iowa -- also agreed to three additional games, also at Iowa City.

When Evy left, the Board in Control of Athletics at Iowa announced there would only be the two games in '77 and '78 for which contracts had been signed. ISU said the agreement between the ADs for the three additional games was binding even though the contracts hadn't been signed. . The Legislature instructed the Regents to hire an outside arbiter to rule on the disagreement, and he said Iowa was obligated to play the additional games.

Then ISU built the new stadium, and opposition to the series weakened, in part because Iowa wasn't beating much of anybody else, and in party because the teams started meeting in other sports with positive results. The '81 game was switched to Ames and long-term contracts were signed establishing a home-and-home series.

-

I thought "modern times," i.e., since 2000, was a pretty fair place to start. But even if you go back 20 games, the record is still tied at 10-10. So for one school to consider itself "Big Brother" is kind of silly. And going back more than 20 years is redonkulous.

So do tell us what program has more accomplishments since your 2000 selective time frame? Remember Ricky Stanzi has as many bowl wins as isu does in its history.

Top ten finishes, BCS bowls, Bowl wins, Individual Trophy winners and others tell us which program is Big Brother.

Do tell us though how it really is. We won't laugh really.

Iowa is going to play Iowa State every year. It may be an interesting discussion, but it's not going to change. It's important to the State and to both schools. Iowa State has 50 Iowa kids on their team ... how can we not play them?

p.s. Just watched a highlight of the pass-fumble-TD that tied the score at 17. The end zone stands on that end of the field were no more than 1/2 full. Seemed pretty strange for that point in the game.

I am going with the selective time frame/selection of games process that is popular here. Other than the ISU/Iowa game what are the accomplishments of the programs since 2000? I am sure there will be some selected random event that leans towards ISU but other than "Seneca Wallace was really good" there probably won't be much. Hence the different status of the programs. And NO I don't want 100 chiming in.
Iowa clearly has accomplished much more since 2000 than Iowa State. Can't imagine anyone suggesting otherwise. Both teams have made major improvements in their facilities. ISU has shared one division title and gone to 7 bowls. Iowa has won two (I think) conference championships and gone to at least 7 bowls, generally better bowls than ISU.

Iowa is going to play Iowa State every year. It may be an interesting discussion, but it's not going to change. It's important to the State and to both schools. Iowa State has 50 Iowa kids on their team ... how can we not play them?

p.s. Just watched a highlight of the pass-fumble-TD that tied the score at 17. The end zone stands on that end of the field were no more than 1/2 full. Seemed pretty strange for that point in the game.
My guess is that the people were in the clubhouse, either getting refreshments or watching the game from there. A lot of people did that. Partly the novelty, I suppose. The Club Section on the east side is the same way.

So do tell us what program has more accomplishments since your 2000 selective time frame? Remember Ricky Stanzi has as many bowl wins as isu does in its history.

Top ten finishes, BCS bowls, Bowl wins, Individual Trophy winners and others tell us which program is Big Brother.

Do tell us though how it really is. We won't laugh really.

Hands down, Iowa has had the better overall football program since, well, pretty much forever. But as the conversation relates to a "rivalry" game (which I thought this thread was referring to), it's pretty even as of the last 20 years. ISU's football program is not good. Iowa's is mediocre. That's all I was trying to say, Tuffy.

The game financially benefits both programs.

For Iowa, its the highest priced single game ticket on our home schedule. A random P5 opponent cannot replicate that, as history has shown.

On the road, it is as cheap a road trip as we get. Driving a bus to Ames is a LOT cheaper than flying to Pittsburgh.

Its a great game and a great day for the state of Iowa. A bad day for a small minority of grumbling jerks.

Hands down, Iowa has had the better overall football program since, well, pretty much forever. But as the conversation relates to a "rivalry" game (which I thought this thread was referring to), it's pretty even as of the last 20 years. ISU's football program is not good. Iowa's is mediocre. That's all I was trying to say, Tuffy.

4 Top ten finishes in 14 years is mediocre? If that is the case there are a lot of mediocre programs and even more that are no where near that level.

4 Top ten finishes in 14 years is mediocre? If that is the case there are a lot of mediocre programs and even more that are no where near that level.
Thanks for making my point. Yes, 4 top 10 finishes in the last 14 years is exceptionally mediocre. Are you saying that qualifies as elite? Look dude, Iowa's program is better than Iowa State's. Go hang your hat on that if you want. No argument here. But they're far from elite.

Thanks for making my point. Yes, 4 top 10 finishes in the last 14 years is exceptionally mediocre. Are you saying that qualifies as elite? Look dude, Iowa's program is better than Iowa State's. Go hang your hat on that if you want. No argument here. But they're far from elite.

Iowa's program is better than many that haven't had 4 top ten finishes in 14 years. Saying Iowa is mediocre with that level of production is flat out a fallacy.

I tell you what you are saying Iowa is mediocre so bring it don't sing it. Show me 25 other programs that have 4 top ten finishes, 2 BCS Bowls and 2 conference championships since your designated time frame the 2000 football season. If you can't then Top 25 isn't mediocre it is Top 25.

Good luck.

Like I said in another thread - it's time to end, or significantly reduce, the series with ISU. Iowa gains very little nationally from beating ISU, but garners all kinds of "guff" when losing to the cyclowns. Why should Iowa financially support ISU? If the series must continue, let's play 2 out of 3 years in Kinnick and take the 4th year off. I can imagine that ISU would balk at this proposal, but so what. If Iowa AD said "take it or leave it", they would likely begrudgingly take it. If not, too bad, with only 3 non-conference games in the future, Iowa can certainly find a replacement from another geographical area that would also enhance Iowa's recruiting base.
Any suggestion of a 2 for 1 deal will get you laughed all the way to the parking lot unless it is ISU demanding 2 games at Trice to 1 at Kinnick. I am in agreement to stopping the series as ISU gains nothing but revenue every 2 years..... And we are just fine financially.

Why do clone fans always go to the selective time frame for their arguments?
Because EIU went full pussy in the thirties. Both sides would have had periods of big winning between the mid-30's and 1977. Even Gus Johnson explained that point.

Iowa clearly has accomplished much more since 2000 than Iowa State. Can't imagine anyone suggesting otherwise. Both teams have made major improvements in their facilities. ISU has shared one division title and gone to 7 bowls. Iowa has won two (I think) conference championships and gone to at least 7 bowls, generally better bowls than ISU.

Iowa 6-5 in KF era in bowl games. 3 game losing streak right now in them. And yes two conf titles

Because EIU went full pussy in the thirties. Both sides would have had periods of big winning between the mid-30's and 1977. Even Gus Johnson explained that point.

Sure both teams would have been dominant. Just tell us about all those dominant isu teams from 1912 to 1977. You can start by listing all the football conference championships they won.

I can wait.

Any suggestion of a 2 for 1 deal will get you laughed all the way to the parking lot unless it is ISU demanding 2 games at Trice to 1 at Kinnick. I am in agreement to stopping the series as ISU gains nothing but revenue every 2 years..... And we are just fine financially.

isu is closer to being a MAC school than being able to demand a 2-1 with anyone except maybe an FCS school.

The simple fact is with the BIG adding another conference game the ISU series hamstrings Iowa and leaves little flexibility in scheduling other P5 schools while still maintaining 7 home games. The series needs to go to something other than an annual game in order to allow both schools to go out and get some other P5 games scheduled.

Personally, I am sick of having to play the Clones every year. It's like an albotross around the Hawkeye's necks, win and you should, lose and it is shameful, the definition of lose-lose. Top it off with the fact ISU views this as the biggest game of the year that everything revolves around. If ISU was an upper half Big 12 team that was successful I wouldn't feel this way. It's basically ISUs own fault Hawkeye fans feel this way.

Time to get rid of this series and schedule some exciting intersectional P5 matchups. Hang around with dogs and you get fleas. Hang around with the Clones and the program goes stagnant.

Reactions: 89and91
People forget that the population of the State of Iowa in 1980 was 2.96 million, today it is about 3.1 million with a population growth well below the national level. Iowa is also recruiting against two other In-State Universities.

Just saying....Alabama can still come in and pluck the best players out of our backyard. Kids want to be on a stage and the IOWA AD is not inking the deals.

Last edited:
Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
The Iowa-ISU game is not going away. No way. No how. I despise playing ISU for mostly the same reasons as others but the bottom line is many Iowa fans don't like playing ISU because they have beat us way too often than they should.

It does hurt our strength of schedule when ISU goes into to flop the rest of the year but overall, we should beat ISU on a regular basis and when we don't ... Some of us come up with reasons why we shouldn't play them. In my book- beat them 15 years in a row like Hayden did and then you can start to justify not playing them.

Bottom line ... Small population state with no pro sports... And two Power 5 conference teams... Iowa and ISU will always play one another... No ifs, ands, or buts...

The Iowa-ISU game is not going away. No way. No how. I despise playing ISU for mostly the same reasons as others but the bottom line is many Iowa fans don't like playing ISU because they have beat us way too often than they should.

It does hurt our strength of schedule when ISU goes into to flop the rest of the year but overall, we should beat ISU on a regular basis and when we don't ... Some of us come up with reasons why we shouldn't play them. In my book- beat them 15 years in a row like Hayden did and then you can start to justify not playing them.

Bottom line ... Small population state with no pro sports... And two Power 5 conference teams... Iowa and ISU will always play one another... No ifs, ands, or buts...

The absolutes of 'always' and 'never' most generally render any argument baseless. That applies here.

There is no need/requirement to beat anyone 'x' number of times in a row for reasonable people to see that circumstances are becoming critical for any team wishing to be considered for bowl championship inclusion. The Big Ten now consists of 14 teams and two divisions whereas the big xii has dwindled to just 10 teams and no clear vision on what to do about a conference championship. With the nine game, league schedule upcoming in 2016 and beyond, Iowa needs only to look at what is best for its own sake not anyone else. SDakotaDoc has it right. It is time to schedule other teams from power five conferences.

Everyone has been clamoring for new leadership at Iowa. Well, the new president has been appointed and he has a business more so than an academia mindset. Should there be changes in the AD and/or head coaching positions, I think you will see that not everyone agrees that 'it is good to play isu every year, home and away' is as prevalent as you think it is. Time will tell, but I believe change will happen.

I tell you what you are saying Iowa is mediocre so bring it don't sing it. Show me 25 other programs that have 4 top ten finishes, 2 BCS Bowls and 2 conference championships since your designated time frame the 2000 football season. If you can't then Top 25 isn't mediocre it is Top 25.

Good luck.
Lol... I don't have the same amount of free time as you. Clearly. Look, we have different opinions. I say Iowa's program is mediocre, you think they're elite. Obviously we define mediocre and elite differently. Everyone has their own definition of success. I just have different standards, that's all.

Lol... I don't have the same amount of free time as you. Clearly. Look, we have different opinions. I say Iowa's program is mediocre, you think they're elite. Obviously we define mediocre and elite differently. Everyone has their own definition of success. I just have different standards, that's all.
What would you identify the ISU basketball program as?

What would you identify the ISU basketball program as?
ISU's basketball team (under Hoiberg) was above average. Barely. Definitely not elite. Two second rounds, one sweet 16 and one bounce in the first round. It's a little above average. Not much. They didn't win anything. Conference Tournaments don't count in my opinion.

That is what I thought, a clone fan that shoots off their mouth without being able to back it up.

Chalk up another one.

Actually I think Top 25 performance since 2000 is anything but mediocre. There are very few elite and I haven't seen me or anyone say Iowa is elite. But far from isu who hasn't won a conference championship in football for well over 100 years.

Actually I think Top 25 performance since 2000 is anything but mediocre. There are very few elite and I haven't seen me or anyone say Iowa is elite. But far from isu who hasn't won a conference championship in football for well over 100 years.
This is making me laugh. You have your standards, I have mine. I'm guessing you're much younger than me. When I grew up we didn't get trophies for participating. We actually had to WIN them. If a handful of top 25 finishes is your barometer for success, well hallelujah and glory be to your elite program.

This is making me laugh. You have your standards, I have mine. I'm guessing you're much younger than me. When I grew up we didn't get trophies for participating. We actually had to WIN them. If a handful of top 25 finishes is your barometer for success, well hallelujah and glory be to your elite program.
Iowa has won trophies they are called Bowl trophies and Conference Championship trophies. Enough of which that puts Iowa in the company of less than 25 other programs during your time frame since the 2000 season. Being in the top 25 since 2000 while maybe not elite is far from mediocre when you are talking about 125 plus teams.

Iowa has won trophies they are called Bowl trophies and Conference Championship trophies. Enough of which that puts Iowa in the company of less than 25 other programs during your time frame since the 2000 season. Being in the top 25 since 2000 while maybe not elite is far from mediocre when you are talking about 125 plus teams.
No offense, but the bowl trophies Iowa's won are consolation prizes. Again, you make my point. Thank you. This conversation started from a comment I made about there being no clear "big brother" between Iowa/ISU as it related to head to head matchups over the last 20 years. Is Iowa's program much better than ISU's? Of course it is. It's a silly argument, really. But Iowa isn't an elite team. If you're not winning or playing for national titles, you're not elite. If you're not elite, you're mediocre. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Clonewithasigh
No offense, but the bowl trophies Iowa's won are consolation prizes. Again, you make my point. Thank you. This conversation started from a comment I made about there being no clear "big brother" between Iowa/ISU as it related to head to head matchups over the last 20 years. Is Iowa's program much better than ISU's? Of course it is. It's a silly argument, really. But Iowa isn't an elite team. If you're not winning or playing for national titles, you're not elite. If you're not elite, you're mediocre. Just my opinion.

So Bowl wins and Conference championships are meaningless because clone fan says so. It makes sense that would be the argument from a clone fan, when they have zero conference championships in football since 1912 and only 3 Bowl wins in school history.

All that matters to isu is how they do against big bro Iowa. But it isn't your Super Bowl right?

Iowa is a Top 25 Program since 2000. Leave it to clone fan to down grade what they have yet to achieve.

Quit laughing they are serious.

So Bowl wins and Conference championships are meaningless because clone fan says so. It makes sense that would be the argument from a clone fan, when they have zero conference championships in football since 1912 and only 3 Bowl wins in school history.

All that matters to isu is how they do against big bro Iowa. But it isn't your Super Bowl right?

Iowa is a Top 25 Program since 2000. Leave it to clone fan to down grade what they have yet to achieve.

Quit laughing they are serious.
lol... Go ask someone in Columbus if a top 25 finish is acceptable.

Now do you get it?

Now do you get it?

Go ask someone in Columbus if 3 Bowl wins in a school's history and zero conference championships in football since 1912 is acceptable. They won't laugh really.

Get it yet or do I need to type slower.

Now do you get it?
You are wasting your time with this one. He thinks that being number 50 is much more significant than being number 100......not realizing the cutoff for significant exposure and a national player is 1 - 10. He still is obsessed with being the tallest midget.

Go ask someone in Columbus if 3 Bowl wins in a school's history and zero conference championships in football since 1912 is acceptable. They won't laugh really.

Get it yet or do I need to type slower.
I have no idea how fast you type, nor do I care. Nor do I understand your post. ISU's football program is pathetic. It's been terrible since Dwayne Crutchfield ran out of eligibility. But I grew up on a farm and my family (except me) went to school there. I don't have a choice but to be a fan, as terrible as they are. But as terrible as they are, they've managed to beat Iowa 10 out of the past 20 games. Pretty even Steven in head-to-heads. Iowa's program is by far the better program. But being better than Iowa State doesn't make them great. Not to me, but it may to you. And if so, good on yah. I'm a fan of a bad team and I refer to them as bad. You're a fan of a mediocre/average/wonderful/awesome/great/elite team, and you're welcome to refer to them however you want my friend. Good luck this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT