ADVERTISEMENT

Three bands…the only ones you get to listen to for the rest of your life.

I'd try to cover some variety, different eras, genres, and a larger catalog.

Paul Simon
Wilco
The Killers

Derek and the Dominos
The Beatles
Steely Dan
(Beach Boys)

They started out as a punk band and had many thrash and heavy metal influences on their later albums, even routinely covered Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden with samples in their songs. Here's some punk and metal influenced songs they did. Hell their Check Your Head album is mostly funk, psychedelic, with some punk and thrash thrown in.

Yeah, i wouldnt consider those heavy metal.
More in the punk genre. Same with Heart Attack Man

Last edited:
If I could add 3 additional choices but only from a completely different genre I would go
George Jones
David Allan Coe
Hank Williams Jr

• Love
Reactions: Sharky1203
Who wants to buy my three bands? I gotta guitar and I’ll be just fine.

You guys are kinda hard core. I'm going to go with:

1. Lyle Lovett and His Large Band (not only because they're awesome but because they can play so many styles of music)
2. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
3. Count Basie Orchestra

Led Zeppelin
New York Philharmonic
Beastie Boys

Tough one. I went with 3 diverse bands with huge catalogues that would never get boringly repetitive or stale.

Zepp fills the rock and blues slot, with a tinge of country, folk, prog, metal and soul.

NY Phil- covers all the bases of both classical and modern. Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, to jamming modern soundtracks like Star Wars and Last of the Mohicans at the drop of a hat

Beasties- has the 80s rap scene, then transformed into alternative, instrumental jam, psychedelic, and even heavy metal. Edit (forgot they started out as a punk band in the early 80s, so they cover that niche as well).
This is a very smart list. I was going to make one with the Boston pops for exactly the same reason. If you only get three they damn well better cover as many bases as possible and have extensive discographies.

Hide Reaction GIF by flor
There's no reason I shouldn't like Phish if you go by lifetime acid ingestion but it never worked out that way. With The Dead I can fake it a little better pretending I'm one of Ken Kesey's people

3? Geez, 2 are easy...

REM
Social Distortion

The third? I could go about 6 different ways...Rush, Green Day, Bad Religion, Rancid, Pennywise...I be good with someone else picking the third out of those

A lot of good options. Right now…

Jeff Tweedy (Wilco)
Paul Westerberg (solo, ex-Replacements)
Paul McCartney (solo, ex-Beatles)

Night Ranger
38 Special
Def Leppard
I used to go to the Iowa Jam at the Fairgrounds, I thought I saw all 3 there, but Def Leppard was some other time (it's all a bit hazy). 1980 was Journey, Molly Hatchet, The Babys, and Toto. 1981 was 38 Special, April Wine, The Outlaws, and UFO. 1982 was 38 Special, Iron Maiden, Loverboy, Quarterflash, and Triumph. 1984 was Motley Crue, NightRanger, Ozzy, and Ted Nugent.

Reactions: PellaHawkeye
There's no reason I shouldn't like Phish if you go by lifetime acid ingestion but it never worked out that way. With The Dead I can fake it a little better pretending I'm one of Ken Kesey's people

they arent for everyone which is fine with me, easier to get tickets.

Led Zeppelin
The Replacements
Pavement

Solid Led Zep rep in this thread.

they arent for everyone which is fine with me, easier to get tickets.
My list is pretty much that way minus the jam quality. Two of my three are somefugginhow on the same bill in Waukee in June. Never would've seen that coming in high school. If anyone wants to track me down and beat my ass.

• Haha
Reactions: dgordo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT