ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Perkins

That second jumper he had is mesmerizing to watch. Dribble left, between the legs, behind the back, one hard dribble drive into the lane, quick step back creating a ton of separation, followed by a smooth, high arcing shot. I’m not creating any expectations based on it, but it was a pro type sequence against Northwestern’s redshirt junior first man off the bench (he’s tied top 5 in mpg)

Generally speaking I've been pretty impressed with how supportive the bench has been this year, very vocal and animated on the sidelines. I'm sure its tough on a lot of these kids to get little to no minutes each game as we have such an experienced group playing the bulk of the minutes. Kids like Perkins and Ulis were stars at the HS level, I suspect it is very humbling for them to play the role of the cheerleader this year with limited minutes in games that haven't been decided. Each of these kids could have gone to mid majors and earned more minutes their first year on campus, lets hope the keep the big picture in mind. I suspect assistants assume the role of keeping the young kids and bench players engaged and supportive, maybe Nicholas Baer as well. I'd say its been successful so far this year.

Yes they are great on the bench. But yesterday I did notice perkins seemed very unhappy. Could have been something outside of basketball too. I hope it wasn't something serious and hope he sticks around because I think he may be a very good player. Next year he should get a lot more minutes

Yes they are great on the bench. But yesterday I did notice perkins seemed very unhappy. Could have been something outside of basketball too. I hope it wasn't something serious and hope he sticks around because I think he may be a very good player. Next year he should get a lot more minutes
I’m sure it sucks being on the bench all the time versus playing, but he had to have known the situation when he committed. He could have been an all Big Ten freshman and still wouldn’t be taking minutes from Fredrick, Wieskamp, or Bohannon. Maybe Pat I guess. He will get his chance for 10-15 minutes per game next year after Bohannon moves on. If he impresses, that number goes up!

Still nice thing to be on team that has a chance to win B1G championship and have a shot to be National Champs, I could live with that even if I only played a little my freshman year

Reactions: 24 so far
Still nice thing to be on team that has a chance to win B1G championship and have a shot to be National Champs, I could live with that even if I only played a little my freshman year
These kids and subsequently their parents can't be that dumb to assume Little Johnny is going to come in and set the DI world on fire, or threaten a transfer. Not everyone is a star in the making "if only".

Take your free schooling, improve over time if you can and enjoy playing on a good team until you've earned your spot. You aren't any more special than the kid sitting next to you on the bench in the same boat. You get what you earn.

There are plenty of shitty Basketball programs looking for players. If your goal is "me", then by all means move on to a Team that goes 4-30 and see how "happy" you are getting your minutes while simultaneously getting your ass handed to you every night.

In recruiting all the freshmen had to know they would get very little playing time.

In recruiting all the freshmen had to know they would get very little playing time.
I really thought one of the freshmen would get decent playing time this year, I just didn't think it would be Keegan. I thought Perkins would make the biggest impact from the freshman class. Murray has been contributing more than I expected, but Ulis and Perkins have also flashed potential in their limited playing time IMO.

Those were pretty buckets. Seems like the kind of kid that could be a late-in-the-shot-clock type.

That would be a very good thing in the years to come! JBo has been a rockstar, having led the nation in offensive efficiency the last 5 minutes of the game his junior year(that form is coming back). And his minutes will be gone....

If Perkins has that killer instinct, it will be very handy to have the next 3 years!

Two very nice shots indeed. Before he came in i had noticed he seemed very very disinterested on the bench. It seemed like something was really bothering him. Not trying to start anything but it was something I noticed.

He was very impressive when he came in although.
Nah. Tony always has that look of being disinterested.

Agreed. Its a lot more fun to be on the bench mob for a top 5 team than one that is struggling.

For many of these guys, they have never really set on the bench for entire games in their whole life. They were likely always the best player on the team. So, wishing for playing time, and not getting it can lead to frustration and maybe a bad facial expression. That's where coaching comes in. Fran seems like a real player's coach, inspires loyalty, and every player knows he has their back.

I do feel bad for Ulis, Perkins, and Kr Murray. In many years, they would be solid rotation players as Freshmen on previous Iowa Teams. But, I am certain they are contributing to make the team better in practice. I'm certain many previous Iowa team's starters had no one like the current freshman to practice against. That helps everyone.

I know his dad says there are no worries, but I feel Kr. Murray has the toughest spot. There is probably not that much difference between his skillset, and Keegan's. But one shines while the other waits to shine. That has to be tough on all involved.

I am really enjoying this year, but I am also looking forward to next year, and seeing what this Freshman class does in their second year as Freshman. If they all stay 4-5 years, they will have a very high ceiling.

Reactions: Ronman
For many of these guys, they have never really set on the bench for entire games in their whole life. They were likely always the best player on the team. So, wishing for playing time, and not getting it can lead to frustration and maybe a bad facial expression. That's where coaching comes in. Fran seems like a real player's coach, inspires loyalty, and every player knows he has their back.

I do feel bad for Ulis, Perkins, and Kr Murray. In many years, they would be solid rotation players as Freshmen on previous Iowa Teams. But, I am certain they are contributing to make the team better in practice. I'm certain many previous Iowa team's starters had no one like the current freshman to practice against. That helps everyone.

I know his dad says there are no worries, but I feel Kr. Murray has the toughest spot. There is probably not that much difference between his skillset, and Keegan's. But one shines while the other waits to shine. That has to be tough on all involved.

I am really enjoying this year, but I am also looking forward to next year, and seeing what this Freshman class does in their second year as Freshman. If they all stay 4-5 years, they will have a very high ceiling.

Perkins and Ulis would have gotten a lot of Bakari's minutes last year. The freshman class looks really good and even though Ogundele (sp?) looks like a project, he is exactly the type of project Fran should be taking on. Ogundele could be a beast in B1G by his Jr/Sr years.

This exactly. These kids have all , always been the guy. My youngest set a lot of records in the eastern KC area, and was all conf, and all district all four years. !st team the last two. Went to an NAIA school and he followed a senior who was an NAIA AA. Thought he would just fill that role the next season. Didnt happen. They recruited another young man behind him from Olathe who ended up being an NAIA AA as well. In later years the kid traveled with the Globetrotters and played on the team that acts as their shill. He was a hell of a player. My son played sparingly the first two years and basically had to remake himself. The coach didn't need a scorer as much as he needed a glue guy, do it all defender, and jack of all trades. He remade himself. His last season he played about half the game and played all three guard and wing spots. Gave them great minutes resting ALL of their guards and wings. That team went on to win their first Conference championship in 30 years, and they advanced to the NAIA sweet 16 for the first time in school history. After the season the coach was quick to point out that the difference that season was not the five starters, but the group of four who came off the bench and gave solid minutes for the starters to rest, and brought something to the game each time they hit the floor. We are seeing something similar with this season Hawk bench, so I hope they all realize that THEY are the wild card for Iowa to advance to a championship level team....

Last edited:

You all don’t need to worry about Kris. Twins have a different relationship than most siblings. Take notice when Keegan has given interviews, he references “we and us” even when the question is directed to him. If there was something to worry about, we would have seen it before now. All is well in the Murray twins house.

This exactly. These kids have all , always been the guy. My youngest set a lot of records in the eastern KC area, and was all conf, and all district all for years. !st team the last two. Whet to an NAIA school and he followed a senior who was an NAIA AA. Thought he would just fill that role the next season. Didnt happen. They recruited another young man behind him from Olathe who ended up being an NAIA AA as well. In later years the kid traveled with the Globetrotters and played on the team that acts as their shill. He was a hell of a player. My son played sparingly the first two years and basically had to remake himself. The coach didn't need a scorer as much as he needed a glue guy, do it all defender, and jack of all trades. He remade himself. His last season he played about half the game and played all three guard and wing spots. Gave them great minutes resting ALL of their guards and wings. That team went on to win their first Conference championship in 30 years, and they advanced to the NAIA sweet 16 for the first time in school history. After the season the coach was quick to point out that the difference that season was not the five starters, but the group of four who came off the bench and gave solid minutes for the starters to rest, and brought something to the game each time they hit the floor. We are seeing something similar with this season Hawk bench, so I hope they all realize that THEY are the wild card for Iowa to advance to a championship level team....

Correct KC. This is a huge deal, and would be the hardest part in coaching. And why if you aren't recruiting the 5-star type guys, it's important to recruit talent and also guys with the right attitudes. It is a huge shock when you go from being either the best player on your team, playing every minute of the game when it's close, to being a guy who is not in the regular rotation. In the long run, it's probably good for every player to go through a bit of that at some point in their career as it gives them an appreciation for the role of everyone on the team.

The good news for all the freshmen this year is that this year is a free year for eligibility. On many other years, Ke. Murray, Ulis and Perkins would be getting much bigger minutes. Ulis and Perkins both have not look overwhelmed whenever they have been in. We won't find out for sure on them until they are counted on (we already know about Keegan), but all 3 and Kr. Murray have bright futures.

I agree with all of this essentially, but when all these kids signed on, the Iowa cupboard wasn't bare (or even Baer.......pun intended).

You had all 5 starters returning, only 2 of them Seniors, plus Toussaint, Nunge and Patrick who was dealing with whatever but a good recruit who didn't get the typical freshman year in. For many schools that 8 man rotation might be it.

There was no room at The Inn and they signed up anyway. If there is pouting going on, that's on them (and frankly I doubt there is).

You all don’t need to worry about Kris. Twins have a different relationship than most siblings. Take notice when Keegan has given interviews, he references “we and us” even when the question is directed to him. If there was something to worry about, we would have seen it before now. All is well in the Murray twins house.
Kenyon, just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed your presence here. Just watched the 93 game with the the Michigan fab 5 , first game back after Chris Street's death. My wife and I really enjoyed seeing your play, and reminded us so much of watching Keegan with his effort, spring, and smart smooth play. He's such a pleasure to watch, and it was fun watching your play in that game as a freshman. Had forgotten much of this other then the outcome of course, and still brings a tear to the eye to see the team swarm the Street' after the game. Once a Hawk, always a Hawk!

Two very nice shots indeed. Before he came in i had noticed he seemed very very disinterested on the bench. It seemed like something was really bothering him. Not trying to start anything but it was something I noticed.

He was very impressive when he came in although.

I noticed this too, but didn't think much of it. Thought maybe the camera just caught him at the wrong moment.

Perkins and Ulis would have gotten a lot of Bakari's minutes last year. The freshman class looks really good and even though Ogundele (sp?) looks like a project, he is exactly the type of project Fran should be taking on. Ogundele could be a beast in B1G by his Jr/Sr years.

I respectfully disagree. Bakari brought leadership, experience and a calm to the backcourt when needed last year with Jbo out. Fran didn't bring in a grad transfer to sit on the bench, he served a purpose and roll with the roster last year. I got the sense in interviews and comments from players that he was very well respected and his minutes would not have diminished if Perkins and Ulis were on the roster, their minutes would have been about the same last year as they are this year. I suspect Ulis may have cut into some of JT's minutes but I suspect Bakari's would have been the same.

Reactions: kceasthawk

im a twin and the success of your brother feels like your own, it’s an odd relationship indeed. Keegan wouldn’t be having the success he’s having without Kris pushing him.

being a twin you quickly learn the mental aspect of games because that is your only fundamental advantage over your brother

Reactions: PHawkKenyon
I respectfully disagree. Bakari brought leadership, experience and a calm to the backcourt when needed last year with Jbo out. Fran didn't bring in a grad transfer to sit on the bench, he served a purpose and roll with the roster last year. I got the sense in interviews and comments from players that he was very well respected and his minutes would not have diminished if Perkins and Ulis were on the roster, their minutes would have been about the same last year as they are this year. I suspect Ulis may have cut into some of JT's minutes but I suspect Bakari's would have been the same.
I'm sure Bakari was a great guy, and no disrespect intended, he filled a void. He had a few moments (very few IIRC), but from the limited time Perkins and Ulis have had, they both look like better players right now than Bakari was as a Senior. IMHO of course.

Done with my bitchfest and would like to end the night with a positive post saying that I though Perkins gave us some really solid minutes defensively tonight. He did a great job of anticipating and getting his hands on some passes. Also moves really well laterally, staying in front of ballhandlers without fouling. Not a stretch to say that he belongs at this point, while still not ready for extensive minutes

Reactions: HawkRugged17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT