ADVERTISEMENT

Top 16 WBB Reveal on Feb 29th: Iowa was the #7 OVERALL SEED and would have faced #1 OVERALL SEED South Carolina in the Elite 8

With Caitlin they will want iowa to go far/ into final four for ratings, eyeballs and hype

The problem? At the time of the reveal, if the season had ended there, if both teams kept winning, Iowa would face South Carolina in the Elite 8.

Albany 1
1 South Carolina
7 IOWA
12 Oregon State
16 Oklahoma

The problem? At the time of the reveal, if the season had ended there, if both teams kept winning, Iowa would face South Carolina in the Elite 8.

Albany 1
1 South Carolina
7 IOWA
12 Oregon State
16 Oklahoma
Again, lots of key games to be played. Could possibly play the number 2 team twice plus Indiana. Win 2 of those 3 at least and we’re minimum the 5 overall.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Curious, why does the 1 seed play the 7 seed, instead of the 8 seed. Seems like the 2 seed should play the 7 seed.

Yes but Ckark cant di it all . Bluder failed by not getting one decent transfer. This team isnt as good as last years.

It’s better, per most measurable metrics, plus the 6th best schedule. I’m not sure how anyone, outside of just being contrary, can objectively say last years team was “better”

They aren’t better at rebounding or defense or offense….so where exactly are they better?

I'll say this, Iowa without Clark would continue to get the disrespect in the rankings they'd always gotten.

It took Clark 2.5 yrs and injuries to Paige Beuckers to change that thinking.........
You do have to wonder if Paige hadn't been injured for two years would Clark have been allowed to seize the crown, (which she so clearly earned), or would the media have continued their UCONN bias. Remember that Clark led the nation in scoring as a freshman, BUT Paige was the national player of the year....

You do have to wonder if Paige hadn't been injured for two years would Clark have been allowed to seize the crown, (which she so clearly earned), or would the media have continued their UCONN bias. Remember that Clark led the nation in scoring as a freshman, BUT Paige was the national player of the year....
It’s possible the media would have continued their bias. The fan support for Clark is not something that has ever been seen in women’s basketball though so there’s no way they could continue to ignore her while promoting Paige.

It’s possible the media would have continued their bias. The fan support for Clark is not something that has ever been seen in women’s basketball though so there’s no way they could continue to ignore her while promoting Paige.
I certainly agree, BUT I really think CC had the better year as a freshman and yet PB won ALL the awards, except the Dawn Staley..

Some of it is in the moment reactions.

Some of it is who we're losing to, and how...............

Losing to Nebraska the way we did, isn't deserving of a top 5 ranking.

If we beat Ohio State and get to the BTT Finals (meaning not being mental midgets and beating Indiana again), then we'll have re-earned a top 5 ranking and a shot at a 1 seed.

I agree with everything including where we are currently ranked now. With that said, everyone but USC has had a head scratching in conference loss. In fact Nebraska is one of the best of those losses. They are very good team.

Yes, though Paige actually deserved it. I started really drilling in about that time and although I didn’t watch them when they were on TV every time, her first two years. Like I have the last two….since that time CC has elevated her game every single year and yes, Paige being hurt had to have helped her trajectory at least to some degree .

I’ll say something here that is probably outlandish, but I’ll compare her to Magic Johnson &/or Larry Bird in the 80s to a degree….

Magic had to play center in the finals his rookie year and I believe had 42 pts…. And a boatload of rebounds.

He could play anywhere he just happened to be a point guard…

Bird I think you could arguably say is the first ever point forward and he too, could play just about anywhere…

I was thinking the other day about the fact we never see them post CC up, but I know she could get her shot off down there versus anybody. She honestly can play almost anywhere except the five….

I believe Paige has that capability too, she is really very rugged. But she lacks the fluidity and the all-around scoring capability that CC has in my opinion.

All this to say, Caitlyn has put in the work and gotten what she deserved, but it would’ve been an interesting dichotomy had Paige stayed healthy for sure!!

Hope Rebecca is right; just have to get out of South Carolina's region. Beating #2 Ohio State today helps.

The Tournament Selection Show is Sunday March 17 at 7:00 p.m. CT on ESPN.

As a reminder, if the season had ended 4 days ago (on Wednesday, Feb 28), here would be the 4 brackets and Top 16 teams:

Albany 1

1 South Carolina
7 IOWA
12 Oregon State
16 Oklahoma

Portland 4
4 UCLA
5 Virginia Tech
10 UConn
15 Gonzaga

Portland 3
3 Stanford
6 Texas
11 NC State
14 Indiana

Albany 2
2 Ohio State
8 Southern California
9 LSU
13 Colorado

I would think for tv ratings they’d want Caitlin Clark playing on East Coast time in the Albany Regional. Some of those Portland games could be tipping off pretty late for the rest of the country.

I would think for tv ratings they’d want Caitlin Clark playing on East Coast time in the Albany Regional. Some of those Portland games could be tipping off pretty late for the rest of the country.
Let’s be honest here, put Iowa in Hawaii at 2 am CST and ratings will still soar. No one might go to work next day, but we’d all be watching.

This could shake things up.

6'6 senior and 2 time ACC Player of the Year Elizabeth Kitley of Virginia Tech suffered a noncontact left knee injury in the 3rd quarter of yesterday's game vs Virginia. It does not look good. She's averaging 22.8 pts and 11.4 rebounds/game.

#5 Virginia Tech ended up losing 80-75.

Here's the video of when Elizabeth Kitley was injured.

Hit the PLAY button.

Last edited:
One half of the bracket 5 days ago:

Albany 1
1 South Carolina
7 IOWA
12 Oregon State
16 Oklahoma

Portland 4
4 UCLA
5 Virginia Tech
10 UConn
15 Gonzaga

The entire tournament set records for every round. It had nothing to do with location. The hype and mainstream coverage for Iowa is on a different level now. They want her in primetime.

Who is they...and how do you determine primetime? Based on where you live or where I live?

Obviously the "they" you refer to doesn't feel the need for these games to be at the time your opinion dictates...the championship game is still in the afternoon.

The funny thing is both Seattle games last year were pretty much as prime time as you can get

Who is they...and how do you determine primetime? Based on where you live or where I live?

Obviously the "they" you refer to doesn't feel the need for these games to be at the time your opinion dictates...the championship game is still in the afternoon.

The funny thing is both Seattle games last year were pretty much as prime time as you can get
“They” being the networks and the NCAA. If you can’t see “they” don’t want Iowa tipping off at 10pm eastern, then I got nothing for you.
Again, Iowa last year was nothing compared to the TV juggernaut it is now. Things have changed. Keep up!

Reactions: Bishop-71
It’s better, per most measurable metrics, plus the 6th best schedule. I’m not sure how anyone, outside of just being contrary, can objectively say last years team was “better”

They aren’t better at rebounding or defense or offense….so where exactly are they better
Monica was dominant at post scoring using post position and post moves. She had hook shots, up and unders, and a reliable inside game that is missing this year. Hannah is improving, and has much better speed, but a good big mobile post is going to overpower her. One of the issues we've had all year is that there are only a few teams in the country that can bring that sort of post presense, SC, Colorado, UCLA? So for 80+ percent of our games Hannah is the better option, but from elete 8 on up, the 2 biggest things that are likely to cause a loss are an off 3 pt shooting night and getting beat inside.

Based on current top 10, here is how #1 seeds stand:
South Carolina - Lock
Iowa/tOSU - winner of tourney gets it
If Indiana beats Iowa & OSU back to back, the have shot, but doubtful if Holmes injured
Pac10 trio (Stanford/USC/UCLA) winner of tourney gets a #1 seed.

Fourth number 1:
Texas? Can it win Big12
LSU? If it beats South Car, will the voters overlook losses.

Probably not, but…
Va Tech loss & knee injury not good
UCONN has the brand but not quality wins probably

Everyone else has 6 plus losses.
The one wildcard -slumping Colorado. Beating Ore St, Stanford and UCLA/USC winner is a big boost with already beating LSU

Going into the tournaments, it’s a mess for #1 seeds, but also very clear what 6 teams have to do.
Lose, and you are probably #2 or worse.

Reactions: mphawk
“They” being the networks and the NCAA. If you can’t see “they” don’t want Iowa tipping off at 10pm eastern, then I got nothing for you.
Again, Iowa last year was nothing compared to the TV juggernaut it is now. Things have changed. Keep up!

Again...they championship game is in the afternoon. That throws your entire theory out the window.

You are also stuck on what is prime time for you. A 6pm start eastern is 3pm my time, so you still have alot people at work. There is no great time to get a weekday game in that covers both coasts.

And ESPN has all the rights...so no plural networks here. The NCAA has already been paid regardless of the ratings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT