ADVERTISEMENT

Top 16 WBB Reveal on Feb 29th: Iowa was the #7 OVERALL SEED and would have faced #1 OVERALL SEED South Carolina in the Elite 8

Again...they championship game is in the afternoon. That throws your entire theory out the window.

You are also stuck on what is prime time for you. A 6pm start eastern is 3pm my time, so you still have alot people at work. There is no great time to get a weekday game in that covers both coasts.

And ESPN has all the rights...so no plural networks here. The NCAA has already been paid regardless of the ratings.
Haha. Well if you’re getting technical I didn’t know ABC and ESPN were the same network? I know they are both owned by Disney and in the same family of networks but to say ESPN has all the rights isn’t accurate. Kind of blows up your theory. And I don’t know if you know this or not, but most people don’t work on the weekends. And then they sleep at night. Not all, but most people. So, yes, it makes sense to play a title game at 3pm on a Sunday. It doesn’t make sense to have Iowa play at 10pm eastern on any night.

Reactions: Bishop-71
Monica was dominant at post scoring using post position and post moves. She had hook shots, up and unders, and a reliable inside game that is missing this year. Hannah is improving, and has much better speed, but a good big mobile post is going to overpower her. One of the issues we've had all year is that there are only a few teams in the country that can bring that sort of post presense, SC, Colorado, UCLA? So for 80+ percent of our games Hannah is the better option, but from elete 8 on up, the 2 biggest things that are likely to cause a loss are an off 3 pt shooting night and getting beat inside.

Va Tech and K-st definitely were

Reactions: kceasthawk
Hope Rebecca is right; just have to get out of South Carolina's region. Beating #2 Ohio State today helps.

The Tournament Selection Show is Sunday March 17 at 7:00 p.m. CT on ESPN.

As a reminder, if the season had ended 4 days ago (on Wednesday, Feb 28), here would be the 4 brackets and Top 16 teams:

Albany 1

1 South Carolina
7 IOWA
12 Oregon State
16 Oklahoma

Portland 4
4 UCLA
5 Virginia Tech
10 UConn
15 Gonzaga

Portland 3
3 Stanford
6 Texas
11 NC State
14 Indiana

Albany 2
2 Ohio State
8 Southern California
9 LSU
13 Colorado
She was the only one of course. Peck always low balls Iowa. She's too smart to make the kind of mistake that swoopes and some others have made, but I think she has some real disdain for Iowa......

Based on current top 10, here is how #1 seeds stand:
South Carolina - Lock
Iowa/tOSU - winner of tourney gets it
If Indiana beats Iowa & OSU back to back, the have shot, but doubtful if Holmes injured
Pac10 trio (Stanford/USC/UCLA) winner of tourney gets a #1 seed.

Fourth number 1:
Texas? Can it win Big12
LSU? If it beats South Car, will the voters overlook losses.

Probably not, but…
Va Tech loss & knee injury not good
UCONN has the brand but not quality wins probably

Everyone else has 6 plus losses.
The one wildcard -slumping Colorado. Beating Ore St, Stanford and UCLA/USC winner is a big boost with already beating LSU

Going into the tournaments, it’s a mess for #1 seeds, but also very clear what 6 teams have to do.
Lose, and you are probably #2 or worse.

yeah, i would like to think if iowa wins their next 3 games they get a #1 seed and a top 4 overall seed

She was the only one of course. Peck always low balls Iowa. She's too smart to make the kind of mistake that swoopes and some others have made, but I think she has some real disdain for Iowa......
i agree; i wonder where that comes from

do you think we get a top 4 overall seed (an a #1 regional seed) if we win the BTT?

Haha. Well if you’re getting technical I didn’t know ABC and ESPN were the same network? I know they are both owned by Disney and in the same family of networks but to say ESPN has all the rights isn’t accurate. Kind of blows up your theory. And I don’t know if you know this or not, but most people don’t work on the weekends. And then they sleep at night. Not all, but most people. So, yes, it makes sense to play a title game at 3pm on a Sunday. It doesn’t make sense to have Iowa play at 10pm eastern on any night.

ABC carries one game.

Promise you they don't care if Iowa gets a 10pm game. Seeds take precedent over anything. They are not going to manipulate the seeds to get a match up or time. That has been stated repeatedly by every committee member, both men's and womens, for years. Only fans seem to hold on to this concept of creating matchups or situations.

Duke, as a host, got a 9:30 pm start last year. It will happen if it happens based on seeds. There are not many 10 pm or later start times...lots of 9 and 930. UConn got a 9pm start as the host last year as well.

Plenty of people seemed to tune into Iowa/Louisville last year at 9pm and Iowa/South Carolina at 9:30pm last year.

They may end up in the east...they may not. You seem to have a complete east coast bias....their are people in the small markets like LA that watch basketball as well.

The seed will determine where they play and when.

I will be very happy to see the play at 9pm eastern on April 5th

Reactions: mphawk
This could shake things up.

6'6 senior and 2 time ACC Player of the Year Elizabeth Kitley of Virginia Tech suffered a noncontact left knee injury in the 3rd quarter of yesterday's game vs Virginia. It does not look good. She's averaging 22.8 pts and 11.4 rebounds/game.

#5 Virginia Tech ended up losing 80-75.

Here's the video of when Elizabeth Kitley was injured.

Hit the PLAY button.

Now 3 time ACC Player of the Year Elizabeth Kitley of Virginia Tech.

If she can't play in the postseason....

There will be some big matchups when they get into conference tourneys.

Wouldn't put too much stock into current projections.

And having Iowa in the Final Four will ensure record viewership.
I fully expect Iowa to get a VERY favorable seed.

Crazy how March Madness shakes everything up. Now it appears that if we win our next two games, Iowa will not only be a #1 seed, but they would not face South Carolina until the national championship game.

The 68-team bracket will be announced March 17 at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN.

Conference Tournament results have shaken everything up. What follows is the overall seed and bracket seed on Feb 28:

* Ohio State (#2 overall; a 1 seed in their bracket) lost 82-61 to Maryland

* Virginia Tech (#5 overall; a 2 seed in their bracket) lost 82-53 to Notre Dame

* UCLA (#4 overall; a 1 seed in their bracket) lost 80-70 to USC (#8 overall; a 2 seed in their bracket)

If the season had ended Wednesday, Feb 28, here would have been the 4 brackets and Top 16 teams.

As you can see, if both teams had kept winning, Iowa would have faced South Carolina in the Elite 8.

Albany 1
1 South Carolina
7 IOWA
12 Oregon State
16 Oklahoma

Portland 4
4 UCLA
5 Virginia Tech
0 UConn
15 Gonzaga

Portland 3
3 Stanford
6 Texas
11 NC State
14 Indiana

Albany 2
2 Ohio State
8 Southern California
9 LSU
13 Colorado

Here's the ESPN Bracketology after last night's games.

As you can see below, IF both teams kept winning, Iowa NOW would not face South Carolina until the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

The 4 regions, per ESPN, to start the day on March 10, 2024:

Albany 1

South Carolina (WAS #1 seed in Albany 1 Region on Feb 28)
Ohio State (WAS #1 seed in Albany 2 Region on Feb 28)
Oregon State (WAS #3 seed in Albany 1 Region on Feb 28)
Indiana (WAS #4 seed in Portland 3 Region on Feb 28)

Portland 4
Texas (WAS #2 seed in Portland 3 Region on Feb 28)
Southern California (WAS #2 seed in Albany 2 Region on Feb 28)
Notre Dame (WAS NOT a top 16 team on Feb 28)
Gonzaga (WAS #4 seed in Portland 4 Region on Feb 28)

Portland 2
Stanford (WAS #1 seed in Portland 3 Region on Feb 28)
LSU (WAS #3 seed in Albany 2 Region on Feb 28)
UConn (WAS #3 seed in Portland 4 Region on Feb 28)
Virginia Tech (WAS #2 seed in Portland 4 Region on Feb 28)

Albany 3
IOWA (WAS #2 seed in Albany 1 Region on Feb 28)
UCLA (WAS #1 seed in Portland 4 Region on Feb 28)
NC State (WAS #3 seed in Portland 3 Region on Feb 28)
Oklahoma (WAS #4 seed in Albany 1 Region on Feb 28)

Colorado dropped out of the Top 16 (they WERE #4 seed in the Albany 2 Region on Feb 28).

THE FULL BRACKET:

Are the seeds announced? The title of this old thread title is misleading... Says we are a #7 overall (#2 line). I was about to flip some tables at work! 😂

I assume that is from old bracket projections. As we should absolutely be one of the #1 seeds

Reactions: Franisdaman
Are the seeds announced? The title of this old thread title is misleading... Says we are a #7 overall (#2 line). I was about to flip some tables at work! 😂

I assume that is from old bracket projections. As we should absolutely be one of the #1 seeds
The bracket isn't announced until Sunday. Iowa will be a 1 seed. Just a matter of if it's #2, #3, or #4 overall.

Sorry for the confusion. Regarding the thread title, also look at the date the thread was started, which was Feb 29th. ;)

The 68-team bracket will be announced March 17 at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN.

If the season had ended on Wednesday, Feb 28, what follows would have been the 4 brackets and the Top 16 teams. At that time, as you can see, if both teams had kept winning, Iowa would have faced South Carolina in the Elite 8.

Obviously, things have changed over the last 11 days.
Iowa has played it's way into a #1 seed and a top 4 overall seed.

Where things stood at the end of the day, Feb 28th:

Albany 1

1 South Carolina
7 IOWA
12 Oregon State
16 Oklahoma

Portland 4
4 UCLA
5 Virginia Tech
0 UConn
15 Gonzaga

Portland 3
3 Stanford
6 Texas
11 NC State
14 Indiana

Albany 2
2 Ohio State
8 Southern California
9 LSU
13 Colorado

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
No worries on the thread title confusion. I figured it out pretty quick. Just a minor "WTF, a #2 seed" moment. 😂

Didn't realize they waited until next weekend to announce. Seems like it might make sense to start the women's NCAA tournament THIS week.

No worries on the thread title confusion. I figured it out pretty quick. Just a minor "WTF, a #2 seed" moment. 😂

Didn't realize they waited until next weekend to announce. Seems like it might make sense to start the women's NCAA tournament THIS week.
It makes sense this season. Next season when interest in women’s college basketball goes back to normal, it won’t make sense.

My guess at this point:
#1 Overall Seed. South Carolina. They won’t be paired with LSU, so most likely a UCLA, Ohio State or maybe even a UConn.

#2 Overall Seed. Iowa. Won’t be paired with Ohio State, so likely UCLA or LSU or maybe UConn at the two in the bracket. Hoping it’s UCLA.

#3 Overall Seed. Stanford. Can really see them being the #2 overall as well. But won’t be placed with USC or UCLA, so likely Ohio State or LSU at their two seed.

#4 and #5 Overall Seed. USC and Texas. Interchangeable.

it's pretty fun to see how this Iowa team, in 11 days, has worked its way out of South Carolina's region into a region where, if both Iowa and South Carolina kept winning, they would not face off until the National Championship game.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
My guess at this point:
#1 Overall Seed. South Carolina. They won’t be paired with LSU, so most likely a UCLA, Ohio State or maybe even a UConn.

#2 Overall Seed. Iowa. Won’t be paired with Ohio State, so likely UCLA or LSU or maybe UConn at the two in the bracket. Hoping it’s UCLA.

#3 Overall Seed. Stanford. Can really see them being the #2 overall as well. But won’t be placed with USC or UCLA, so likely Ohio State or LSU at their two seed.

I wonder if Ohio State and Iowa will switch places from where they were on Feb 28th. How much damage was done to Ohio State by losing on Friday in the B1G Tournament?

On Feb 28th:

Albany 1

#1 overall seed South Carolina
#7 overall seed IOWA

Albany 2
#2 overall seed Ohio State

Some conferences aren't done yet.
Yep...Big 12 had to play their final 4 during the week so somebody might watch that tourney rather than watch Sponge Bob Square Pants reruns on Sunday afternoon.

Now...they'll watch Monday Night Raw or Law and Order reruns.

My guess at this point:

I think at this point USC is ahead of Stanford.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT