Top CR Restaurants for 2022

Where this list hits:

Irish Democrat overall
Mikhael’s breakfast
Brewhemia coffee
Tornado’s Burgers
Chophouse Downtown as best steakhouse
BoMac’s “American”
QDogs best BBQ (though I hear REALLY good things about the new one in Czech Village)
Villas Patio and Mas Margaritas for Mex
Kathy’s Pies
Union Station’s wings

Total fails:

-No Wawa Carribean
-NaRa isn’t even the best Thai place in town, because the best Asian restaurant is Siamville at Town and Country Shopping Center, AINEC. My favorite restaurant in CR.
-The two best pizzas in town are left off: Roscoe’s (Motown style thick crust) and Need (New Haven thin).
-Map Room deserves a spot on American, Burgers, or All.
-Whoever voted for Carlos O’Kellys needs to be bish-slapped. That spot belongs to El Super Burrito & Lupita’s Bakery (which should also be on the bakery list)
Totally agree with a couple things here:
Wawa is freaking delicious.
And Super Burrito definitely belongs on the list.

One thing I disagree with:
I personally think Need is extremely overrated. I've never had a pizza there that made me think "Man, I need this again."
Tomaso's should be listed though.

Edit: Although it was awesome when Need sold pizza out of that little front window to late night folks downtown. It was a nice drunk stop for some food.

Totally agree with a couple things here:
Wawa is freaking delicious.
And Super Burrito definitely belongs on the list.

One thing I disagree with:
I personally think Need is extremely overrated. I've never had a pizza there that made me think "Man, I need this again."
Tomaso's should be listed though.

Edit: Although it was awesome when Need sold pizza out of that little front window to late night folks downtown. It was a nice drunk stop for some food.
Large thin pepperoni from the Need window is top tier late night drinking food. Not as overrated as Roscoe’s Motown is underrated. It’s a former Tomaso’s that the franchisee left when they altered ingredients. Hence Roscoe’s is more like the original Tomaso’s.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Friggin love that place. Also live less than 3 blocks from it. It's nice living by Tings and Mas Margaritas.
I like to frequent both, live about a 3 minute drive away.

Mexican El Bajio is our favorite. They're supposed be opening another location by the Target on Blairs Ferry.

Lightworks is great for coffee and they recently opened up the doors for indoor dining. Good burgers when the kitchen opens at 11

Rodina is our favorite for upscale dining. Cocktails are always on point too.

Feedwell on Boyson is great for breakfast bakery. Their lunch Cubans are fantastic too.

Bari Italian is the best place I’ve had a meal in CR. Not sure why there is no Italian category, but knowing this town Zio Johno’s and Olive Garden would top the list
I just assumed it was crap since it looked like a yuppie shithole. I’ll have to drop my prejudices and try it.

How do I interpret this: CR has crappy restaurants?

Or ppl from CR have crappy taste?

Or both.

The mecca of Cedar Rapids steak:

o.jpg
Too bad JD’s Steak House is gone.

Speaking of Saucy Focaccia. They opened “The Breakfast Bar” on Blairsferry/Edgewood. The sit down breakfast was all right, but they have a drive through window where you can get breakfast sandwiches to go which is really good IMO.

Pedaler’s Fork (Same owner as The Blind Pig/Cocktails/CRL) has a great breakfast and great Bloody Marys.

Reactions: McLovin32
They were voted for on CommunityVotes Cedar Rapids, and KHAK posted some of the results. No surprise there's plenty of goddamn chain restaurants mentioned. Cedar Rapidians do not know great food, except for #1 in the pizza category.

All Restaurants​

Breakfast​

Asian​

Cafes & Coffee Shops​

Burgers​

Steakhouses​

Pizza​

American​

BBQ​

Mexican​

Bakeries​

Wings​

The fact Third Base isn't even mentioned for wings is a ****ing travesty.
Need pizza tanked worse than godfathers and fong’s???

Bari Italian is the best place I’ve had a meal in CR. Not sure why there is no Italian category, but knowing this town Zio Johno’s and Olive Garden would top the list
I'll have to check that out. Won't lie, I've never even heard of Bari but just checked out the menu. Looks like a solid "date night" spot.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
They were voted for on CommunityVotes Cedar Rapids, and KHAK posted some of the results. No surprise there's plenty of goddamn chain restaurants mentioned. Cedar Rapidians do not know great food, except for #1 in the pizza category.

All Restaurants​

Breakfast​

Asian​

Cafes & Coffee Shops​

Burgers​

Steakhouses​

Pizza​

American​

BBQ​

Mexican​

Bakeries​

Wings​

Granite city is the 4th best “steakhouse”???

All Restaurants​

Breakfast​

Asian​

Cafes & Coffee Shops​

Burgers​

Steakhouses​

Pizza​

American​

BBQ​

Mexican​

Bakeries​

Wings​

Black sheep isn’t in the top 4 of any category?

After a deeper dive, turns out there are some more categories.

PlatinumBari Italian
GoldNapoli's Italian Restaurant
SilverZio Johno's Spaghetti House Restaurant
BronzeBiaggi's Ristorante Italiano
BronzeOlive Garden Italian Restaurant

• Haha
Reactions: ping72 and pezhawk
I'm in the minority on Black Sheep. The room is spectacular but I haven't been that impressed with the food and the owner is a bit of a dbag.

Lots of quality places left off, most have been mentioned but I'll add Local Pour, Popoli, and Kingston's to the Need, Saucy Foccacia, Ting's, Ray’s list.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
In the early 90’s I loved a Starlight burger. Big burger, lots of fries, and soda in glass bottle.

went there in early 2000’s. Wasn’t the same at all.

Decades ago Long John Silvers was voted best seafood in Marshalltown, check mate.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Can't believe the ID got silver in the All Restaurants category.

It's pub food.
To say Zepplin's Menu is inspired by the ID's is an understatement, down to the cheesy wontons. Not an exact copy, but one of the partners that opened Zepplin's came from the ID.

IMHO the main difference between the two places is the atmosphere.

I've been eating at the ID for 30 years and it is the most consistent place in town when it comes to quality of food, and the service is generally pretty solid.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
I’m in Des Moines but what do those of you in CR think of Saucy Focaccia? A high school friend owns it.
Not my cup of tea, burgers are too greasy/juicy? I always end up with indigestion after I eat there, but I know most people love it.

I just assumed it was crap since it looked like a yuppie shithole. I’ll have to drop my prejudices and try it.
Not sure about yuppie in CR, it was full of people in shorts and jeans when we were there, it is at the top end of CR restaurants from a $$$ perspective, but our meals were legit.

I'm in the minority on Black Sheep. The room is spectacular but I haven't been that impressed with the food and the owner is a bit of a dbag.

Lots of quality places left off, most have been mentioned but I'll add Local Pour, Popoli, and Kingston's to the Need, Saucy Foccacia, Ting's, Ray’s list.
We had a bad experience there.
2 of the 4 meals below average.
Service spotty.
Quick take is they want to be upscale but not close - even to the upscale chains - capital grille, ruth c, eddie v’s , etc.

Reactions: hif in fairfax
To say Zepplin's Menu is inspired by the ID's is an understatement, down to the cheesy wontons. Not an exact copy, but one of the partners that opened Zepplin's came from the ID.

IMHO the main difference between the two places is the atmosphere.

I've been eating at the ID for 30 years and it is the most consistent place in town when it comes to quality of food, and the service is generally pretty solid.
TBW has got sick there the two times we ate there. Seriously.

Not my cup of tea, burgers are too greasy/juicy? I always end up with indigestion after I eat there, but I know most people love it.

In all my decades on this earth, I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone complain about their burger being too juicy (sans dripping blood). You are an odd duck.

Reactions: McLovin32
In all my decades on this earth, I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone complain about their burger being too juicy (sans dripping blood). You are an odd duck.
No, I'm a medium guy across the board, love bloody red meat, it's more the buns are soggy with grease or something?

Not sure, but have given them a few shots, and something just doesn't agree with me.

Again most people I know love the place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT