ADVERTISEMENT

Torbee, where's the QC at with UBER

Torbee and the city of Davenport believe that
UBER should comply with the same standards
demanded of Yellow Cab and other taxi services.

Great idea in theory, but it was only a matter of time before the cities wanted their cut. It's basically a taxi service without having to pay the city for a taxi license.

Originally posted by MN.HAWK:
Which are.....
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Most cities require a background check in order to get a taxi license. And you have to meet a certain guideline in the municipal code. Here in Cedar Rapids, that is municipal code 52 (can't find any specifics on it though)

Originally posted by fredjr82:

Which are.....
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Most cities require a background check in order to get a taxi license. And you have to meet a certain guideline in the municipal code. Here in Cedar Rapids, that is municipal code 52 (can't find any specifics on it though)
UBEr runs a background check, have to have insurance on file, and licensed. My issue with anything like this is I'm quite libertarian so I look at it very Ron Swanson like. The revenue for the local municipalities will come naturally.

Whatever happened to "Hey, I have some apples, would you like to buy them?" "Yes, thank you!" That's as complicated as it should be to open a business in this country.

Originally posted by Wahawk56:
They were hiring on indeed.com a while ago.
I think this is how they gauge interest. I filled out an app mostly because I'm very curious how it works on the backend. I have very little interest in actually driving people but I wanted to check it out. So I stated an app a month or so back, maybe even in Dec. I can't remember, and never finished uploading my ins. and registration. I have been reminded, very frequently, to finish my application and they even had people in town over a couple of different days to help people finish their applications.

Part of why I asked was the emails have gotten so frequent that I thought maybe it was live already and they were still in need of drivers due to demand. I finished the application this morning and then looked and realized it still isn't live in QC.

Originally posted by Wahawk56:
They were hiring on indeed.com a while ago.
I think this is how they gauge interest. I filled out an app mostly because I'm very curious how it works on the backend. I have very little interest in actually driving people but I wanted to check it out. So I stated an app a month or so back, maybe even in Dec. I can't remember, and never finished uploading my ins. and registration. I have been reminded, very frequently, to finish my application and they even had people in town over a couple of different days to help people finish their applications.

Part of why I asked was the emails have gotten so frequent that I thought maybe it was live already and they were still in need of drivers due to demand. I finished the application this morning and then looked and realized it still isn't live in QC.
MNHawk is exactly right.

They don't talk details with anyone - even city officials - until they determine if they are coming for sure, and they don't know that until they know if they can get enough drivers and what the demand might be.

So long story short, I have no idea.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Uber recently backed out of starting their operation
in Bloomington, Illinois. Legal counsel for the city
said Uber needed to be in compliance with both the
city and state of Illinois laws. So it was put on hold.

Uber headquarters said that their goal is to hire
1 million female drivers by the year 2020.

As I understand it, you would make your call for
a taxi over the internet. Uber would have the latest
technology to make it work.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:

Uber headquarters said that their goal is to hire
1 million female drivers by the year 2020.
Ij4tnDj.gif

How does one go about guaranteeing they get a female driver?

One of the issues is with insurance. A typical policy for a regular driver is not going to cover you for commercial purposes (Über, delivering pizzas). Uber's policy will cover you if you have a customer in the car, but not while you're waiting for a customer (and possibly not on the way to pick someone up, though I'm not sure about that). So if you get hit while you're working (just waiting for a customer), you're likely SOL. Über has encouraged drivers, particularly in California, to lie on insurance/registration paperwork.

Originally posted by Wendy79:
One of the issues is with insurance. A typical policy for a regular driver is not going to cover you for commercial purposes (Über, delivering pizzas). Uber's policy will cover you if you have a customer in the car, but not while you're waiting for a customer (and possibly not on the way to pick someone up, though I'm not sure about that). So if you get hit while you're working (just waiting for a customer), you're likely SOL. Über has encouraged drivers, particularly in California, to lie on insurance/registration paperwork.
Isn't that what people do anyway?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT